Oddometer: 1,925
Blakebird, these are some AMAZING pics.
I hope & pray me & my KTM can make it out there soon
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 07:36 AM   #200
Spinalcracker
former redriderofma

Oddometer: 1,079
[QUOTE=Geek][COLOR="Yellow"]You Can't Get There From Here...

What they are looking at? Are they on the trail?
Vermont Covered Bridges
Spinalcracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 11:46 AM   #201
SwissAlaskan
Young And Dumb

Oddometer: 98
i dont know if this has really been addressed yet for us noobs, but whats the camping like? im going to be in that area with a triumph, a sleeping bag, and a tent. of course a few other things, but, in these san juan mountains, can you pretty much just camp on the side of the "road" without incident?
Old 04-11-2010, 12:29 PM   #202
Cranky Yankee
exulcero

Oddometer: 599
[QUOTE=RedRiderofMA]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek
[COLOR="Yellow"]You Can't Get There From Here...

What they are looking at? Are they on the trail?
Black Bear pass?

Having done a stint in MA, there are some spots here that a small mistake results in a very unpleasant outcome.

There are often yearly deaths and wadded up vehicles at the bottom that are left there for good.

Mount Wachusset and Mount Washington are mere foothills compared to these rocks.

Also, the reduced lawyers per square foot compared to MA does result in a certain allowed rawness.
Old 04-11-2010, 04:53 PM   #203
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by agiduda
Also, the reduced lawyers per square foot compared to MA does result in a certain allowed rawness.
Oh geez, don't worry, we have plenty to go around!

Unaweep!

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 08:35 PM   #204
Earth
I Break Fixed Stuff

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissAlaskan
i dont know if this has really been addressed yet for us noobs, but whats the camping like?... can you pretty much just camp on the side of the "road" without incident?
Yes, this would be a great addition to the Geek's Guide!
I'll be out in late May with my XR and a tent for 2 days or offroad riding and that's something I'd love to read about.
Earth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 09:07 PM   #205
Rainbow007
Boldly going Nowhere

Oddometer: 276
Excellent RR and information Geek. I am enjoying this thread very much. Heading to the Grank Lake, CO area in Sept this year. I have friends and family there and will be looking for day rides from there. I will be lurking on this thread for ride info. Fairly new to dual sport riding but enjoy the adventures very much.
04 CRF230
11 DR650
Rainbow007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 09:56 AM   #206
2on2off
Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer: 1,230
Staying below treeline after 12 noon....

Geek:

Great info about riding in Colorado.

I rode to Colorado for the first time last September on a street bike but I am also very interested in riding my DRZ400S off road over these passes. They look amazing.

I had been watching the weather forecast all summer waiting for the lightning to go away, which it never did, so I finally decided to go and hope it all worked out, which it did.

I had heard that there is lightning almost everyday after 2 p.m. but to stay below treeline for almost 1/2 of everday requires careful planning and I hadn't done that so we rode until dark everyday and did experience lightning almost everyday after 2 p.m.

I wound up riding Rocky Mountain National Park, 12,800 ft on pavement, in the afternoon and "yup", there was lightning and hail I rode through but it didn't last long. It is very true that the weather will change every 5 miles or every 5 minutes, especially in the afternoon.

Since I came all the way from Californina to ride through the Rocky Mountains, I didn't want to give up riding every afternoon but I was probably below 10,000 ft much of the time.

I would like to know your daily routine for the routes you have taken regarding your timeline. What time in the morning did you typically start riding and when did you finish? In the summer, I usually ride from 8 a.m. to dark but when riding in the high elevations of Colorado, I wouldn't want to do anything stupid and risk getting hit by lightning.

When I ride off road in the Rocky Mountains, I would probably want to pick a spot as a daily staging area, probably a motel, and then do day loops from that location. I could move to a different location throughout a week of riding and would like to ride all the passes you have mentioned. Do you have any recommendations regarding which places would be best to start and stop from for daily loops to cover all the passes you have mentioned.

Thanks for starting this thread. Your maps and pictures are great. My street bike ride to Colorado last September just made me want to come back to ride all the passes off road. I was amazed at how much time, on pavement, I spent above 9,000 feet.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:06 PM   #207
TerraUnFirma
Fair/Not Balanced

Oddometer: 352
DRZ w/Stock Jetting in passes...

Great info Geek, thanks for starting this thread and bring your and other's knowledge together.

Not to hijack the thread, but I'm planning a two-week trip out in late July or August and I'm wondering whether it's worth the hassle to re-jet my DRZ for this trip. I've done quite a bit of riding above 5000' in this area without major issues, but twice the altitude, or more, may be another matter.

Can anyone comment on their experiences with stock jetting at the higher elevations? I know there is considerable power loss even rejetted, just wondering what to expect.

Cheers,
'06 Suzuki DRz400s
'08 Yamaha WR250R
TerraUnFirma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 07:04 AM   #208
dentedvw
Where did I put that

Oddometer: 2,151
T, I went out to Buena Vista/Salida for FMF last year, about June, if I recall. In any case, I ride a DRZ400e, and didn't rejet, neither did my wife on her DR350, and neither of us had any trouble whatsoever. I found it maybe wasn't as zippy as down at near sealevel, but didn't foul plugs, or have any stalling trouble, no matter the difficulty or steepness of terrain. I did get turned back on Chinaman's Gulch, but that is due to my own skill level and exhaustion, not the performance of the bike. I think we topped out at about 11,100 feet or so, but can't recall exactly.
I still had to use the choke in the morning (it was frigid every morning at 8300' altitude!), when starting it, but I have to do that here even, unless the bike has been ridden in the last hour.
I wouldn't worry about it, unless you figure you need to wring every ounce of performance out of your bike.
I guess I should mention that I am not at stock jet size now however, and have done all the usual mods to the DRZ, including a full exhaust replacement with something loud that melts my pants if I get too close. I don't remember what jet is in there now, but I took a chance and had no troubles.

My two cents, you mileage may vary.
Old 04-20-2010, 03:24 PM   #209
brisendines
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
I would highly recommend re-jetting. You might get up there with no problems, but what happens if you do have problems? Air is thin up here... you sure you wanna push a bike?
brisendines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 05:33 PM   #210
Gone D
Gone Dualsporting

Oddometer: 22
Thanks

Great ride report. May 09 several passes were closed for Catfish Guide and me. Now I know what they look like.
Gone D is offline   Reply With Quote