User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2010, 07:19 AM   #16
nobrakes OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,355
That about covers, IT400.

The conditions were tough, but even given what I know now, I would do it again in a heartbeat. Only this time, I would do better because I would be smarter about line selection and more careful about getting hung up in one of those mud bogs.
nobrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 08:44 AM   #17
Tbone
off-ramp slayer

Oddometer: 4,222
I think you did great picking lines, it just only takes a mistake or two to eat up your time/energy.

That second lap must have been brutal once that mud got turned up and the ruts got deeper...
Tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:10 AM   #18
DC950
Microadventurer

Oddometer: 2,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobrakes
That about covers, IT400.

The conditions were tough, but even given what I know now, I would do it again in a heartbeat. Only this time, I would do better because I would be smarter about line selection and more careful about getting hung up in one of those mud bogs.
Amen to that brother! Testify for us!

If you haven't done it, get Shane Watt's latest video. It's all about mud, ruts, and logs. It's great and actually entertaining.

Rode Saturday for the first time since Thanksgiving. It was a muddy mess at a hilly place where I'd ridden only once, 3 years ago. I practiced the stuff I saw in the video and was amazed at how well I rode. I repeatedly rode right around or across crap that would have had me on my face or dog paddling through before. Once you accept the fact you need a solid surface no wider than the width of your hand to ride on, you really can take lines you wouldn't even have tried before. Figuring out the front really should be out of the rut if the rear falls in was like enlightenment from Buddha himself. I learned so much that I'm taking his class next month.

One more thing (while I'm on the soap box in Nobrakes' thread no less ). It's great to dream about Dakar and the Atacama and Sahara deserts. It's even better to actually race something. If you have anything between a TTR90 and a RxxGS, you can get out there and ride Hare Scrambles and Enduros. Put down that ice cream cone and go do it!

DC950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 10:29 AM   #19
Tbone
off-ramp slayer

Oddometer: 4,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC950
I learned so much that I'm taking his class next month.

we expect a full report...
Tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 08:14 PM   #20
nobrakes OP
Beastly Adventurer

Excellent, thanks, DC! I just ordered Wattsy's new DVD, didn't even know he had a new one out or I would have already got it. Thanks for the tip.

And I agree on the bike, you don't need the latest or greatest to have fun or even do well in these races. I see all kinds of bikes out there. One guy this past race was on a 1979 IT400 and I think he did better than me, and was probably 15 years older than me, and I'm no spring chicken at soon to be 44 in about a month. And I really haven't been riding all that long, personally I think racing is one of the best ways to gain a whole lot of experience packed into a short amount of time. I've only done a handful of these races, but after each one, I can feel my confidence increase, not to mention actual skills. In a race, you're forced to make quick decisions - pick a line and go. I've found that I'll do things in a race without even thinking about it and it will turn out great, while if just trail riding I would tend to over analyze and maybe not even try some particular obstacle. But I've done things in races that have really surprised me - didn't think I could do that, but I did. So it's a great way to gain experience and practice technique in situations and terrain that you may not normally encounter when riding more casually, and build confidence that you can overcome some of these harder obstacles if you just try them. I've certainly learned to trust my bike a lot more to do the right thing, and it usually does, within reason.

So if anyone is on the fence about doing a local hare scramble or other format, grab whatever bike you have and sign up. Just ride within your means with the goal of just finishing and you will have a great time and not be disappointed - guaranteed!
Old 03-19-2010, 03:06 AM   #21
IT 400
Junk Collector

Oddometer: 1,570
Thumb

I've certainly learned to trust my bike a lot more to do the right thing, and it usually does, within reason.

So if anyone is on the fence about doing a local hare scramble or other format, grab whatever bike you have and sign up. Just ride within your means with the goal of just finishing and you will have a great time and not be disappointed - guaranteed! [/quote]

Now if you can just train it to remain standing up while you crawl around on the ground looking for your lost heart valve

...just ridin' a motorcycle that you like, that does not mean you neccessarily like the way it rides and finishing...I've enjoyed watching your progress over the last year or so, and you are an encouragement to myself and I'm sure others. It's clear that you enjoy riding "YOUR" motorcycle in any conditions...see ya' at the "Ranch"

IT 400 screwed with this post 03-19-2010 at 08:09 AM
IT 400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 03:12 AM   #22
wparkinson
Gear Whore

Oddometer: 2,070
Quote:
OK, well, here's the video. This is the start and the entire first lap, uncut, and unedited. I could have edited it and made myself look better, but I think honesty is the best policy. And just remember, as you watch this, even though it doesn't look like it would, my effort was good enough for a trophy in this mud-fest, believe it or not. there were a lot better riders than I that were hung up or otherwise detained in the slick greasy clay or the thick soupy mud bogs. I got hung up several times myself, but somehow still managed to place.

I was actually doing pretty good up until near the end of the first lap where I got stuck. My tactic was to hold back a little and let someone else try it first. And if they made it through, I would take the same line they did. Well that did not work on the one that got me on lap 1. A fella just in front of me made it through just fine, but somehow my tire could not find the bottom and I spent the next several excruciating minutes extracting my bike from thick tar mud as everyone I had just passed went back by me. That was hard to take, I so wanted out of that mud! After that, I slowed way down due to being so physically spent afterwards, and then started making silly mistakes and tip-overs, which led to even more exhaustion. It was a vicious cycle. Anyway, hope you enjoy it. It's not pretty, but it is real.

Also, I hope to have a highlight vid of lap 2 coming soon. In this one, you will see the mud bog from hell. I would still be in it if it weren't for one fine human being who helped me out. Turns out he's a guy on ThumperTalk that I'd conversed with over there, but had never met. I didn't even know it was him until he posted his helmet cam and saw his view of being stuck in the same mud pit and saw myself in his vid. How cool is that? What a way to meet in meatspace, as they say. Anyway, that will be on video number 2, coming in a few days.

http://www.vimeo.com/10225968

&nbsp
&nbsp
2010 NCHSA Devil's Ridge Hare Scramble from bsd512 on Vimeo.
Lap 1 of the afternoon race of the 2010 NCHSA Season's Opener: Devil's Ridge Hare Scramble. Due to a lot of rain the preceding weeks up until a day or two before the race, conditions were tough. I was doing pretty good up until I got stuck late on the first lap and it took me a while to get out. After that, I was spent and that caused me to go slower and take a few more unnecessary tip overs mainly due to the exertion, ruts, and slick conditions. Lap two wasn't any better as I nearly went over the bars from a hidden rock in a gully, got hung up for about 10 minutes in a mud bog, and worked to near exhaustion to get unstuck. But I persevered and ended up actually getting a trophy for the efforts.
In this video you can see him comming up the hill on the left... I watched his vid and saw myself on the hill on the left. If you watch his vid and then watch mine you can see where they meet.

wparkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 04:23 PM   #23
nobrakes OP
Beastly Adventurer

Man, that looks like total chaos. I'd hate to be mixed up in that!

Thanks for the vid, WP! The reason I fell over there was that it looked it would have been better to squirt off to the right out of the main line rut, but when I tried to do that, I couldn't get my front wheel out of the rut and I went down like a doofus. I should have just held steady and gone with the flow. That's experience for next time. Experience is the thing you get, after you needed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wparkinson
In this video you can see him comming up the hill on the left... I watched his vid and saw myself on the hill on the left. If you watch his vid and then watch mine you can see where they meet.

Old 03-19-2010, 05:00 PM   #24
IT 400
Junk Collector

Oddometer: 1,570
Cool2 IT/Cadillac

Did you see my "New Hero" Cadillac'n up da hill on that ragged ol' IT
In the event I perform miserably...always know it is not the motorcycles fault
IT 400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 06:13 PM   #25
nobrakes OP
Beastly Adventurer

I did. I actually saw him several times during the race. In fact, on lap 2, just as I was getting stuck in the Mud-Bog-From-Hell, he was just getting through it out the other side. Then I was there for the next 15 minutes trying to work my way free, not sure I saw him again after that, though. I hear he just made the cut-off to do a 3rd lap, and I just missed it. I don't know how long he was in it before I got there. That sky blue bike was pretty distinctive, though, couldn't miss it.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:17 PM   #26
Chadd
I live in the wrong place

Oddometer: 467
How is that second lap video coming?

Quote:

Also, I hope to have a highlight vid of lap 2 coming soon. In this one, you will see the mud bog from hell. I would still be in it if it weren't for one fine human being who helped me out. Turns out he's a guy on ThumperTalk that I'd conversed with over there, but had never met. I didn't even know it was him until he posted his helmet cam and saw his view of being stuck in the same mud pit and saw myself in his vid. How cool is that? What a way to meet in meatspace, as they say. Anyway, that will be on video number 2, coming in a few days.
03 WR250F
95 GasGas JT25
Chadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 04:26 AM   #27
nobrakes OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadd
How is that second lap video coming?
It was coming along but my computer crashed and now won't boot. I hope to get everything back up and operational within a few days. I've got backups so as soon as I can get the hardware repaired or replaced, I should be back at it.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:34 AM   #28
Chadd
I live in the wrong place

Oddometer: 467
Damn computers, who needs em? Oh wait no forums without a PC.

Looking forward to seeing lap 2.

Quote:
It was coming along but my computer crashed and now won't boot. I hope to get everything back up and operational within a few days. I've got backups so as soon as I can get the hardware repaired or replaced, I should be back at it.
03 WR250F
95 GasGas JT25
Chadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 05:39 PM   #29
nobrakes OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadd
Damn computers, who needs em? Oh wait no forums without a PC.

Looking forward to seeing lap 2.

Here we go, sorry for the technical difficulties. My old system is dead, had to do a full replacement, restore from backups, reload applications, the whole works. I think some mud must have fell out of the video buffers and clogged up the hard drive. At any rate, I finally have it edited for length and uploaded. Here is lap 2.

I was basically spent at this point and was just in survival mode, trying not to get stuck or crash. As you will see, even that modest plan didn't work out too well.

http://www.vimeo.com/10469574

2010 NCHSA Devil's Ridge Lap 2 from bsd512 on Vimeo.

Lap 2 of the afternoon race of the 2010 NCHSA Season's Opener: Devil's Ridge Hare Scramble. I was pretty much spent during this lap, basically was in survival mode just trying not to get stuck or crash. Didn't work out too well, huh? lol

Old 03-26-2010, 07:29 PM   #30
sparrow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,116
BRUTAL!!!!! Good on you that you made it thru 2 laps.
sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote