ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-16-2010, 09:56 PM   #31
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer
 
SgtDuster's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Oddometer: 3,040
1. You tried to link the pictures directly from your e-mail account. It doesn't work that way. Download them to your PC and then use Imageshack.us or whatever to upload them to the "Net". You'll now have a proper URL to post in here.

2. I second the low pressure tire issue. Can you look at your tire right now and tell us how much psi your tires have? I'm not saying that I'm sure they are under inflated but it's something I'd investigate if I was you.
SgtDuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 10:07 PM   #32
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown
 
YetiGS's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: San Diego
Oddometer: 7,322
I rode those same trails on Sunday. I would not call them benign. For the most part they were, but here were also a lot of deep ruts and rocks due to the recent rains.

Did your forks bottom at all? When I first got m 800, the shocks would bottom if I sneezed funny. They always bottomed over ruts, transferring the whole hit to the rim. I got heavier duty springs and problem solved.

I'm going to shoot you a PM. Give me a call tomorrow and we'll chat.
__________________
-Scott-
Semper Fi
'04 BMW R1150GSA, '04 KTM 625 SXC
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 06:29 AM   #33
craftycoder
Motobrain PDU
 
craftycoder's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Atlanta
Oddometer: 2,223
I have a live account and the photos still don't work. They are in your email box so only someone with your hotmail password can view them. They need to be posted to a normal webserver or image hosting site.

Picasa web albums are a useful way to do it I think. Install picasa, which is a google product, and it will index your photos on your pc and allow you to upload them to the web. It is free up to 1gig of images. I have Photoshop and Gimp but still prefer picasa. It is really simple and convenient.

http://picasaweb.google.com
craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 06:59 AM   #34
HMarc
Hoseur
 
HMarc's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Spokane, WA, USA
Oddometer: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycoder
Picasa web albums are a useful way to do it I think.
Or try SmugMug.com, which if I recall correctly, is owned and operated by the same guy that owns/operates this forum, ADVrider.com.
__________________
HMarc
HMarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 07:26 AM   #35
Buckster
Banned
 
Buckster's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Atlanta GA or London UK
Oddometer: 1,003
You will find that BMW get their rims from three or four sources, some will be better than others, a few years ago KTM had a bunch of rim issues which they corrected, the BMW response surprises me.
Buckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 07:30 AM   #36
JPSpen
At Large
 
JPSpen's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Keeping up with the Joneses, OK ?
Oddometer: 1,185
Sorry to hear about your issues.

The only way the rim can get damaged is if you hit something with enough force to collapse the tire all the way thru the tire to the rim.

So I'm betting underinflation was probably a contributing factor.
But it still sucks that the rims damage so easily....

I use tinypic.com for my picture hosting...Free, easy.....

I was coming home from the tire shop with brand new tires on my RT.
They were "grinding" on the road and just stopped half way thru an off ramp. It was like hitting a 5" high curb at 65 mph. No warning signs or anything. Ruined both new tires and bent both rims... Mirrors popped off. I was almost thrown from the bike. I wasn't 15 miles into them yet... So I feel your pain...
John
__________________
'03 BMW R1200CLC "Flipper"(Tis but a scratch!)
'01 BMW R1100RT "Lucky"
'91 BMW R100GS "itsnotamoneypit"
I like the wind in my face and Boobies too !!..
JPSpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 07:45 AM   #37
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs
 
RedRocket's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: SoCal
Oddometer: 19,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirsuper
Tire pressure was whatever the dealer put in it since the bike only had just over 300 miles on it when we left for the ride. Hopefully you can all see the pics.

I think I see your problem.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 08:07 AM   #38
HWSNBN
Banned
 
HWSNBN's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Playing a d00d, disguised as another d00d
Oddometer: 2,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiGS
Did your forks bottom at all? When I first got m 800, the shocks would bottom if I sneezed funny. They always bottomed over ruts, transferring the whole hit to the rim. I got heavier duty springs and problem solved.
Wonder why BMW speced the cheapest non adjustable crap forks Zoke makes for such an expensive bike supposedly designed for off road?? Even $8000 Huskys come with fully adjustable Shivers. The one I tested bounced all over the place and drove me nuts. WAY too much rebound and no easy way to adjust it.
HWSNBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 08:08 AM   #39
HWSNBN
Banned
 
HWSNBN's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Playing a d00d, disguised as another d00d
Oddometer: 2,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckster
You will find that BMW get their rims from three or four sources, some will be better than others, a few years ago KTM had a bunch of rim issues which they corrected, the BMW response surprises me.
Behr and who else?
HWSNBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 08:17 AM   #40
craftycoder
Motobrain PDU
 
craftycoder's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Atlanta
Oddometer: 2,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by HWSNBN
Wonder why BMW speced the cheapest non adjustable crap forks Zoke makes for such an expensive bike supposedly designed for off road?? Even $8000 Huskys come with fully adjustable Shivers. The one I tested bounced all over the place and drove me nuts. WAY too much rebound and no easy way to adjust it.
That is a fair complaint of the F8GS. TE610s, at least last year's model, don't come with fully adjustable forks though. The manual explains how to adjust damping with a screw at the bottom of the fork, but apparently the screw is not there. Or so my buddy who is bitterly disappointed that he was lied to claims. I didn't stick my nose under his forks to confirm.

I know this is not much solace for those of us who paid plenty and are annoyed by the lackluster suspension of the F8GS, but the F800Depot guy intimated that bitubo is planning a fulling adjustable fork mod this year (as opposed to their cartridge insert from last year).
craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 08:43 AM   #41
HWSNBN
Banned
 
HWSNBN's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Playing a d00d, disguised as another d00d
Oddometer: 2,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycoder
That is a fair complaint of the F8GS. TE610s, at least last year's model, don't come with fully adjustable forks though. The manual explains how to adjust damping with a screw at the bottom of the fork, but apparently the screw is not there. Or so my buddy who is bitterly disappointed that he was lied to claims. I didn't stick my nose under his forks to confirm.

I know this is not much solace for those of us who paid plenty and are annoyed by the lackluster suspension of the F8GS, but the F800Depot guy intimated that bitubo is planning a fulling adjustable fork mod this year (as opposed to their cartridge insert from last year).
Theres a rubber grommit that you have to pop out. It protects the screw... at least thats the deal on my SM610. Italians make changes whenever the wind changes direction it seems. Hope its hidden up there!

I came close to buying an F* but it just f'in killed me that they loaded the thing up with all that plastic, whizz bang electronics, excess weight and spent NOTHING on a decent suspension, wheels, damper, etc... the actual stuff that would make the bike work for me. Shoot and miss imho, just like the G650, the 450, etc... Sticking with my KTM for now, maybe one day they'll get it right but I'm not holding my breath for it any more.
HWSNBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 08:54 AM   #42
Dirsuper OP
Adventurer
 
Dirsuper's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Ramona, CA
Oddometer: 47
Thanks again for all the great info. I had no idea about that picasa thing or any of that stuff....I am WAY behind the times! Tire pressure....good points to all. I, like MOST of us, know I should check frequently, but.....like so many other things I should or should not do. Anyway, here are the pics. Appreciate everything.

















Dirsuper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 09:02 AM   #43
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown
 
YetiGS's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: San Diego
Oddometer: 7,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by HWSNBN
I came close to buying an F* but it just f'in killed me that they loaded the thing up with all that plastic, whizz bang electronics, excess weight and spent NOTHING on a decent suspension, wheels, damper, etc... the actual stuff that would make the bike work for me. Shoot and miss imho, just like the G650, the 450, etc... Sticking with my KTM for now, maybe one day they'll get it right but I'm not holding my breath for it any more.
Fair complaint about the suspension, I agree and got the Bitubos. That said, I don't know anyone with a KTM 9*0 Adventure that hasn't modified the suspension. The biggest problem with the BMW suspension for the vast majority of American riders is that it is undersprung for our weights. If you weigh 175 or less it's probably just fine. I do wish they were adjustable but most riders never adjust their suspension beyone setting the pre-load if even that.

Woody himself has said that the wheels spec'd by BMW are fine wheels (Behr), the problem is that they're too wide for true hard-core off road use. Since 90% of 800GS owners won't use their bikes that hard, the spec is probably fine.

One last thing, correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the KTMs weigh more than the BMW? Even with all its whizz bang electronics? And don't the KTMs have WAY more plastic? They're fully faired for Dog's sake...

Without all that plastic maintenance would be much simpler . . .
__________________
-Scott-
Semper Fi
'04 BMW R1150GSA, '04 KTM 625 SXC
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 09:05 AM   #44
Maddaddy
Greg
 
Maddaddy's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Olympia, WA
Oddometer: 1,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm
wait till you discover a few other shortcomings when used as a dirt bike.
Funny thing is, it is not a dirt bike.

Back to the issue. Your dealer screwed you. You're dealer (like mine) should have suggested to you that what you meant to say was that "you hit a pot hole while riding on asphalt during dusk hours in heavy traffic and could not, at not fault of your own, avoid the pot hole and hit it full on."

BTW it's your fault for not reading your warranty and all the other paperwork.

The F800GS is a street bike that you can ride off road. It is not a dirt bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiGS
The biggest problem with the BMW suspension for the vast majority of American riders is that it is under-sprung for our weights.
Nice way of saying that Americans are a bunch of fat asses. and how true it is.
__________________
PSSOR - Dualsport Training & Adventure Camps.
Off-Road Destructor Extraordinaire

Maddaddy screwed with this post 03-17-2010 at 09:26 AM
Maddaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 09:07 AM   #45
Dirsuper OP
Adventurer
 
Dirsuper's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Ramona, CA
Oddometer: 47
Bigger pics! This picasa thing is cool!










Dirsuper is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014