User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2004, 11:30 AM   #1
Buckster OP
Banned

Oddometer: 1,003
Saharas

150 miles on wet greasy city roads today, mutiple back end slides and a couple of front end slides, these aint good wet road tyres.
Buckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 12:19 PM   #2
dirtrider
Dusty Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,309
I couldn't get them off my KTM fast enough and go to knobbies. In mud or snow they were flat scary.
2001 KTM 640 LC4 Sold
I only like two kinds of women, foreign and domestic
dirtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 12:39 PM   #3
creeper
Still alive...

Oddometer: 10,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckster
150 miles on wet greasy city roads today, mutiple back end slides and a couple of front end slides, these aint good wet road tyres.
Hi ya' Bucky,

Had a few moments myself on Saharas. I think the only thing they do well is... well, nothing really. Oh, OK... they last about 5K miles. There, that's what there good for.

Trade-offs suck...
Old 10-12-2004, 12:51 PM   #4
ChrisC
Molon Labe

Oddometer: 6,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper
There, that's what there good for.
And, they are unparalled in lightening your wallet should you choose to replace them with like type....

CC
ChrisC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 01:21 PM   #5
Loadedagain
making chips

Oddometer: 26,698
ahhh sheet. let the ridicule begin..........

i like saharas for general on road (mostly) and a bit of off road use. i'm on my third set and i will buy them again next time.

btw... second set of wheels have dunlop d606's on them

Stenhouse Racing - Specializing in KTM Upgrades
custom cnc service available to suit your specific needs.
Loadedagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 01:24 PM   #6
creeper
Still alive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loadedagain
ahhh sheet. let the ridicule begin..........

i like saharas for general on road (mostly) and a bit of off road use. i'm on my third set and i will buy them again next time.

btw... second set of wheels have dunlop d606's on them
Did you just wake up pookie? Posting like a busy bee for the past few minutes.

Saharas would be considered a great tire... if you could get a set for about $150 US.
Old 10-12-2004, 01:37 PM   #7
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,233
I ride mostly offroad, so I spooned on knobbies right after the first service @ 1000km, threw the Sahara's up in the rack for possible future use.

Put them back on in May of this year to do the Hoedown in Vermont, then down to the BYOB and back up to Canada. During that ride most of the time I was at full load, three hard cases and a tankbag, and my fat ass. Wet or dry, they worked pretty good for the whole trip. In the end, I put 7000 km on them, and the rear was done, but not cooked. Could have probably gotten another 1500 km out of the rear, and the front still had lots left. The traction loaded was alright, more than enough for the conditions.

When we got to Hot Springs, I unloaded the beast then spent a day playing tag with Steverino down to Deals and back. Good grip, but I found the full speed lean required a careful touch. A little light on slide warning. But we managed to have lots of fun anyways, didn't we Steve & Bart?
Old 10-12-2004, 02:03 PM   #8
Loadedagain
making chips

Quote:
Did you just wake up pookie? Posting like a busy bee for the past few minutes.

Saharas would be considered a great tire... if you could get a set for about $150 US.
nope. just got back from lunch. work is a little less appealing than posting here.

they aren't that much more (i don't think anyway) than that are they? i didn't really ask how much... i knew i liked them so i bought 'em again. how much less is a comparable tire... and what is a comparable tire. keep in mind i do have dot knobbies for off road use.

Old 10-12-2004, 02:07 PM   #9
creeper
Still alive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loadedagain
nope. just got back from lunch. work is a little less appealing than posting here.

they aren't that much more (i don't think anyway) than that are they? i didn't really ask how much... i knew i liked them so i bought 'em again. how much less is a comparable tire... and what is a comparable tire. keep in mind i do have dot knobbies for off road use.
Good question. Back in a few minutes with some comparable tires for use and mileage.
Old 10-12-2004, 02:29 PM   #10
creeper
Still alive...

Just looking at US retail prices for rears tires, the Saharas at $161 retail are the second most expensive tires there are, out priced only by the Michelin Sirac at $177.

Dunlop 907, Maxxis 6006 & 7000, IRC GP110, Bridgestone E660, Metzeler Karoo, Pirelli MT21 and Conti TKC rears in 140/80 or eqivalent all run between $75 and $110 each.

I didn't include any of the more street oriented tires... the Sirac being rated a 25S/75D and the most "street" of all tires listed.

Interesting... the two tires that potentially will deliver the highest mileage, are also the most expensive.

So, do you want fresh knobs every 3K miles or so for about $85 average... or do you want 5-6K on a rear tire, for about twice that?

creeper screwed with this post 10-12-2004 at 04:24 PM
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 02:43 PM   #11
Loadedagain
making chips

Quote:
So, do you want fresh knobs every 3K miles or so for about $85 average... or do you want 5-6K on a set of tires, for about twice that?
guess i made a decision to spend the money for longevity and a tire i know i like.

Old 10-13-2004, 03:29 AM   #12
Buckster OP
Banned

I think I will go with TKC's after I wear down the Saharas, they are just to hard a compound for wet weather use here in the cold and miserable U.K., on a 160kg. I am sure that with a heavier bike and/or hotter climate they would be a lot different, they are pretty good in the dry, although I can get the front to slide mid corner just by altering weight distribution, shits up the people I ride with.

Last night while riding through London in the rain an asshat in a Ford Mondeo pulled out on me, I ended up very sideways but missed him, I smacked the fuck out of his rear door with a good kick though, a despatch rider went round the other side of him and punched his mirror off for good measure.

Now I didn't have to put my feet down but it felt like I was riding in a river of liquid shit all the time, I am used to a bike behaving like this when riding over limestone but not for 60 miles at a time. TKC's for me.
Old 10-13-2004, 04:14 AM   #13
Mack
Gone, but never forgotten. RIP, Mack...

Oddometer: 3,797
Being I am in Texas I have not riden my TKC's on the wet snot slick pavement here yet, but you might check with KTim on the issue of TKC's in the wet. I was warned by several riders that the 21" TKC is a different animal then the 19" TKC fitted to the GS's, the 21" is said to be hairy in the rain, and lets loose with little to no warning. I would like to hear of others experience with these tires.
Old 10-13-2004, 04:52 AM   #14
Buckster OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack
Being I am in Texas I have not riden my TKC's on the wet snot slick pavement here yet, but you might check with KTim on the issue of TKC's in the wet. I was warned by several riders that the 21" TKC is a different animal then the 19" TKC fitted to the GS's, the 21" is said to be hairy in the rain, and lets loose with little to no warning. I would like to hear of others experience with these tires.
Good point, he must get plenty of wet living on that rock. KTiM?
Old 10-13-2004, 08:45 AM   #15
creeper
Still alive...

What ever you do end up with Bucky... give us the report, as we are all always looking for the "perfect tire".
The 6006s I've been running are pretty good at everything and very stable on wet tarmac, although now that they have some miles on them, they are a bit "lumpy-bumpy" at street speeds... oddly enough, they are fine on the highway.
Up side, dirt cheap... Down side is if they go 3K... I'd be surprised.