User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2010, 08:23 PM   #1
thumper-darryl OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Importing bikes into Austrailia

Wife and are moving to Townsville later this year and plan to bring our BMWs with us. Info on requirements on this are very mixed and confused. Can anybody outline exactly what is involved, as in who has done it. The Australian website on this is very vague and not complete.
Thanks in advance.
Darryl
thumper-darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 09:22 PM   #2
werewasi

Oddometer: n/a
Go to the Australian DOTARS site for info re requirements.
If you have owned the bikes for the qualifying period and they are accepted as 'personal imports', then you will not have to meet the strict ADR compliance rules.
You must have the DOTARS approval before shipping.
Make sure bike is scrupulously clean and if coming fr country where foot & mouth disease has been recorded, you will get even more attention.
You will be bettter to build a crate that you can unscrew one side from so the AQIS inspectors can see how clean the bike is. (Clean the filter and check inside of rubber boots)

Dont use suss looking timber to build the crates, partic the skid.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:54 PM   #3
atgreg
Africatwinarama

Oddometer: 9,954
its all here, read it very carefully, to be honest , the hassle & cost is only worth it for something you cant buy here

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roa...les/index.aspx
Old 03-18-2010, 04:18 AM   #4
werewasi

Quote "The Australian website on this is very vague and not complete".

Don't know what website you referring to but the ones we've referred to have a lot of detail.

When you don't put any detail in your sig such as where you're domiciled, it's very difficult for people on this forum to give you relevant info.

At www.customs.gov.au -there is info on the GST payable on imported stuff but I can't see whether they differentiate between migrants bringing in bikes and general importations so you'd better check this out carefully.
As Atgreg says, once you start having to pay these charges then you need to do a careful costing of whether it's worthwhile. GST is levied on CIF and
only a realistic valuation of the bike will be accepted.
You didn't say whether you are coming to settle permanently and this is critical. If not, you have to arrange a carnet and export the bike within a determined time frame.
As you can see you've got to have owned and used the bike for the full 12 onths before shipping.
Check out bike values on E Bay and 'trading post' and you'll soon see what they cost here.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:03 PM   #5
thumper-darryl OP
Adventurer

Importing bikes into Austrailia

Moving permanently from Canada to Townsville area. Have already found a company to do a steam cleaning. Registering seems to be an unresolved item. Even BMW does not seem to know if North American lights are OK in Queensland.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:42 PM   #6
werewasi

Registering the bike will probably end up being the least of your problems.
Change headlight unit to get 'throw' on to the other side of the road and indicators must be amber. Google Qland dept of transport/motor registration and deal with them rather than BMW.
There was a guy on the NZ forum who brought a BMW into NZ and had to buy a headlight. From what I remember it was a scary price. Go back through their forum because it was in the last 4 months.
Ask AQIS if steamcleaning and holding an invoice will get you some brownie points. Acid test will be if they spot any dirt then........
There will be places you don't want to blast with the s/c lance so these will be the areas you will have to look at carefully.
Before you spend money do the DOTARS homework and make sure you qualify and can get the approval to import. This is the big one.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:06 PM   #7
CJ Burns Esq
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
and when you clean beware as dirt stains on alloy will be classed as dirt.
Use WD40 to clean the dirt stains off.

Cost for cleaning for "Yank in Oz" or what ever his name was was close to $3k I think..........

MCCofNSW Delegate
www.mccofnsw.org.au
Dirt bike sub committee If you do nothing, nothing will change.
CJ Burns Esq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 08:12 PM   #8
Beach40
Banned

Oddometer: 2,975
You really have to ask yourself if its going to be worth it. That bike must be something really special to go through all that hassle and the considerable expense.

I looked at this when I came back from the UK in 1996. The freight cost alone was enough for me to just flog the bike before I left and get something else when I landed back in Oz.
Beach40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 08:59 PM   #9
pete40
Life Behind Bars

Oddometer: 1,207
3k seems a bit OTT for cleaning. I was charged $60 back in 1994 for bringing my Guzzi back in. needed a certificate for the wood used in the crate. When we bought a Jaguar car in from England customs also cleaned that and charged, but it was cheap. Got it registered in Qld the same day.
pete40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 02:53 AM   #10
werewasi

Ok, so you last three posters are confirming what I told him i.e . that the
bike cleanliness thing is the big issue. But wait for the poster who was on here a couple of months ago saying that he had brought dirty vehicles into Aus. without being challenged. This is BS stuff and you do it at your peril.
The registration won't be a big deal but because its a BMW the headllight insert will cost $100000.
Freight from L A to Brisbane is costing me $1500 for a Spada so his would be about the same.
The killer is the GST (on CIF) but maybe he will be exempt.
Old 03-19-2010, 04:09 AM   #11
jacksonracingcomau
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by werewasi
Ok, so you last three posters are confirming what I told him i.e . that the
bike cleanliness thing is the big issue. But wait for the poster who was on here a couple of months ago saying that he had brought dirty vehicles into Aus. without being challenged. This is BS stuff and you do it at your peril.
The registration won't be a big deal but because its a BMW the headllight insert will cost $100000.
Freight from L A to Brisbane is costing me $1500 for a Spada so his would be about the same.
The killer is the GST (on CIF) but maybe he will be exempt.
last bike sent here totally filthy but had steam cleaned ticket, papers checked but bike not. Here no prob
Headlight sounds dear
freight ridiculous

www.jacksonracing.com.au
jacksonracingcomau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 12:41 PM   #12
thumper-darryl OP
Adventurer

Importing bikes

Thanks Walt. Cleaning arranged for $200. No problem qualifying for Dotars. Shipping company can fit bikes into shipping container with other stuff going, so that cost is pretty much nothing. Looks like a new headlight and GST. Way better than taking a beating selling our used bikes here and replacing right away.
Old 03-19-2010, 01:08 PM   #13
discobob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
You shouldnt have to pay GST on personal effects as long as you have owned the bike for a a certain period. But that can be a bit of a lottery.
discobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 07:25 PM   #14
MOLAHS
Sisyphus

Oddometer: 1,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper-darryl
Thanks Walt. Cleaning arranged for $200. No problem qualifying for Dotars. Shipping company can fit bikes into shipping container with other stuff going, so that cost is pretty much nothing. Looks like a new headlight and GST. Way better than taking a beating selling our used bikes here and replacing right away.
If you follow the link on "atgreg's" link you'll get all the info you require. If you've owned the bikes for 12 months overseas and prove that then no GST.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:51 PM   #15
werewasi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonracingcomau
last bike sent here totally filthy but had steam cleaned ticket, papers checked but bike not. Here no prob
Headlight sounds dear
freight ridiculous

www.jacksonracing.com.au
The freight content is $491. The balance is made up of the L A agency/consolidators charges, port charges at brisbane , customs entry prep charges, AQIS inspection etc etc........... These are largely unavoidable.

It is very hard to interest anyone in L A to ship bikes. They are "dirty' freight in that even if crated, are not suitable for stacking more freight other than very light stuff on top. There are always people on forums asking about shipping availability and details but very few answers.