User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2014, 04:18 PM   #1
Vettel OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Front springs - F798GS

I have a 2012 f650gs twin which I am using occasionally for off road use. Sand pits, atv trails, mud and rocks etc.. All good fun.

My front springs are stock, and as such too much prone to dive and loss of
control when going down steep rocky hills. Those i have been down have all ended with up with my ass in a ditch and the bike taking a rest.

I would like to put something stiffer in and have looked at a couple of options: new springs and intimaters from ricor. I have decided for various reasons to go for the new springs as i can get them local and would rather support a local business being a small business owner myself.

Without taking them out (as the bike is also a daily commuter) does anyone know the size of the stock springs, length and width?

Cheers

Vettel screwed with this post 08-25-2014 at 07:34 PM
Vettel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 05:40 PM   #2
Reaver
Outta Here

Oddometer: 2,428
OK, edit here....

I read the 798 and thought it as the 700.

I have 650 springs I can measure but any Dealer should be able to order ones without the specs.

Reaver screwed with this post 08-25-2014 at 07:42 PM
Reaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 07:05 PM   #3
Vettel OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Cheers reaver. Appreciate you looking.
Old 08-26-2014, 06:23 AM   #4
malloy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 706
QUESTION: Single rate or progressive style? What's the preference?
I think Wirth and HyperPro are progressive and Wilburs are single rate. I'm sure there are others.

OEM springs on my 2012 F650 are 377mm with a 200mm spacer. Compare OEM set up to Wirth at post 4: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=379467

Equally important to size is the spring rate; not specified on the BMW fiche.

malloy screwed with this post 08-26-2014 at 06:04 PM
malloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:40 AM   #5
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,557
Depending on your weight, I recommend single rate springs for the forks. Unfortunately I don't know the rate for your bike, but they are .46kg/mm for the pre 2013 F800gs, I would expect something similar.

The Hyperpros for my bike were .52-74kg/mm. I had them and thought they were fine for a while. The problem for a 175-210lb? rider, is the bike weight alone makes up most the sag, the rider weight has little effect on sag, so suspension compliance is limited to the heavier portion. For most riding it limits the travel. A single rate spring won't do that, if properly fitted for you.

I have a .60 weight spring on my F800. It is firm for my 180lbs, but compliant enough to at least mute most of the road bumps, but I still feel them. At some point I will try my .55kg/mm springs. The goal is to firm it up enough that there is not too much compression on the minor stuff but not bottom out on the bigger bumps. An added benefit to proper springs is it makes the steering much more precise.

Looks like Wilbers are progressive too. You might contact a custom spring maker, such as Cannon: http://www.cannonracecraft.com/ They may know the rate and make recommendations.

itsatdm screwed with this post 08-26-2014 at 10:05 AM
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:47 AM   #6
GARCIAMOTO
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
I run Hyperpro progressive springs in my f700gs and

their oil. had the boys in the back look up my weight etc and just do it. Well worth the cost. Biggest improvement was on the street, some off road. Noticeable enough between mine and stock. Be sure and get it done right, oil level makes a difference. HTH
GARCIAMOTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 03:12 AM   #7
belinassu
n00b

Oddometer: 4
i had hyperpro with their oil,
now i use original springs with a 25mm teflon spacer and 20w oil
only on road use. perfect to me.
belinassu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 07:55 AM   #8
redbastard
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,118
2013 F700gs Harsh Ride

I'm surprised how harsh the ride is on my wife's new to her 2013 F700gs. Her old bike a F650 Dakar has fundamentally the same suspension so I'm surprised how much stiffer the front suspension it is. Fork oil recommendations seem to be all over the board from 7.5 - 20 w. She wants to be able to take it off pavement but not the way it is now. Has anyone installed progressive springs in an attempt soften up the ride? Did it help much? How about fork oil recommendations? At this point she's wondering if buying the 700 was a mistake.
redbastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 08:55 AM   #9
malloy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 706
No reply from cannonracecraft on spring rates ITS - nice lead though. Anyone else with ideas for spring rates?

Interesting Red that you find the front too stiff. The usual complaint is too soft. Want to trade?

Very different part numbers between the 700 and my 650 but no info on rates. Yours look longer with shorter spacer. Maybe your wife doesn't have enough sag. No, the one on the bike. Maybe too much preload?

Many recommend the RICOR intiminator for our twins: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=489675
http://cycleguidemagazine.blogspot.c...fork.html#more

Ricor recommends Amsoil 5W synthetic fork oil. OEM is 7.5W. I cut down the preload spacer a bit when putting in Ricors with stock springs. Ricors seemed to firm up the suspension for me so might not be for you.

Perhaps a lighter single rate spring following ITS suggestion if we could ever find out what the OEM rate is. I will probably change springs at some point but am till stuck with the progressive vs. single rate dilemma.

I wonder what Vettel came up with. Can Garciamoto's "backroom boys" add to this?

malloy screwed with this post 09-06-2014 at 09:02 AM
malloy is offline   Reply With Quote