ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2010, 09:40 PM   #16
liv2rydktms
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,253
Part 2

Steep is still at work. I thought I'd surprise him by finishing this RR.

We prepared and ate our breakfast in the community kitchen at the school.

Then hit highway 14. It is a beautiful Day there is a clear view of Mt. Hood.

We're loving life, right now.

I really wanted to try to find Wind river hot springs. Found where we should have been able to take a 1/2 mile hike to it, but the area was posted no Parking or Trespassing. We turn around and head to Carson. Rode under this power line getting back up from the Wind River.

Next stop Carson Hot Springs Spa. Carson Hot Springs does not have a pool. There are Men and Ladies bathhouses. Wraps and massages are available following your soak.

We're not here to soak we are hoping to find the Shipherd falls trail behind the old St Martins. Hotel. Yeehaw! We see it.

See this.

Lots of intertesting things to enjoy while making our way to the Falls.

Found some flowers for Ladybug!

See the suspension bridge: Knew we wouldn't be able to cross it.

Hike on past to get pictures of the Falls.

Head back to the old St. Matins Hotel.

Noticed the gate to the Golf Course was closed on the way down. Asked permission to crawl under it to get pictures of the St. Martin Family Cemetery.

Isadore St. Martins Headstone.

St Martins History.
The Carson Mineral Hot Springs (Carson, WA)
There are several natural hot springs in the Columbia River gorge. Native Americans used them in prehistoric time for therapeutic purposes. When pioneers began to settle in the gorge, many chose lands on or near the hot springs. After a few years, several resorts were constructed. During the Great Depression many of the hot springs were covered or drowned under the reservoirs constructed as part of the public works projects.
One of the few remaining resorts is the Carson Mineral Hot Springs, also known as the Hotel St. Martin, in Carson, Washington. The three story hotel was built 1899 by 57 year old Isadore St. Martin as his retirement business. St. Martin had led an active life up to that point. At the age of 13 he had volunteered as a scout in the Indian Wars of 1855 and 1856. He had also been a guide for miners in the various gold, silver and copper rushes in the Cascade Mountains.
In 1910 St. Martin had a disagreement with "Old Man" Robert Brown about the health benefits of the hot springs. The two men had been arguing about the subject for years. This time the disagreement ended in tragedy. St. Martin grabbed Brown by the shirt collar and force marched him off the property. While he was doing this Brown accidentally stabbed St. Martin. Whether he had been cutting an apple or whittling a piece of wood, no on remembered, but Brown had been holding a pen knife in his hand while he argued with St. Martin. As St. Martin was marching him off the property, Brown had flailed his arms around and accidentally stabbed St. Martin in the chest.
St Martin walked into the hotel where he collapsed. He was carried up to the third floor where he and his wife had their apartment; and died a few minutes later. Mrs. St. Martin was devastated by the death of her husband and did not survive him for very long. It is her ghost, or that of an old time maid who continues "help" the living house keeping staff.
Some of the staff have had glimpses of an elderly lady, moving about the second story rooms and hallway at the front of the hotel. When the follow her to investigate, the woman has vanished. She is sometimes seen in the first floor lobby. People have heard the sound of footsteps at night, walking along the third floor. This is unusual, since the third floor is no longer used and is kept blocked off.

After the cemetery we ride through Carson proper.

That's Steep chasing after me since I went the wrong way. I had figured it out and was headed back.

We ride through Carson back to Highway 14. See the flume again!

Pass another rider on our way to Snowden

Steep spots Snowden. I'll have to turn around. Not much there but the school that is now someone's home.

Nice of the folks to have a sign just for us.

Take the Snowden cut off road / Acme road.

Close to the Snowden Road and Acme road interesection is the Brook Mountain School. You will have to go find it yourself. We don't want to spoil all your fun.

Ride highway 14, cross the Columbia See these riders riding up the hill from Umatilla. Highway 730.

Ride quickly past TRCI. Just Kidding.

We stopped so Steep could check his voice mail: Just in case they were experiencing technical difficulties. No voice mails. All is well.

Past Warehouse Beach Rec. Area. Quads are out there playing.

Took Cold Springs Highway the rest of the way home.

Steep walked in just as I'm typing this ending sentence. Great weekend.

IBA#33733
"R" Death Valley trip

liv2rydktms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:36 PM   #17
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,042

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 02:05 AM   #18
dhally
Hammerhead

Oddometer: 2,211
Once again, very interesting ride report! I went from Goose Lake to Wind River one year in June and there were still snow drifts on top. Very good 2 track road over the top in the summer.

My dad used to live in Klickitat. These are carbon dioxide wells or springs. There was a dry ice plant near Klickitat and the carbon dioxide was gathered at these structures. He had a job driving the dry ice truck for a while. Was the warm springs carbonated?

Tiger 800 - FOR SALE
dhally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 04:46 AM   #19
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,803
Nice ride and you found flowers

I love the bits of history you include in your reports.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 05:28 AM   #20
RicH2
Ric H2

Oddometer: 2,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by liv2rydktms
The ride report was posted in the region where those places "Stonehenge/Mt Hood/Oklahoma/" are located. I really don't understand your concern. The ride report was not in the ADVrider report section. Seriously states and countries shouldn't require identification in a regional RR.

Nice to see someone from your state enjoying our area ride reports. If you're ever out this way we would share tracks, or we'd love to show you around the great PNW.
Thanks.... I lived in Seattle several years and have friends in Portland. I love the area. I run across a lot of RR with town or geographic names given without state names, as if everyone who'll read the report lives in the area. No big deal. Just me. It was funny that I had to review the report here to understand how the guy got from Mt Hood to the state of Oklahoma so fast.

If a fella like me in Alabama wants to ride a bike in oregon (for example) next time i visit my friends in Portland, this is the best place in the world to get first hand info.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:53 AM   #21
liv2rydktms
Beastly Adventurer

RR titiles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicH2
Thanks.... I lived in Seattle several years and have friends in Portland. I love the area. I run across a lot of RR with town or geographic names given without state names, as if everyone who'll read the report lives in the area. No big deal. Just me. It was funny that I had to review the report here to understand how the guy got from Mt Hood to the state of Oklahoma so fast.
If I had started the RR I would have titled It. "What in the Sam Hill"? Biggs to Oklahoma in a day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicH2
If a fella like me in Alabama wants to ride a bike in oregon (for example) next time i visit my friends in Portland, this is the best place in the world to get first hand info.
Are you interested in our tracks?
If you are PM us with your email addy we love to share.
IBA#33733
"R" Death Valley trip

Old 03-12-2010, 08:20 AM   #22
liv2rydktms
Beastly Adventurer

Inquiring minds want to know!

What in the Sam Hill?!

Jill Livingston Everyone's Asking!

What is the origin of this familiar "Sam Hill" question?

As far as the officials at Maryhill know, the phrase predates "our" Sam Hill and refers to a farmer from one of the New England states who ran for public office--but no one knew who he was or from where he came!

You can read Livingston's entire article here:

http://www.livinggoldpress.com/samhill.htm#answer

More Theories: for you to ponder:
http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/31854
IBA#33733
"R" Death Valley trip

Old 03-12-2010, 08:51 AM   #23
panhead_dan
motorcycle addict

Oddometer: 754
There is kinda like a zoo near Dallesport worth riding through. Exotic critters live there.
panhead_dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 12:54 PM   #24
Mr. Jetmoto
Banned

Oddometer: 1,903
Very nice! It always amazes me how much fun you can have without going all that far...
Mr. Jetmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 03:26 PM   #25
Mr. Fisherman
PROUD 2B Riff Raff!

Oddometer: 10,659
I am a little dissapointed you were that close and didn't even call

Sure looks like you had fun though
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 03:53 PM   #26
liv2rydktms
Beastly Adventurer

Uh-OH!

I thought you'd be working? Maybe I'm confused about your work week. Are you on a rotating schedule? If so I am a dirty dog. We would have loved to see you and Mrs Fishy.
IBA#33733
"R" Death Valley trip

Old 03-12-2010, 06:57 PM   #27
Mr. Fisherman
PROUD 2B Riff Raff!

Oddometer: 10,659
You never know if you don't ask

Hope to hear from you soon. I do work a lot more than I play. I need to do something about that but ya gotta pay to play. I have been picking up bike stuff. I need to take it out and play with it soon.
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 07:04 PM   #28
liv2rydktms
Beastly Adventurer

Eh? Agreed, I'm a Dirty Dog!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fisherman
You never know if you don't ask

Hope to hear from you soon. I do work a lot more than I play. I need to do something about that but ya gotta pay to play. I have been picking up bike stuff. I need to take it out and play with it soon.
Good point. I will remember it. We're staying home this weekend to do chores. Shocking isn't it.
IBA#33733
"R" Death Valley trip

Old 03-12-2010, 08:03 PM   #29
650x OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,110
Found some information on this building. It was part of a dry ice factory.

http://www.klickitat-trail.org/spring_06_newsletter.pdf
650x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 02:46 PM   #30
Tom Edison
No hurry, no worry

Oddometer: 2,362
Thanks for the great report and photo's. I was born in White Salmon and reading all those local names takes me back. Not telling my age but I remeber seeing the log flumes in operation. There is a lot of country to ride there.