Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2010, 08:10 PM   #151
D-Train
Ridin' Dirty

Oddometer: 1,240
That video was not the best but Black Bear Pass... oh my and the 8 octaves your voice went up...classic

This is a great thread what a great idea Can't wait to see some more of these
Old 03-15-2010, 08:57 PM   #152
gagnaou
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,319
One of this day I've got to make it to Colorado on my bike!

501 FE Husaberg
1190 KTM adventure R
gagnaou is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 07:30 AM   #153
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,258
For those who are coming to Colorado and looking for more than just the mainstream passes I'm working on; Enduro-ince is going to review some of the spurs in the San Juans that often lead to great viewpoints:
Richmond Basin, Picayune Gulch, Us Basin, Governor Basin, Pughkeepsie gulch, Yankee boy basin etc.

Tom lives in the San Juans and knows them inside out

Last summer as we dropped off of Black Bear Pass into Telluride for lunch we ran into Enduro-ince on main street

Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 07:35 AM   #154
munchmeister
Grow'd Up Mini Trail

Oddometer: 1,366
Geez, Geek. Nice work. Great resource for the non- Greenies.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:23 AM   #155
KTMandu
Adventurer Wannabe

Oddometer: 328
Thumb

Four of us flat landers went to CO for the first time in the summer of 06. Except for shortness of breath, I didn't have any ill effects from the altitude. Always carried food, water and my enduro jacket. Stayed in Silverton and rode to Ouray, Lake City and Telluride over Cinnamon Pass, Black Bear, Imogene, etc. Got chased off of Imogene by lightning which resulted in a busted left side case cover from some dirty, rotten rock which in turn fried my electrics from repeated stream crossing resulting in me having to be towed into Ouray. Rode down Black Bear before realizing I was on it. Got screamed at by a greenie for being on a closed trail(I was just following the leader!) Very entertaining! Got hailed on which later turned to rain on the way down from riding Maggie or Minnie Gulch(can't remember which - gotta find my diary) Froze our asses off getting back to the camper. My buddy fell and broke 3-4 ribs(on the last day, thank God!!). All in all, we had a blast!
I've been back twice since then albeit without the bikes. Always want to return. Got sooo much left to see and experience.
I'm hooked on Colorado. Love it, love it, love it!!!
Also, many thanks to Geek for taking the time to enter all this info. Very appreciated.
00 300 EXC

KTMandu screwed with this post 03-17-2010 at 10:35 AM
KTMandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 12:50 PM   #156
~AJ~
Adventure pooper

Oddometer: 224
Wow, this is amazing GEEK. Thanks for posting this up. Last year I tried to make it over the pass coming out of Telluride (can't remember the name) in late May and was stopped at 10,300 feet because of snow, 3,000 feet short of the pass. Looking at putting something together with a friend for late August this year. Ride out from California, ditch the street tires, and enjoy the passes for a week or so.

Looking forward to the rest of the report!!
Old 03-17-2010, 01:05 PM   #157
RamblinKevin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
Pass Closed Turn Arounds

Personally I don't mind having to backtrack after trying a pass and seeing it's blocked. The ride back down looks like a whole new ride to me anyways, so I am maximizing my time in the area. I may even ride it from the other side if I really like it, so I can put it on my "almost made it list". With 5 days coming up in early June to cross CO, I expect to turn around more then a few times. It's all part of the fun.

Did you have time to look at the Pass Rating Link I sent? It gives the name of the guy and his shop, so maybe he would give permission to use it as is.

More passes please!
RamblinKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 01:37 PM   #158
grub
Requires Supervision

Oddometer: 2,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek
For those who are coming to Colorado and looking for more than just the mainstream passes I'm working on; Enduro-ince is going to review some of the spurs in the San Juans that often lead to great viewpoints:
Richmond Basin, Picayune Gulch, Us Basin, Governor Basin, Pughkeepsie gulch, Yankee boy basin etc.

Tom lives in the San Juans and knows them inside out

Last summer as we dropped off of Black Bear Pass into Telluride for lunch we ran into Enduro-ince on main street

But he's just some old guy that only rides to the dispensary and back

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...6#post12224596
grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 02:29 PM   #159
enduro-ince
dirtslave

Oddometer: 4,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubneets
But he's just some old guy that only rides to the dispensary and back

Still havn't sold that bike
enduro-ince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 02:32 PM   #160
enduro-ince
dirtslave

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinKevin
Personally I don't mind having to backtrack after trying a pass and seeing it's blocked........

I call it "turn around season" Pretty much all of May and most of June.
I agree its fun to make that tire imprint go just a little farther than the last guy.
Old 03-17-2010, 02:36 PM   #161
Jailor8
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,078
Wahoo!

RamblinKevin

Wahoo! God I wish I could go with you!

I live at Marshall, Il. on I-70 next door to Terre Haute, In. About 100 miles from you at Indy. Brother in law lives in Colorado Springs, 979 miles to his door from here, your looking at 1100 miles slabbing!!!
Love Southwest Colorado. Been to Silverton by the Durango and Silverton railroad and by car. Also just East of Pagoosa Springs and west of Wolf Creek Pass is a place you can go South thru a campground (I'd have to look on my forest service maps to tell you the name and trail/road number) then up the trail over Elwood pass and to Summitville (a true Ghost town, no tourists) Its 19 miles from US 160 to the top of Elwood Pass 11800 ft. It was the main route over the Continental Divide to the Pagoosa Springs area. It would take a team and a wagon 3 weeks to do those 19 miles!!! Beautiful 2 track. Old mines, cabins, waterfall (you can't see from the trail, but can hear it, worth the walk) From Summitville there is a nice gravel route back down to Del Norte on US 160 on the east side of Wolf Creek Pass, If you get beat up going up. The 2 track was duable in a stock Durango and a Montero when we went but there is water, hills, drop offs, baby heads, it's all good.

Highly suggest you go to the local forrest service offices and buy the maps of the area you are going into. The maps were 7.50 each 10 years ago but they show so much stuff you would not know was there without them.

Next time we go to the B-N-Law's his boss has a couple of older KLR's he said we could ride if I don't take mine.

You will have a blast no matter what you do.

If you would like to see the forrest service maps I have, I could scan you some samples and email them to you then you can decide if you want to order them.

As to altitude sickness, Drink lots and lots of Water. You need the O in the H2O and you will dehydrate and not realize it, Ie: no sweat. My B-N-Law suggests taking an asprin, his claim is it thins your blood and helps you move more blood and oxygen. If your not pee'n your not drinking enough. Lay off of pop and other crap and drink water! Alcoholic drinks will tast great but have much more effect. I took a class once north of Denver and a 6 pack about had me face down in the parking lot just walking. And the hang over the next morning was the worst I have ever experienced. Thank you Dehydration for your gift.

Have fun, I look forward to a ride report!!

Jailor8

p.s.
If you can stay in Pagoosa Springs, visit the hot springs. The hot water will feel great and the water has lithium in it. When you get out go take a shower and get the smell off and then hit the hay. You will sleep great. Don't go in the middle of the day, you will feel tired and draggy the rest of the day.

Quote:
This thread is much appreciated. I will be touring across Colorado this June. Last year I toured Western Colorado for 4 days based out of Grand Junction. Since I was on my Royal Star, I could only get a glimpse of what lay beyond the asphalt, and hated to turn around when the asphalt ran out east of Silverton. This year I'll be on my brandie new KLR 650, and I have 10 glorious days, starting June 1st, to explore every dirt road in Colorado and Eastern Utah I can find. After slabing it from Indy to Colorado Springs, I am planning to ride Gold Camp Road to Cripple Creek, then Shelf Road to US 50. That's all I know at the moment. The other 9 days I am currently piecing together from information on this thread, as well as reading tons of Colorado Ride Reports on this site.

Thanks again for all the useful information!

My ride reports are at http://www.myspace.com/ksickels
RIP my Cousin, Austin City Limits aka Terry Hammond
KTM950A, KLR685, KLR650, KLR250, KLX250, Honda Rebel, Foretrax Foreman 4x4
Jailor8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 07:13 PM   #162
flyrodder
Donny, please.

Oddometer: 3,008
Great stuff. The San Juan's are just the best. Went over Engineer and Imogene on my GS with 4 other flatlanders during WF08 (Three GSes, one of those two up, and a Wee). Took us all day to go 60 miles. Best day I've ever had on a bike.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:28 PM   #163
bouldergeek
Filthy, poor KLR dweeb

Oddometer: 1,074
Now that I am off the Central American road, and back in CO, I look forward to meeting some more of our local inmates for rides.

Looks like the GF and I are taking the KLRs down to Moab for some riding next week. And, of course, some road and mountain biking.

Nice work, Kemo-sabe.

From the End of the Earth to the End of the Road: South Pole to the Darien
bouldergeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 10:14 PM   #164
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,258
Quote:
Personally I don't mind having to backtrack after trying a pass and seeing it's blocked. The ride back down looks like a whole new ride to me anyways
Great Point!

Important Suggestion:

If your schedule allows, plan on riding each pass twice!
Once in each direction.
It will be a completely different experience both ways . (Of course you can't do that on Black Bear or Red Cone because the steep parts are one way down only). Some passes (like Engineer) you can ride 6 different ways.

Also, with weather/cloud/view/light variations a pass can be completely different at different points of the day.

Last summer we did Imogene 3 times in 24 hours and it was a hoot (and a different experience) each time.

Tom: feel free to start posting your routes any time.. I'm off to salida this weekend and moab next weekend and somewhere in there we're buying another motorcycle so it might be a couple of weeks before I can make some significant updates to this thread.

Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 05:48 AM   #165
enduro-ince
dirtslave

Shoot geek, I'm out this a.m for the dez until next weekend, I might swing by camp okokopelli sometime though, Hope to see ya!!

The San Juan sideshow routes will have to wait too..Have a great week of riding!!