Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2010, 08:01 AM   #91
craftycoder
Motobrain PDU

Oddometer: 2,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirsuper
After I get the Woody's rims, I WILL be going off-road and will let you know then. A buddy with a Strom told me that his bike came with the same tires, but I don't think he has really done any off-roading, he has only done mild dirt roads.....kinda like what I was doing when I bent BOTH rims on my one-week old F800GS!
I'm still confused about what happened. How did you bend the rims if your tires were fully inflated and you never hit any bumps and you never bottomed out the suspension? There must have been a precipitating event otherwise your bike would have just continued to melt into a puddle on your garage floor, right?

Put a zip tie on your front fork to check for suspension bottoming when you get your tires back. I mean no offense by asking, but are you a very large guy? Something has to explain this. Could the rims have been like that since you picked it up and you never noticed?
craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 08:04 AM   #92
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycoder
I'm still confused about what happened. How did you bend the rims if your tires were fully inflated and you never hit any bumps and you never bottomed out the suspension? There must have been a precipitating event otherwise your bike would have just continued to melt into a puddle on your garage floor, right?

Put a zip tie on your front fork to check for suspension bottoming when you get your tires back. I mean no offense by asking, but are you a very large guy? Something has to explain this. Could the rims have been like that since you picked it up and you never noticed?
No, he's not a big guy. At least he's smaller than me!

He said back in an earlier post that he hit some ruts, just nothing he thought would have been hard enough to cause this kind of damage.

I tend to agree with whoever it was that suggested that some wheels are apparently not being built right or have soft rims. There are a lot of folks who have beaten their wheels with no dents and more than just one or two with rims that have bent/dented when they shouldn't have.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 09:56 AM   #93
Dirsuper OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Quote:

Yeah man, I technically was 'off-road' but I was not doing anything hardcore. We hit some ruts and bumps, but nothing that should ever have bent the rims. I really doubt they were bent when I picked it up as it is almost impossible to miss the one on the front especially. I will check the front fork, but I think I would have known if I bottomed it out. I raced dirt bikes from the time I could walk until I was 16.......this ride was a slow cruise on a dirt road. I am 6' tall and weigh ~200 lbs.
Dirsuper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 10:16 AM   #94
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,556
When you get your old rims back, I would revisit this issue with your dealer and if no results, insist on a discussion with their corporate rep. If there is a metal defect with the rims, they can certainly be tested and I would demand it.
On a side note, I recently hit a water rut 2ft across and a 1ft deep at 50 mph with enough force to dislodge my clip on tank bag with no damage.
To get any results with BMW you should exhaust all steps within the system. Like them or not, the key player is going to be your dealer. Talks of lawsuits or going over some ones head is just going to force them to marshal their forces against you. Statements from others, pictures of the crime scene and even referral to some of these threads of other's misadventures will be helpful. I know you are upset, but your best results will be achieved by being calm and business like.
If all that fails there will be plenty of time to blast them on the internet. At least that is what I hear
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 10:43 AM   #95
Dirsuper OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm
When you get your old rims back, I would revisit this issue with your dealer and if no results, insist on a discussion with their corporate rep. If there is a metal defect with the rims, they can certainly be tested and I would demand it.
On a side note, I recently hit a water rut 2ft across and a 1ft deep at 50 mph with enough force to dislodge my clip on tank bag with no damage.
To get any results with BMW you should exhaust all steps within the system. Like them or not, the key player is going to be your dealer. Talks of lawsuits or going over some ones head is just going to force them to marshal their forces against you. Statements from others, pictures of the crime scene and even referral to some of these threads of other's misadventures will be helpful. I know you are upset, but your best results will be achieved by being calm and business like.
If all that fails there will be plenty of time to blast them on the internet. At least that is what I hear
Good points man. I have not really pursued this with the dealer other than the one phone call. My dealership has been great to me in every interaction and I have nothing bad to say about them. When I get the rims back I will simply bring them in and see what they say. Lawsuits and such are not something I would seriously consider, I am just not that kind of guy. I kicked around seeing if I had any legal recourse, but at the end of the day it just does not sit right with me. If, when I bring the rims in, the dealership can do something, great. If not, oh well, it will not change my relationship with them. I am just frustrated with BMW. If it were my company and somebody were in this situation with my product, I would do whatever I had to do to ensure that person was happy. Especially in this Internet Age......one disgruntled customer could do a lot of PR damage if they were so inclined. Right now I am focused on planning the weekend trip.....Highway 1 from San Diego (well, we'll probably catch it north of LA) all the way to San Francisco....gonna be a blast. My bro will be on his 1200GS, I will be on my Harley. Leaving my house at 0600 tomorrow.....gonna be a sweet ride!
Old 03-19-2010, 11:04 AM   #96
gr8ridn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 369
I agree with itsatdm, have your damaged rims sent back. I would suggest while Woody has your wheels get his professional opinion of the damaged rims. Perhaps he can determine if your rims are improperly heat treated or machined compared to the other BMW rims he has worked on. Having the original rims sent back is a good idea. This could be your best evidence for a settlement of the issue if they are outside production specifications. Remember warranty strictly covers manufacturing defects. It doesn't cover damage due to use that can not be quantified, there are too many variables that can't be corroborated. Carefully read your warranty. A calm even handed approach will likely net more than a rant.
You say you are a military person. Think chain of command and that will be a good start. Service Writer, Service Manager, General Manager, Dealer Owner, BMW Regional Rep, BMWNA. Don't skip ahead until all reasonable effort has been exhausted at each level. Document all discussions and actions so it can be forwarded to the next level up. PITA I know, but this has the best chance of working in your favor.

Doing everything you can think of to bad mouth BMW until you have exhausted all reasonable means of correction is probably counter-productive.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:48 AM   #97
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,556
Once you get the wheels toughened up, there are a few more mods that I think are a necessity on this bike even on a road like you described. Repring it. I also weigh 200# and though I don't think I bottomed it, the bike will have much better compliance with a set of new springs and matching fork oil, I like the Hyperpros. Even better, coupled with a Bitubo fork insert. A G-2 throttle tamer. Some inmates have wrist of steel, but I dinged my rim at slow speed because I couldn't control the throttle after an impact with a small rock. After the mentioned gully whomp in the previous thread I am an advocate of the Ralley Pro rear shock brace. I have never bent a bolt, but it seems like good insurance, though it probably will invalidate any frame warranty claims.
Personally I don't think you should have to deal with any of these issues on a "superior" motorcycle, but sometimes you deal with what you are dealt.
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 01:30 PM   #98
Dirsuper OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8ridn
I agree with itsatdm, have your damaged rims sent back. I would suggest while Woody has your wheels get his professional opinion of the damaged rims. Perhaps he can determine if your rims are improperly heat treated or machined compared to the other BMW rims he has worked on. Having the original rims sent back is a good idea. This could be your best evidence for a settlement of the issue if they are outside production specifications. Remember warranty strictly covers manufacturing defects. It doesn't cover damage due to use that can not be quantified, there are too many variables that can't be corroborated. Carefully read your warranty. A calm even handed approach will likely net more than a rant.
You say you are a military person. Think chain of command and that will be a good start. Service Writer, Service Manager, General Manager, Dealer Owner, BMW Regional Rep, BMWNA. Don't skip ahead until all reasonable effort has been exhausted at each level. Document all discussions and actions so it can be forwarded to the next level up. PITA I know, but this has the best chance of working in your favor.

Doing everything you can think of to bad mouth BMW until you have exhausted all reasonable means of correction is probably counter-productive.
All great points. Well taken. Thanks man.
Old 03-19-2010, 01:34 PM   #99
Dirsuper OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm
Once you get the wheels toughened up, there are a few more mods that I think are a necessity on this bike even on a road like you described. Repring it. I also weigh 200# and though I don't think I bottomed it, the bike will have much better compliance with a set of new springs and matching fork oil, I like the Hyperpros. Even better, coupled with a Bitubo fork insert. A G-2 throttle tamer. Some inmates have wrist of steel, but I dinged my rim at slow speed because I couldn't control the throttle after an impact with a small rock. After the mentioned gully whomp in the previous thread I am an advocate of the Ralley Pro rear shock brace. I have never bent a bolt, but it seems like good insurance, though it probably will invalidate any frame warranty claims.
Personally I don't think you should have to deal with any of these issues on a "superior" motorcycle, but sometimes you deal with what you are dealt.
OMG! I could see the wife's reaction to me trying to spend MORE money on this bike........appreciate the info, but I will not (I hope) be spending a lot of money on bikes for a while.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:32 PM   #100
Mugwest

Oddometer: 5,803
Behr is getting some hatin' in this thread, but it bears pointing out that the rims on the oilhead 11xxGS's must be some of the stoutest spoke rims ever issued. I have hit tarmac potholes dramatic enough to get me off the bike looking for squared rims, and aggressive curb hits are all in a day's work on my bike.
Possibly different alloy composition, but from here it looks like Behr make a quality rim
Old 03-20-2010, 06:27 PM   #101
HWSNBN
Banned

Oddometer: 2,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirsuper
Yeah man, I technically was 'off-road' .......this ride was a slow cruise on a dirt road.
When BMW says that riding 'off-Road' voids the warranty, does that mean off pavement or off road? Theres a difference there ya know especially given the verbiage they've used to market this bike. Maybe it'll help in your conversation with the rep?
HWSNBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 08:08 PM   #102
victor441
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 825
Quote:
I have a live account and the photos still don't work. They are in your email box so only someone with your hotmail password can view them. They need to be posted to a normal webserver or image hosting site.

Picasa web albums are a useful way to do it I think. Install picasa, which is a google product, and it will index your photos on your pc and allow you to upload them to the web. It is free up to 1gig of images. I have Photoshop and Gimp but still prefer picasa. It is really simple and convenient.

http://picasaweb.google.com

yep, works well....FWIW personally I've gotten better results w/ Picasa by right clicking on the image there and using that link here rather than what shows in the url box at Picasa...
victor441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 11:38 PM   #103
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
I'm sure you guys have seen this pic from the Jimmy Lewis/BMW sponsored press ride in Africa. Apparently they did a couple of these on the big F800GS ride.

Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 01:01 AM   #104
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,123
GS = Gotta Suck

My front wheel looks something like yours, bent to hell from a ride in Death Valley. @ 30PSI

Get used to shitty BMW dealer service and warranty coverage denied, it comes with the GS at no extra cost.

My Bike:
Rear wheel bearings and hub failure- denied. cost me about $400
Front end steering head bearing failure- denied. cost me about $350
Front wheel bent- denied.
Broken chain the first day of purchase.
Add in these still unfixed/unexplained issues: two major oil leaks (still had the bent valve cover on it, though I've asked for it to be replaced) , stalling in the rain, random overheating, transmission slipping, stalling when left idling for more than 1 minute, and a gas gauge/computer system that I PAID for as an option doesn't work for shit even after being serviced twice. My bike was at a dealer for 6 weeks, with nothing but a bill and no answers at the end.

No love for BMW NA or it's network of shitty dealers here.

I feel the vast majority of GS owners idea of rough or long distance riding are quite different from mine.
25,000 miles in a matter of 6 months of riding, never holding back on the GS, it's my experience that BMW obviously DID NOT have the kinks worked out on the 09's, and should have supported the bike better, especially for us "BETA TESTERS".
I half expected to have a few issues with the brand new design bike, but the service and support I have had is just plain wrong.

To me it's obvious BMW's Adventure Marketing Department is far more skilled than the Adventure Machine Making Department....

On a positive note, the GS sure is a decent road bike.

LostRider.com

Lost Rider screwed with this post 03-21-2010 at 01:07 AM
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 03:01 AM   #105
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,502
Chi... That's just shy of 139 miles a day... How do your cars hold out?