Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2010, 02:23 PM   #16
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,811
Beautiful!! Gotta love this kind of low stress adventure!
Old 03-09-2010, 03:08 PM   #17
ktmnate OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedShred
that's why this is a group effort
Thanks Ted. I didn't want to say anything and risk being hit again
ktmnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 03:12 PM   #18
ktmnate OP
Beastly Adventurer

In this pix that MothChick took, you could see where Dougs front went out from under him. He was going 40mph and got launched prety good. There were scratches and broken bits on both sides of the bike. I have to say that he is an animal. I would have just stayed there and cried for my momma!

Old 03-09-2010, 03:13 PM   #19
ktmnate OP
Beastly Adventurer

I also have to thank MotoChick for taking all of my pix. She did a great job and was able to get pix on the move.

Nate
Old 03-09-2010, 03:19 PM   #20
ktmnate OP
Beastly Adventurer

Alright Motochick, who is leaving stuff out now?

Here is Escooby and Sarah:

I know MotoChick alrady posted the picture but forgot to tell everyone that he was afraid of men! He wouldn't let any of the guys get close. He would just run. And in the morning he ruled the town. He just ran around across the highway, on the beach.

Another thing you forgot was my bike problems.

The KTM started cutting in and out. At first I thought it was a carb issue. It would surge and backfire. I rode it all the way to San Francisquito and started work. The backfiring really sounded like carb vent.

while everyone else chilled:
Attached Images

ktmnate screwed with this post 03-09-2010 at 03:26 PM
Old 03-09-2010, 03:42 PM   #21
ktmnate OP
Beastly Adventurer

some more chlling:

I find the leaking vacume ports on the intake manifold and patch them up and put it back together and go for a ride:

She was running like great:

As it turns out later, I only fixed part of the problem. It didn't cut out during my 5 minute test ride. It saved it for the morning when I was all loaded up.
Old 03-09-2010, 05:20 PM   #22
TedShred
PHAT BASTARD

Oddometer: 974
I really enjoyed the ride from B of LA to San Francisquito. The road is wide, easy and just enough sand to keep it smooth. The accommodations are a bit primitive but they didn't run out of tacos and beer

Dead Sexy workin' on his lil KTM

Yep, this place sucks

The full moon was crazy bright, no need for a flash light

Word got out that we had a man down and the Army Medicos showed up to check out our boy. They told him to suck it up and gave him some pills for the pain Must be the first time a gringo ever got drugs FROM the Army

Capped the evening off with a cactus bonfire and a few beers. Life is good

2006 DRZ400E
2005 R1200GS
TedShred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 07:33 PM   #23
DrBlackbird
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
From all the Pics of "FOOD".......You would think this is a ride report of "Old Goldwingers" hitting all the Dennys' and I-Hops........
Hope ya'll got the "Gremlins" worked out and the "Bruises" worked out and the rest of the trip was smooth sailing.............Would have loved to be on this one.
Damn, Do I have "Cabin Fever" with all this winter weather we are having....and my bike has been sitting up so long this winter it has a layer of stuff on it.....I don't know if a carb rebuild is all it'll need to get on the road for spring.
DrBlackbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 10:20 PM   #24
Bo Pop Pop
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Does your brother . . .

. . . host a late night comedy show?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedShred
Here's a bad pic of the best Italian food in San Diego at Fillipi's!!

"It's easier to stay found - than to get un-lost"
Bo Pop Pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 02:52 AM   #25
holckster
dougholck

Oddometer: 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmnate
In this pix that MothChick took, you could see where Dougs front went out from under him. He was going 40mph and got launched prety good. There were scratches and broken bits on both sides of the bike. I have to say that he is an animal. I would have just stayed there and cried for my momma!

That's me in the previous post and that pic does sort of look like a certian celebrity, actually I've met Huell Howser (California's Gold TV host) http://www.calgold.com/ and we really look like bro's, but that's for another thread.

================================================== =============
Here was the end of this adventure and the start of another for me.

Yes my MOMMA told me many times that motorcycles are dangerous and I would hurt myself. My wife of 36 years took our first date on my motorcycle and knows I have an incurrable need to ride and supports my pashion.

Sand and my GS Adv have never liked each other much, but she has been all over Death Valley, Burr Trail, The Dempster and Dalton Hwys and many other asphaltless trails and seemed to have estabilished an understanding.

I am 60 and have been riding for 50 years, raced amature motocross in the early 70's, have owned way too many motorcycles inclucing Yamaha 250 MX, Honda Gold Wing, Harley's, Ducati 998 and BMW's. Have had zero broken bones or serious mishaps in estimated 200K of riding (there was that dog vs my Yamaha 80 when I was 15, and the pickup that pulled out in front of me and I lowsided the 175 Yamaha and slid under the running board at 17, the Honda 750 which lowsided after a long slide deceleration from 70mph when a coat came out from under the bungee (bungees suck, ROK Straps rock) and lodged in the rear wheel in my 30's, maybe a few others) but I alway walked away in reasonable condition. Back then not actually ATGATT.

But, this time I had aired down the TKC's and had enjoyed the last 75 miles of dirt, rock, ruts and sand. When I saw this 100 foot stretch of deeper sand, I was up on the pegs, on the gas, weight back and concentrated on looking thru to where I wanted to go. It was about noon.

The next instant it got very quite, wierd flying sensation, felt impact on right shoulder, then what the F#@k is this sand in my helmet ??? and what is that strange moaning sound ????? Realizing I was on my back on the ground I opened my faceshield and was looking up at my taillight and determined the moaning sound was ME !!!!! Then the pain hit and I knew my ride was done.

I was following Nate, Ted, and Russell and knew Frank and John were behind me so help would arrive eventually. Managed to scoot myself so my helmet was shaded by my top box and was able to get some water out of the black RKA bag on the top of the box. Soon heard engine approaching as Nate and his wife arrived. I had gotten my helmet off but was in terrible shoulder/back pain and was unable to get verticle w/o help. Got to the shade of a catus after others arrived, they righted and repaired the GS and gathered my debri that was scattered along the trail. Took some medication that I think Nate had and rested till heard Ted announce it was time to ride and it was only 15 miles to destination.

Managed to get back on the bike and rode several miles then got a front tire flat. Ted and helpers managed to repair tire and we made it to so called civalization. Would have been a great location but I was DONE! Laid down and tried to determine what I had done to myself and what was I going to do next. Someone brought me a 3 fish taco dinner which I ate 2 1/2 of. They were good! Thanks guys for the TLC and checking in on me several times to inquire if I needed anything.

The army paramedic ( did not ask to see his diploma as he looked 17 and probably did not have one ) check me over and I think pronunced me GRINGO. He gave me a card with 10 tablets which I should take 2 now and 1 every 8 hours which I did but did not get much sleep that night.

Next morning (Sunday) a deal was made to haul the bike and myself by pickup back to Bay of LA and I would rest there before trying to make it to a clinic somewhere. Ride was enjoyable and young kid driving took it slow and easy and I managed without much pain to endure to 95 mile ride arriving around 12:30pm. No rooms available at the hotel so the Canadian couple we encountered before helped the kid unload the bike, helped me reassemble the bike and gear up. Got fuel and rode 200 miles to El Rosario w/o stopping and w/o much pain. Got room and had dinner at Mama's again. Kept up on the pills and actually got alittle sleep.

(Monday) Took 30 minutes to figure out how to get out of bed (extreem pain when I would try to roll or raise my torso), finally hooked my toes on the adjacent bed and got verticle. Took a shower ( another pill ) , loaded up, checked out, fueled up and actually felt reasonably well but sore.
Left at 7:30 am and headed North riding straight thru to San Deigo, only stopping at 3 or 4 military check points and the border (none required a search) arriving at the 805/Mirimar exit and hit Mc'Ds for first food of the day at 1:00pm.

Was intending to go to Kaiser San Diego but was feeling good and decided to leave bike and Russell's place to be hauled home when others returned and his assistant helped me store bike, acquire a ticket and took me to the airport (thank you Heather). Figured I would go to my local Kaiser in Elk Grove. Boarded 5:30 flight after getting a shoe shine to kill some time.

Arrived 7:00pm at Sacramento airport and my employee met me for ride home to Lodi (did I mention my wife was in Hawaii durring this week with our grown kids?) , however upon awaking from nap on plane my condition was not good. Felt like crap, shortness of breath and sore as hell.
WTF, it had only been 2 1/2 days since injury, 450 mile motorcycle ride and 1 1/2 hour plane ride, what could be the problem??? Had him head straight for Kaiser Emergency Room arriving about 8:00pm. Sent him home and took my place in line.

Got X-rayed and diagnosed with 3 broken right rear ribs ( #3-4-5) and partially collapsed right lung , doc says due to airplane cabin pressure. Lesson is if you FLY off your bike and injure rib area, do not FLY on an airplane. 2 day hospital stay on Oxygen with breathing exercises and excellent drugs managed to get lung fixed w/o chest tube. Cat-scan showed nothing to do for ribs but let heal so went home Wednesday about 2:00 pm and wait for wife to return home Friday night (did I mention she is a RN and yes I notified and stayed in contact as soon as I had phone service down in Mexico).

Saturday, 1 week post crash I started to feel better and the last 3 days have each been a 100% improvment of the previous. I'm off the Oxycodone (Percocet), ribs have firmed up, only slight ache under right shoulder blade.

Bike is in the garage (thanks guys) and needs new windshield and cosmetic touch ups. Did not get to study accident scene but bike went down on the right side but ended up on it's left side facing back the way I had come. In the previous posts picture of the bike you can see where the rear TKC landed so I believe the bike endoed and flipped in the air landing on the rear tire and falling back or it would have been on top of me. I felt something bump me when I was off the bike so think it was right behind me after I went over handlebars.

BTW, I was wearing my Olympia jacket, BMW pants, Sidi Boots, Racer gloves and Schuberth helmet. Helmet is scratched, rest are OK and all did thier jobs

I hold no grudge against the GS and blame only myself for drifting to close to the center berm. I really regret not having completed the trip and thankful all that continued managed to overcome their own personal challenges that make these trips so memorable. I met some great new people who I hope to ride with again.

Doc and my wife say I will heal and I intend to continue riding. Will get the GS fixed up, serviced and plan to leave June 14 for Dawson City. Yukon Terr. for the Dust to Dawson Rally (D2D). Already registered for the August 31-Sept 3 BMW Curve Cowboy Reunion Rally in Killington Vermont so will see you on the road.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

04 BMW 1150GS Adventure
08 DR650
02 BMW K1200LTe
05 Yamaha TW200
BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE

holckster screwed with this post 03-10-2010 at 09:05 AM
holckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 06:28 AM   #26
Thorne
Sherpa-ing around

Oddometer: 1,206

Thorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 12:12 PM   #27
MotoChick
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
San Francisquito was absolutely freakin amazing.............the hospitality was incredible. We show up out of the blue and they started fixing us lunch and had cold beers!!

I did have some worries about how close Ktmnate and Tedshred were getting.......

The day turned out alright.........Doug was checked out by the Military paramedics and Nate (sort of, half way) fixed up the KTM and we had a huge fire on the beach.....can't ask for much more than that......

The next morning we had another great breakfast and enjoyed the beautiful sunrise.....

Then it was time to get Doug's bike loaded......

and then we were waving goodbye as Doug left for Bay of LA...

Time to pack up and get some gas before we head for San Ignacio...

One last picture.......

And we're on the road again........

San Ignacio here we come............
MotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 12:32 PM   #28
MotoChick
Adventurer

Today we're headed to San Ignacio -- the San Ignacio Springs B&B with the yurts -- GREAT place to stay, fabulous hospitality!!!!!!!

Oh and a very scary guard dog......

We headed to the town sqaure and had a quick bite...

and a couple of refreshments.....

the mission is incredible...

umm, not really sure what the hell Tedshred is doing here......

we head back to the B&B and have a great dinner and decide to go to Rice and Beans to see about a tire for Russell........

success!!!!!! so we head back and watch, I mean help, Russell change his tire....

had a great breakfast and packed up.......then it was torilla time!!!!!!!!

Next stop -- whale tour and then Scorpion Bay!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-10-2010, 01:05 PM   #29
TedShred
PHAT BASTARD

Oddometer: 974
The ride to San Ignacio through El Arco was easy and uneventful with some very nice cactus scenery along the way.

Other than a couple of rocky hill climbs the road was similar to the day before out of B of LA. KTMnate was haulin' ass despite his bike still cutting out because of loose battery cables.

MX 18 from El Arco to Hwy 1 South of G Negro is a 4 lane super dirt hwy

We passed this rig in the mountain 48 hours before south or El Rosario. Took them two days to go 200 miles. Took up almost the whole width of the two lane hwy.

AFter cocktails and tacos in the town square I tried kayaking on the river

as motochick mentioned it took 4 guys to change a tire. I supervised and heckled

Gary and Terry at the Ignacio Springs serve up the BEST breakfast in Baja. If you haven't stayed there, you're missing out

The 24' "Yurt"

2006 DRZ400E
2005 R1200GS
TedShred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 01:39 PM   #30
MotoChick
Adventurer

So we're off........

There's some pavement first and then the dirt begins.....

All is going smooth and then we see Tedshred's bike.......

There's a lot of oil and Ted is gonna need to get his bike fixed....then a truck pulls up and is willing to take Ted and his bike back to San Ignacio...very nice!!!!!!

then we're waving goodbye....

well, time to get going...

WTF??????

found out this guy has been waiting with this truck for 3 days.....

he says he's good, so we take off again...

now it's time to see some whales....

Ktmnate gets a little sleepy and decides to take a little rest while we are in search of whales...

got to touch one mama whale -- but she was a big tease and didn't stick around too long...

Russell was our resident bandido......

it was beautiful day....

well the tour ended and we decide to get going.......

rut roh...........what's going on with Bfrank????

Here comes Russell....

and John......

Bfrank had to do some work on his peg........had a missing bolt....nothing a few zip ties couldn't handle.....

and a strap.....

and we're off again....