Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2010, 03:47 AM   #1
masterbrewer OP
TDMster

Oddometer: 2,494
SA Adv Riders: "The Big One II" Sunday 11th April

The lead up: The leadup to "The Big One I"

Scene Setting for "The Big One II": "As I depart at 8am from the Liberty Servo, 659 Magill Rd (corner Vine), I will leisurely cruise a smooth winding road over a summit and climb a steep, tight dirt track before engrossing myself in over 30 kms of glorious, fantastic, smooth, undulating, scenic, often loose surfaced, sometimes tight & twisty "rally roads" ......... before long I will think I am in the valley of eden after cruising past a mount of pleasant open roads in preparation for tackling Peggy Hill, Pine Hut & Mount Karina to relax with a smile on my face at Truro ...... (bakery, of course ) . Then northwesterly to the Port Henry Hotel ruins and north on the Skilly Road to Clare. The return route will be plotted "on the run" depending on time available"
Warning ! ! ! .... I know I can count on over 300 - 400kms of relentless, filthy dirt roads & tracks

This is not "An Organised Ride" as such, but merely an advice of where I have organised myself to ride, however anyone can follow me if they so choose but it will be at their own risks & responsibilties.

** If anyone does decide to follow me, they may find " The 2 man Cornerman System" usefull as explained ........

Originally Posted by Turborob
When the leader comes to a junction, he delegates the riders in second and third to stay at the corner so everyone can pass except Mike/sweep. Mike/sweep then gives them a nod/wave and the cornermen rejoins the ride. Happy days.

When being the cornerman, it's important to be in a postition where you are pointing in the direction everyone is supposed to go. E.g. coming up to a left hand street where the road continues straight, it's no good just pulling over and waiting, as the following rider won't know if to go straight or left. Try to be in a position where they can clearly see where to go (and out of the way if in a higher speed section).

plus kipo's "2 man cornerman" suggestion ........

Cornermen will be 2nd & 3rd riders behind the leader .....

If you see only one cornerman ................ stop, there should be 2.

Small tankers (< 150km range) ..... fuel is available at Birdwood (near cnr of Mt Torrens Rd), Truro & Caltex Clare & somewhere else on the way home.

A few clues into what can be expected by following me on the "The Big One II":

Those who enjoyed last years "The Big One I" will know it is not a "Caffe Latte & chin wag" type of affair

On the contrary, I ride a tight, free flowing and long "Rider's style Ride" ....... focussing on distance over varied terrain on public roads, leaving my mind & body tingling (or feeling very old ) for days afterwards.

For the benefit of newbies, when previously riding in a group for the first few time, I did not ride beyond my safe skills capabilities. If I was feeling pressured in that regard ......... I gave way to faster riders behind, with Bold, Clear Hand Signals then safely slowed down as I waved the faster riders through. The added bonus with this action was that I didn't have to be a cornerman ........ a win...win...situation for everyone

I am also respectful of homes I pass (some are very close), as I want to use these fabulous (secret) tracks again in the future.

To add interest to the ride reports, there will be a few "action photo shoot" opportunity sections along the route, so the camera buffs can get a 3 minute head start to choose & setup their own individual camera placement locations.

Bear in mind though, to park yourself &/or your bike in a safe location so as not to be collected by the following pack of "film stars". Also it is advisable not to go past the next intersection for obvious reasons.

masterbrewer screwed with this post 03-31-2010 at 01:22 PM
masterbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 04:15 AM   #2
senfiddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Jeez Kym, how am I ever going to find the time to mod the TA with you dangling this sort of carrot???

Hope to be there.

It's in the diary.
senfiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 03:42 PM   #3
charliew
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
I'll be there.

The wife is away, so I have no excuses.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:25 PM   #4
Gateshutter
Exiled

Oddometer: 2,722
Geez that many people riding on Pine hut road these days, we may need a set of lights.
Old 03-15-2010, 07:02 PM   #5
kano650
more cowbell

Oddometer: 215
i'm on call that weekend, i'll try and swap with a work mate as i'd rather not miss this one. sounds like it'll be a gooda
kano650 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 07:33 PM   #6
MikeF
Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 353
In the diary

Mike
MikeF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 08:23 PM   #7
NotHome
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
I'm in......and cannot wait. If Sol comes we might be able to use the dirt tracks thru Kersbrook etc on the way home and then clear the dust from our throats at the gully pub.
NotHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 05:02 PM   #8
Sol Erzenberg
Lost somewhere

Oddometer: 1,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotHome
I'm in......and cannot wait. If Sol comes we might be able to use the dirt tracks thru Kersbrook etc on the way home and then clear the dust from our throats at the gully pub.
G'day NotHome, I'm planning on being on this ride.

If it's ok with 'MB', I'm more than happy to lead back home from Pine Hutt Rd, through a series of 4WD, dirt roads & farm access tracks back to T.T.G. & a beer or 3 afterwards in the TTG Pub (or perhaps in the Fox & Firkin beer garden) sounds like an excellent plan..

Cheers, Sol..
2005 Honda XR400R.
1998 Yamaha DT200.
1981 Maico 490M.
1979 Honda CR125R Elsinore.
1978 Suzuki RM 100.
ARIEL MCC

Sol Erzenberg screwed with this post 03-16-2010 at 08:21 PM
Sol Erzenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 07:07 PM   #9
Peon
One peon to rule them all

Oddometer: 8
Morning!

I would love to come on this, i believe BigM is also very keen.. One little tinsy problem though.. Will there be any fuel stops mid ride? 530 still has standard fuel tank... Wont last the whole way! :)

Cheers!
Peon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 08:12 PM   #10
bwvtom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Cool2 Tiger Time

It's time the Tiger stretched it's paws and sharpened it's claws!

It's in the calendar

bwvtom
bwvtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 03:17 PM   #11
masterbrewer OP
TDMster

Oddometer: 2,494

Sounds like a few "eager beavers" chaffing at the bit here ......... fantastic , will be good to catch up. Myself I'm looking forward to riding some unknown tracks I've found on a map .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peon
I would love to come on this, i believe BigM is also very keen.. One little tinsy problem though.. Will there be any fuel stops mid ride? 530 still has standard fuel tank... Wont last the whole way! :)Cheers! Peon
I anticipate it should be less than 150kms between fuel stops. If that is too marginal, either pack a siphoning hose, I'm sure there'll be some tankers who will donate for a beer or let me know & I'll be happy to strap on a 5 litre can (unfortunately I'll be at the front though!) or I can fine tune the route to accommodate less distance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Erzenberg
G'day NotHome, I'm planning on being on this ride.
If it's ok with 'MB', I'm more than happy to lead back home from Pine Hutt Rd, through a series of 4WD, dirt roads & farm access tracks back to T.T.G. & a beer or 3 afterwards in the TTG Pub (or perhaps in the Fox & Firkin beer garden) sounds like an excellent plan.. Cheers, Sol..
As there won't be much cold beer at the Port Henry Arms, I'll be happy for you to lead some of the home stretch Sol, I'll be beer dehydrated by then & won't be thinking straight

Not sure if we'll have enough time to do Pine Hutt again on the return leg Sol, but we'll work out your starting point as we go, a beer at TTG Pub sounds good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF
In the diary Mike
May we assume there is a sweep? .........If so I'll try & find a fluro jacket (or if anyone else has one?) to help the new guys recognise you & get out of the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwvtom
It's time the Tiger stretched it's paws and sharpened it's claws!
Does a tiger drink beer?

Should be a good days ride.

masterbrewer screwed with this post 03-24-2010 at 10:51 PM
masterbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 05:07 PM   #12
Sol Erzenberg
Lost somewhere

Oddometer: 1,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterbrewer
As there won't be much cold beer at the Port Henry Arms, I'll be happy for you to lead some of the home stretch Sol, I'll be beer dehydrated by then & won't be thinking straight

Not sure if we'll have enough time to do Pine Hutt again on the return leg Sol, but we'll work out your starting point as we go, a beer at TTG Pub sounds good.
No worries at all MB, I just assumed that we may be coming that way home & I could lead the Group from Pine Hutt Rd. directly to the Gully Pub or across the road in the Fox & Firken Beer Garden for several cold clensing Ales..
Cheers, Sol..
2005 Honda XR400R.
1998 Yamaha DT200.
1981 Maico 490M.
1979 Honda CR125R Elsinore.
1978 Suzuki RM 100.
ARIEL MCC

Sol Erzenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 05:33 PM   #13
27rich
roughing it :)

Oddometer: 350
Have also penned this into the diary.

If any one is keen to do some rides over the next couple of weeks (trying to finish off my running in kms before The Big One II) pm me and I will let you know when I will be going out,
27rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 06:08 PM   #14
BigM
Hello :-)

Oddometer: 766
Thats my old mans birthday that day, so I will have to find out whats going on, but Pencil me in..Bike sure better be roadworthy by that point, or i'm going on a killing spree.
Leo Vince X3 Pipe, Scotts Steering Dampner, Woody's Rear Wheel + Cush Hub, Race Tech Gold Suspension, 18L Tank, Bark busters, Trail Tech SCMR16 HID Helmet Mount, Comfort Seat, Bark Busters, Stealth Sproket, Trail Tech X2, Michelin Desert

Cedo Nulli
BigM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 11:27 PM   #15
NotHome
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
MB I have a mate who may join us. He is on the lookout for a DR or DRZ as he currently has a V-Strom but from memory I reckon the V-Strom would cope with the ride anyway - well the sections I know anyway. What are peoples thoughts would the V-Strom cope if he does not have a DR or DRZ in time?
NotHome is offline   Reply With Quote