Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2004, 10:00 AM   #16
Buckster OP
Banned

Oddometer: 1,003
It was raining heavier today and the Saharas were just as bad as yesterday, I spent all day pushing them to the limit which was all to easy, I will probably ditch them until the summer, I can get Siracs at a good price but they look like they will be poop on the dirt, what are MT21's like on tarmac? I attacked a bit of mud today and the Saharas may as well have been slicks, great bike, shit tyres.
Buckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 10:15 AM   #17
rockt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,149
What are Avon Gripsters like? Anyone have any experience with them?
rockt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 10:40 AM   #18
dirtrider
Dusty Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckster
It was raining heavier today and the Saharas were just as bad as yesterday, I spent all day pushing them to the limit which was all to easy, I will probably ditch them until the summer, I can get Siracs at a good price but they look like they will be poop on the dirt, what are MT21's like on tarmac? I attacked a bit of mud today and the Saharas may as well have been slicks, great bike, shit tyres.
I've run Sahara's, Dunlop D606's, Metzeler Karoo's, Pirelli Scorpians, and Pirelli MT21's on my LC4 and by far prefer the MT21's. They are smooth on the highway and work well in the dirt.

All of you can keep dreaming! There is no "Perfect" tire.
2001 KTM 640 LC4 Sold
I only like two kinds of women, foreign and domestic
dirtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 10:53 AM   #19
Buckster OP
Banned

What size 6006 are you running rear Creeper? My current rear is 140/80
Old 10-13-2004, 11:43 AM   #20
ChrisC
Amal sex?

Oddometer: 6,318
Maxxis 6006

Buck,

Creep's runnin' the same as me....140/80X18

Oh, and bite me Creeper....it's only the 4th time I've posted this pic
ChrisC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 09:10 PM   #21
creeper
Still alive...

Oddometer: 10,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC
Buck,

Creep's runnin' the same as me....140/80X18

Oh, and bite me Creeper....it's only the 4th time I've posted this pic
Fifth time now... uberphotoshopmeister
Old 10-13-2004, 10:03 PM   #22
motu
Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer: 4,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack
Being I am in Texas I have not riden my TKC's on the wet snot slick pavement here yet, but you might check with KTim on the issue of TKC's in the wet. I was warned by several riders that the 21" TKC is a different animal then the 19" TKC fitted to the GS's, the 21" is said to be hairy in the rain, and lets loose with little to no warning. I would like to hear of others experience with these tires.
I've seen the 19in TKC80 on bikes pushed hard on seal - they still have chicken strips...the 21 TKC80 goes off the edge of the knobs very soon,I've got no idea how the hell it hangs on,mine is showing some serious wear on the side knobs at 10,000km,the centre is like new,I run low pressures (20 psi) but have no issues at all with handling.You don't come charging into corners with the throttle rolled off or you'll push out off the road,get the gas on early and you can keep the pace up.In the wet I err on the side of caution,it can be a slippery customer alright.

My Sahara is nearly worn out at 3000km,by 4000km it will be gone - it's crap off road (that means mud here) average in gravel and I can live with it on seal,but the side knobs are showing heavy brake wear - this is engine braking corner entry...looks like this thing is on the verge of stepping out all the time,but never does unless there is a surface problem.Not my favorite tyre,but the only thing it does wrong is get stuck in mud.
motu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 06:30 AM   #23
dagwood
Banned

Oddometer: 35,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockt
What are Avon Gripsters like? Anyone have any experience with them?
Gripstes are great road tires but NOT dirt tires. maybe hard pack dirt road but still scetchy.
dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 08:13 AM   #24
gybeman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 625
For mostly offroad, has anyone found the best KTM Adventure front tire ? I'm running mt21's after the scary Sahara's (in wet offroad conditions) but am still looking for maximum front end grip in slimey conditions. The mt21's are surprisingly good on pavement tho. I'm thinking of going to a Michelin S12 or M12 front as I really like the feel of them on other bikes. Raising the forks slightly hasn't helped much. A bud's 640 enduro with smaller 43mm forks and the same tires feels so different (for the good), and I thought both bikes had the same basic frame geometry.
gybeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 08:34 AM   #25
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,168
isnt their a tire thread somewhere? it would be nice to compile a list of opinions on the various tires and comparisons. this comes up too often not to have one.

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 12:43 PM   #26
GT-STMC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Quote:
isnt their a tire thread somewhere? it would be nice to compile a list of opinions on the various tires and comparisons. this comes up too often not to have one.
Ya..., I'm about to have to invest in my first tire purchase after stock.
I use my bike 85% on the street, but am totally lost as to what to buy.

2001 KTM 640 Adventure, 1997 Kawasaki Ninja (converted to "street fighter" form)
"Sex....., Money......, Horsepower......, too much is never enough"

2004 Mustang Mach1, 1970 Mustang Mach1
GT-STMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 01:09 PM   #27
dirtrider
Dusty Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by gybeman
For mostly offroad, has anyone found the best KTM Adventure front tire ? I'm running mt21's after the scary Sahara's (in wet offroad conditions) but am still looking for maximum front end grip in slimey conditions. The mt21's are surprisingly good on pavement tho. I'm thinking of going to a Michelin S12 or M12 front as I really like the feel of them on other bikes. Raising the forks slightly hasn't helped much. A bud's 640 enduro with smaller 43mm forks and the same tires feels so different (for the good), and I thought both bikes had the same basic frame geometry.
Although I consider the S12's to be the finest off road tires and the only tires I'll run on my EXC, I would not use the S12 or M12 on the street. Either would wear out quickly and would have sketchy handling on pavement.

The Adventure and Enduro models have the same exact frame geometry, but the E model has less weight over the front end. A crappy tire would be more evident on the Adventure as more weight over the front tire would tend to push more in corners if the surface was slick.
2001 KTM 640 LC4 Sold
I only like two kinds of women, foreign and domestic
dirtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 03:24 AM   #28
Buckster OP
Banned

Well that's it, the Saharas are not long for this world, on my way home I used a local green lane that I am familiar with last night. After 3 days of rainit was like a small river, one section is a hill about half a mile long, covered in shail, there was a good stream running down it, I had zero grip, I approached it slowly at first but had to turn round and go back down, then gunned it and slid and slithered my way to the top in a very un dignified manner. More a testament to the bikes capabilities and balance than mine, I may as well have been running road tyres.

And my boots have started leaking.
Old 10-16-2004, 06:40 AM   #29
Tim
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,357
Buckster, if you are getting that type of rear and front slides on road in the wet then you really don't want to go anywhere near the 21 inch TKC in the wet - it hurt me

and my bike!

No warning whatsoever, upright one moment, on my arse sliding down the road the next!

On the Saharas I like them, a good all rounder I find, not good in mud etc but only a full knobbly is really going to be any good in those conditions. I like the MT21s and never had much of a problem with them on road but you can't push them too hard in the wet, if you're getting big slides with the Saharas you'll find the MT21s even worse. The MT21s will get you up that green lane in the wet though! You'll also only get about 2000 miles out of a rear MT21 if you're lucky and the knobs will fly off at speed (80mph +)!
Old 10-16-2004, 06:41 AM   #30
Tim
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,357
Buckster, if you are getting that type of rear and front slides on road in the wet then you really don't want to go anywhere near the 21 inch TKC in the wet - it hurt me

and my bike!

No warning whatsoever, upright one moment, on my arse sliding down the road the next!

On the Saharas I like them, a good all rounder I find, not good in mud etc but only a full knobbly is really going to be any good in those conditions. I like the MT21s and never had much of a problem with them on road but you can't push them too hard in the wet, if you're getting big slides with the Saharas you'll find the MT21s even worse. The MT21s will get you up that green lane in the wet though! You'll also only get about 2000 miles out of a rear MT21 if you're lucky and the knobs will fly off at speed (80mph +)!