Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2008, 05:45 PM   #661
Pacer
Adventurer of sorts

Oddometer: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXASYETI
Pacer, more pics please! That is one fine machine and I really like the rear subframe modifications. The way you hung the silencers is very trick. More pics, a little story about the project......

Thank you Yeti, it has been a ton of work, but very rewarding work, the bike runs so strong now.

I have seen a picture of another of Jim's bikes and it had a very similar sub frame, so maybe he had a jig that he used to make that up or maybe he had another source for them, dun-no. It is very nicely made, really clean welds. The exhaust would be very easy to mount high as well.

Thats enough for today, I'll answer any questions I can to the best of my ability, thank Y'all for your patience.

Off to ride the thing in the morning
Attached Images

Pacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 06:38 AM   #662
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacer
Jim left the driveshaft alone and lengthened the bell to accommodate the extra distance. This was done so that if for what ever reason the driveshaft broke or needed replacing it could be done so with factory parts.

Obviously one has to make the swingarm longer, but you are saying he just made #6 longer by 3"? This is a 90/6 shaft, right?

Also- is it an optical illusion, or do the rear shocks tend to converge at the top?
Old 06-29-2008, 07:25 AM   #663
notarex
Can U taste the waste?

Oddometer: 1,213
Pacer- Thanks for the info . I too have a perfectly good DR650 that will be sold at one point to fund an airhead project of my own. I cannot resist the call of the Frankenbeemer .

1963 CA95

2006 RUCKUS

To boldly go where no Ruckus has gone before...
notarex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 09:37 AM   #664
Pacer
Adventurer of sorts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand

Obviously one has to make the swingarm longer, but you are saying he just made #6 longer by 3"? This is a 90/6 shaft, right?

Also- is it an optical illusion, or do the rear shocks tend to converge at the top?

That is correct as I understand it.

And yes, the rear shocks do lean in to each other at the top. This design concerned me at first, but they do not bind throughout their range of motion. The bike is very stable.
Attached Images

'74 r100/?
'89 FJ62
'02 325xiT
Old 07-02-2008, 02:59 AM   #665
S2W
I said wax ON you idiot!

Oddometer: 3,351
S2W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 09:03 AM   #666
2xdisco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 220
has anyone ever made a gs out of a street version airhead, basically a dual shock at close to standard g/s, gs hight? i have looked though this section and only found highly modified bikes. i am looking at doing a r100rt or something like it, and lifting it up to make a shorter version of the hpn bikes, like 8"+ in of travel not 11". if anyone has done this Please send my a photo, and anything to what out for when building this bike.

thanks
jim
98 vtr1000 superhawk (fun)sold
2xdisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 01:53 PM   #667
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xdisco
has anyone ever made a gs out of a street version airhead, basically a dual shock at close to standard g/s, gs hight? i have looked though this section and only found highly modified bikes. i am looking at doing a r100rt or something like it, and lifting it up to make a shorter version of the hpn bikes, like 8"+ in of travel not 11". if anyone has done this Please send my a photo, and anything to what out for when building this bike.

thanks
jim
That sounds interesting and do-able. A competent dirt bike (depending on where you want to take it) doesn't have to be all that specialized. Look what people did with standard bikes all the way up through the 60s and into the 70s (I know what I did with/to them )

The front end is a blank slate to go as mild or wild as you want with front end swaps. The rear could be made quite adequate with some drive shaft extension and the right combo of shocks and maybe modified mounting points to get everything "just right". Extending the swingarm is a great multiplier fo travel at the axle where it counts.

Just as a reference point for mental design exercises, my F 650 Funduro boasts 6.69" / 170mm front travel and 6.5" / 165mm rear travel. Ground clearance is 7.09" in normal laden position. While its not a dirt monster, it's adequate for doing whatever big dual sports want to do offroad - as long as you don't have to pick it up more than a few times per day. (actually once per day with help is close to my personal limit) So if you can meet or better yet exceed these dimensions you are in good shape.

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 03:42 PM   #668
johno
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,911
Didnt you blokes read this page properly??
Read the reply by pacer near the top of the page. R90/6 frame, R100 bits etc.
Anything is possible.
Old 07-03-2008, 06:20 PM   #669
2xdisco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 220
ye i read it, those are cool but for practical reasons, doing a slight modified airhead is do-able getting into re-engineering a bike has its reliable down falls, stress in area, part reliable issues because so much of it is hand made or scavenged. i am interested in making a g/s out of road bike, using many of the same parts only modifying were needed. i.e. (out the of the box the front-end), the rear end on the rt, rs ect. have the same dimensions as the g/s just different susp. mounting. so my theory is put a dirt bike front end with 21 in. tire, shorted to the ride height to match the rear. the rear move the mounts on susp. , take measurement and find susp pieces(shock). and walla custom g/s. and customize the rear frame if necessary. just seeing if anyone else has done it before and would share there insight.

jim
98 vtr1000 superhawk (fun)sold
2xdisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 08:53 PM   #670
johno
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,911
I think the original G/S forebearer was based aroiund an R65, so what you are asking is very possible.
Using standard Bemmer parts has got to make repairs much easier.
Old 07-04-2008, 01:56 AM   #671
zenben
all roads are one

Oddometer: 595
Temporarily down for seals and head work, but should be up again in a week:
zenben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 05:23 AM   #672
muschelschubser
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
My interpretion of Dirt(y) Bike:
Richard Hoffmann (*1938 ),
muschelschubser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 06:38 AM   #673
Pacer
Adventurer of sorts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xdisco

thanks
jim
Airheads tend to have 7+ inches of front fork travel from the factory, toss some 606s on it and ride the dirt.
Yes, this has been done, the BMW ST is basically a street tuned GS with a 19" front wheel....
'74 r100/?
'89 FJ62
'02 325xiT
Old 07-04-2008, 07:39 AM   #674
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacer
Airheads tend to have 7+ inches of front fork travel from the factory, toss some 606s on it and ride the dirt.
Yes, this has been done, the BMW ST is basically a street tuned GS with a 19" front wheel....
Yep. My ST only gives up one inch of travel at either end to the G/S and has a deeper sump which lessens ground clearance (I'd rather have the extra oil). The only thing it needs for more offroad work might be stiffer front springs and different tires.

But back to the proposition at hand - an RT type bike into an offroader - Sure, why not. Not to be glib, but any bike is a dirt bike once you leave the pavement. Build it the way you want and go out and enjoy it.

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 09:30 AM   #675
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 8,020
RT into GS

Hey, the airhead frames all have the same geometry from 74 to 95 - GS and G/S included. The late 70s factory dual sports were made from stock street bikes. All it really takes is bracing the frame, and changing the suspension. Perhaps the exhaust. It's been done lotsa times and there are quite a few examples in old Skool, but don't know where to point you. They could even be in this thread somewhere.