ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-13-2004, 07:38 AM   #1
bear
Guest
 
Oddometer: n/a
Ural patrol

I have been looking at the Ural patrol off and on for a while. I know it has been discussed briefly here and here on this site. I was hoping to get intelligent information on the bike, maintence, problems and best place to get one from or intelligent information to make me reconsider my decision. Not sure where to put this so I thought I would start in the Road Warrior forum.

All useful comments and help much appreciated.

bear
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 08:11 AM   #2
Chopperman
I am dead
 
Chopperman's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2001
Oddometer: 27,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear
I have been looking at the Ural patrol off and on for a while. I know it has been discussed briefly here and here on this site. I was hoping to get intelligent information on the bike, maintence, problems and best place to get one from or intelligent information to make me reconsider my decision. Not sure where to put this so I thought I would start in the Road Warrior forum.

All useful comments and help much appreciated.

bear

What exactly are you needing to know? What are your expectations? How do you plan to use it? Who are your closest dealers?

Answering those questions will help a lot.

The short answer is if you are going to get one, go for new vs used. The newest bikes are vastly better than the ones from even 2 years ago. A used 03 would probably be good.
__________________
dead
Chopperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 08:30 AM   #3
bear
Guest
 
Oddometer: n/a
1. Maintence issues- problems and availability of parts or crossover parts if orginals are not availale I hope it will not be like my old sportser and need constant tinking to get it to run, scheduled maintance is fine
2. The closest dealer is not where I want to do business and others in my area that have urals have recommended going out of state for better intial satisfaction.
3. My are expectations are that it is a old motorcycle with some updated features but overall it will not perform at the level of a modern bike.
4. I am going to use it to run around backroads with my wife. Go camping, use as limitations allow. I hope it, will be a wonderful addition to my stable.
I would like to go new, but if a deal presented itself used would be okay, recommending 03 for the used route helps.
5. What kind of price, extras, warranty can I expect.

6. I only own bikes and that is my main source of travel. I won't expect the Patrol to do daily duty but it would be nice to use it as a back up. Can it maintain a speed of 70mph without me feeling I am going to blow up the motor?

That is all I have now, but can add more as comments are given and new questions arise. Thanks
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 09:09 AM   #4
Chopperman
I am dead
 
Chopperman's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2001
Oddometer: 27,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear
1. Maintence issues- problems and availability of parts or crossover parts if orginals are not availale I hope it will not be like my old sportser and need constant tinking to get it to run, scheduled maintance is fine
2. The closest dealer is not where I want to do business and others in my area that have urals have recommended going out of state for better intial satisfaction.
3. My are expectations are that it is a old motorcycle with some updated features but overall it will not perform at the level of a modern bike.
4. I am going to use it to run around backroads with my wife. Go camping, use as limitations allow. I hope it, will be a wonderful addition to my stable.
I would like to go new, but if a deal presented itself used would be okay, recommending 03 for the used route helps.
5. What kind of price, extras, warranty can I expect.

6. I only own bikes and that is my main source of travel. I won't expect the Patrol to do daily duty but it would be nice to use it as a back up. Can it maintain a speed of 70mph without me feeling I am going to blow up the motor?

That is all I have now, but can add more as comments are given and new questions arise. Thanks

Ah good. there is some meat I can chew on. I have had a short but intense experience with Urals.

www.ural.com gives warranty info. But the long and short is: 2 years unlimited miles, parts AND labor. If you dont want to deal with your local dealer, you can opt for a different bike shop or even do it yourself. But you do have to arrange it ahead of time with them. They do pay shop rate, but the time is flat (i.e. XX hours for YY task) the flat is pretty fair. I can manage it for most tasks, but I cant dawdle. Feel free to contact the folks at Ural.com (the importer) if you hae any concerns about the warranty.

Maintenance - is about like you would expect on an airhead bmw or guzzi. valve adjusts, oil changes, nut and bolt checks. because the parts are still relatively unrefined when compared to other modern bikes, break in requires more frequent valve adjustments and they dohave a great deal of impact on the performance. Basically if you cant start it on the first kick when warm...the valves are out of whack.

Break in - is about like you would expect on a modern bike. work it through the gears and work your way up the power band for the first 500 miles (6-800KM) then ride it like you plan to for the rest of its life. Because of the warranty, I advise being pretty rough with it to shake loose any parts that might be not up to the long haul. Once done and with a close eye on maintenance, they run a long ways. I worked on a couple 2000 patrols that have 50 and 60,000 kms on them.

Other - dont expect pretty. They tend to weep a bit of oil. about like an airhead bmw usually does. But no drips

Performance - the stock EPA jetting on the carbs makes them anemic in 4th gear. really anemic. But the carbs are common kehein 22mm CV. jets, needles and such are readily available. Shim the needle and go to a slightly bigger main and the motor pulls much mo bettah. THe patrol is not going to exceed 65 especially with a passenger in the hack. sustained high speeds seem to be okay in the newer bikes. the older ones dont like it. I did a pair of 400 mile days on an 03 Gear-Up in 100 degree heat this summer. Out of caution (not my bike) I slowed it up about every 50-75 miles. The patrol is my fave Ural. A guy I know took his over a serious 2 day jeep trail, having to tie off in some places and go in reverse in others. Cost him a clutch, but it did it.


Parts - occasionally the importer will be waiting on a shipment for some parts. That can be frustrating. So stock up on consumables. The prices are so low that it doesnt break you to do it. And you can usually find a dealer somewhere who has what you need.

Typical issues - on the 04 bikes they went to a new alternator setup. ND alternator with a cush drive. The older bikes stil use the ruccian alternator. THose do fail periodically. The ND can be fitted to an older bike, but the airbox has to be replaced as well. it can cost. The other main failure is the electronic ignition. If you dont want to rely on a dealer, buy one and stick it on a shelf in the garage. You may never need it. And the final frequent issue is timing gears. Some go forever. Some die in 10k miles. But they give you lots of warning (they get DAMN noisy) replacing them is not as hard as it sounds. 2 hours if you have done it before. 4-6 if you havent.

COsts - I have noted a lot of things that are probably giving you the willies. The good news is that all of those things are relatively cheap even if you have to buy them after the warranty expires. timing gears are under 30 bucks. ignition system (complete with coil, brain, sensor) is under 200. A new alternator is 225. The upgrade to ND is 300 (at last report) Parts with very few exceptions tend to run well under half the cost of other bike brand parts.

The skinny - I am noting the warts here. But not all the bikes experience them. The main thing that I have noted is that owners who aremeticulous about maintenance and dont expect 70mph commutes of 100+ miles on old oil have happy experiences. Those who try to ride and use them like a modern japanese bike, dont. There is a lot of help available from the online community. The importer has a CD set available for 20 bucks that has videos of all the maintenance procedures.

Buying used - I wouldnt buy older than an 03 if I didnt plan on goign through the bike and expecting to spend a fair heap on parts. You dont know how it was treated and maintained and there are differences between the current 750cc motors and the early 03 and previous 750s and 650s. I woudl also not get a 650. If I did buy an 03, I would put in an order for the alternator upgrade, buy a set of tires, a pile of oil filters and a ingition module. (figure ~500 including the alternator) simply because I hate waiting in the event one of those does fail.

Dont hesitate to holler if you have questions.
__________________
dead
Chopperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 09:27 AM   #5
cyclecat
half post a day wonder
 
cyclecat's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2001
Location: Vadito, NM, USA!
Oddometer: 1,317
Bear,
If I remember right, you are sort of in the Austin vicinity. I don't know if Jim's Outdoor Power is the place you are avoiding, but if so, you might try Perry's M/C & Sidecars in Ft. Worth, 817-429-9922. Perry Bushong was the BMW dealer and a Ural dealer but sold his shop and now just does vintage and sidecar stuff. He's one of the best. Even though he's no longer a dealer, he might stil be able to set you up on a Ural without having to go out of state.

FWIW, even though Jim's is also a lawnmower dealer, he has been selling Urals since the beginning and I've not heard anything bad about his shop.

Chop,
Is it true an airhead BMW motor can bolt right in to the Ural frame if someone feels the need to go that route?
__________________
'00 Moto Guzzi Quota 1100ES
'95 Ducati Elefant 944
cyclecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 09:31 AM   #6
Chopperman
I am dead
 
Chopperman's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2001
Oddometer: 27,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclecat
Bear,
If I remember right, you are sort of in the Austin vicinity. I don't know if Jim's Outdoor Power is the place you are avoiding, but if so, you might try Perry's M/C & Sidecars in Ft. Worth, 817-429-9922. Perry Bushong was the BMW dealer and a Ural dealer but sold his shop and now just does vintage and sidecar stuff. He's one of the best. Even though he's no longer a dealer, he might stil be able to set you up on a Ural without having to go out of state.

Chop,
Is it true an airhead BMW motor can bolt right in to the Ural frame if someone feels the need to go that route?
Hm. No dealers in tejas seem to stand out.

Cycle,
not quite. you have to make an adaptor to get the motor to fit the tranny. or rig the BMW drive line to fit. It would actually be easier to put a guzzi motor in because the clutch is damned near a duplicate. And if you lose the tranny, you lose the reverse gear. Damned handy thing, that.
__________________
dead
Chopperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 10:08 AM   #7
Sidecardoug
Pleasantly pleasing
 
Sidecardoug's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Raincity, Warshington
Oddometer: 1,795
Just get a Patrol you'll be glad you did. There are no other bikes around that can go what that rig can do.

I am on my second Ural and have had sidecars since '98. The 2003 Ural is lightyears ahead of my '97 in every way. The new alternator is going to solve the nagging alternator problems with the bikes.

It sounds like you are describing exactly the right things to do with these bikes: back roads, fire and forest service roads and bashing around in the woods. Sidecars are made for that kind of stuff. The Patrol is a good choice with its higher ground clearance and 2wd. It will take you where you want to go.
__________________
The best lack all convictions, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.
Sidecardoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 11:16 AM   #8
bear
Guest
 
Oddometer: n/a
Last time I talked to the guy at Jim's they were way out in left field on their price. I brought in the MSRP from Ural and they just were to far off for my taste. I am buying a retro bike and sidecar not a new beemer.


Chopperman, on the breakin you said to break it in like I ride. I tend to be hard on bikes, some would say real hard. Can I still break it in that way? Will the Ural beable to endure my riding style?

65 is max speed? can it be maintain if I have to do a highway jaunt once in a while?

Any accessories you would recommend right off the bat?

I change fluids on the GS every 3000 miles that going to be doable on the Ural? How meticulious are we talking? If I am off a grand is it doom?
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 11:55 AM   #9
Chopperman
I am dead
 
Chopperman's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2001
Oddometer: 27,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear
Last time I talked to the guy at Jim's they were way out in left field on their price. I brought in the MSRP from Ural and they just were to far off for my taste. I am buying a retro bike and sidecar not a new beemer.


Chopperman, on the breakin you said to break it in like I ride. I tend to be hard on bikes, some would say real hard. Can I still break it in that way? Will the Ural beable to endure my riding style?

65 is max speed? can it be maintain if I have to do a highway jaunt once in a while?

Any accessories you would recommend right off the bat?

I change fluids on the GS every 3000 miles that going to be doable on the Ural? How meticulious are we talking? If I am off a grand is it doom?

Lots of folks ride them hard. The one I used had been taken from the crate, entered in a 200 mile offroad rally (finished in the top 10) then handed over to me for a 700 mile highway ride through eastern washington in july (*hot*) and the heads hadnt even been retourqued yet.

So being off a few miles wont hurt it. What is critical is valve lash. The quick check as I mentioned before is warm start via kicker. The manual comes with a nice checklist of what to do at each interval.

65 is pretty much flat out. You find you end up taking backroads rather than freeways. I was finding the Ural I rode was more happy at 60. But then it had stock jetting.

Worry less. I note all of these things because I dont want you to have any surprises. I think you'll find that once you get rolling on one, you will learn to love it . Wait till you get it "stuck" offroad and then kick on the 2wd and climb out with ease
__________________
dead
Chopperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 12:51 PM   #10
Sidecardoug
Pleasantly pleasing
 
Sidecardoug's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Raincity, Warshington
Oddometer: 1,795
Setting the valves is about a ten minute job. Changing the fluids (engine, gearbox and final drive) is equally easy. Chop is right about using starting as a gauge of the bike's tune. My 2003 starts on the first or second kick. When it doesn't, it's time to check the valves. I don't really use the electric starter in part to check the engine.

Once broken in, these bikes can be and usually are flogged. Does stuff break? It can, but it can be easily repaired. Last summer one of the bikes at a gathering sucked a valve into the combustion chamber (This was an older bike) The importer brought a new piston and head to the gathering. Two guys repaired it in the car port in less than two hours. Would have been faster if they had a ring compressor rather than using fingers

Three wheels on dirt road is tremendous fun
__________________
The best lack all convictions, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.
Sidecardoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 01:19 PM   #11
bear
Guest
 
Oddometer: n/a
Thanks for the information and experiences with these machinces. I had on waiting a little longer to buy one, but last night my wife said I should get one in the next month or two now that I paid off my GS. Man I love my wife, anyway, I do my own maintance on my GS and I haven't had any serious problems and have 72,000 miles. I like the idea of not having computers and other technology that once broken can leave you high and dry untill you get to a dealer. I do flog my bikes and I wanted to make sure as much as possible that the Ural could handle it. On Urals website they are saying a new Patrol is around 9700 MSRP. Is that what I can expect to pay or will it be higher? Any suggestions on Factory Accessories? besides the maintance CD rom(excellent suggestion).

thanks
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 01:43 PM   #12
Chopperman
I am dead
 
Chopperman's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2001
Oddometer: 27,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear
Thanks for the information and experiences with these machinces. I had on waiting a little longer to buy one, but last night my wife said I should get one in the next month or two now that I paid off my GS. Man I love my wife, anyway, I do my own maintance on my GS and I haven't had any serious problems and have 72,000 miles. I like the idea of not having computers and other technology that once broken can leave you high and dry untill you get to a dealer. I do flog my bikes and I wanted to make sure as much as possible that the Ural could handle it. On Urals website they are saying a new Patrol is around 9700 MSRP. Is that what I can expect to pay or will it be higher? Any suggestions on Factory Accessories? besides the maintance CD rom(excellent suggestion).

thanks

There is a nice accessory page on the Ural.com site. Lotsa bling there. THe Patrol comes with most of what I would take. The one thing I would add is the nose luggage rack allowing stuff to be strapped onto the nose of the hack. Very handy

The price sounds about right. But added to that is shipping, tax, etc. So figure 10k or a hair over.
__________________
dead
Chopperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 02:14 PM   #13
mac62
One more thin gypsy thief
 
mac62's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Royston Vasey
Oddometer: 4,721
Chop, can the sidecar be removed? I love the look of these things, just not sure I'd want to live with the sidecar all the time.
__________________
"Oh yeah? Well how about I just kick your ass?"

-Mahatma Ghandi, 1946
mac62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 02:19 PM   #14
Chopperman
I am dead
 
Chopperman's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2001
Oddometer: 27,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac62
Chop, can the sidecar be removed? I love the look of these things, just not sure I'd want to live with the sidecar all the time.

Only on the telescopic fork models. The Leading link models are very unsafe without the hack. ANd if you have put many miles on the rig with the hack on, you will want to change tires before running solo.
__________________
dead
Chopperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 02:36 PM   #15
mac62
One more thin gypsy thief
 
mac62's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Royston Vasey
Oddometer: 4,721
Thanks for the info. These things are just so damned cool. Makes me wish I had all the money in the world and a garage big enough for all the bikes I want.
__________________
"Oh yeah? Well how about I just kick your ass?"

-Mahatma Ghandi, 1946
mac62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014