Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2010, 01:19 AM   #16
_Magoo_
master of disaster....

Oddometer: 5,352
I recently had 105 ft. of seamless guttering installed, two runs with a total of 3 downspouts, no old guttering to remove.

I got quotes from ABC seamless, Albuquerque Seamless, and Thompson Heating & AC. ABC seamless was the most expensive by far.

Thompson gave me an estimate of $730, and they did a great job. I highly recommend them.

_Magoo_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 05:46 AM   #17
Beemer Bob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,572
128' of 5" seamless aluminum gutter and 6 14' downs on my hanger ----$800.

Bob
Beemer Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 05:49 AM   #18
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 6,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer Bob
128' of 5" seamless aluminum gutter and 6 14' downs on my hanger ----$800.

Bob
That's a good price.

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 06:29 AM   #19
LuciferMutt OP
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by burque magoo
I recently had 105 ft. of seamless guttering installed, two runs with a total of 3 downspouts, no old guttering to remove.

I got quotes from ABC seamless, Albuquerque Seamless, and Thompson Heating & AC. ABC seamless was the most expensive by far.

Thompson gave me an estimate of $730, and they did a great job. I highly recommend them.

Thank you! Will give them a call. Did you get steel or aluminum gutters? Competent installation crew and not a bunch of sloppy messy guys who trample everything? Did they install the gutter up under your drip edge correctly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefjerky
how often does it rain in ABQ?
About 7-10" a year in ABQ. The problem is our summer monsoons which can and do drop a half inch of rain in a half hour. If you don't have an adequate drainage system you WILL have a flood in your yard, as happened to me several times last year since my current gutters are dropping in the wrong place and can't handle the water volume that comes off the roof during those storms.

Also I am planning on installing a rainwater capture system and need good gutters as a starting place.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka

LuciferMutt screwed with this post 03-09-2010 at 06:53 AM
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:54 AM   #20
CA_Strom
Cunning Linguist

Oddometer: 2,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilNinjaDog
Thank you! Will give them a call. Did you get steel or aluminum gutters? Competent installation crew and not a bunch of sloppy messy guys who trample everything? Did they install the gutter up under your drip edge correctly?

About 7-10" a year in ABQ. The problem is our summer monsoons which can and do drop a half inch of rain in a half hour. If you don't have an adequate drainage system you WILL have a flood in your yard, as happened to me several times last year since my current gutters are dropping in the wrong place and can't handle the water volume that comes off the roof during those storms.

Also I am planning on installing a rainwater capture system and need good gutters as a starting place.
The guys that did my gutters had this very cool device that they rigged up. It was basically a flat pry bar hinged on the front and back to to long aluminum poles. The could reach up under the drip edge with one handle while pulling back with the other to pry it up a bit. The gutters were then mounted under the edge, and many idiot contractors skip this step.

For drainage, I ran 4" pvc drain pipes underground up to each downspout, these form a "U" shaped loop around my entire lot and exit through two curb cores into the street gutter.. No drainage issues.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:17 AM   #21
_Magoo_
master of disaster....

Quote:
"Thank you! Will give them a call. Did you get steel or aluminum gutters? Competent installation crew and not a bunch of sloppy messy guys who trample everything? Did they install the gutter up under your drip edge correctly?"

They are aluminum seamless gutters, with a baked on enamel finish. Installers did a great job, no complaints. The sales guy/estimater that I dealt with is Marvin, and their number is 884-2675.

Old 03-09-2010, 03:21 PM   #22
LuciferMutt OP
Rides slow bike slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by burque magoo
They are aluminum seamless gutters, with a baked on enamel finish. Installers did a great job, no complaints. The sales guy/estimater that I dealt with is Marvin, and their number is 884-2675.
Just made an appointment to see the same guy this Friday. I'll post the results.

FWIW anybody have an opinion on which is better? Aluminum or galvanized steel gutters? What tends to last longer?

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
Old 03-09-2010, 05:39 PM   #23
_Magoo_
master of disaster....

Seamless Gutters
There are many different gutter materials to choose from, including steel, aluminum, vinyl, copper. Many types of gutters (steel and vinyl in particular) are sold in 10 lengths and require dozens of seams fastened with slip fittings, each one is a weak spot and a potential leak site. Another alternative well worth considering is the installation of seamless aluminum gutters. Seamless gutters must be fabricated on-site by a professional contractor,
The term seamless gutters can be confusing because there are seams in the system. The seams are only at the corners and downspout outlets.These joints are fastened more securely and sealed for stability and leak resistance. The Seamless Gutter itself is continuous which makes them both strong and visually more appealing.

go to seamlessgutters.com, (that is where I got above information from)---I was pretty sure that seamless gutters are all aluminum, because they roll the raw material off at the job site, and cut/press it to length and shape---that's how they can do it with minimal seams.

Good Luck , let us know how it turns out!

magoo

Old 03-09-2010, 06:35 PM   #24
LuciferMutt OP
Rides slow bike slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by burque magoo[SIZE=2
--I was pretty sure that seamless gutters are all aluminum

Nope...ABC seamless makes theirs out of galvanized steel. Same extrusion process but their gutters are heavier and much stronger. Not sure I need the extra strength but I'm not too fond of the idea of replacing them again in 10 years if they rust away eventually.

Old 03-09-2010, 08:27 PM   #25
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Quote:
Nope...ABC seamless makes theirs out of galvanized steel. Same extrusion process but their gutters are heavier and much stronger. Not sure I need the extra strength but I'm not too fond of the idea of replacing them again in 10 years if they rust away eventually.
Galvanized is more of a pain-in-the-ass to hang also; it folds much more easily.

Old 03-09-2010, 08:44 PM   #26
BillsR100
Happy Paleoflatus

Oddometer: 2,972
You can have all mine. I took most of mine off my house, left the ones on over the front door and back door.
In our part of the country (middle oklahoma) when it rains, it rains pretty hard and they just over flow causing the water to flow back against the house.
I still dont know why homes have gutters, it is a fashion thing? Left over from when people saved clean rain water in barrels? I'm serious!
BillsR100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:00 PM   #27
CA_Strom
Cunning Linguist

Oddometer: 2,178
Quote:
The seamless aluminum gutters I had extruded onsite are pretty fricking strong. You can hang from them and they don't bend. Even my 200+ lb. ass on a ladder resting on the gutters does not deflect them.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:55 PM   #28
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillsR100
You can have all mine. I took most of mine off my house, left the ones on over the front door and back door.
In our part of the country (middle oklahoma) when it rains, it rains pretty hard and they just over flow causing the water to flow back against the house.
I still dont know why homes have gutters, it is a fashion thing? Left over from when people saved clean rain water in barrels? I'm serious!
Ever had a flooded basement or slipped and fell on a frozen porch? That's why. Your gutters may have had plugged outlets, or they may have been hung with too little fall, or they may have needed additional downspouts.

Old 03-10-2010, 06:57 PM   #29
LuciferMutt OP
Rides slow bike slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillsR100
A good gutter system manages water so effectively you won't know it's there. Why do houses have them? Any idea how many gallons of water even a light rainfall drops on your roof? A 2000 sq ft roof will collect over 600 gallons of water from just .5" of rainfall. Would you rather have that water steadily collected, diverted and drained AWAY from your house or would rather have it all sinking into the ground around your foundation? If your gutters were overflowing, they were too small or more likely clogged-- you can get big honkin' gutters to handle some crazy rainfall.

I have what's called a "positive pitch" flat roof. It is a built up roof (tar and gravel) that slopes down about 6-8" over a 30 foot run. So it's flat enough that the water doesn't start coming off immediately when it rains -- but when the water DOES start flowing off the one edge that has a gutter, it comes off in torrents. Last summer I had 2" of standing water on my patio because my crappy little plastic gutter overflowed and didn't channel the water off to the side of my house.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:15 PM   #30
racer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,537
47 feet of aluminum gutter installed on the second floor, 154 bucks. I don't know why you fuckers pay so much else where. I see 30,000 dollar bath room do overs on TV. WTF, where are you guys buying your stuff. Get real. But then again, you think half a mil for a house is good deal.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: