User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2011, 09:45 PM   #1
SleazyRider OP
Desolate Loner

Oddometer: 160
Manboy in the Promised Land: Free Bike to Oblivion

I've been meaning to post up and start a thread here at some point; and what better time than now, with the CB and me holed up in Quetzaltenango, brushing up on our espanol and taking a cat nap before beginning the next leg of this strange journey into the promised land...

But listen, lets start this right and go back, way back.

I've been on the road for some time now, but it all begins in June.
I was growing old and my skin was cold and I was tired of my job and i was tired of living in the suburbs of greater New York.

A tired story I know, but it's my story and you have to establish some sort of setting here.

A job, an apartment, a car...all lost to the sands of time now and/or floating around Long Island, NY...

And yet...the CB500T remains.

Then, as it is now.

Enduring. Somehow.

The Cb500T is my bike man, and a gift from a good friend.

Back then, it just stood there, waiting to be kicked over.

And a ticket waiting to be punched.

Dempster Highway @ midnight

A ticket to the promised land.

SleazyRider screwed with this post 12-31-2011 at 10:12 AM
SleazyRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 12:05 AM   #2
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,126
Kick it over, punch that ticket...let's ride.

larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 01:06 PM   #3
Benjava
?

Oddometer: 1,920
Old 12-21-2011, 01:11 PM   #4
petefromberkeley
-

Oddometer: 3,292
This could be a good one
Old 12-21-2011, 05:27 PM   #5
SleazyRider OP
Desolate Loner

A Brief Sojourn in the Northeast Kingdom

The Legend of the Manboy in the Promised Land;
found among the papers of a lonesome adventurer...

The countdown to the end begins today and it's a fitting time to start a tale. Me and the CB are in old Guatemala now but our journey started many moons ago back in old New York. In June, to be correct.
We can start there.

an excerpt from the journal of Sleazy Rider aka Ryder Strong aka Pipe Adams aka...

Ah, there is nothing better than blowing an entire day’s budget on a hotel room on your second day on the road. F&$k you mother nature. Why is it 41 degrees in the middle of June? And wet?

The skies were open all day, the motorcycle God’s crying their tears from heaven. Shivering and alone in McDonalds @ 7:30 pm I relented and got a room in one of those kitschy White Mountain towns I used to go to with my family when I was a kid. It could be anywhere around here, but the town’s name is Gorham. I passed Santa’s Village and Six Gun City on the way, such strange little theme parks, and a remembrence was dreamt of those weird and stressful summer childhood vacations spent in the Lesser White North.
Give me cold and give me wet, but give me one or the other, for I can do them both, but either or. This shit’s hard to do on a bike. For comparison, say if you don’t ride, wet yourself down with a hose and ride as fast as you can on a bicycle for 9 hours.

My waterproof jacket is only half so, protecting my precious Canadian loons and paper dollars but not sparing my Flip from the elements. My precious little Flip, it may be done for, and after so many adventures (the flip took a dip, haha). Rain pants gifted to me before the trip have been torn asunder whilst kicking over the CB, rendering them useless.
Well, whatever, thats enough of that.

Bike is running eh…its running. The chain is f@#ked up in some way that I can’t explain. This bike has never been good to it’s chains. There’s no exception here, and I don’t think this one will see me through the wilds of Canada. I have my repair tools, but we’ll see. Its violent action has already caused the sprocket cover plate to shed a precious screw, integral to the operation of the clutch. In a stroke of luck, I was able to find the right screw at the first place I looked, an ACE hardware store in St Johnsbury, VT. Huh, the last time I had to replace it, which was many moons ago, twas unobtanium anywhere on Long Island and had to be sourced from afar. Front brake squeals like a little pig, nonstop and LOUD, whenever I apply some pressure. I’ve got some caliper lube, but who wants to dissasemble that assembly in the rain? I’ll get to it at some point. Gas mileage was poor on the way up, getting about 40 mpg when it should be 50 mpg. It seems to be getting better after I synched the carbs a bit. This bike is a cantankerous little bitch, and like many relationships in my life, requires a lot of attention. I won’t give up on the ol’ gal though. She may be tamed, but not yet.

A momentary lapse in the vicious rains coincided with a visit to the Magic Hat brewery in Burlington, Vermont. This was no coincidence people. Look, do yourself a favor and go back and read my beer reviews of Magic Hat’s precious little brews, for I am enamored. Yet, remember and know that I trust no one and that it is difficult for me to unconditionally love anything, let along a product. So, it is difficult to be objective. And I am being entirely objective when I say that the Magic Hat brewery is f*&king awesome. They have free beer. Well, free samples in little double shot glasses, but free nonetheless. A lot of thought goes into Magic Hat’s products, with each brew bearing its own intricately designed artwork replete with adorable labels and placed in magical boxes. The brewery is decked out with tasteful metal sculptures and art work everywhere. The first thing you see is this weird welded up metal tower. Climb the spiral stairs inside to the very tippy top, but don’t forget to feast your eyes on the caleidoscope on the way up. You have been warned. I drank my fill of #9, yet sadly was unable to be turned on to anything new, for I have already sampled every brew they had on tap. The taste of each and all was resplendent , as fresh as can be.
The ride up yesterday was uneventful. It rained as well. I predict that the weather on this trip will be one of extremes. For it will be cold and wet in the north, and blisteringly hot in the southern latitudes. Such is the lament of the manboy, for nothing ever comes easy....

A. Mora’s cabin was a more than welcome retreat. A blazing fire and a little Piazzolla gave my spirits a lift. I would have liked to stay another night but, you know…I’m restless.

The Blue Lady and my friends cabin in the Adirondacks. An awesome, awesome spread.

SleazyRider screwed with this post 12-31-2011 at 10:46 AM
Old 12-21-2011, 05:35 PM   #6
Jamie

Oddometer: 1,219
Off to a great start and it sounds like a long ride... I'm in.
Jamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 05:39 PM   #7
Incredulous
Peanut Gallery

Oddometer: 566
Incredulous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 09:52 PM   #8
SleazyRider OP
Desolate Loner

A Brief Sojourn in the Northeast Kingdom...continued...

Ah, it all seems so long ago, going back through my old writings and photos. I remember the world of doubts swirling about around my head as i ventured forth into unknown lands on my old moto. What is a manchild to do, but to worry, when he quits his cushy social work gig and ventures forth into unknown worlds on an old moto? And why am I wearing a winter hat in the summer? This would be the summer that never was and the Motorcycle Gods would not be at all kind; for the first two weeks of this journey it rained hard everyday

an excerpt from the journals of Sleazy Rider aka Ryder Strong aka Pipe Adams aka...

Yet another day spent in America’s glorious Northeast Kingdon. I may even be your King, or at the very least a Prince.

Archduke?

A quick update really, for all y’all Manboy aficionados.

An atrocious, atrocious day. 34 degrees this morning according to Weather Bug, although in all honestly it did feel warmer. Riding through Rumsford, Maine at noon time, a bank sign noted that it was 50 degrees. I stayed relatively warm, bundled up in all of my clothes and jacket and pant liners, but I didn’t think I would need this shit until Alaska. It rained all day long and I did not see one bit of the sun. The rains would not stop.
New rain overpants are functional but make me look like a genie, or MC Hammer.
That’s fine, they do their job well enough I suppose. There is no such thing as a perfect rainsuit. 99% of all cultivated-wild blueberry farmers agree on this very fact. I know because I’m warm and dry and staying at a Wild Blueberry farm in Cherryfield, ME. Why I’m even typing this from a child’s bed, which is fine because I’m warm and dry. Ben and his son Rowan are an absolute delight and a gift to the weary traveller. Rowan downloaded a bunch of games on my phone and Dad made me a delicious steak, oyster mushroom soup, and fresh bacon, greens, and brussels sprout medley.

An absolute feast really, sumptuous and succulent, better than most restaurants even, and topped off with two Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups no less. Better than spooning peanut butter out of the jar, eh? Or even a can or delicious, delicious sardines? Sure, but don’t let Ronnie Peabody, cultivator of the Maine Coastal Sardine Museum, hear that!
All this can be yours too, although you will need make an incredible journey through the wilds of Maine, ride your motorbike in drenching, punishing rains, and then win the hearts and minds of both father and son. Or find them through couchsurfing.org. But always be nice, just like Dalton says. Be nice.
I’ve got a date with destiny tomorrow at the Sardine Museum in Jonesport. 1:30pm sharp. Wish me luck, I’ll need it!

Greetings from beautiful sunny Cherryfield, ME!

Ah, Ben and son, a totally cool duo provided by the motorcycle Gods to lonesone adventurers in need ONLY. I was completely and totally soaked when i made it to their place and it would have been a totally abyssmal time to camp. Ben even hooked me up with a place to crash the following night up in Houlton. Muy chido, amigo. Top secret intel yields that the roads in the Northeast Kingdom are some of the best in the nation and if a careful route is planned, there is nary a straightaway to be seen. Riding to Ben's was my first introduction to the Blueberry Barrens of coastal Maine. I had no idea that they existed but they're out there. Fields of low-lying 'wild' blueberries stretch as far as the eye can see, all the way to the horizon, and then some, for miles. Ben notes that there are places in the barrens where a man can get lost for days, with no point of reference save for millions and millions of nearly delcious wild blueberries. Completely surreal...

SleazyRider screwed with this post 12-28-2011 at 09:00 PM
Old 12-22-2011, 09:13 PM   #9
SleazyRider OP
Desolate Loner

Sojourned in the Northeast Kingdom or The Man with 36 Pianos

an excerpt from the journals of Sleazy Rider aka Ryder Strong aka Pipe Adams aka...

…just wailing away on this f*&^ed up old piano. All of the facing was gone and it was basically just the functional bits; keys and hammers and strings. The sun was setting, as it does so far North; it fools you, you know.

The sun will set for hours at a time.
The windows rattled from the noise. The floor creaked from the weight of 8 pianos jammed into this man’s living room. Bugs everywhere. Dogs. Old records. A wood stove. It was an amazing thing to be there, watching this dude just blast those f%$king keys like a man possessed amid the chaos in that perfect light.

Kevin has 36 pianos and is a stand up gent. He’s got a nice spread up in Houlton, ME. 100 acres or more, something like that. Ben, the dude who runs the blueberry farm, called his friend and he asked him to let me stay at his place.
After leaving Cherryfield I struck for Houlton. I took Route 1.

Side roads off Route 1, or nearly any local road, on Maine’s Northeast coast will take you into the blueberry barrens. Great field’s of low-lying wild blueberry bushes will stretch to the horizon in all directions. Ben says that there are places in the barrens where you can drive for miles and see nothing but gravel roads and fields of blueberry. It is disorienting and he notes that travellers have gotten lost in the barrens for days.

In Jonesport I hit up the Maine Coast Sardine Museum. Mr. Peabody was kind enough to grant your author special VIP access, for the museum is not yet open for the season. He even let it slip that he and his wife Mary stayed up late the previous night setting up the vintage can displays. A bit cantankerous at first (I was an hour and a half early) Mr. Peabody eventually warmed up. We both love sardines man, what do you expect?

The sardine museum is chock full, bursting even, with vintage cans and old machinery used long ago in the now defunct Maine sardine business.

Listen, even if you don’t like sardines, it’s a great museum and Mr. Peabody is an enthusiastic host. The sardine industry started and ended here, in Maine. The end of an era, really, of something that at one time was so quintessentially American that it was to be taken for granted to always be there.
It will not be the last.
Route 1 hooks around and makes a bit of a detour through Calais and hugs the New Brunswick border a little too close for those who wish to make time. Best to take Route 9 and shave an hour or so off your journey. Best to use that hour to write postcards, play soccer, and sample the sardines you bought at the sardine museum. Best to do it in Danforth, Maine under a blazing, warm, resplendent sun.

Unfortunately, there are no free samples at the Maine Coast Sardine Museum but you CAN purchase sardines there, and at $1 a can, you can’t complain. They’re good man! Mustard is the best one. It has been told.
But don’t dilly too much, for you’ll miss the grand display at Kevin’s stead.

Houlton, Maine.

Be there.

I remember this as a great day. The rains stopped around noon and the couds parted, revealing a warm, hot, and resplendent afternoon sun. Kevin was the coolest cat I've met thus far, an American original. I'll always remember him feverishly wailing away on those keys in the crazy light of that setting Maine sun. And if you're ever around Cherryfield, make sure to stop at the sardine museum and say hello to Mr. Peabody. The guy really cares about sardines. Really, who doesnt?

SleazyRider screwed with this post 12-31-2011 at 10:49 AM
Old 12-24-2011, 03:25 PM   #10
SleazyRider OP
Desolate Loner

Maine Costal Sardine Museum or Ronnie Peabody and Sardine Museum All-stars or...

The Sardinio Hall Show

For all the sardine lovers out there in the world.
May you live forever.

Es verdad. No mames, guey.
Old 12-24-2011, 06:01 PM   #11
chilango
super-user

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleazyRider View Post
The Sardinio Hall Show

For all the sardine lovers out there in the world.
May you live forever.

Es verdad. No mames, guey.
Por que escribes como Mexicano?
"Write drunk; edit sober."
- Ernest Hemingway (1899-1961)
chilango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 09:35 PM   #12
SleazyRider OP
Desolate Loner

que honda vos?

jaja a mi me gustan las frases de la calle
Old 12-25-2011, 01:27 AM   #13
chilango
super-user

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleazyRider View Post
jaja a mi me gustan las frases de la calle
Que onda vos...

De donde eres? Por el vos, de Guatemala?

Keep posting, you have a way with words... And if you can figure out a way to post adult sized pictures, I would greatly appreciate it...

aa
"Write drunk; edit sober."
- Ernest Hemingway (1899-1961)
chilango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 09:08 AM   #14
SleazyRider OP
Desolate Loner

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilango View Post
Que onda vos...

De donde eres? Por el vos, de Guatemala?

Keep posting, you have a way with words... And if you can figure out a way to post adult sized pictures, I would greatly appreciate it...

aa
haha soy de nueva york...

currently learning spanish in Guatemala.

no te preocupes...adult pictures coming soon. the pics arent exciting yet anyway... internet connection is slow here and it's taking forever to upload photos.
Old 12-25-2011, 11:24 AM   #15
SleazyRider OP
Desolate Loner

Barbarian at the Gates

We arrived in Quebec City yesterday after a long hard slog, first through Northern Maine and then onwards over dusty Quebecois superslab.
The most Northeastern town in the USA is about 100 miles from Houlton, right on Route 1. It’s called Madawaska and I’ve been there.

Whatever, there’s nothing there. They have this cheezy little park set up that’s full of engraved bricks that local businesses have donated. Really, everything there has an engraved plate on it: the table and bench set, a firepit, and the portable toilet even. There’s a lot of random shit with stuff written on it. There’s also another marble monstrosity, other than the one pictured above, blotting out the sun that was donated by the local Harley Davidson dealer. Apparently people ride up here all the time just to stake their claim at having ridden to one of the four corners of the USA. Fair enough, who am I to judge?
Cross the border here and on into Edmunston for a little slice of NB before entering Quebec. 4.5 hours of highway later and you’re in Quebec City. You know you’re in Canada now because gas is sold by the liter, and at $1.29 per we’re looking at about $4.90 per gallon. Gas in the far reaches of Northern Maine was about $3.91 per gallon. Just FYI. Still cheaper than Long Island. Makes sense.

lunch

For some reason they allow cars into Quebec’s Old Town but not motorcycles. Makes sense. Navigating in Quebec is a complete psychological drain. Most of the streets are one way and non-grid patterned. The traffic lights are also about 5 minutes long each. This is awful and I would never want to live here and have to drive a car. I parked the bike and hoofed it with all my shit into the Old Town to Auberge a la Paix, a hostel I had booked when I was Houlton. It’s been heating up in the great north I was roasting alive with all my layers, carrying everything I didn’t want jacked from the bike, which is everything, through the city. Whatever, I’ll take it. Better to be hot and sweaty than cold and wet. The only thing is that I was smelling absolutely repugnant. My boots and feet f^&king stink. The stink crept into the skin of my feet and has just now starting dissipating. It’s gross man.
Eh, whatever.
They say that the candle that burns twice as bright burns half as long.
Revel in your time.

I’m headed for the hinterlands.
See you in Chibougamau, bitches.

Route 1 up through Northern Maine to Canada is an exceedingly beautiful ride. Take a look at a road map of Maine and you'll see that there's not much up here. A beautiful part of the country, really. Kevin would school me on some Dick Curless, and even some Louis Prima, during my time in Houlton and I would carry these two gents in my head for a ways, all the way up into old Canada.

Quebec City is a cool city, although perhaps a little too clean, quiet, and French for my tastes. I'll take Montreal anyday really. What struck me most about QC was the incredible selection of beers to be had in nearly every corner store. Fabulous man. The consumption and mass consumption of beers is a common theme on this great ride, both on the bike and through life, and I'm still going strong in old Guatemalaville nursing a two day hangover from mixing Aquardiente and Gallo, the best Guatemalan beer one's quetzales can buy. And I'm still wearing those boots and they still stink.

an excerpt from the beer journals of Sleazy Rider aka Ryder Strong aka Pipe Adams aka...

I’m in Quebec City.
I’ll be here for two nights. 300 mile day today.
Rough on a 500cc Honda twin.
But that’s enough of that. Lets get to the good stuff shall we?

Imagine my delight with whilst stumbling upon this market looking for a baguette and cheese. My God, what have we here. Quebec man, can be an f*&king fabulous place.

Such incredible and fabulous brews, each more artisanal than the next, replete with carefully and thoughtfully rendered labels. I chose two Unibroue for this evening’s libations. I’ve come a long way and deserve it.

You only live once.

Or an infinite number of times.

Blanche de Chambly: 5% abv. Most definitely a white ale. Well balanced. Typical Unibroue. A strength of character that belies its low abv. In terms of taste, this brew has bite. Well thought out and well crafted beer. It is hard for me not to love any and all Unibroue products. The backlabel, and backstory, reads: Blanche de Chambly honours the Captain Jacques de Chambly, who built historic Fort Chambly on the Richelieu River in 1665 to defend Montreal and the colony. Dispatched by King Louis XIV to lead the fighting Carignan- Salieres Regiment, he achieved the legendary Iroquois peace of 1667. He was awarded the title of Seigneur of the region (today Chambly). Officers and soldiers were also encouraged to stay. Many of them married Filles du Roi and prospered.

Ephemere Black Currant: 5.5% abv. Like I said, it is really difficult for me to find fault with Unibroue’s brews. So I won’t, at least not with Ephermere. Sumptious, delicious, and decadent. Fruity, you can taste the currant, but not unpleasant at all. This is hard to do. A truly perfect blend. Bravo Unibroue! Smells great as well! Goes great with the Legendary Pink Dots in a hostel in Quebec City.

Boreal Dorcee: Never been a big fan of Boreale but decided to try this brew on a larf. Never seen this one before. Hey, it’s good! Fresh, tasty. Not decadent but a delicious brew nonetheless. You see Boreale stateside on occasion and they are never fresh. Even in Montreal, Boreale was never good. Well, this one is and it goes down smooth. “Silky, but not sweet. Easy drinking ale. Subtle flavours of summer honey.” All hooligans concur.

Blonde de Chambly: 5% abv. Yet another Unibroue joint. An effervescent brew that is nearly unremarkable save for the coquettish minx adorning the bottle and clever backstory. “Blonde de Chambly honours the heroic Filles a Marier (marriageable girls) later known as Filles du Roi (King’s daughters). These brave single young women came to Nouvelle France in 1665 to help populate the colony. Many of them married officers and soldiers of the Carignan-Salieres Regiment, who built Fort Chambly on the Richelieu River and forged the legendary Iroquois peace of 1667. Most French Canadians are direct descendants of these extraordinary ancestors. – Mild and refreshing Blonde de Chambly has a floral nose and light citrus bouquet. With its foamy white head and lively effervescence, it is an ideal partner for an unforgettable sensory experience.”Mmmm…indeed. Go ahead, try one. And while you’re at it do yourself a favor and stare into those coquettish eyes, so wanton for the lonesome traveller.

Brune d’ Achouffe: 8.5% Just another run of the mill delicious French Canadian craft beer. Nothing extraordinary. You expect it to be good and it is. The label is a delight and adds to the enjoyment. A strong brew at 8.5% and a perfect complement to lunch. Baguette with pate and cheese perhaps? Mmm…perhaps. Like so many of these artisanal Quebecois brews, Brune d’ Achouffe is in perfect harmony! Cheers!