Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2014, 01:54 AM   #1
dalla OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
R2V engine in R51/3 frame

Hi Guys

I have found a R51/3 frame for sale. Now i am toying with the idea of building a low cost bobber. Does any of you guys know if it would be posssible to install a later Airhead engine in this frame. Maybe something like a R65 engine? Maybe cut down to clear the upper frame tube?

Also could you point me i direction to where i can buy shocks and other parts for a R51/3.

Any help/ideas are appreciated.

Kind regards
Dennis
dalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 04:48 AM   #2
spo123
Man About Town

Oddometer: 608
Cool2

Maybe you should post this on the Vintage BMW Motorcycle forum......Someone just MIGHT be looking for that particular frame.
Or don't.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:00 AM   #3
danedg
Horizontally Opposed

Oddometer: 5,930
Some sources

http://www.meyer-bikes.de/index.php?...atic&path=home
http://www.benchmarkworks.com/
https://bmwbike.com/index.php?l=english&n=1&c=13

What's the VIN on the frame? There really is an "orphan list". Somebody might just be holding on to the motor for that frame.
http://bmwvmca.org/joomla/index.php?...=317&Itemid=42

51/3's don't really have "shocks" or "suspension". They have "dampeners" , leather seals and a big spring under the seat...
A lot of folks have stuffed modern motors in /2 frames. Dealing with that /3 frame isn't going to be quick, easy or cheap...
'74 Guzzi Eldorado
'95 R100 Mystic

danedg screwed with this post 04-11-2014 at 11:11 AM
danedg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 11:11 AM   #4
Beemerguru
Beemerguru...G/S guy

Oddometer: 818
See if someone will trade you for a later model /2 frame. The /3 is worth more complete and the /2 gives you more options and includes a real 2 shock suspension.

Post to the Vintage BMW forum with the VIN..Collectors are always looking
Beemerguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 01:58 PM   #5
Biebs
BMW Airhead

Oddometer: 393
Pissed Sawzall

Sawzall will make a nice Honda 750 fit in that frame - convert to chain drive and you will have one sweet bike!!!

Do it then my R51/3 will be worth more $$$$ - another one bits the dust

Oh wait I don't have a R51/3 - Put down the sawzall.

really the /2 frames will take a newer engine flip the /3 frame for some $$$

is there a R51/3??? what year??? Look up years 1951 telescoping front forks?? Does the frame have sidecar lugs??

Looks like any airhead engine would fit this frame with some mods of course - Wikipedia is your friend.

Biebs screwed with this post 04-11-2014 at 03:44 PM
Biebs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 06:14 PM   #6
bmweuro
Mad Scientist

Oddometer: 3,282
You can stuff a post 70 motor and trans in that frame. You will need a /3 driveshaft and rear drive as well you will need to modify the transmission output flange for a /3 driveshaft which is something that Kevin Brooks should be able to do.

Start cutting
VBMWMO #7770, BMW MOA #48694 & Airhead BMW Club #600
bmweuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 08:49 PM   #7
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 7,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmweuro View Post
You can stuff a post 70 motor and trans in that frame. You will need a /3 driveshaft and rear drive as well you will need to modify the transmission output flange for a /3 driveshaft which is something that Kevin Brooks should be able to do.

Start cutting
That frame came with both the twin cam /2's and single cam /3's. Both engines used a two shaft transmission. All BMW's used a two shaft transmission until '55. Very important since the engine has always turned the same direction thusly the drive shaft turns one way out of a two shaft transmission and the other way out of a three shaft transmission. If you use a late model three shaft transmission with the plunger frame's final drive, you are going to go backwards when you let the clutch out since the plunger frame's final drive has the pinion gear on the opposite side of the ring gear compared to '55 on final drives. That's how pre and post '55 bikes both have engines that rotate the same direction and both move forward when you let the clutch out although one of them has a two shaft transmission and one of them has a three shaft transmission. The key is the final drives that have their pinion gears on opposite sides of the ring gear. Easily discernible just looking at them assembled. Be careful! A late engine and tranny in a plunger frame will have four or five speeds of backwards!!!! Not good in my book!
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote