User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2010, 08:25 PM   #1
Gravytrain OP
house husband

Oddometer: 205
Airhead exhaust question

My new to me '95 R100GS has two exhaust leaks that I would like to address.
I would like to have the new parts before I tear it apart.

Questions:
[IMG]
One leak is at the exhaust pipe nut.
Do I need both 12. clamp ring and 13. compression ring?

Also, I need gasket 8.
Is there a part at the parts store or exhaust shop to sub for this that is not 13 dollars?

I hope this effort to be prepared will not jinx me with my exhaust pipe nuts.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:39 PM   #2
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravytrain
Is there a part at the parts store or exhaust shop to sub for this that is not 13 dollars?
There's probably a part in your recycling bin that will work. Snipped up strips of beer can work nicely. No, seriously. If that doesn't seal to your liking, then a strip of fiberglass will work fine too.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:20 PM   #3
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Oddometer: 4,295
parts 12 and 13 are both needed fer-sure!
But unless some one intentionally vandalized them, you re-use them as they are steel and don't "crush" like other seals and gaskets.
I used some .030" aluminum roof flashing for the other gasket and it worked excellent. The softer the aluminum the better, which is why flashing works great.
Robert[/QUOTE]

www.wirewerkes.com
KILL YOUR TELEVISION !!!!
wirewrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 03:27 AM   #4
Yarddog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
There is also some exhaust sealer made by Permatex that might work for you. However, were it me, and exhaust leaks bothered me, I'd bite the bullet and buy that gasket and be CERTAIN that it would work...If it's leaking at the head, I think I'd buy both the parts there...although I agree that in theory, they should be able to be reused...
Yarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 06:13 AM   #5
StephenB
G(/)S ... what else!

Oddometer: 2,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler
Snipped up strips of beer can work nicely. No, seriously.
+1

Some of the above is fact, some is fiction, some is my personal imagination and some is just simple truth. [me]

... i'm not touring around the world, but neither are most of the guys i see running overloaded spam cans ... [bmwblake]

Stephen Bottcher
Ontario, Canada

'72 R75/5 The Blues

www.stephenbottcher.net
StephenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 07:30 AM   #6
Infracaninophile
Finding My Way..

Oddometer: 7,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenB
+1
Does it need to be imported Euro beer or would a Coors or Miller can work just as well? Just not sure about the whole metric versus SAE thing....

T.
Infracaninophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 08:33 AM   #7
Gravytrain OP
house husband

I drink my beer from a bottle
Old 03-12-2010, 08:35 AM   #8
Infracaninophile
Finding My Way..

Oddometer: 7,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravytrain
I drink my beer from a bottle
Me too. But it appears that most airheads would drink beer from a crusty sneaker as long as it was free.

T.
Infracaninophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:27 AM   #9
Gravytrain OP
house husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infracaninophile
Me too. But it appears that most airheads would drink beer from a crusty sneaker as long as it was free.

T.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:28 AM   #10
Beater
Mighty Unclean

Oddometer: 3,169
I've personally seen two joints sealed with a beer can.

bgoodsoil?

baldwithglasses?
Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 10:00 AM   #11
lkchris
Albuquerque

Oddometer: 989
I'd be suspicious of the leaks at the exhaust nut, as they more likely represent thread problems, since--as previously noted--the sealing rings there are basically indestructable. I could only speculate that these rings might be damaged by having everything loose and consequently a hot jet of exhaust compromised them. Or, they could have been in salt water for a year or other such silliness.

Put (hi temp) antiseize on the threads on the heads and then get the nuts tight and check them frequently ... is the best approach.

A really nice set of photos of all the "gaskets" is here
http://www.motobins.co.uk/displayfin...odel=&bike=991

Optimol TA is the best antiseize for this application--they don't sell stuff suitable for German vehicles down to Pep Boys.

http://www.motobins.co.uk/displayfin...odel=&bike=991

#8, BTW, is the clamp--the gasket is #7.
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 10:45 AM   #12
Gravytrain OP
house husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkchris

#8, BTW, is the clamp--the gasket is #7.
I think you are looking at #6
Old 03-12-2010, 11:01 AM   #13
Gravytrain OP
house husband

If you look close at this picture you can kind of see the gap that is leaking.
[IMG]
Almost looks like the pipe is not perfectly round.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:38 AM   #14
Yarddog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
Could be that the chrome on the pipe is corroded so bad that things have loosened up in there...were I the OP, I would spring for all the parts he's identified...pop the exhaust apart...and be prepared to use a Dremel tool or similar, maybe even a blaster, to clean up the sealing surface at the head...and back at the gasket, as well...

Mr. Christenson, I would agree that a certain anti-seize might work better for a high temperature usage, but for a German vehicle versus any other nationality vehicle...I don't think so...If its the best thing for a German vehicle, it's gonna be the best thing for an American vehicle, or Japanese, or a Yugo!!! I've often wondered whether the Permatex anti-seize is the right thing for exhaust parts, and if there's something better out there for that, I do appreciate the intel...I think it's ridiculous for a supposedly high quality vehicle to require taking apart the exhaust nut for renewing the anti-seize every year, and to take basically the whole bike apart to relube the clutch splines every year... That doesn't bespeak high quality to this ol' country boy!!! But if there's something that will avoid that situation, yeah, I wanna know about it, and thanks for lettin' us know, sir...
Yarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 04:26 PM   #15
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,516
They can be a little difficult to line sometimes, you may want to try first just putting the pipes up to see if they line well. One of them may be slightly bent too. I've seen it, but a reasonably easy fix.

I used to put a block of wood under the muffler or pipes with some shims and tried to get them as close as possible to where they should be. It saves a lot of contorsions for lining/tightening.

If they seem to line up good,then just don't tighten one fully and then go on to the other one, you should alternate between them as you tighten. A little wiggling also helps as you tighten them up.

Loosening the cross pipe can help too.

And look in the holes too first, there may be carbon/crud/nicks in there that may need to be cleaned up first.

For years I never had the OEM gasket(s) at the muffler, brass shim stock worked just fine, a small piece of scotch tape so it does not unravel,stick the muffler over it...that's it!

Good luck!

H96669 screwed with this post 03-12-2010 at 04:38 PM
H96669 is offline   Reply With Quote