Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2010, 09:51 AM   #136
Dirsuper OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Funny how many people you talk to when you travel on a bike. Every time we stopped for gas we got into a bs session with someone.....and every time my 800's rims came up (usually my buddy brought it up, he is as pissed as I am). Regardless, if anyone can, it is a great time to travel Cali. After all the rain everything is in bloom and looks amazing. I almost ran off 198 about ten times....amazing stuff to see! Of course Highway 1 was foggy, but it was still pretty cool. The northern base of the Grapevine is awesome as well.
Dirsuper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:24 PM   #137
Dirsuper OP
Adventurer

Hilarious! Dealership just called to tell me the plates are in and if I want they will "install them." Again, I have ZERO gripes with my dealership (as of right now), I just thought it was funny since I had just been in the garage, beer in hand, smoke coming out of my ears while looking at that bike! Life really is hilarious! BTW, a tip I picked up to remove all the dead bugs off my Harley after the weekend ride - Pledge. It is amazing. I used it on the BMW as well....great stuff, and after the first treatment stuff does not stick as easily.
Old 03-26-2010, 01:16 PM   #138
woody's wheel works
Built to Last

Oddometer: 3,298
dirsuper's wheels are ready

dirsuper..your new wheels are ready and about to be shipped...

damn they are pretty

i've got half dozen customers drooling over em,,,had to put in plastic bags,,my gopher cried ''uncle'',,he got tired of mopping up the floor

woody
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 04:58 AM   #139
boxerr80

Oddometer: n/a
F 800 GS Rims

Every bike I have owned had a ding in the rim when I sell it but was not major enough to require replacement. The worst ding happen in town I was following a car and this big square edge hole appeared OUCH.
My question is, Iam going to purchase a smaller diameter rim and fit a road type tyre like a Mitchelin Ankee 110 X 90 x 19 and remove one disc from the 21 ich rim and fit to the 19 " rim this will enable me to swap wheels in a few minutes and save the TKC 80 foir the dirt and enjoy the smoothness and extra grip of the 19 " on the tar.

Would you come down to a 19 " or go the super moto thing and fit a fat 17 " the idea with the 19 is I have the best of both worlds I could do dirt roads without much worry. The fat 17 would look great and would be the best on a good road but no good on the dirt roads . Has anybody done a similar thing or have and thoughts on the plan.

Thanks

Rob
Old 03-29-2010, 06:44 AM   #140
woody's wheel works
Built to Last

Oddometer: 3,298
you won't regret goin to 19/17

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxerr80
Every bike I have owned had a ding in the rim when I sell it but was not major enough to require replacement. The worst ding happen in town I was following a car and this big square edge hole appeared OUCH.
My question is, Iam going to purchase a smaller diameter rim and fit a road type tyre like a Mitchelin Ankee 110 X 90 x 19 and remove one disc from the 21 ich rim and fit to the 19 " rim this will enable me to swap wheels in a few minutes and save the TKC 80 foir the dirt and enjoy the smoothness and extra grip of the 19 " on the tar.

Would you come down to a 19 " or go the super moto thing and fit a fat 17 " the idea with the 19 is I have the best of both worlds I could do dirt roads without much worry. The fat 17 would look great and would be the best on a good road but no good on the dirt roads . Has anybody done a similar thing or have and thoughts on the plan.

Thanks

Rob
there are way more happy chappies out there with the 19/17 combo than the 17/17....the 2.5x19/4.25x17 rim combo for starters rides over everything on the road much nicer,,,,handles incredibly well and ya have the largest selection of dual sports tires foe practically any thing you want on a scale from more road oriented to more dirt oriented use.

IMHO the 17/17 combo although more flickable provides a zanier ,Kanyo Krazee experience ,,, it feels a bit more intense like dancing on the razor's edge,,,fun and thrills for some ,,it just get's tiring in the long run....many report the need for a steering dampener to keep things manageable over 100

w
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 01:26 PM   #141
Dirsuper OP
Adventurer

Got the rims back last night. Can't thank Woody's enough, definitely a class act! Did not charge me for removing, remounting, and balancing tires. Also, I asked them to ship back the old (well, 'new'...original) rims and told them I would pay whatever I had to....they shipped them back and did not charge me an extra penny. Of course, most important, the rims look like they are bullet proof. I am certainly no rim expert, but comparing them with others I've seen, they look quite capable.

As soon as I get home from work I am taking that bike out and running the shit out of it - OFF THE ROAD!
Old 04-02-2010, 12:20 AM   #142
craftycoder
Motobrain PDU

Oddometer: 2,173
excellent. please remind us of the rim sizes you choose. have fun on your new bike. it is a ton of fun!
craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 07:00 PM   #143
Dirsuper OP
Adventurer

I got the 1.85x21 front and 4.25x17 rear.

So, the night after I received/installed the new rims I took it out and.....let's just say, hit it a bit hard. Really tried to bend them new rims.....ZERO issues. However, I did hit some mud (kinda rare in SoCal) in a turn and drop the bike. No big deal, jacked up my shoulder a bit, a little cracked plastic (nothing fatal) and some nice Battle Scars on the crash bars (thank god I had those!), windshield, and handguards. Totally my fault, the kind of thing I expect to happen with this type of bike. Oh, I also bent one of the tree bolts, so one side of the bars sits about 1/4" off from the other side.....whatever.

Got my BMW comfort seat today (actually ran into YETIGS while picking it up). Only had time to do a quick test, but it is a HUGE improvement so far.

So, in summary, either I got part of a bad batch, or the stock rims are junk. You make the call, just have it in the back of your mind as soon as the pavement ends......or gets jacked up with potholes and such.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:11 PM   #144
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirsuper
I got the 1.85x21 front and 4.25x17 rear.

So, the night after I received/installed the new rims I took it out and.....let's just say, hit it a bit hard. Really tried to bend them new rims.....ZERO issues. However, I did hit some mud (kinda rare in SoCal) in a turn and drop the bike. No big deal, jacked up my shoulder a bit, a little cracked plastic (nothing fatal) and some nice Battle Scars on the crash bars (thank god I had those!), windshield, and handguards. Totally my fault, the kind of thing I expect to happen with this type of bike. Oh, I also bent one of the tree bolts, so one side of the bars sits about 1/4" off from the other side.....whatever.

Got my BMW comfort seat today (actually ran into YETIGS while picking it up). Only had time to do a quick test, but it is a HUGE improvement so far.

So, in summary, either I got part of a bad batch, or the stock rims are junk. You make the call, just have it in the back of your mind as soon as the pavement ends......or gets jacked up with potholes and such.
I swear I wasn't gonna out ya!! You could've kept the biff a secret.

Good to meet you in person. I pulled up at the dealership to drop off my rear wheel for the bearing issue and see this guy strapping an 800GS seat to a Harley and said to myself, "Self, that's gotta be Dirsuper." And sho 'nuff it was!
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 07:43 PM   #145
guzzimike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,373
What does that Comfort Seat look like?
I have only heard of the Rally, Standard and Low.
Rally's too high
Standard..............well, say no more.
Low's too cramped.
Pics please?
Sorry for the thread hijack

East is East & West is West 2008
http://www.advrider.com/forums/ad.php?t=400050
A Long Weekend 2009
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=523893
All the Way to Nowhere & Back Again. 2010
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=619683

Save 5 bucks on your Smugmug, use my discount code
hQo9Atub1N9jg

guzzimike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 07:51 PM   #146
Dirsuper OP
Adventurer

No worries Yeti, I will never claim to be a good rider and I am not embarrassed about dropping it. It was a bit difficult to explain to the wife....she was mumbling something about me killing myself or something....whatever, she knew what she was marrying!
Old 04-06-2010, 07:57 PM   #147
Dirsuper OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzimike
What does that Comfort Seat look like?
I have only heard of the Rally, Standard and Low.
Rally's too high
Standard..............well, say no more.
Low's too cramped.
Pics please?
Sorry for the thread hijack
Wife and kid flew to New York this morning with camera (that sounds odd, but you know what I mean). I did just receive my $50 water-proof/shock-proof/super cool/carabiner (no shit) Walmart camera I bought just to carry on the bike. Give me a day or so to screw around at work and figure out how to use that thing and I will get pics up.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:35 PM   #148
dukedar
60 easy payments!

Oddometer: 340
Quote:
Wife and kid flew to New York this morning with camera (that sounds odd, but you know what I mean). I did just receive my $50 water-proof/shock-proof/super cool/carabiner (no shit) Walmart camera I bought just to carry on the bike. Give me a day or so to screw around at work and figure out how to use that thing and I will get pics up.
Great, more hi-jack, something like this:
Old 04-06-2010, 08:51 PM   #149
Apostolos
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
Quote:
No big deal, jacked up my shoulder a bit, a little cracked plastic (nothing fatal) and some nice Battle Scars on the crash bars (thank god I had those!), windshield, and handguards.
What crash bars did you have installed that allowed the plastic to get cracked, assuming you're talking about the plastic side fairing. Thanks.

God Bless,
David
Apostolos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:39 PM   #150
]I)Money
D NOT I

Oddometer: 3,431
Quote:

Oh, I also bent one of the tree bolts, so one side of the bars sits about 1/4" off from the other side.....whatever.

Are you sure? with the anti-vibe mounts, it is really, really easy for the bars to displace, and it looks like those bolts are bent. a good yank with the wheel held between your legs usually straightens it right out.

Or, so I've heard, because, of course, I never drop mine...

"Another road remains, but it provides no more. It can only take us away"
]I)Money is offline   Reply With Quote