ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2014, 06:30 AM   #1
GLRRA47 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Adding a switched wire for volt meter?

Looking to hook-up a Trail Tech volt meter (2-wire connection), to my 07 990 adv. My ACC2 is already connected to heated grips. Any ideas on how to create another switched connection that will be accurate and not cobbled-on?
GLRRA47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 07:49 AM   #2
Boatman
Take me down bitch!

Oddometer: 10,186
Use the the Acc2 to trigger a relay that powers up a terminal or fuse block. block

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 08:15 AM   #3
Peanuts
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,532
You will probably find you need to run a separate couple of wires down to he battery as KTM use quite skinny wire which gives volts drop once loaded. So if you tap into ACC2 this will read lower than actual battery voltage. By all means use ACC2 to pull in a relay, but the actual signal wire needs to come all the way from the battery with a suitable fuse close to the battery to protect the wire.
Peanuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 08:55 AM   #4
charlie264
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanuts View Post
You will probably find you need to run a separate couple of wires down to he battery as KTM use quite skinny wire which gives volts drop once loaded. So if you tap into ACC2 this will read lower than actual battery voltage. By all means use ACC2 to pull in a relay, but the actual signal wire needs to come all the way from the battery with a suitable fuse close to the battery to protect the wire.
+1.

I've run heavier gauge wire istr 15-20amp, with in-line fuse to behind headlight...use Acc2 for relay. Generally a better setup for heated grips...
Old 12-24-2014, 10:53 AM   #5
GLRRA47 OP
Adventurer

Ah - yes, a relay... Thanks!
Old 12-24-2014, 12:41 PM   #6
FakeName
Wile E Coyote SuperGenius

Oddometer: 1,759
Of course- add a relay, use a big fat wire directly from the battery, etc, etc. Make it hugely complicated.

Or....

Consider this: you don't really need to know the voltage. You certainly need to know if it drops, or if it's too high. You certainly need to know if it drops when the lights are on, or if it's hot outside. While the very simple solution is to attach it to ACC2, you won't get the perfect reading. So what?

If you want, you could measure (use a Fluke Commercial Deluxe Jumbo Calibrated Meter) at the battery and record the delta between the voltage displayed on your accessory meter and the Fluke. You could record this delta and do the math in your head each time.

Or just know it will read about a volt or two lower than actual and go riding. Without yet another relay, another long wire run to the battery, another set of crimped terminals, another connector on the positive battery terminal.

Keep it simple.

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
FakeName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 12:52 PM   #7
JoeMongo
¿Por dónde?

Oddometer: 436
The heated grips should be supplied by a switched relay, not directly off of ACC2 anyways.

Use ACC2 to power your voltmeter and energize a relay to feed all of your switched loads, such as heated grips, auxiliary LED lights, etc . . . .

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
JoeMongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 01:29 PM   #8
Dusty
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,256
No need for a relay... how much shit do ya really want to hook up, on a bike that has limited room to hide anything under the bodywork. I am with Keep It Simple. More wires and connections to trouble shoot when issues arise.

I have had my heated grips hooked up to switched power for 7 years and always on power has 2 GPS's and my tank bag power for charging phone and ipod. Heated gear power is direct from the battery, and i monitor my voltage from my gps.
Old 12-24-2014, 05:15 PM   #9
GLRRA47 OP
Adventurer

Not looking to wire the space shuttle here... I'm definitely into keeping it simple and "clean". Agree with all everyone's said. (My heated jacket and gloves run direct from the battery - KTM grips, plug into ACC2 just as in the KTM grip instructions - have been for several years.) I just need a second, switched circuit for the volt meter. A simple soldered split from ACC2 to close a relay on a non-essential and low draw volt meter should do the trick...
Old 12-25-2014, 07:34 AM   #10
ABuck99

Oddometer: 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLRRA47 View Post
Not looking to wire the space shuttle here... I'm definitely into keeping it simple and "clean". Agree with all everyone's said. (My heated jacket and gloves run direct from the battery - KTM grips, plug into ACC2 just as in the KTM grip instructions - have been for several years.) I just need a second, switched circuit for the volt meter. A simple soldered split from ACC2 to close a relay on a non-essential and low draw volt meter should do the trick...
Or the blue wire going to the headlight
Old Yesterday, 11:52 AM   #11
sweetlou
small body, big balls

Oddometer: 1,243
Adding a switched wire for volt meter?

I just took the wires from the meter, unplugged my heated grips, jammed the wire from the meter into each plug from the heated grips and reinstalled. Yes, you can create an elaborate wiring diagram with taps, relays, showing exact voltage at exact times under exact loads.

Or you can be lazy like me. My voltage reader is only a color indication and reads a range of voltages anyway (under 12v is red, 14+ is green, etc) so no need to be exact.

I just want to know 1) it's charging and 2) it's not over charging (15v shows red).

Lou
[2004 KTM 525EXC] - Sumo build FOR SALE http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...ht=supermotard
sweetlou is online now   Reply With Quote