Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2010, 07:09 PM   #31
kta
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 576
I see a lot of pros in this thread, and it looks like there are positive experiences.

I hadn't thought about the bent rim issue. Honestly - I put bends in my rim far more often then I get flats (even pinch flats). If I bend my rim I'd be eff'd. Just seems like the benefits are marginal - if I'm in the middle of Baja I don't want to run a flat for 300 miles. I can patch a tube in 10 minutes without taking the wheel off the bike - ya know?

I suppose it doesn't matter much either way. Ride on!
kta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 07:54 PM   #32
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins
tubliss seems great for lighter dirtbikes.

doesn't it only inflate the tire to 10-12psi? that would quickly kill a dual sport tire with any sort of hiway/paved time, no? what about dual sport loaded down w/ gear?
eakins, the tire can be run at just about any pressure you'd want to run it, just like a tube. Bead integrity is way stouter than with a tube, so you can run whatever pressure suits you...within the laws of physics, of course.

I think the lower pressures mentioned on this thread have just been more for the benefit of off road.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 08:54 PM   #33
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusker
Sweet! I think I'll give it a try. How many balls does it take to fill a front tire?
27 in the front.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:04 PM   #34
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,548
I ride into topes and large potholes every day at speeds up to 60 mph with 12 PSI.
No bent rims here yet. Stock OEM rims.
Maybe if I weighed 220 lbs, I could bend some rims, but at 160 on a 300 lb bike, this hasn't been a problem.
Kiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 02:46 AM   #35
RoberTx
Blind man ridin'

Oddometer: 282
The small tube that the Tubeliss system uses can go flat and needs 100psi to do its job. Where are you gonna get 100psi in the weeds?
RoberTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 04:42 AM   #36
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoberTx
The small tube that the Tubeliss system uses can go flat and needs 100psi to do its job. Where are you gonna get 100psi in the weeds?
From a hand held pump that weighs about 200 grams.
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 06:42 AM   #37
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,548
When I was running with tubes in my tires, I've had two pinch flats running down the highway at 60 mph on the front wheel and almost got jammed up bad each time.

Another time I had three flats with a tube in one day and ended up riding the last hour in the dark until I hit a dog here in Mexico. Major damage to me and the bike.

With tubliss I really don't worry about those kinds of problems anymore. If you like to ride off road a lot, you just can't go wrong with lower pressure in your tires like the tubliss system offers. Tons of confidence in riding faster with the increased traction.
Kiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 06:47 AM   #38
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoberTx
The same pump that the cyclists use when they get a flat. If you notice, small hand held pumps are usually high pressure and low volume unless you get a dual acting pump which has a longer stroke producing more volume.

Old 03-20-2010, 07:01 AM   #39
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,175
Yep, 100psi is no problem. My road bike takes 140psi and its a very quick and easy thing to achieve with a mini-pump:)

The tublis thing sounds interesting. I'll have to have a closer look when I have more time, I don't really know how it works.

Re running flat with a tube, you can go quite a long ways at speed with no air provided you've got a couple of proper rimlocks. I even had a flat rear at Budd's Creek on the MX bike and ran half a dozen laps or so like that without loosing any spots. Still did all the jumps etc. Tire stayed put on the rim just fine.

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 07:23 AM   #40
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,515
Bike Pilot, on that run flat deal, I notice that Motocross Action had been testing Nuetech Tubliss for quite some time, and one tester finished a race on a flat that he never even realized he had until he rolled into the pits. While I would probably just stick my emergency tube in there if I had a flat out in the boonies on some epic ride, it's nice to know that the bead clamping integrity with that inner liner is stout enough to ride for some time on a flat.

I know I must sound like a stock holder in the Nuetech outfit, but frankly there's a reason that just about everyone else has moved on from tubes...motor vehicles, mountainbikes, roadbikes, ATV/UTV's, road motorcycles...hell...even lawn tractors and wheelbarrows. I'm glad to be rid of them except for the one I carry in cases of extreme emergency. I hope the sucker wears out in my rack bag.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 08:11 AM   #41
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,354
What size bicycle tube for an 18" rim? My local bicycle shop doesn't stock 18" tubes.
And by the way Trials riders routinely plug their tubeless rear tires and ride them in the rocks at 4PSI without problems.
lamotovita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 08:30 AM   #42
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,354
So last night I installed 27 tennis balls in my front tire. This morning I got geared up for a ride, but when I went out to the shed to get my bike I found that my dog had smelled the tennis balls inside the tire and chewed the tire in half so he could play ball. I guess I'm gonna have to keep him on a shorter chain.
lamotovita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 09:01 AM   #43
The Jester
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamotovita
So last night I installed 27 tennis balls in my front tire. This morning I got geared up for a ride, but when I went out to the shed to get my bike I found that my dog had smelled the tennis balls inside the tire and chewed the tire in half so he could play ball. I guess I'm gonna have to keep him on a shorter chain.

Your dog must have some teeth. Just don't keep a tennis ball in your pocket. That could hurt!

T-lock Concept is similar to tubliss but cheaper. I think I prefer the tubliss inflation method though.

The Jester is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 09:03 AM   #44
oregoncoast
Racing Like a Noob

Oddometer: 4,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by kta
I see a lot of pros in this thread, and it looks like there are positive experiences.

I hadn't thought about the bent rim issue. Honestly - I put bends in my rim far more often then I get flats (even pinch flats). If I bend my rim I'd be eff'd. Just seems like the benefits are marginal - if I'm in the middle of Baja I don't want to run a flat for 300 miles. I can patch a tube in 10 minutes without taking the wheel off the bike - ya know?

I suppose it doesn't matter much either way. Ride on!
Lurking for a bit....it is obvious that some are very much against the whole idea of the tubliss system even with never having tried it or ridden with someone using it. I have had mine on for several months and have raced cross country, gone down the highway at 70 mph, ridden on dirt, gravel, sand, mud, whoops, jumps, etc. It just works.

I also had no problem with installation, although my friend with far-superior mechanical skills had some issues. YMMV

As far as bent rims, the design of the Tubliss system helps to prevent bent rims, because the side wall of the tire is "glued" to the rim. I am currently running a pretty stiff walled Maxxis IT and my friend is running a stiffer Desert IT. I can say that I have hit some nasty roots/rocks that should have bent the crap out of the rims...but they did not bend.

You can never prepare for every contingency..but for long trips in the boonies, I would simply carry a tube if plugs would not work (BTW, I have run plugs in my v-strom tire for hundreds of miles and have complete confidence in their use.)

Here's a break down, and I am not trying to convince anyone of this, just stating an opinion:

I believe the Tubliss system just works...it is one of those great after market products that does what it says it will do.

And what it does is allows you to run extremely low tire pressures while eliminating the chance of pinch flats. Which in off-road riding is the number one type of flat. I ran a race with about 10psi in the back tire, traction was great..and actually with the Maxxis, I bet I could run the race flat because of the stiffness of the sidewall and how the tubliss works.

Changing tires is also a lot easier..because there is no valve stem to mess with. I suck at mounting dirt bike tires and it only takes me about 10 minutes to do a tire swap...15 minutes if I'm drinking a beer..with the Tubliss.

So....If you love patching tubes, or don't feel the need to run low tire pressures, then by all means, DO NOT BUY the Tubliss system, because you will see no benefits. But if you are like me and hate fixing flats along the trail, hate switching out tires, and love to run lower tire pressures for added traction without a high risk of rim damage or pinch flats, than you may want to give the Tubliss system a try.

And as for the Baja example....I would bet that most flats in that race, or any desert race, are pinch flats. So, you would not have to lose 10 minutes patching a tube, because you would not have a flat in the first place. It would take a long nail inserted at the correct position to flatten the inner tube of the Tubliss. Could it happen? You bet. Is it likely. NO. If it does, rip off the tubliss, throw in your spare tube and be on your way.

My racing partner and I basically strong-armed one of our riding buddies to buy the tubliss because nearly every ride he was getting pinch flats and we would have to wait for him to fix them. Me personally, I love the damn things....but I gotta say, that whole tennis ball idea has some merit too

If you look closely in this picture, you'll see those are Tubliss front and rear
oregoncoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 03:32 PM   #45
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamotovita

My buddy has a Pit and I'm willing to bet she could chew through a tire
The question is.... did the tire go flat