User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2010, 07:10 PM   #1
uliman OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Any Booster Plug Updates?

hi there was a thread here on the booster plug here a little while ago and i was getting ready to order one. Last night i checked out a thread on the ukgser site on the Accelerator and the Booster Plug, after the initial euphoria of more low end grunt and better gas mileage toward the end of the thread the last few posters were complaining that it really didn't do much and they also had a significant drop in mileage. So i was wondering if that was just a british anomalie(since they can't even drive on the right side of the road) or if you guys over here have the same issues. thanks uli
uliman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:15 PM   #2
gonzo2k
Adliberator

Oddometer: 288
Just installed Jens booster plug on my 04 GSA last week... bike seems to like it... I have a Staintune catless Y pipe with stock muffler mounted and the occasional backfires I previously experienced on downshifts have disappeared. Haven't had a chance to put it through its paces in regard to fuel consumption 'cause the weather here in the northeast (NJ) has been horrendous. Power band from 1500-3000 rpm seems to be smoother.
I ziptied the temp sensor to the top of the snorkel... psychologically it would be difficult to NOT think there is a noticeable improvement after shelling out $150 for an air temp mod...it seems to work... that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

BTW the big booster plug thread has been bumped near the top... it's just below this one... I posted here 'cause you looked lonely.

Smugmug referral code: b39gXpEl6klcs
gonzo2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 06:17 AM   #3
BCC
I know better

Oddometer: 7,504
I ordered last night, so I'll tell ya my opinion, in the Big Thread, after the install.

Cherish the memories------Ken OBSC
BCC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 07:34 AM   #4
Andrzej
aka Statking

Oddometer: 242
I have one installed on my bike. It really makes a difference in smoothness and power. I am testing the mileage issue. I want to be able to do a few tankfulls with it connected, get the averages and then do the same with the plug disconnected. I will post followup once done. Right now my comp says 37.9 MPG. (with paniers and driving pretty aggressively). I was getting closer to 39, 40 before, but again it was before winter, before they started mixing additives with fuel for winter.

What mileage are you guys getting with and/or without the plug?

A.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:19 AM   #5
jantarek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo2k
Just installed Jens booster plug on my 04 GSA last week... bike seems to like it... I have a Staintune catless Y pipe with stock muffler mounted and the occasional backfires I previously experienced on downshifts have disappeared. Haven't had a chance to put it through its paces in regard to fuel consumption 'cause the weather here in the northeast (NJ) has been horrendous. Power band from 1500-3000 rpm seems to be smoother.
I ziptied the temp sensor to the top of the snorkel... psychologically it would be difficult to NOT think there is a noticeable improvement after shelling out $150 for an air temp mod...it seems to work... that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

BTW the big booster plug thread has been bumped near the top... it's just below this one... I posted here 'cause you looked lonely.
I'm about to instal one on 2003 gsa, can you snap a pic of your set-up? it would help :-)
My SpotWala
jantarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 01:17 PM   #6
Texmoto1
Adventure Berzerker

Oddometer: 274
I installed mine about a month ago on my 2007 GSA. The bike defenitly runs smoother with the Booster Plug. It also seems to do more as tempuratures increase. When I first put it on the temps were in the mid 30's and while I noticed a very small difference in power delivery and smoothness, it wasnt untill the temps rose into the 70's and 80's that a more dramatic difference was noticed. You can defenitely tell the bike is running richer. Before, it always just felt too lean. On the Highway it felt like it would strain a bit when accelerating hard. Now the engine sounds and feels more relaxed and pulls cleanly without the hesitation I used to get. The best description I can give to it is that the engine feels happier, with a deeper sound, less hesitation and a lessening of the flat spot I had at 5-6 K. Unfortunately I still get the off and low throttle back fire but It is a little more melow now.

I also cant understand why, but the computer is saying I am getting better gas mileage. 2-3 MPG. Somehow I think its a false reading on the computer itself. I havnt really checked what my real mileage is for a tank with the BP, but on my next fillup I am going to figure it out.
The only downside I have noticed so far is that with a cold engine and the temps in the lower 30's F, it is a bit of a bitch to start. I have to actually use the throttle to get it to fire? Once the temps are in the 40's it fires right up normally with no throttle input needed.
I know from experience that you can do allot more with a power commander, but for a plug and play device that costs $150, the Booster plug seems to deliver what it promised. Next I am going to get a free'er flowing air filter and possibly a slip on to see how that works. I never wanted to mess with those before since I allways felt the bike ran way to lean, and didnt want to add to the problem.
Old 03-16-2010, 05:37 PM   #7
SpaceBiker
ZOOMing homeBODY

Oddometer: 53
Have also had my BoostrPlug on for about a month. Engine feels much better, acceleration feels stronger, smoother transitions and starting from cold much better, one short push of starter and it runs. Wish I had the BoosterPlug 15 month ago when I got the bike, it is so much nicer to ride.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:28 PM   #8
JasonF
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Be sure to use this in conjuntion with a new set of muffler bearings for best performance
JasonF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 08:37 PM   #9
gonzo2k
Adliberator

Oddometer: 288
Quote:
I'm about to instal one on 2003 gsa, can you snap a pic of your set-up? it would help :-)
A picture really isn't necessary... just run the lead along the left side of the frame under the tank and zip tie the sensor to the snorkel so it's positioned to monitor the same air temp that enters the snorkel... I used 2 zip ties about 3" apart... I have it so the tip of the 2" sensor protrudes forward of the intake flange by about 1/4"... easy!

Smugmug referral code: b39gXpEl6klcs
gonzo2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 06:51 PM   #10
Texmoto1
Adventure Berzerker

Oddometer: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF
Be sure to use this in conjuntion with a new set of muffler bearings for best performance
I really thought the same thing when I first started looking into it, and figured "what the hell, maybe I will get ripped off" but there are so many people saying it made a difference. And I am not an idiot when it comes to mechanics. I built up modified and maintained my own race bikes in Road Racing. Restored cars from the ground up and Built up and raced my own Off Road Race Bike in the Baja 1000. I am not saying I am an Uber Mechanic or anything but I do have a certain amount of time I have spent in and around such things. I am happy with it as a cheaper alternative to the whole Power Commander type unit.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:56 PM   #11
woodsman149
not n00b

Oddometer: 127
I have mine fitted to a F650 Dakar and after 6 weeks of use I can certainly testify to a slight power increase and certainly smooths things out a fair bit. What I'm a little disappointed about is the effect on fuel mileage. Prior to install I used to get 330km per tank consistently (from full to low fuel light), I'm now down to 285 - 290km. Maybe not a big deal but it equates to about a 12 - 13% reduction in fuel mileage versus Jens claim that the Boosterplug should only reduce mileage by about 6%.

I guess different bikes will give different results and I'm still fairly happy with the result but wish the fuel mileage penalty was half of what it has worked out to be.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:56 AM   #12
AndyCap
Mineral Oil Anyone?

Oddometer: 1,374
OK - perhaps a noob question, but here goes. What is the difference between putting the power booster on that tricks the system to thinking it is cooler than it is, and just leaving the choke on a bit? Either way you are running richer - no?
AndyCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 01:47 PM   #13
BMWRich
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyCap
OK - perhaps a noob question, but here goes. What is the difference between putting the power booster on that tricks the system to thinking it is cooler than it is, and just leaving the choke on a bit? Either way you are running richer - no?

Dude...we're talkin' fuelly injectors here...not carb'dur-ators...
That so called *choke* is just an "idle enhancement"..making the bike idle higher,almost like twistin' the throttle open a *titch* when hard startin' on a cold day and making it run faster to allow a quicker warmup.

Now...the injector will stay open longer cuz the 'puter thinks it's "cooler/colder" outside...thus..more fuel into the combustion chamber..hense "lower fuel mileage" for those who thought you were gonna get better mileage...

............MORE POWER=MORE FUEL.............
Old 04-13-2010, 03:46 PM   #14
AndyCap
Mineral Oil Anyone?

Oddometer: 1,374
Yeah I know it is injected, and the "choke" is not a conventional choke.

The higher RPM due to the choke being on sounds a lot like what I hear about the booster. The choke is set partially on so the engine runs at a higher RPM. With a booster, the engine runs at a higher RPM, as if it is getting more fuel.

Not sure what the difference is. That is why I am asking.
AndyCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 04:01 PM   #15
Sam Buca
a.k.a. Daniel

Oddometer: 2,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyCap
Yeah I know it is injected, and the "choke" is not a conventional choke.

The higher RPM due to the choke being on sounds a lot like what I hear about the booster. The choke is set partially on so the engine runs at a higher RPM. With a booster, the engine runs at a higher RPM, as if it is getting more fuel.

Not sure what the difference is. That is why I am asking.

I am not sure whether you are trying to take the mickey out of us, but here goes:

The idle enhancement lever ("choke") does not enhance the idle through the full throttle span. It merely mechanically opens the throttle a little to inrease idling. Once you open the throttle further, the "choke" does nothing.

The booster plug does it through the whole throttle range so that the air/fuel mixture is at its optimal point, rather than starved as it leaves the factory.

Sam Buca is offline   Reply With Quote