ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2014, 04:40 PM   #1
mcstark OP
KaTooM convert

Oddometer: 1,042
Thumb Black is the new orange

So, I have another thread with some poor running and stalling issues on my new-to-me bike. You can find it here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1022679.

I wanted to chronicle my bike's journey from a 10-year-old nice bike to the best I can make her. My inspiration comes from you guys who've documented your bike's "restoration."

My grandfather taught me that there are two ways to do things: do it right, or do it again. With that in mind, I'll slowly dive into my new bike. Here she is two weeks after I rode her home from Rhode Island.

My plan is to tear the bike down to get a good idea of what has and has not been done. The dealer I purchased it from verified that all the TSB's and recalls were done except for the fuel tank crossover line. I asked them not to perform that one based on my research here.

I plan to get this all done in the next 6 months (aka this winter), so I have a good running bike I can ride like hell once the weather breaks.

2004 KTM 950 Adventure
Black is the new orange
mcstark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 04:45 PM   #2
Doug Matson
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,706
Good thing not to get done. I sold my 2004 950 to a friend and told him everything has been done don't let any dealer do any thing to her unless you talk to me first. He let a dealer do the cross-over to the tanks and now it leaks all the time when he fills it up and its on the sidestand. Take your time and follow your gradfathers great advise!
93' XR 200
72' SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
70' CB 350
65' CB 160
Doug Matson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 04:58 PM   #3
mcstark OP
KaTooM convert

We're getting hammered with lake effect snow this week - there's about four feet in my yard - so I had some time in the garage today.

I pulled the tanks to completely drain them - need every last drop for the snowblower. I also wanted to have my first look under my new girl's skirt.

Here's the right side:

And the left:

And my frame tag:

January 2004 build date, but I have black rims and a painted front fender. So do I have an early `04 or a late one?

The SAS valve has been removed, but you'll notice the plates with reed valves are still there. The hose is capped on the right side, which you'll see in a more detailed pic. I plan to get the block off kit and do the job right.

I also noticed the bike still has the charcoal canister on it, but some of the vents lines are missing/removed. Add another thing to my list of "Make it right."

One other item is one of the glove box bolts was stripped in the frame. You can see here that I reattached it with a zip tie for now.

I've looked at the Rottweiler Snap Out kit for the glove box. Does anyone know if it replaces all the glovebox bolts, or just some of them? Otherwise, I'll probably need to re-tap the threads on the frame.

I uncovered a couple things that I'd like some input on. As previously mentioned, the dealer presumable verified that all the TSB's were done. However it looks like I have the original cylinder head studs. I don't see any washers, the studs are flush with the edge of the nut, and the nut has a skirt at the bottom. Am I right?

On the other side I found these cap head nuts. Is that correct, or did someone do a half-assed job? You'll also notice the cap in the SAS tube. That's gotta go!

Finally, I noticed some blue-ish oil inside the skid plate. It's pretty thin and the bottom of the engine is dry. Could it be from the airbox breather? It seems to drip from the left side of the engine.

I have some initial parts coming in a few days - if it ever stops snowing. I'm starting another list now.

2004 KTM 950 Adventure
Black is the new orange
Old 11-19-2014, 05:30 PM   #4
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer: 3,597
That's a half-ass job. Don't know what those left side cap nuts are, but the other nuts you showed are the originals that should be replaced and you are correct that there are no washers under these.

Brent

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
brents347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 06:26 PM   #5
brooks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 318
Looks pretty clean though, nice BDCW skid plate and Renazco seat. I would say check the clutch (blue lactate) and the water pump since you are in there. Two big issues with the 950. I just moved away from Traverse City MI to out west. Can't say I miss winter!
Old 11-19-2014, 07:04 PM   #6
Goss
LC8 Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,365
You have a late 04' it appears or a 04.5' . Check your rear rim, is it a 4.25"??

The early USA 04's were the orange S model w/ black rims and the silver standard w/silver rims. These were 03' models in the rest of the world.
Goss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 09:20 PM   #7
mcstark OP
KaTooM convert

My concern is a new head gasket was part of the TSB. I would replace the bolts myself, but not the head gasket. My new local dealer doesn't have any experience with 950's. Any chance KTM would cover an independent KTM expert doing it?

2004 KTM 950 Adventure
Black is the new orange
Old 11-19-2014, 09:54 PM   #8
mcstark OP
KaTooM convert

I checked the 2004 parts fiche and cap head nuts were used from the factory. So either the TSB wasn't done on my bike or my bike wasn't covered by it.
Time for some research and rear rim measuring.

2004 KTM 950 Adventure
Black is the new orange
Old 11-19-2014, 11:03 PM   #9
Qwik
Adrenaline Addict

Oddometer: 6,413
Rim will have the size stamped on it.
Old 11-20-2014, 05:53 AM   #10
Goss
LC8 Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,365
The TSB was only for adding washers and re torquing if I remember correctly. Pretty sure a head gasket replacement was not part of that.
Goss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 07:25 AM   #11
Qwik
Adrenaline Addict

Oddometer: 6,413
Yup, what Goss said. No need to pull the head when doing the TSB.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:37 AM   #12
mcstark OP
KaTooM convert

Qwik & Goss - Interesting. The 950info sites says, "A Tech Bulletin was issued calling for installation of redesigned head nuts and washers. Repair includes new head gaskets, nuts, washers etc. (later bikes have different part numbered heads)."

I did some searching and found this post: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...73&postcount=1. It confirms what you both said. Replacement of the gasket was only necessary when a leak was present. It does mention using a special tool for the outside nuts. Do I necessarily need that?

BTW, I checked my rear rim. It's a Behr rim (same company as my GS had) and marked as a 18x4.0. The front rim is not marked at all, but has a Woody's sticker on it. I'm guessing the front rim was taco'd at some point and replaced.

2004 KTM 950 Adventure
Black is the new orange

mcstark screwed with this post 11-20-2014 at 08:46 AM
Old 11-20-2014, 10:19 AM   #13
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 7,981
This valve adjustment How-To in The Hall Of Wisdom (*bookmark it!) gives the lowdown on the head nuts as well.
Old 11-20-2014, 10:38 AM   #14
mcstark OP
KaTooM convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckracer View Post
This valve adjustment How-To in The Hall Of Wisdom (*bookmark it!) gives the lowdown on the head nuts as well.
Linky no worky.

Could it be this one: http://www.ktm950.info/how/Orange%20...justment.html?

2004 KTM 950 Adventure
Black is the new orange
Old 11-20-2014, 10:47 AM   #15
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 7,981
"Experienced Valve Tweaker Guide"

Trying again: http://www.ktm950.info/how/Orange%20...ve_adjust.html