User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 07:52 AM   #136
k1973
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
I looked at that one. It's just way too small.

Plus the Mojavi could see double duty on my Speed Triple as a saddlebag for for weekend rides, allowing me to ditch another tankbag.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:03 PM   #137
TierHawg
Herder of the J-Cats

Oddometer: 130
Not Fitting my bike

I finally pulled the trigger and purchased a Giant Loop Mojavi bag for my WR250R. I am looking for a system to carry a tire kit, tools, 2 liters of fuel, etc., and thought the Mojavi would be the best option. After unpacking the bag and looking at the hardware, I'm stumped, and don't see how this will work with MY bike. The issues: 1) I have the OEM factory rear luggage rack, 2) Giant Loop has sewn the mounting hardware in place.

Google file pic of the rack:

After looking over the mounting method, I can see that Giant Loop intends the end user to use the gutter hooks and secure the bag to rear fender plastic. Unfortunately, with the OEM rack, I can't figure out a way to get the gutter hooks hooked up. Things would be easier, but the fact that the right-side hardware is sewn in place, is a deal breaker for me. Makes me wonder what they were thinking?

Anyone have any positive input on a work around? I am not taking off the rear rack or cutting any hardware off the Mojavi. I tried to move the bag forward and have it lay on top of the rear seat. It will mount this way, but the drape caused the 2 side pockets to fold over and makes it so fixed objects not longer fit the full length. I tried to bypass the gutter hook system and attach the bag to rear rack. The plastic buckle hardware won't fit between the rack and fender, and since it is sewn in place, I'm loosing options.

I intend to return the bag in the next few days. I had hoped to exchange it for a Coyote bag, but found out it has the exact same issue with the hardware sewn in place. I'm sure its a great bag for 97% of the riders out there, but so far, I'm stumped why Giant Loop would sew the hardware in place so there is only one way to mount their system.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:30 PM   #138
Mr. Fisherman
Ray soon to be AWAY!

Oddometer: 10,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by TierHawg View Post
I finally pulled the trigger and purchased a Giant Loop Mojavi bag for my WR250R. I am looking for a system to carry a tire kit, tools, 2 liters of fuel, etc., and thought the Mojavi would be the best option. After unpacking the bag and looking at the hardware, I'm stumped, and don't see how this will work with MY bike. The issues: 1) I have the OEM factory rear luggage rack, 2) Giant Loop has sewn the mounting hardware in place.

After looking over the mounting method, I can see that Giant Loop intends the end user to use the gutter hooks and secure the bag to rear fender plastic. Unfortunately, with the OEM rack, I can't figure out a way to get the gutter hooks hooked up. Things would be easier, but the fact that the right-side hardware is sewn in place, is a deal breaker for me. Makes me wonder what they were thinking?

Anyone have any positive input on a work around? I am not taking off the rear rack or cutting any hardware off the Mojavi. I tried to move the bag forward and have it lay on top of the rear seat. It will mount this way, but the drape caused the 2 side pockets to fold over and makes it so fixed objects not longer fit the full length. I tried to bypass the gutter hook system and attach the bag to rear rack. The plastic buckle hardware won't fit between the rack and fender, and since it is sewn in place, I'm loosing options.

I intend to return the bag in the next few days. I had hoped to exchange it for a Coyote bag, but found out it has the exact same issue with the hardware sewn in place. I'm sure its a great bag for 97% of the riders out there, but so far, I'm stumped why Giant Loop would sew the hardware in place so there is only one way to mount their system.
As I replied to your other post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fisherman View Post
I have thousands of miles with mine on a WR250X with a rear rack.
Loosen the straps all the way and either attach to the rear fender under the rack or zip tie them to the rack.

Old 03-31-2012, 07:03 PM   #139
error cooled
anything but asphalt

Oddometer: 1,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by TierHawg View Post

Create a closed loop under the center bag in a size that won't slide all the way forward on the rack, remove one of the metal hasps. Slide the center bag over the rack with the loop underneath. Cinch the left and right sides to the frame. This method works excellently on my WRR in conjunction with a .5 gallon Touratech bottle, Pro Moto Billet rack and Trailtoolz kit:

Old 03-31-2012, 07:06 PM   #140
Bora20
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 849
I have the bag jammed under the rear of my seat on my KTM. The hook aren't even on the fender half the time. Stays in place with the straps pulling it forward.

Sounds like Operator error
Old 03-31-2012, 07:07 PM   #141
error cooled
anything but asphalt

Oddometer: 1,152
Lookin at the OEM rack the first two bolts furthest back through the fender should be the stopping point for the loop. The bag will fit perfectly, be rock solid and come on and off in less than 30 seconds.

I have used this setup for several thousand miles off road.
Old 03-31-2012, 11:57 PM   #142
TierHawg
Herder of the J-Cats

Oddometer: 130
Thanks for the ideas everyone. I posted in the Giant Loop vendor thread that I figured out the fix. I'm embarrassed that it was easy, but it only took me a day to figure it out. I moved the straps several inches back from where I thought they should be. It mounts fine between the two metal hoops on each side of the rear rack. It does tweak the rear plastic fender alittle, but so what, it fits great. And yes I felt like a tool after seeing the issue was me, not the bike or the bag.

Another idea posted up was to use metal carabineers attached to the rack, and then run the straps thru the carabineers.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:21 PM   #143
bill1960
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachs View Post
It's about 15 Liters and here's an example of its physical capacity. I can get a few more items in it - gloves, beanie, wallet, treats, etc..

The material is totally waterproof, very tough (well beyond any woven fabric for sure) the zippers = pretty dang tight #10 YKK water resistant, and if you take the time to seam seal all the stitching, it's ALMOST totally water PROOF.
Can we get further clarification of capacity.
Wach's post states 15 liters
The website states 10.5 liters

Quote:
Volume: 10.5 liters (2 4.5 liter side pockets + 1.5 liter tool pocket)
http://www.giantloopmoto.com/collect...vitm-saddlebag

I'm debating whether to get the GL Mojavi or the Wolfman day trippers
The Wolfman daytrippers seem to hold a bit more and have lots of handy D ring fixing points. They're also ~$50 cheaper.
Only things I don't like is the fwd strap sits on the seat and they're not water proof or water resistant.

The Mojavi doesnt take up any seat area and is at least water resistant, but 10.5 liter total capacity isn't much.
If the capacity was closer to Wach's 15 liter estimate, that would swing it for me.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:05 AM   #144
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer: 1,086
This is a link to the current Giant Loop 2013 thread, for all the latest info on Giant Loop's Mojavi:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=854141
Closed Thread