User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2014, 11:25 PM   #1
Btjans OP
Balance.

Oddometer: 47
2014 F800 GSA idles rough

Hi. I bought a used 2014 GSA with about 8500 miles on it. After start up it idles what I can only describe as rough. This is my first bmw so I don't have a baseline for how smooth it is supposed to be. Do any of you have a newer GS that does this? It's still under warranty and I could take it to the shop, but wanted to get some feedback from this braintrust first. It has never stalled out when idling. Seems plenty powerful when cracking the throttle. I really love this bike but have this nagging thing I need to put to rest. Since it's a bmw I just assumed it would be smooth as silk when idling but as the guy said when I started it before I bought it " thats how beemers run". Was he right?
Thanks all and have a safe weekend
Btjans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 05:30 AM   #2
deijmaser
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Great question, my 2014 seems "smooth" but as it's totally new I only have around 100km on it; but I will keep you up to date if it changes.

If you have the time, can you post a youtube video so I can compare the idle to mine?
deijmaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 07:08 AM   #3
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,672
They should all idle smooth. The new 12gs, not s much, but the 8gs is very smooth. There are a few things that could cause a rough idle. First, I would pour about 1 oz of techron per gallon of fuel in the tank. If the injectors are partially blocked then you will have a rough idle. The 8gs is known to be sensitive to ethanol, and techron fixes most of that. Try that first, and run it at all throttle openings. If that does not help, then we will have a look at your charcoal canister system if you have such.

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 07:10 AM   #4
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,289
Try some injector cleaner. These bikes are notorious for aluminum oxide clogging from ethanol fuels eating the fuel pumps.

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS
2007 Husqvarna TE610 , 2003 KTM 525 MXC
Indy Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 10:55 AM   #5
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

Oddometer: 140
Got a new 2014 GS, experienced a few rough idles at stop a couple of times. May be the premium gas... Bad batch? Dunno.
Touratech Lower/Upper Crashbars, Skidplate, Adj. /Folding Clutch and Brake Levers (black) - Barkbusters VPS Handguards - SW Motech Rear Frame Sliders and Chain Guard - Pivot Pegs - Bestrest Shock Bolt Support with Upper Bolt - Accelerator Module - Nautilus Air Horn - 12VDC Display
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 11:37 AM   #6
LeCler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
My 8 GSA

Mine has over 13K and it runs great. I would only have to chalk it up to bad gas. Unless you live at altitude, and in that case I did experience rough idle when riding across CO last June. Otherwise, I never run less than 89 Octane in her...ever.
LeCler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 11:43 AM   #7
Btjans OP
Balance.

Oddometer: 47
I am now thinking it may be bad gas, and Im not talking about the Mexican food i ate the other day.
I filled up with super last time and it seems to be a little better now, although I will try the Tekron cleaner as well.
Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the advice for this rookie.
Have a great/safe wknd!
Btjans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 11:51 AM   #8
Kamala
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,599
Toss a little Startron in the tank with each fill up. Great insurance for Ethanol problems.