Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2010, 09:24 AM   #16
wallache
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
I've been wanting to get a set for sometime now, but the website says the 18" type only goes to a 2.15" rim width. Has anybody tried it on a 2.5" rim, or know when Nuetech will have one available?
wallache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 09:46 AM   #17
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusker
So you're saying that if one were to get a hole in the inner tube, you could replace it with a standard bicycle tube and it'd be fine? I haven't laid eyes on one of these tubliss tubes, but it doesn't seem like it'd work. How would you inflate the tire if the inner tube didn't have a secondary valve integrated into it to allow air to pass through the inner tube and into the tire? I figured the tubliss came as one unit, not a multi-part tube.
Check out their website and video to see the actual system.

There is a special liner, in which you place a thin high pressure inner tube. AFAIK they used to use road bicycle inner tubes.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:49 AM   #18
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,468
BMW Atlanta, do you know which tube is a direct replacement for the Nuetech? I work part time at a bicycle shop, and while the pneumatic tube in the inner liner looks quite similar to a heavy duty tube at the bike shop, the size seems a bit unique. One other issue is that most of the bicycle tubes in this diameter...tube material diameter, not the rim diameter...use a presta valve not a schrader valve. I'm not saying there's nothing out there for a replacement, but I'm not sure it's a direct replacement.

I don't think the inner liner high pressure tube is in a very hazardous position. You've got the supplied heavy duty rim tape on one side and the hard shell plastic bead clamp on the other. A very long nail at just the right angle could/might penetrate the hard shell and then puncture the tube, but it's not a likely scenario. I don't think there's much question that about the only time the inner liner tube is punctured is during improper installation or the pressure isn't checked in a timely manner.

Tusker, on the composition of the hard shell, the air valve, and the inner liner tube, the inner liner tube actually just "snakes" around the valve that inflates the air chamber of the tire itself. Sounds odd but not a problem.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 10:07 AM   #19
Tusker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM
Check out their website and video to see the actual system.

There is a special liner, in which you place a thin high pressure inner tube. AFAIK they used to use road bicycle inner tubes.
I actually did look at their website and they list replacement inner tubes, so they're obviously replaceable. I wasn't so much questioning BMW Atlanta's statement as just confirming, with some of my thoughts thrown in for the heck of it. Glad to see I was proven wrong.

Ethiopia Trip 2010
Tusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 10:13 AM   #20
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,237
I am following this thread - but a few thoughts on some of the questions/reservations:

1) Whether the Tubliss tube is a bicycle inner tube or not, those tubes are a lot lighter, smaller and easier to carry as a spare than a conventional motorcycle tube. If I was going somewhere in BFE, I would carry that spare as it would not be that big of a deal. Yeah, bicycle inner tubes may actually be easier to find in the third world because there are a lot more bicycles there actually being used as transportation, but ROI on carrying such a small light spare would make it worth it.

2) Bicycle inner tubes come in 'heavy duty' too.

3) There are valve adapters.
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 11:12 AM   #21
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

A question: since the Tubliss system seals the tire to the rim, are rimlocks still needed?
Old 03-19-2010, 11:16 AM   #22
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMonkee
I am following this thread - but a few thoughts on some of the questions/reservations:

1) Whether the Tubliss tube is a bicycle inner tube or not, those tubes are a lot lighter, smaller and easier to carry as a spare than a conventional motorcycle tube. If I was going somewhere in BFE, I would carry that spare as it would not be that big of a deal. Yeah, bicycle inner tubes may actually be easier to find in the third world because there are a lot more bicycles there actually being used as transportation, but ROI on carrying such a small light spare would make it worth it.

2) Bicycle inner tubes come in 'heavy duty' too.

3) There are valve adapters.
Code, the puncture potential is really with the tire. Just about every inner liner failure I've seen/heard about involves installation or not keeping the inner liner pressure checked. In the field if I had a inner liner failure/puncture, getting the old tube and the plastic shell off won't be hard. Doing a clean, non-puncture installation of the inner liner will be more of a challenge with the tools you usually have on the bike. I'd just pull the whole inner liner and zip tie it to the handlebar and install the spare tube that you should probably have no matter what tire system you have.

Look...I think we're really looking at a belt-and-suspenders kind of panacea here, and with rubber tires that have air in them, it's an impossibility. On the other hand, this Nuetech system is pretty darned easy for the apparent benefit and reliability. The complaints and gnashing of teeth are almost always connected with the installation process. I think installation is relatively simple and straight forward, but many, many folks have trouble even changing a normal tubed setup tire. I'm not saying this to demean anyone...just pointing out why installation causes heartburn for many.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 01:40 PM   #23
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC
In the field if I had a inner liner failure/puncture, getting the old tube and the plastic shell off won't be hard. Doing a clean, non-puncture installation of the inner liner will be more of a challenge with the tools you usually have on the bike. I'd just pull the whole inner liner and zip tie it to the handlebar and install the spare tube that you should probably have no matter what tire system you have.
I was thinking more along the lines of being literally in a third world country and less about an expedient field repair. I agree that it sounds like the Tubliss system is the way to go either way, I was just hypothesizing on what spare to carry if you weren't in a first world country.

I am probably going to try the Tubliss system on the rear pretty soon as I will need a new tire in the near future and that is as good a time to install it as any. Now I am just wondering if I can run a Dunlop 803 Trials tire on the pavement for the 15 miles I have to ride my bike to get to the trails.
Old 03-19-2010, 03:23 PM   #24
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

BTW - came across this image elsewhere. Thought it might help those trying to visualize how the tube is in relation to the protection of the tube.

Old 03-19-2010, 04:35 PM   #25
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
You guys are funny... here, watch the video and 99% of your questions will be answered

I'm going to run the TUBlis system on my SE this year for the Paris to Dacre, so I'll give you guys a report of how it did. I've been running Tennis balls in the front with great results, so I'm looking forward to seeing how it works.

crankshaft screwed with this post 03-19-2010 at 06:26 PM
crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 04:39 PM   #26
Tusker
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft
I've been running Tennis balls in the front with great results, so I'm looking forward to seeing how it works.
You're running actual tennis balls, or tire balls? tennis balls would sure be a cheaper alternative, I'd think, although I haven't priced them.

Ethiopia Trip 2010
Old 03-19-2010, 06:15 PM   #27
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,419
tubliss seems great for lighter dirtbikes.

doesn't it only inflate the tire to 10-12psi? that would quickly kill a dual sport tire with any sort of hiway/paved time, no? what about dual sport loaded down w/ gear?
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 06:24 PM   #28
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusker
You're running actual tennis balls, or tire balls? tennis balls would sure be a cheaper alternative, I'd think, although I haven't priced them.
Tennis balls, yes Mounted on the old SE and run up to 100 MPH and many miles of nasty trails. Not DOT also.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:28 PM   #29
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,478
With 110 psi in the tubliss tube and 12 psi in the tire, I've run 60 mph for two hours on pavement with no problems. The tire runs quite a bit cooler without a conventional tube in it. I live in a "third world" country and only carry a tire plug kit now. Plan to buy a suitable pump in the states in April when I visit there and also pick up a pair of replacement tubliss tubes.

My tires have stiff sidewalls, Maxxis IT Desert front and rear. I think even if they were to go flat, I could still ride on provided the tubliss tube still had pressure. I can't imagine how the tubliss tube could be punctured unless it was incorrectly installed to begin with.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:42 PM   #30
Tusker
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft
Tennis balls, yes Mounted on the old SE and run up to 100 MPH and many miles of nasty trails. Not DOT also.
Sweet! I think I'll give it a try. How many balls does it take to fill a front tire?

Ethiopia Trip 2010