Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2010, 09:10 AM   #46
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,322
Ooof. That blows. Keep working on BMW and the dealership.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the tires? i.e. street-oriented tires like those would have, I would imagine, softer sidewalls. Not offering an excuse for BMW, just wondering if that contributed.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 09:11 AM   #47
sct ptersns twn
Wait, what........?

Oddometer: 333
Ouchie.......

sct ptersns twn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 09:18 AM   #48
fred flintstone
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 515
What is the pressure in your tires right now?
fred flintstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 09:24 AM   #49
craftycoder
Motobrain PDU

Oddometer: 2,227
This fella isn't small and he has stock suspension and DIDN'T bottom out the forks or wreck his rims (presumably). At least if you believe him. I asked him about the forks and he answered. Thread here.

craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 09:28 AM   #50
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddaddy
Funny thing is, it is not a dirt bike.

Back to the issue. Your dealer screwed you. You're dealer (like mine) should have suggested to you that what you meant to say was that "you hit a pot hole while riding on asphalt during dusk hours in heavy traffic and could not, at not fault of your own, avoid the pot hole and hit it full on."

BTW it's your fault for not reading your warranty and all the other paperwork.

The F800GS is a street bike that you can ride off road. It is not a dirt bike.
You are right. I guess I should have also mentioned that I am 67 years old with a nerve disease that prevents me from riding like my hair is on fire. Hitting a rock at 10 miles an hour, combined with suspension that doesn't and an inadvertant twist of a very responsive throttle catapulted me into another rock, denting the rim. Operator error IMO and never discussed with the dealer.
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 09:32 AM   #51
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddaddy
Nice way of saying that Americans are a bunch of fat asses. and how true it is.
Hey! I'm just big boned!!

Seriously, at my height, I'd be a twig if I weighed what the bike is set up for stock.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
Old 03-17-2010, 11:42 AM   #52
HWSNBN
Banned

Oddometer: 2,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiGS
One last thing, correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the KTMs weigh more than the BMW? Even with all its whizz bang electronics? And don't the KTMs have WAY more plastic? They're fully faired for Dog's sake...

Without all that plastic maintenance would be much simpler . . .
Well, I don't want to get into a KTM vs. BMW thing here man, thats a forever unresolved issue here ya know.

BUT, I was hoping that the F800 didn't come in at a full metric ton like the KTM and 12GS. I was wanting something lighter with decent boingers out of the box and definitely without a crapload of whizbang to break out in the middle of Mexico and leave me stranded. Nearly the perfect bike I had thought until I saw it was a another pig made more to look the part than be the part imho.

About the plastic, I've let my KTM rest on its side a couple times and only managed to break a turn signal. Mostly what you see on them are the two giant fuel tanks on either side, nothing else is really in harms way...but I'm with ya. It'd be better imho if fuel was located traditionally and there was a minimum of plastic geegaw simply for the sake of kewl styling.
HWSNBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 12:20 PM   #53
Dirsuper OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred flintstone
Funny bro, as I was riding in today (on my Harley), I thought about that very question. When I get home from work that is the first thing I am going to check because I am curious.

I also know that I SHOULD have read my warranty, like many other things I 'should' and 'should not' have done. However, at the end of the day, I still think it is total bs that the rims failed. There is no way anyone can convince me that it is not a shortcoming on the part of the rims. Hell, most people let air out of their tires when going off road (in soft stuff, lots of that here in SoCal), so the tire pressure thing, while a good point, does not provide a viable excuse in my mind. Bottom line is that BMW is not standing behind their product. I am one of those dudes who will gladly pay more/defend a company to my dying breath if they take care of their customers......that does not appear to be the case here. I am very disappointed and will share my experience at EVERY opportunity....
Dirsuper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 12:25 PM   #54
Dirsuper OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregneedham
It's a 2009. Check out the TAT blog in my sig line and you can see some of the abusive trails we rode on.

EDIT: I completely forgot that he rode Alaska right after he got the bike, so he has pounded the gravel in Alaska, hammered the Transamerica Trail from Memphis to Moab and done some serious jumping on some backwoods track riding with me, with no damage to the rims.

just 2 cents to help give perspective.
Thanks bro, that only adds more fuel to the fire....clearly whoever they sourced my rims from produced a faulty product......and will continue to do so if this issue is denied.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:35 PM   #55
craftycoder
Motobrain PDU

Oddometer: 2,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirsuper
Hell, most people let air out of their tires when going off road (in soft stuff, lots of that here in SoCal), so the tire pressure thing, while a good point, does not provide a viable excuse in my mind.
The rims didn't bend because you hit something soft. You can't set the pressures for one environment and expect it to work in every environment. I made the mistake of setting pressures at sea level and then grinding off the center of my tire after 300 miles above 9000. I don't think that is BMW's fault even though it happened to the stock tires. If your rim bent at spec pressure and your forks were not bottomed out then I would think you had a beef. Otherwise, I would say rider beware.

My dealer recently installed a new battery due to a recall and the next day it (the battery) flew through the side panel of the bike when I dropped it (not moving) off road. They called it accident damage. The panel did touch the ground. I'm pretty sure the dealer didn't secure the battery correctly, but they told me to shove it. Driving offroad on tires whose pressure you can't be certain about and bending your rims sounds less like a BMW problem then my issue and guess what, neither are covered. The warranty should and mostly does cover defects, but not rider error. I think our rear hubs are an exception here. We consume bearings with reckless abandon and BMW doesn't give a *bleep*.
craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 12:36 PM   #56
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred flintstone

I'll guess that he has no clue.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 12:45 PM   #57
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Quote:
Funny bro, as I was riding in today (on my Harley), I thought about that very question. When I get home from work that is the first thing I am going to check because I am curious.

I also know that I SHOULD have read my warranty, like many other things I 'should' and 'should not' have done. However, at the end of the day, I still think it is total bs that the rims failed. There is no way anyone can convince me that it is not a shortcoming on the part of the rims. Hell, most people let air out of their tires when going off road (in soft stuff, lots of that here in SoCal), so the tire pressure thing, while a good point, does not provide a viable excuse in my mind. Bottom line is that BMW is not standing behind their product. I am one of those dudes who will gladly pay more/defend a company to my dying breath if they take care of their customers......that does not appear to be the case here. I am very disappointed and will share my experience at EVERY opportunity....
As we discussed off-line, I rode that exact same trail (as did kkug) earlier in the day before you did. kkug and I both aired down. I don't know what he aired down to, but I was at 20psi front and rear. We also both have redone the suspension on our 800s at both ends.

I got a flat in my rear tire (due to a friggin' nail) but otherwise, neither of us had any problems and neither of us have any dents in our rims. Even after the watercrossing.

Did you bottom out either the front or rear? Before I did my springs, the one ride I did I bottomed out my forks pretty often on terrain just like last Sunday's. I was amazed when I got home and there were no dents in my front rim because I fully expected them. I would swear I felt a couple of ruts compress the tire into the rim. How I didn't dent the rims or get pinch flats I have no idea.

This weekend, with the bueno suspension, I didn't bottom out once and never felt worried about the front rim.

Just food for thought. I do think BMW should step up and warranty the rims.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:47 PM   #58
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,655
Quote:
Hell, most people let air out of their tires when going off road (in soft stuff, lots of that here in SoCal), so the tire pressure thing, while a good point, does not provide a viable excuse in my mind.
People air down offroad-oriented tires (which typically have stiffer sidewalls), and if it's a big bike, they usually only go down to 22psi or so. If your mostly-street tires were at too low a pressure and you hit some sort of sharp edge offroad, you really can't blame BMW for the rims bending. You can get pissed off at the dealer for not properly inflating the tires, but even then, it's incumbent upon the rider to check his bike prior to riding it -- especially in rougher conditions.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 12:48 PM   #59
Dirsuper OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket
I'll guess that he has no clue.
None. I am checking it when I get home from work. I am really curious at this point. Hell, I am going to check all my bike/car tires tonight!
Old 03-17-2010, 12:53 PM   #60
upweekis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregneedham
I don't own one, but I have watched another inmate ride his F800 off ridges, up embankments, jumped off fairly good size jumps which bottomed out the suspension...AND ride 2500 hard miles on the Transamerica Trail with the stock rims and none of that has damaged them.

I have to think something else is up with yours.
+1
I ride the shit out of mine with no problems. ANY rim will bend if you hit a rock or ledge hard enough, with the air down in the tire. That's why I leave mine up the same as road pressure---and I would guess that's why BMW runs full pressure in them on the bikes in their off-road schools. Just my 2 cents