Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2010, 07:46 PM   #16
kawasakifreak77
the Asphalt Cowboy

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkpunch
the Custom has a Hi/Low range- you have 5 gears in low and 5 gears in high, shift it on the fly. I rode mine like a six speed- 1 thru 5 and then click it into high for "sixth". Really a fun bike.
Nifty! I seen the little ATCs & posties that have 'em, just not a road bike.

Keep on keepin' on Hondo!

1974 XL350 'Buttons' Scooter trash goes flat track racing!
kawasakifreak77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 08:18 PM   #17
bluebye
Skin it back

Oddometer: 1,440
Pinesol?
Old 03-07-2010, 08:22 PM   #18
Hondo OP
What if its a Samsquamch?

Oddometer: 9,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebye
Pinesol?
I knew that was gonna come up.

I am trying Pine Sol on the recommendation of the folks at the DOHC Forums.

Seems to be working well in the soak. Won't damage the delicate parts, degreases great, and rises away easily.

"Life's an adventure, and I refuse to live a boring one."

Hondo screwed with this post 03-08-2010 at 06:20 AM
Hondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 05:00 PM   #19
Hondo OP

Day 6

Kind of a rotten weather day here in Denver, so I took the carbs down to the car wash to hit them with some hi temp, hi pressure rinse water.

They came out of the Pine Sol unbelievably clean -

A few closeups - I am a believer in this cleaner!

I set the carbs aside and got to work on the bowls, slides and other parts. They cleaned up nicely in the Pine Sol as well. I then washed the parts in Dawn dishwashing detergent (without lotion).

Some clean parts -

Slide it Earl! (I'm dating myself...)

I polished up the needle seats with Brasso and q-tips, and I shined these up while I was at it -

While everything was drying I made a run to my favorite Ace Hardware to get stainless steel allen head scews for the float bowls and the Vacuum covers-

Functional and good looking -

After getting the slides & their associated parts installed, I installed the jets, the floats and the idle screws - ( except the main jets, which I will be replacing, too rich )

Tomorrow I'll be out to get the new main jets and finish the carb assembly.

I also scraped uff the carbon "ridge at the top of the cylinder using a bunch of new razor blades. Once the carbon was removed there was no ridge at all -

Old 03-09-2010, 08:16 PM   #20
Hondo OP

Day 7

Didn't get much done today.

Drove across town today to Thornton Colorado (Sun Motorsports) and bought the 4 replacement jets (#68) for $5.99 each - ouch. Also picked up some Threebond 1194.

Installed the jets, float bowls and the accelerator pump.

Carbs are now complete- sorry, no pics.

Old 03-09-2010, 08:47 PM   #21
Yarddog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
Pinesol for carbs? Why that when there is much better stuff around for that? Lacquer thinner works good, if you don't wanna use carb cleaner... When ya take 'em out, use carb choke cleaner to get the muck off... works real well, and blow them all off with compressed air, down the holes and passages too...
Yarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:56 PM   #22
Hondo OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarddog
Pinesol for carbs? Why that when there is much better stuff around for that? Lacquer thinner works good, if you don't wanna use carb cleaner... When ya take 'em out, use carb choke cleaner to get the muck off... works real well, and blow them all off with compressed air, down the holes and passages too...
Laquer thinner and carb cleaner are VERY toxic, where Pine Sol is cheap and safe.

Besides, soaking a bank of carbs in laquer thinner will clean them up, but any rubber items will be destroyed. Pine Sol will not damage those items (there are diaphrams located between the individual carbs that cannot be accessed unless the entire bank of carbs is disassembled).

There is a method to this madness....

Old 03-09-2010, 09:10 PM   #23
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,306
I've heard conflicting reports on carb soaking. Some say that unless you can absolutely and positively confirm that EVERY piece of rubber or plastic is out of the carbs (and some carbs have pressed in jets with rubber seals that are best left alone), you never want to soak them in any aggressive solvent, especially a carb dunk tank. Others say that you're better off with localized cleaning with compressed air and carb cleaner.

I haven't heard the pinesol angle, but it might be a good compromise - a less aggressive solvent for soaking.

Nice work.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:14 PM   #24
Hondo OP

The folks at the DOHC Honda Forums have been doing this for some time without any issues.

You must rinse the carbs off very well with fresh water, blow out passages with compressed air and allow to air dry of course.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:36 PM   #25
Yarddog
Gnarly Adventurer

Never heard of Pinesol soaking, and you make good points...yep, lacquer thinner and carb cleaner will definitely cause yer owies to sting a bit, so I guess you can consider them toxic...otherwise, I've been using both for fifty years, hain't keeled me yet!!! I reckon if I drank 'em, I'd be a little puny...even dead... and there are legal ways to dispose of lacquer thinner... the carb cleaner simply evaporates...but they work REALLLLLLY well for this kind of thang!

As far as being harmful to rubber and plastic parts...absolutely true...however, in my opinion, ya gotta get all those things outta the carbs before ya clean them anyway...If I figure on not doing that, then, yeah, a less drastic method will work...

If Pinesol works for ya, wonderful, I have learned something...I think I'd use cleaning solvent before I did that, since I have a five gallon jug on hand at all times, and it's fairly benign, actually...and there is a nearby source!!!
Old 03-09-2010, 10:38 PM   #26
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarddog
As far as being harmful to rubber and plastic parts...absolutely true...however, in my opinion, ya gotta get all those things outta the carbs before ya clean them anyway...If I figure on not doing that, then, yeah, a less drastic method will work...
At least on four-cyl Hondas, I don't know of any way to remove all the plastic and rubber without disassembly of the carb bank. And that's really something you don't want to do unless you absolutely have to.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:44 AM   #27
Dave in Wi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,913
I guess the Pine Sol method has not made its way to the DOHC "F" site, or I've missed it.

When I cleaned the carbs on my 900 I had to replace the rubber bowl gaskets, the o-rings and washers under the pilot screws, and some of the o-rimgs between the carbs (not fun, test the carbs before you put them back in!). Just some food for thought. Great job on the 1000.

I'm curious to see what condition your cam chain tensioner is in, seems to be a weak point on these. Do you plan to drop the oil pan and clean out the pickup screen?
1988 DT50
"Daddy, it's five o'clock sometime!"
Dave in Wi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:05 AM   #28
Yarddog
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Wi
When I cleaned the carbs on my 900 I had to replace the rubber bowl gaskets, the o-rings and washers under the pilot screws, and some of the o-rimgs between the carbs (not fun, test the carbs before you put them back in!). Just some food for thought.
Yeah, this I agree with...in my way of doin' things, I'm gonna do it all, I'm gonna do it right, or I'm not gonna do it!!! I agree that a carb clean and rebuild should be done at the time you're doin' everything else, especially with replacing the intake manifolds, but I've done enough carbs in my time, automotive and motorcycle, to know that you really gotta use some aggressive stuff to get 'em clean, and most of the time, the project can be a real PITA!

So I'm interested to see how this Pinesol method will work!!! With all the focussed degreasers out there, like Purple Power, solvent, etc, I woulda never thought about Pinesol!!!

A lotta times on smaller carbs, like these on this bike, you can get away with simply spraying them inside and out with spray carb cleaner and compressed air...the OP indicates that he is enviromentally sensitive, I respect his opinion in that regard, so that option is out for him!!!

This IS an interesting project...it's kinda rare to see anyone take on this kind of project on a 25 year old motorcycle, because of the market value of the motorcycle compared to the cost, in terms of money AND labor, of the project!!! At the same time, these are very fine machines, and if one is happy with the bike as a whole, yep, makes good sense to me to rebuild it!
Old 03-10-2010, 11:08 AM   #29
Brad Felmey
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,987
I'm saving up for an ultrasonic cleaner. I'll fill it with Pine-Sol.

Oh, and that's a '66 Dart.
Brad Felmey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 11:23 AM   #30
s.c.m.
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Very good thread!

Never heard of Pine Sol, can anybody please tell me what it is?

Best regards and good luck!

Sven
s.c.m. is offline   Reply With Quote