Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2013, 09:25 AM   #391
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by 955616846 View Post
One or the other...

Running sealant is not such a flash idea if a tyre ever needs to be repaired.
If using Slime I would agree. However, something like Stan's sealant is relatively clean and at least equal to or better than Slime. I've used both in my Tubliss setup. Cleanup when changing to a new tire was messy with the Slime and not with the Stan's. If I didn't use sealant, I've had numerous situations where I would have had a flat without it...a nail, wire, mesquite thorns, etc. In the case of the nail incident, I plugged the hole when I pulled out the nail, but amazingly the sealant seemed to seal the hole. I went ahead and plugged the spot with a common string plug just to insure the fix. I ran that tire until it was toast.
TNC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:42 AM   #392
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer: 1,881
I actually use a homebrew sealant composed of latex mold builder, Slime, antifreeze and water. Similar to, but better than Stan's NoTubes sealant. I had a nail puncture a while back - the sealant held air pressure after pulling the nail, but I kept having a persistent wet spot there. Put a string in it, and it's all dry.

This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic. (Originally Posted by Human Ills, 7/1/14)
Wadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:15 PM   #393
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
One or the other...

Running sealant is not such a flash idea if a tyre ever needs to be repaired.
This is a non-issue these days, there are a few choices other than Slime that are water soluble such as Stan's or Ride-On.

http://www.ride-on.com/motorcycle-formula-mot.html
UtahFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:57 PM   #394
milzispete
Conquistador

Oddometer: 262
Quote:
Did I mention Slime? Maybe someone would like to quote the relevant text and highlight that word.

Any sealant worth the name should be able to seal a nail hole.. .It is the bigger holes that require patching or a tube that become a problem.
I suppose you all carry enough water to clean the >insert favourite brand of snot< out of the tyre when a larger repair is required.

We are talking about running a tubliss on dualsport bikes right ?
The advantages are vastly reduced chance of pinch flats and sealant can be used to fix against nail/wire/thorns if you wish to use it. Another advantage of sealant would be dynamic balancing of your wheel meaning no more mega weights to offset the rim lock

I'm struggling to find a downside vs a tube set up here.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:42 AM   #395
seabee1
we build, we fight

Oddometer: 2,478
you can run a sealant if you want to with the tubliss system, but really, all you need is a plug kit and a mini compressor.

another advantage of the tubliss is running crazy low pressures for great traction. just watch out for dinging your rims.

www.dehmotorcycle.com
Motorcycle storage with a personal touch
seabee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:46 PM   #396
TNC
Candyass Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabee1 View Post
you can run a sealant if you want to with the tubliss system, but really, all you need is a plug kit and a mini compressor.

another advantage of the tubliss is running crazy low pressures for great traction. just watch out for dinging your rims.
So...you're "that guy". You know...that guy everyone else who has sealant in their Tubliss setup has to wait on while he plugs his tire.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:07 PM   #397
seabee1
we build, we fight

Oddometer: 2,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
So...you're "that guy". You know...that guy everyone else who has sealant in their Tubliss setup has to wait on while he plugs his tire.
yep. that's me. i've only had to plug a tire twice in the last four years of riding. if that's an inconvinience for you, don't go riding with me!

once you start changing your own tires, you'll appreciate not having sealant in there. water clean up or no, it's still a mess.

ymmv

www.dehmotorcycle.com
Motorcycle storage with a personal touch
seabee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:51 PM   #398
TNC
Candyass Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabee1 View Post
yep. that's me. i've only had to plug a tire twice in the last four years of riding. if that's an inconvinience for you, don't go riding with me!

once you start changing your own tires, you'll appreciate not having sealant in there. water clean up or no, it's still a mess.

ymmv
"Once I start changing my own tires?"...LOL! No, I've been changing my own tires for over 40 years...and a lot of tires for others when I worked part time at a motorcycle shop for 15 years to pay for some of my nasty 2-wheel habits.

But seriously, I mentioned Stan's because the stuff really works, and you don't get the goshawful mess that you do with something like Slime. I've been using it in my dirtbike tires for about 3.5 years now and way longer in mountainbike tires. For something that really seals a hole, it is amazingly clean stuff. I agree that because of the way the inner liner seals the tire bead, a plug fix works wonders on the trail because you don't have to worry about a quick, high volume air supply to seat the bead. Still, when I've changed the many tires over that 3.5 year period on my dirt bike, I've almost always found things stuck in the tire that probably would have yielded a needed fix in the field. It's nice to keep on riding.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:00 AM   #399
DuncR6
n00b

Oddometer: 3
I just wanted to say thanks to all that have posted in here. I was fairly sold on the Tubliss, and but it helped a lot to read this entire thread. I also liked the Tubliss Long Term Review thread here. Finally pulled the trigger and bought some myself yesterday. Can't wait to try them out and post anything additional here to help others in the future.
DuncR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:19 PM   #400
Capt. Egregious
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
Well, my experience with Tubilss started off very well. The first year they worked great. Fantastic traction with out the worry of flat problems. Ran them on my XRR and my 300 with no issues. After around a year the red liner broke down and ruptured the inner bladder on both bikes. So you should watch the liner and bladders for wear after you put some miles on em. Now running double rim locks and HD tubes on the XRR and double rim locks with bibs on the 300.
Capt. Egregious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 07:26 AM   #401
XFanMan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Egregious View Post
Well, my experience with Tubilss started off very well. The first year they worked great. Fantastic traction with out the worry of flat problems. Ran them on my XRR and my 300 with no issues. After around a year the red liner broke down and ruptured the inner bladder on both bikes. So you should watch the liner and bladders for wear after you put some miles on em. Now running double rim locks and HD tubes on the XRR and double rim locks with bibs on the 300.
Was this the first version or the current Gen 2 version? They've apparently made some changes due to this issue is my understanding.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:17 AM   #402
davesupreme
grand poobah

Oddometer: 1,458
I've got it on the front of my KTM, and so far(about 5 rides), I really like it... 9lbs for dual sport, 7-8lbs in only fla. sandy dirt... Maxxis Desert IT front....
davesupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 09:33 AM   #403
TNC
Candyass Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Egregious View Post
That's interesting on the relatively quick death of the red, hard liner. It took 4 years on the rear wheel of my KLX300 before I noticed a breaking down on the liner after many tire changes. I'm still running the original front red liner. I think the rear takes the most abuse, for obvious reasons. On the small, inflatable, inner tube, I had missed the recommendation that you change the inner tube every year or so. I got over 3 years on the rear inner tube before I read about that recommendation, and out of guilt I went ahead and changed it.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:48 AM   #404
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,712
Just ordered a set of Tubliss for my Berg390. We'll see how it gets along.

I'll be running it on a fresh set of Maxxis Maxcross IT tires, which have a fairly strong sidewall. Really like those tires, by the way. Good traction, long wearing, and reasonable cheap.....in the $70+ range from Rocky Mountain ATV

HF
Athena Big Bore Project
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 03:19 PM   #405
FamilyRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
I now use TUbliss on all of my bikes. They are not DOT approved, but I feel pretty safe with them since they reduce heat buildup by not having a tube rubbing against the tire.

I recently started using Quadboss Dirt Bike Sealant. It is much thicker than some of the other brands and I think it will work really well on a dirt bike tire. It is also easy to clean out with water.

Ride-On has a sealant/balancer, but it doesn't coat the side walls of the tire.

I balance my tires and it takes a lot of weight to counteract the weight of the rim lock on the TUbliss system. I don't think Ride-On has enough mass to fully balance a tire with TUbliss insert.

Slavens Racing has a good video on how to remove a tire with a TUbliss insert. I suspect that many TUbliss failures are due to improper tire removal, which tears the TUbliss bead.