User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2007, 01:47 PM   #1
RSL OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,360
R100RS fairing questions for those who know

The R100RS fairing is said by many to have been one of the best ever, comparatively free of turbulence and buffeting, and making for a stable high speed ride.

1. Is this true?

2. What design features make this fairing better than others?
RSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 02:52 PM   #2
jtwind
Wisconsin Airhead

Oddometer: 3,475
I had a 88 rs for a number of years. It is an amazing high speed cruiser. I know it would travel all day at 100 mph. Very stable (contributed downforce or something) and protective of the rider. In a rain storm my shoulders, helmet top and boots might get wet but for a long time that would be all. BUT! it's very noisey, the stock windshield sent a majority of the wind right at your helmet screen and made lots of noise. I tried lots of things to quiet it down, the best working and looking was a Secdem screen from France that had the same profile as stock but then a 3" tall flip up at the rear. The Parabellums might have been better, I never tried, they were just too ugly and half the reason I got an rs was because the fairing profile including the windshild lines were so beautiful.

Geez, that's got me thinking I want another. Except they did bring about a good backache after 4-5 hours riding. I'm told though that installing k75s bars could cure that and they still fit inside the fairing. JT

jtwind screwed with this post 06-18-2007 at 05:20 PM
jtwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 03:03 PM   #3
Solo Lobo
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 9,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwind
I'm told thought that installing k75s bars could cure that and they still fit inside the fairing. JT
+1 on the noise assessment... I installed K75S bars on my 1983 R100RS with no other changes and they did work very well... my second 1983 R100RS had the stock bars and they weren't as bad as I had remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
R65LazaruS
So I sold my GS and went shopping for a G/S!
Solo Lobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 04:10 PM   #4
sigpe57
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
Yes, I can say R100RS is the best touring fairing ever made. I have not find anything like it on the market yet. I had 3 of them. Keeping one. R100RS has less vibration than the R100RT. The fairing is designed to hide a human being completely behind. The new R1100RS's fairing is more designed for bike's aerodynamic than rider's. The R1100RS is stable but you are getting wind buffing all over your upper body. On a R100RS, you can wear t-shirt, going 90mph in the winter, no problem.
sigpe57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 05:02 PM   #5
opposedcyljunkie
Heavyweight Boxer

Oddometer: 4,776
There's some more info on a similar thread I started last week.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=239627
05 Yamaha Fazer FZS-1000
07 R1200GS
opposedcyljunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 05:03 PM   #6
RSL OP
Beastly Adventurer

Well, I hope you guys can offer some suggestions or information that will help me modify my R1100RS fairing to be more like the R100RS one. Seems to me, the newer bikes should be better then the older ones, but this has sadly not been the case. I did read, however, about somebody who put an RT screen on his R1100RS bike, and got excellent results in reducing noise and buffeting.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:27 AM   #7
FR700
Heckler™©®

Oddometer: 7,882
Old 06-19-2007, 07:50 AM   #8
RSL OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks for posting the picture of that beautiful bike.

I wonder if the strake below the main fairing is a secret to its success: I've read that part of the buffeting problem of many bikes is the stagnant airflow behind the front wheel/fender and in front of the engine. It builds and spills, builds and spills, and each time it spills, it flows up somewhat to try and fill the negative pressure bubble behind the windscreen. That pressure pulse is what we feel and hear in our helmets as buffeting, with amplified sound as the pressure pulse plays on helmet openings and gaps. Anyway, that strake may act as a flow fence to keep the buffeting pulse channeled away from the cockpit. On my '94 R1100RSL, there is less noise and buffeting when I have the GS handguards on, as those bulky things seem to impede air flow from curling up into my face, perhaps in a cruder but similar function to the R100RS strake.

The angle of the windscreen and upper fairing surely induces downforce on the bike, stabilizing it at speed. And, unlike many later screens and fairings, it is large enough to streamline the torso and head of most riders larger and taller than midgets.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:02 AM   #9
FR700
Heckler™©®

Oddometer: 7,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSL
The angle of the windscreen and upper fairing surely induces downforce on the bike, stabilizing it at speed. And, unlike many later screens and fairings, it is large enough to streamline the torso and head of most riders larger and taller than midgets.
Don't have the chart anymore ( it's on the web somewhere ) but the maximum downforce at top speed is about 70+lb .

If you sit on the bike and look at the fairing you'll see that it is shaped like a wedge .

Old 06-19-2007, 08:11 AM   #10
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 9,555
Thumb abalootly

...I had a '77 for about a year, I'll vouch for the protection.
I remember bringing it home one summer night over the local passes, tooly fog and darkness, feeling totally safe in my new cockpit, grinnin' from ear to ear.
Sad part is she expired in a head-on.

Want anudder one? Well here's anudder one just came up today...

Rapid Dog screwed with this post 12-03-2010 at 10:38 AM
Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 11:18 AM   #11
RSL OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Dog
Want anudder one? Well here's anudder one just came up today...
RDog, WHY do you tempt and torment me this way? I already have 2 Bimmers and a classic Trumpet, and now you bring this up. The family needs another car, and it's gonna be an absolute bitch to explain why this bike is more important. Thanks a LOT.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:26 AM   #12
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

pain...digit!

...oh hell, I torture myself everday with this krap...luckily he's asking too much and it's in Canukdia...

I know where there's one within 50 miles that's had all the era-mods for $3K....

arrrggghhhh!!!

Rapid Dog screwed with this post 06-19-2007 at 12:21 PM
Old 06-19-2007, 12:13 PM   #13
RSL OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Dog
...oh hell, I torture myself everday with this krap...luckily he ants too much and it's in Canukdia...

I know where there's one within 50 miles that's had all the era-mods for $3K....

arrrggghhhh!!!
Oh, yeah? And what part of the country would that be in?
Old 06-19-2007, 12:22 PM   #14
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

um...

...Ottawa exactly...

Old 06-19-2007, 12:26 PM   #15
Stephen
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSL
The R100RS fairing is said by many to have been one of the best ever, comparatively free of turbulence and buffeting, and making for a stable high speed ride.

1. Is this true?
In my opinion, yes.

Quote:
2. What design features make this fairing better than others?
Everything worked together just so. I rode one without the lowers; it sucked--hotter than with'em! I rode one with a tall screen; sucked--noisy and obnoxious.

Really an amazing bit of work. Somewhere around 95 mph, the bike would just kind of settle on its suspension, and an eerie quient would surround you as the road's shoulders went blurry and the speedo headed for 125... That was the RS's world, the little envelope of performance that was its own, the one in which it excelled.

And of course, it was a seminal bike, and lovely.

BTW, trim the lip off the screen and the buffeting goes away.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote