Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2010, 09:14 AM   #241
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,261
Ok.. I did 500+ miles of dirt yesterday (there's still too much snow above 10,000 feet )

Question: Do we have GPS geeks in this thread? I'm considering posting up GPS tracks for many of the passes.

Yesterday and the day before:

Gold Camp Road above Colorado Springs:

The Sangre De Cristo Mountains as viewed from the east above Westcliffe:

This is Colorado? Yup - Great Sand Dunes National Monument on the west side of the Sangre De Cristos. pic I took of dirty Santana playing in the sand.

If you don't like Sand stay away from Medano Pass - this (and deep water crossings) is what Medano is all about

Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 10:57 AM   #242
Chowdown
Texas Aussie

Oddometer: 140
i would love GPS tracks of the passes, yes please.
Chowdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 11:05 AM   #243
CBAT
occasional wanderer

Oddometer: 819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowdown
i would love GPS tracks of the passes, yes please.

YES!

2000 Suzuki DRZ400S, 2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
My Great Divide Ride 2009
Great Divide Part 2
CBAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 12:27 PM   #244
SwissAlaskan
Young And Dumb

Oddometer: 98
Here is another yes.
Old 05-08-2010, 01:35 PM   #245
B-Rod
RubberNecker

Oddometer: 1,894
Hell Yeah! I'm also looking for ideas on where to begin/ end a 4-5 day loop, ending where we start. Anyone else do a similar tour of Colorado? I don't even care where, but I'm thinking of starting in Telluride.
Old 05-08-2010, 02:14 PM   #246
Cranky Yankee
exulcero

Oddometer: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek
Question: Do we have GPS geeks in this thread? I'm considering posting up GPS tracks for many of the passes.
I'm in for some .gpx goodness.

I've been out of the loop for a bit, work has sucked the life out of me for the past few months, getting back in the saddle a bit more now that things are less intense. (I hope.)

Two sets of wheels, one knobby, one DS, a nine gallon tank and GPS, time for some scenic pain in the local backyard.
Old 05-08-2010, 02:23 PM   #247
RamblinKevin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
Wow! My upcoming CO/UT trip is going to be even better then I had imagined! After Gold Camp Road and Shelf Road, I'll be camping at Great Sand Dunes. A great place to hone my sand skills for Western Colorado and Utah.

Thanks Geek!

RamblinKevin screwed with this post 05-08-2010 at 03:14 PM
RamblinKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 02:57 PM   #248
Cranky Yankee
exulcero

Oddometer: 599
Is there a photo echo in here?
Old 05-08-2010, 03:53 PM   #249
Chowdown
Texas Aussie

hey Geek or someone who has ridden these passes, could you give me an idea of how long it takes to do the alpine loop including engineer and cinnamon passes? i am heading up there for a week at the end of July and trying to loosely plan my days.

am i way off thinking one full day for the alpine loop (i am in no rush and want to take a lot of pics etc), and then being able to do imogene and ophir the next day. after that i plan on heading over to the Pitkin area for another day or riding passes around there.

does all that sound feasible or am i allowing way too much time to do these rides?
Old 05-08-2010, 08:12 PM   #250
Keeper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
Quote:
hey Geek or someone who has ridden these passes, could you give me an idea of how long it takes to do the alpine loop including engineer and cinnamon passes? i am heading up there for a week at the end of July and trying to loosely plan my days.

am i way off thinking one full day for the alpine loop (i am in no rush and want to take a lot of pics etc), and then being able to do imogene and ophir the next day. after that i plan on heading over to the Pitkin area for another day or riding passes around there.

does all that sound feasible or am i allowing way too much time to do these rides?
I did the Alpine loop 2 years ago I seem to remember 6 hrs (lots of photo ops), and waiting on a pickup truck going down the backside (one wheel off the switchback when he had to back up to make it around).
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. Adrian Rogers
Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 06:39 AM   #251
CBAT
occasional wanderer

Quote:

Hey, I'll be up there in that neighborhood the last week of July as well. Except I'll be in the cage with the wifey. :-( She didn't want to ride out of TX in the summer heat.

Great Divide Part 2
Old 05-09-2010, 07:05 AM   #252
RideFast
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Thumb

+1 on the GPS tracks...that would be amazing!
Old 05-09-2010, 07:07 AM   #253
Chowdown
Texas Aussie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBAT
Hey, I'll be up there in that neighborhood the last week of July as well. Except I'll be in the cage with the wifey. :-( She didn't want to ride out of TX in the summer heat.
yeah i plan on leaving on a saturday about 4am and being in new mexico for that night, i'll just blast through the heat and get it done, wont be much fun. if our paths cross maybe we could have lunch or dinner one evening.

Rusty mentioned he was going to be in the area the week before, and i think i read a couple of other folks planned it too. Should do a TWT ride there one year .
Old 05-09-2010, 07:25 AM   #254
CBAT
occasional wanderer

Quote:
yeah i plan on leaving on a saturday about 4am and being in new mexico for that night, i'll just blast through the heat and get it done, wont be much fun. if our paths cross maybe we could have lunch or dinner one evening.

Rusty mentioned he was going to be in the area the week before, and i think i read a couple of other folks planned it too. Should do a TWT ride there one year .
I don't really have a plan yet except leaving around noon on the 24th and a couple days in CO Springs with my Sis. The rest is TBD. Lunch one day in Silverton is not out of the question. We must talk later over a burger on a Thursday.

Great Divide Part 2
Old 05-09-2010, 09:50 AM   #255
joenuclear
Planning.....

Oddometer: 6,134
Geek, I'd love the trax.

Thanks!