User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2014, 12:58 PM   #1
Natter2002 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Can I ride without mufflers?

Most childish of a question. 1976 r60, all stock, bing 53's. Will I ruin anything? Not saying I'll do this but right now they're off and it sounds kinda bad ass.

Edit: so I literally mean no exhaust after the footpeg
Natter2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 01:03 PM   #2
Mikehusa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
You can. But for how long? is the better question. Depending on how restrictive the mufflers you took off are its probably running too lean but how much is a guess.
Mikehusa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 01:23 PM   #3
warkshop
uncbob

Oddometer: 565
burnt valves are so much fun,,,or richen the carbies till it will live but will still run like crap,,,does it sound that good?
Old 08-18-2014, 02:15 PM   #4
B_C_Ries
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,630
Loud Pipes save lives, you will be awesome at the nearest biker bar. I have always been told you will burn up exhaust valves but I have never actually seen it happen
Old 08-18-2014, 02:20 PM   #5
richarddacat
helmet full of Blues

Oddometer: 3,166
Loud pipes annoy people, well designed helmets save lives.
IF Eric Clapton was God, Joe Bonamassa would be his Son.
richarddacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 02:21 PM   #6
spo123
Man About Town

Oddometer: 650
Sure!
What is the WORST that can happen?..........
Good luck.
Old 08-18-2014, 02:33 PM   #7
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,737
take videos
Old 08-18-2014, 02:39 PM   #8
Natter2002 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spo123 View Post
Sure!
What is the WORST that can happen?..........
Good luck.
Not sure what happens that's why I was wondering.
Old 08-18-2014, 02:47 PM   #9
Natter2002 OP
Adventurer

I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by richarddacat View Post
Loud pipes annoy people, well designed helmets save lives.
Yes I have an 883 iron the PO put straight short shot pipes on. I like to camp and I'm so embarrassed by how loud it is I can barely make myself ride through the peaceful settings to get to my site.

The post wasn't about if loud is cool, just if I want to ride around and be goofy with a loud old bike if I actually do harm. (To the bike). The old pipes are stock. They're just off as part of a tranny job and general clean up project. I intend to put them back on but indeed! I'll post some videos before I do that of it riding around.
Old 08-18-2014, 03:00 PM   #10
Big Bamboo
Aircooled & Sunbaked

Oddometer: 2,787
I pulled the mufflers off my R75/5 once, just to see how it would sound. Made it one time around the block and put them back on. The biggest problem was backfiring on deceleration...
Big Bamboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 03:16 PM   #11
chollo9
Screwed the Pooch

Oddometer: 1,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natter2002 View Post
Yes I have an 883 iron the PO put straight short shot pipes on. I like to camp and I'm so embarrassed by how loud it is I can barely make myself ride through the peaceful settings to get to my site.

The post wasn't about if loud is cool, just if I want to ride around and be goofy with a loud old bike . . .
Those people you rode past when you were camping are the same ones you'll be riding past now. I like to do goofy stuff, but I've tried to stop doing annoying stuff (except on this site).
Old 08-18-2014, 04:10 PM   #12
Natter2002 OP
Adventurer

Right. But I was asking about if it hurts the bike. It's a general question about all motors I suppose I can just ask a mechanic in general and determine what back pressure means and does for the system. An ironic thing is that it idles and revved and runs mint without the mufflers which makes me think the carbs are out of tune. Anyways here it is stationary:

http://youtu.be/vIVH2U6KdeU

Obviously I'm doing a lot of things wrong here, but I am not too concerned about that. Yup, I did notice what came out of the pipes when I first revved it up. All in all pretty neat.

Anyways....I'll post a video, for fun , of the bike riding on my property without mufflers.
Nate.
Old 08-18-2014, 04:14 PM   #13
nmalozzi
airheaded

Oddometer: 362
Quote:
Right. But I was asking about if it hurts the bike. It's a general question about all motors I suppose I can just ask a mechanic in general and determine what back pressure means and does for the system. An ironic thing is that it idles and revved and runs mint without the mufflers which makes me think the carbs are out of tune. Anyways here it is stationary:

Obviously I'm doing a lot of things wrong here, but I am not too concerned about that. Yup, I did notice what came out of the pipes when I first revved it up. All in all pretty neat.

Anyways....I'll post a video, for fun , of the bike riding on my property without mufflers.
Nate.
Ha! That's pretty much what mine sounds like WITH mufflers (17" shorty megaphones)!

video before getting it tuned in properly: http://instagram.com/p/qfqv9muEj1

Mixture screw helped with popping on decel, but I still hear some. I'm going to repack the mufflers this weekend and mod the outlet to create some more back pressure. Hopefully it will quite them down just a tad and take care of the remaining pops.
Old 08-18-2014, 04:21 PM   #14
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,227
The engine is tuned for a certain back pressure. That is a resistance to the gases that want to exit. This means it flows well with the cam and carb settings and the exhaust. Only a little less back pressure and you may compensate with richer mixtures. Too little back pressure and extra mixture won't help. The engine will lose power. I hear this often in crotch rockets on the street, loud but not a well tuned sound.

Along with the exhaust exiting the pipes there is a reverse flow of cold air back into the exhaust system. This is what burns the valves. Same thing happens with a broken exhaust pipe. Longer pipes with more bends in them will help but on motorcycles there is not much option to make the pipes longer.

It is not a good idea for the health of the engine and it is most definitely obnoxious. If you show up with open pipes at the Dairy Queen Friday night we will not let you park in front with us.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 04:23 PM   #15
JMforPres
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
Quote:

Nate.
I was replacing my timing chain and had the bike partly back together. It was running but timed very poorly and had headers only. I had a friend believing I had bought a HD Sportster based on the sound over the phone.

Jon
77 R100RS
"I picked up a nice burlap thong. It makes me feel pretty." - BluRidgeRider

JMforPres screwed with this post 08-18-2014 at 04:31 PM
JMforPres is online now   Reply With Quote