Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2012, 04:33 PM   #46
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,253
Do you have a guess as to the type of plastics being used? My plan, if this reoccurs and not covered by warranty, was to find an appropriate glue and fill in the crack.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:57 PM   #47
EPMD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by COracer View Post
So I'm buying an '09 with the cracks, it is out of the three year warranty. Does anyone know if indeed this is covered for the 5 year fuel/emissions warranty? Has anyone reported leakage or is this strictly cosmetic?

Anxiously awaiting the cutaway of one...
I recently bought a used 09 that was out of its 3 year warranty. I only noticed the cracking a couple weeks ago and took the bike to my local BMW dealer.

The guy knew all about the issue and said it's covered for 5 years. It's currently being fixed and BMW will be paying the bill.

It's taken about 1.5 weeks to get all the parts needed for the swap.

The guy at the shop said the new part number is the same as the old part number so most likely it will just happen again a couple years down the road. That being said, to date no one has reported leaking fuel from these cracks so yes, it is purely a cosmetic issue.e
EPMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:46 PM   #48
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by twizted1 View Post
I've not been in the industry in 5 years now...but from the best of my memory, the layer thicknesses were dependent on the customer requirements and testing. A crack that started in any layer would eventually propagate through. The crack may "stop" for a time, but will eventually crack the next layer.

All my input is based on the one company I worked for in the fuel tank industry, BMW's tanks may be built/designed/molded in a different process or using different materials than I have experience with.
Thanks, so it sounds like ... given enough time
This would move from being simply a "cosmetic" issue into a full-blown holy-crap my tank is leaking issue
Not cool, not cool at all ...........
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:08 AM   #49
twizted1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin4melife View Post
So why are they cracking?
From the pictures I've seen the cracking is at an interior angle (on the outside of the tank), those areas were problem areas for the mfg I worked for as locally thick spots, which was never as bad of a problem as locally thin spots. The thicker spots may not flex as well as the thin spots and crack rather than flex. Angles such as that though are also stress risers and as such will typically fail before the areas around them.
twizted1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:14 AM   #50
twizted1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
Do you have a guess as to the type of plastics being used? My plan, if this reoccurs and not covered by warranty, was to find an appropriate glue and fill in the crack.
My thoughts would be HDPE, but I cannot recall what adhesive is used to adhere the middle layer to the HDPE.
twizted1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:58 PM   #51
COracer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by EPMD View Post
I recently bought a used 09 that was out of its 3 year warranty. I only noticed the cracking a couple weeks ago and took the bike to my local BMW dealer.

The guy knew all about the issue and said it's covered for 5 years. It's currently being fixed and BMW will be paying the bill.

It's taken about 1.5 weeks to get all the parts needed for the swap.

The guy at the shop said the new part number is the same as the old part number so most likely it will just happen again a couple years down the road. That being said, to date no one has reported leaking fuel from these cracks so yes, it is purely a cosmetic issue.e
Thanks EPMD, sounds like a visit to the dealer might not end in tears so I'll start there.
COracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:36 AM   #52
mbonadio
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Had the warranty repair on my 2 month old bike done yesterday.. Same part number tank installed. Dealer said 'it will probably crack again". Seriously? This issue is 2-3 years old and BMW hasn't recified it yet? I Again, I'm sure not that excited about the long term viability of this bike...

But for the next few years while covered under warranty I do enjoy riding it... so that's what I'll do. But you can bet I'll probably sell it after 3 years before it cracks again. No way I'm paying $1800 bucks for one later!

Although I'm told the cracks are just cosmetic. Yep, so is my wallet BMW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbonadio View Post
My brand new '13 F700GS tank cracked on both sides within 2 weeks of purchase and after just 2 tanks of gas.... I'm pretty disappointed. More disappointed that I spent all this money on something that's been known bad for 2-3 years and with no signs of a permanent fix. So now, I have to live with the prospect that after my warranty period I'll have a cracked tank for the rest of it's life! I'm not too happy about it right now.... I'll keep my fingers crossed that something changes in the coming year.

But given how quickly my brand new bike developed issues, I sure do wonder!
mbonadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:50 PM   #53
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,993
The problem has been around since this bike was introduced.
I have one of the early / VIN first-production year bikes
I am on my 2nd tank which is also cracking slightly.

If I understand correctly:

1) original warranty is 3 years on entire bike

2) since tank is part of fuel/emission system it may actually have a 5-year warranty

3) any part replaced (under warranty or otherwise) has a 2-year warranty ON THAT PART
I had my tank replaced just before the 3-yr factory warranty ran out.
I expect to be showing up at my dealer just before the 2-year part warranty runs out...
will expect my replacement tank will be free.
I will also be hoping that by then the problem has been properly addressed!

If not I guess I'll be back yet again in another 23 months?
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote