Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2012, 08:54 AM   #181
grndzr0
its Ground Zero

Oddometer: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC View Post
I will probably buy a set of woodys' in the next six months, just to have two sets (woodys' will wear the knobblies, stock ones will wear sports touring tyres) so I can commute with better road tyres and then have grip for playing in the dirt at the weekend. I do not doubt Woodys' are considerably stronger and a better choice in the dirt.

That all said, I have treated F800GS stock wheels much, much more harshly than 95% of riders ever will and mine are still fine after 50K miles.

Mine have had this sort of thing done to them on numerous occasions.

They have also been jumped on to rocks, been hit by a car, etc. Aside from a few scuffs from tyre changes, they are pretty much as new.
I agree, I am always thinking that "Im sure that hit bent my wheel..." But it never has. I have been on some rocky, rocky crap, slammed into some pretty harsh ledges that pretty much stop the bike dead in its tracks, hit large rocks at speed, and I have never bent a rim. However, my wife bent one on her 650 twin on a small 3 in ledge one day, so yea...

But anyway, I have seen plenty of bent F8 rims in person, but I havnt bent mine, and I have sure tried hard too!!

Ryan
Old 08-07-2012, 06:01 PM   #182
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,463
Bottom your suspension, you're much more likely to bend a rim. And stockers are definitely weaker than Woody's setups. I haven't bent his yet and I've been pretty harsh with them.
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:46 PM   #183
Blueshark
Coastal Castaway

Oddometer: 160
Wheel Insurance

Anyone ever heard of these guys? If so, what's your experience?

http://www.sonsio.com/shieldtformotorcycles.html
Blueshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:21 PM   #184
grndzr0
its Ground Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigarpawed View Post
Anyone ever heard of these guys? If so, what's your experience?

http://www.sonsio.com/shieldtformotorcycles.html
I have RPM 1 tire and wheel insurance. We bought it with the bikes, It was 500 ish a bike and is good for 5 years. I have used it on a nail in a K60 so far. They "dont ever repair moto tires" and if the authorized shop you deal with has some nice service guys, they might loose the old tire. Also, You have to have 3/32nds of an in of tread left, lol. They didn't believe the shop the first 3 times they measured the tread depth at 1/2 in!!

My problem was I have a K60 scouts, and they are not sold many places, especially in MT, im pretty sure nobody in the state sells them. The repair shop didn't want to order one in, so essentially I ordered the tire, payed for the mounting, and then got reimbursed for the whole thing from RPM 1.

I am about to find out what they do for wheels, as my wife just bent her f650twin wheel (a few months ago, lol). So we will see if they do a repair or replace on that. If they replace, I may have a slightly used/repaired wheel for sale!!

Ryan
Old 08-09-2012, 02:00 AM   #185
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayner View Post
Bottom your suspension, you're much more likely to bend a rim. And stockers are definitely weaker than Woody's setups. I haven't bent his yet and I've been pretty harsh with them.
With my mechanically unsympathetic riding style, OE suspension and 110KG of me (in riding kit) crashing down on it, my suspension has bottomed out more than once,

Old 08-10-2012, 09:27 AM   #186
grndzr0
its Ground Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC View Post
With my mechanically unsympathetic riding style, OE suspension and 110KG of me (in riding kit) crashing down on it, my suspension has bottomed out more than once,

+1

Still no bent rims
Old 08-13-2012, 10:17 PM   #187
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,463
Well, I do have shit luck with everything else in life....
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:12 PM   #188
casperghst42
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi Tinkerer View Post
I read the same thing about the rims on the G650 xchallenge. Bhoer wheels again. (or however you spell it)
What ballocks. I never managed to bend my rims riding on pretty rough rocky terrain. A made sure I had the right pressure. 15psi for rocky stuff, down to 8psi for mud. No worries. I did manage to put the odd small dent in it. But nothing like what is shown here. 45kg lighter than my f800 though. But I rode it where I don't plan to ride the 800.

You want a grunty big adventure bike and wheels that do not weigh too much. Then that's what you get. As my mate with the KTM 950 tells me, you aint gonna run a 200kg bike fast on rocky tracks without bending the rims a bit. It's just part of it.

It seems that more and more people just won't take personal responsibility. They buy something and cry to the manufacturer when it does not meet their unrealistic expectations. The damage shown here is clearly due to hitting something hard and sharp. Maybe a cast iron rim would handle it. Then you would be complaining about the gyro effect of the overly heavy rims.

Well, what do I know. Maybe you do have rims from a bad batch. BMW should be able to tell you that.
Good luck.

One last thing, I do NOT mean to offend anyone. And apologize for anyone who has taken offense by my words.

have a nice day.

p.s. I have not ridden the F800 on anything rougher than a gravel road as yet. Once I have some good tyres on it I'll try some rougher tracks. Maybe then I'll bend a rim and eat my own words for supper. :-)
I took my fully loaded F8 (panniers and camping stuff) over a mountain pass last week in Bulgaria (I can provide the track if asked - parts of it is "no go" area - but awesome ride), where most of it was rocks (hand size and up), and not a single dent (in the rims).

I was nervous afterwards, but I do not see any reason to say differently as you do. For me it does not look like the rims are made out of butter.

Casper
casperghst42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:20 PM   #189
woody's wheel works
Built to Last

Oddometer: 3,320
bent rims ,,what years,,,

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndzr0 View Post
+1

Still no bent rims
FYI,,the bad Behr rims on KTM 640/950/990 2.15x21 were circa '06-10 late 2011,,that's when i noticed the rim was made out of a stiffer alloy,,why because they were waaay harder to straighten and had higher pitched sound when tapped with a wrench

NOW the F800GS sported the same bad rims from the very beginning waht circa '08???
just wondering what year bikes all of you that have not experienced bent rims on,,,,???could it be that the beefier rims are also finding their way to F800gS front wheels???

holler
woody
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W
woody's wheel works is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:05 PM   #190
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody's wheel works View Post
FYI,,the bad Behr rims on KTM 640/950/990 2.15x21 were circa '06-10 late 2011,,that's when i noticed the rim was made out of a stiffer alloy,,why because they were waaay harder to straighten and had higher pitched sound when tapped with a wrench

NOW the F800GS sported the same bad rims from the very beginning waht circa '08???
just wondering what year bikes all of you that have not experienced bent rims on,,,,???could it be that the beefier rims are also finding their way to F800gS front wheels???

holler
woody
I tried to bend my front rim (2009 8GS)....many times.... but have been unsuccessful. The rear..... well.... that one is made by your team ( 18 tubeless with excel), and I see no bend rear in that ones forecast.

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:20 PM   #191
grndzr0
its Ground Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody's wheel works View Post

holler
woody
I have a 2010, Run 25 lbs off road, I have had both the TKC and K60 fronts, bottom out the front fairly frequently, Probably 40 times just yesterday and today (Mixture of Rocks and ledges on slow stuff, and fast Potholes on un-ish-maintained dirt road)

By the way thanks for the speedy service on my wheel bearings last week!!! Ran great!!

Ryan
Old 08-26-2012, 10:47 AM   #192
donnh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
Another Bent F800GS Rim

Here's another:

But I must say this is after 25,000 miles of abuse before I finally hit a rock just right to bend the rim.

Here is approximately where it happened

As you can see it was a pretty rocky area of Idaho, I was going too fast and missed a big rock in the shadows and WHAM I knew right away I must have caused some damage. I had 26psi on my Heidenau front tire and had my steering stabilizer on high. I'm not really faulting the rim, I'm surprised I didn't end up with a flat.

I already e-mailed Woody's and will look into an Excel rim.

donnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:48 AM   #193
Moptop
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Might I suggest that the bent rims are more a consequence of poor suspension for offroad use on the BMW f800 than bad rims.( or a combination of both) I just did the APC rally in Australia. 14 days 7400 km. covering mountains to dessert. I have upgraded my suspension and by the time we finished had a small dent in the front rim. I started talking to another f800 rider just after the mountain section with stock suspension( we were running the same tyres and same psi) and his front rim looked like it was attacked with a sledge hammer. I was in from off him so is was not that he was riding harder than me. You be the judge.
Moptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:47 PM   #194
montanaman
Traveler

Oddometer: 171
Wheel insurance..

I did get the wheel and tire insurance ( I think its "Safe-co" or some such) when I bought my 800GS 2 years ago. I know that it is a typical up-sell item when you sit with the finance guy but I specifically asked if this coverage was for off-road riding. He said it was so I got it. ( like 250 bucks) . So I bent a front rim and even tho the tire held air ( what we all have tubes for ) I got the wheel replaced under warranty. Now ... that was not without a fight with the insurance people as they claimed since it held air the tire was fine. I fired off a few choice lines about tubed tires and it was replaced at no cost. The BMW shop in AZ was happy because they got to replace a 900 hundred dollar wheel assembly and got credit for the repair.
Moral of the story.... when you ride anything in adverse conditions things are going to break and bend. I am sure the wheels are not as good as Excel and others. The do seem soft and I could hear it happen as I hit a buried rock. I am glad I bought the wheel tire insurance and now buy it on my other bikes. I look forward to the process with the finance guy so I can grind them down. I've had a tire replaced and mounted and a rim replaced and mounted in 2 years. I am way ahead..
Old 09-10-2012, 09:39 PM   #195
guzzimike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moptop View Post
Might I suggest that the bent rims are more a consequence of poor suspension for offroad use on the BMW f800 than bad rims.( or a combination of both) I just did the APC rally in Australia. 14 days 7400 km. covering mountains to dessert. I have upgraded my suspension and by the time we finished had a small dent in the front rim. I started talking to another f800 rider just after the mountain section with stock suspension( we were running the same tyres and same psi) and his front rim looked like it was attacked with a sledge hammer. I was in from off him so is was not that he was riding harder than me. You be the judge.
That's my call on it as well, the stock suspension bottoms out easily, then something has to give, and it's the rim.
The rims are soft, but it's not the whole reason for bent rims.
I now have Ohlins front and rear, and excel rims.

East is East & West is West 2008
http://www.advrider.com/forums/ad.php?t=400050
A Long Weekend 2009
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=523893
All the Way to Nowhere & Back Again. 2010
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=619683

Save 5 bucks on your Smugmug, use my discount code
hQo9Atub1N9jg

guzzimike is offline   Reply With Quote