Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2010, 03:04 PM   #16
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,146
OK, it's taken me ages to upload all these (they were huge files originally), but here are a selection of shots covering many of the other riders/vehicles...

All these photos were taken by the Marcel and the guys at Rallymaniacs.NL

Arriving early morning in Nador, Morocco straight into Day 1 in Africa - that's the Desert Rose Racing support truck disembarking:

The Dutch team 'Desert Daltons' fielded two WR450s and a Toyota 4x4 that was also their service crew/support (they were the buggers who ran me over!) - they were an impressive sight with their colour-coordinated gear and vehicles/graphics:

Father and son team Wort and Eddie... Wort is 73 years old! and missed out driving the Heroes' last year with a broken wrist. This year his son Eddie wanted to do it on a bike, so his dad said "yeah, why not?!" and they were on a pair of nicely prepped CRF450Xs:

Day 1 included a series of short, but fast special stages - just incase anyone was under the illusion this event was going to be easy:

Kids the world over love motorbikes!:

Riders tended to help each other out when necessary:

Hope you can still ride like this when you're 73 years old?!

Not Robby Gordon!

These guys bought two spare quads (TRX450Rs) with them... they ended up needing them too!

Day 4 started in the palmeries around Zagora, before heading west into the mountains in the afternoon...

Stunning scenery in south western Morocco:

Defender 130 was a big old bus!

This is why they had to rebuild those quads each night!

This guy was always on one wheel when the camera's were around!

Rob was the only guy on a twin - an Africa Twin no less, which qualified him for the 'classic' category too!

There were a pair of Hummers (a team) on the 2009 event - they certainly struggled in some of the narrow mountain villages in Morocco!

Dan Costescu is one of the top riders in Romania - his KTM 530 Meca'system kitted bike was a piece of art, but suffered during the event...

The two Polish brothers on the TRX quads were hugely entertaining, even if their exhausts were obscene, and their service crew kept us up half the night!

Medical Helicopter proved essential for a number of competitors - Nick Bridger (UK) came a serious cropper on Day 2 in Africa, and had to be airlifted to hospital and subsequently repatriated via France... while later on in the event, a number of riders started to suffer with fatigue and have accidents too...

cont.

JMo (& piglet) screwed with this post 03-10-2010 at 03:48 PM
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 03:27 PM   #17
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

cont.

You can see why the WR450F is such a popular bike in the 450cc class:

Hoisting a minger! (as they say in the UK):

That's me in the distance, being chased by one of the quads!:

On Day 3, Dan had had to dive off the road into the rocks when a local car did a U-turn in front of him during a liaison - and he crashed pretty heavily... later on during the event, the bike had more and more duct tape holding it together!

Christian & Helly from Austria were the slickest team this year - they were also making a film of the event (DVD out soon I believe) and had all the gear, plus their own mechanic! After riding his 660RR all day, Chris would then download footage and update his website each evening:

Dan on the other hand was made to strip naked and work on his own damn bike!

Helly Frauwallner was aboard a brand new 690RR - both he and Chris Horwarth were sponsored by new energy drink Contiger:

There were a team of rent-a-drive Jeeps on the event this year, together with a couple of more seriously modified ones - they say the fastest car is a hired car...

These guys knew how to get their photo taken!

Soft dunes in Mauritania...

Not that it bothered this guy!

Or Eddie on the CRF450X for that matter...

Helly taking it easy in the sand funnel on day 6:

Ollie's EXC at full compression - who'd have thought sand could be so hard?!

The Daltons fitted their WR450s with the 2-Trac (2WD) system once they got to Mauritania:

Day, erm I don't know, by now it had become a blurr! This is during the liaison to Nouakchott:

Midway through the second week people were started to sweat (it was over 40C during the day):

Were starting to hurt:

Were starting to break vehicles:

Were starting to break bones...

Crossing the Senegal river at sunset was a magical moment:

cont.

JMo (& piglet) screwed with this post 03-10-2010 at 03:51 PM
Old 03-10-2010, 03:41 PM   #18
gagnaou
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,279
Great Pictures!!!

501 FE Husaberg
1190 KTM adventure R
gagnaou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 03:43 PM   #19
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

cont.

Clive Dredge (Patsy's husband) on the start of stage 2 on the penultimate day:

Stephane Peterhansel behind the wheel of a tasty Jeep... surely that's cheating having him drive for you?!

They'd already destroyed two quads (well, engines), and now, on the second to last day, the third one died... we were barely 300kms from Dakar now...

Clive looking surprising well for a man with cracked ribs, stitches in his fingers and having spent the last two weeks on a KTM saddle!

On the third to last day, Wort (the 73 year old CRF450X rider) had to be airlifted to the end of the stage with dehydration problems... when I saw him at the intermediate stop, he had three paramedics around him and drips in his arms... the next [penultimate] day, he got back on his bike, rode the first stage and broke his foot on a tree stump - how unlucky can you be?!

But blow me if he didn't get up on the final day, strap his foot up and get back on for the final liaison into Lac Rose - what a Hero!

The Polish brothers made it to the finish line, even if one quad had to be towed!

Burtus (and his girlfriend Jo) were the unluckiest couple on the whole event - problem after problem occurred: stolen passports, broken bikes, broken support car - yet they made it to the finish, even if Burtus had to borrow Nick Bridger's old bike when his own bike failed in Morocco...

Rob (on the Africa Twin) made it across the line too, despite have crashed and bashed his bike to bits, and broken any number of ribs:

Ladies! Get a room! These two were part of a huge team of Jeeps - some highly modified, others almost stock (on the Bivouac route):

"Don't you love it when a plan comes together?":

And finally, I'd like to say a huge thank you to the Desert Rose Racing support crew this year - Christian (who looked after Helly & Chris' bikes), Patsy and Zippy - you guys rock!

Jenny xx

JMo (& piglet) screwed with this post 03-10-2010 at 03:53 PM
Old 03-10-2010, 04:26 PM   #20
Hoopdy
Do we turn here?

Oddometer: 109
As always superb pics JMo Thanks

I've done all the dumb things.....more than once
Hoopdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 04:38 PM   #21
canadaler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Excellent!

I hope to do this event in the future.
'84 Honda VT500FT Ascot
Tuareg Rally 2009
canadaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 04:41 PM   #22
What's his Face
lost as

Oddometer: 3,552
Thumb

great pics jmo

rallys like that are the only time i think i envy the europeans
Old 03-10-2010, 06:26 PM   #23
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,665
Nice stuff, Jenny!!
Old 03-11-2010, 01:09 PM   #24
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,092
Bonus points for the A-Team reference
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 01:11 PM   #25
schattat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,408
Superb stuff!!!

Yamaha WR450F Rallye Spec
schattat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 07:44 AM   #26
titbird
motorcycle crazy

Oddometer: 49
Very nice summary & great pictures!!
titbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 05:08 AM   #27
Tome
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 319
Great pics! Looks like a good rally and seems like the bike did well!
Tome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 05:53 AM   #28
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

A few snaps I took with my Sony en route:

Liasion in northern Morocco (that's Dan Costescu #23 behind me):

Bedouin tent at bivouac in Morocco - the bivouacs were very nice in Morocco, most had tented shower and toilets, together with a dining tent...

Piste in southern Morocco... just after this shot I lost my other camera:

Passing one of the 6WD assistance trucks on liaison - the organization would often be up before us, to get to the next bivouac in good time to set up:

I even found time to get arty farty!:

On the outskirts of Tan Tan - the 'gateway to the Sahara'... actually, if you turned left at any point in the previous 1000kms, you'd have ended up in the Sahara too!:

Clive Dredge (Mr Patsy Quick) cut his hand badly on day 2 in Morocco - every night he had to have his stitches inspected and bandage changed, and every morning Zippy made him a new 'glove' out of gaff-tape!:

We were up at dawn most mornings, or even before!:

Our last bivouac in Morocco was on the beach - the assistance crews had a tough time getting in through the soft sand:

Bridge in St. Louis, Senegal:

There were no fuel stations outside the main towns in Mauritania, so the organization refueled us at the bivouac or at the start of the special (one night they even filled up my bike with helicopter fuel... great.):

The boys stopped for a pee just before the final stage around Lac Rose:

Dan's bike expired a few days before the end, dropping him out of contention. He travelled with the support truck, togged up in brand new gear and pushed the bastard over the line to claim his finishers medal!

J xx
Old 03-23-2010, 07:14 AM   #29
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,940
Inspiring stuff Jenny! Thanks for putting in the effort to post all these! Are there any blogs of people (yours maybe) experiences that you know of?
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:57 AM   #30
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007
Inspiring stuff Jenny! Thanks for putting in the effort to post all these! Are there any blogs of people (yours maybe) experiences that you know of?
Hi Bluebull! I didn't write blog at the time, as I will be writing this up for a magazine in the UK (TBM, who have just run my series about riding across the USA and back btw.), but once that is published I may well serialize it here x

You could also have a look at Christian and Helly's website - they were/are/have produced a DVD, and I know Chris was sending reports back to his website people most nights:

http://www.rally-team.at/

There is also a blog for Jo & Burtus (who had the worst experiance and the best experience at the same time!) - it's all in Dutch, but google translate is a wonderful thing!

http://www.culturecommit.nl/

Have fun!

J xx