User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2014, 01:57 AM   #1
enfielddnepr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
IZH knowledge?

As a jawa rider, i like the izh bikes, especial the model 2 and 3..although they should be made in fast numbers, they are seldom seen in west-Europe..
Maybe someone here knows them,
I am curious about the quality of these bikes..

and, i've had a '94 dnepr, so you can be honest..
enfielddnepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 06:49 AM   #2
MATTY
ADV RIDER & DRIVER

Oddometer: 236
I have no knowledge of the earlier DKW derived planetas, but have over 15 years now with a planeta Sport 350.
The history of the planeta sport is well documented on the internet, with its japanese involvement etc.
With the Sport you get a basic but compitent bike, it handles well and it is in my experience very reliable needing few parts other than service items like points plugs chains sprockets etc over the years.
I have read the latter planeta 5s in the last few years of production were a little sketchy on quality, but i have no experience of this model, which although similar is quite different to the sport i have.
Some aftermarket parts are chinese in origin, and i think variable in quality but again all the parts i have obtained from Russia for mine have been apparently Russian made so far so i cant coment on the chinese parts available in the eastern euoropen countries.
I have seen all the posts on varrious forums that give all the details of horror stories about the Russian two strokes, but my experience as been a very different scenario all along.
I can honestly say i like the IZH PS 350 its a fun tough bike gets down the road well for a two stroke single and has a compitent chassis for a 1970s bike, it handles far better than many 1970s japanese bikes i can confirm that much.
The bad bits now, brakes are at the very best adequate at worst darn dangerous .
Lights are by todays standards poor but can be up graded if you felt the need, i have not bothered and get by with them ok.
Only mods i have done to mine are conversion to 400cc, fit a pair of stright bars this gives a better riding possition for me, and with adjustment to the foot rests, and lowering the overall gearing from the standard ratio, the bike is more or less standard .
Paint finnish is crude as standard but remarkably durable, allthough i may re spray my bike in a none standard silver or white at some point.
If you would like one get a sport 350 i stumbled accross mine quite by accident, and never intended keeping it very long, but here we are 15 years latter and no plans to sell it as yet, my previous long term work bike a yamaha DT250 MX allthough a good bike did not take the 17 years of use any where near as well as the IZH PS 350 has done.

MATTY screwed with this post 10-24-2014 at 08:50 AM
MATTY is offline   Reply With Quote