Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2010, 04:02 PM   #46
kta
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 576
The tennis balls are a clever idea, and I believe that's where the Tire Balls guy got his idea.

Does the bead seat well with the balls in there? Can any dirt/sand/water make it's way in in certain situations?
kta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 09:29 AM   #47
kthpick OP
super mario

Oddometer: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by kta
The tennis balls are a clever idea, and I believe that's where the Tire Balls guy got his idea.

Does the bead seat well with the balls in there? Can any dirt/sand/water make it's way in in certain situations?
How well would tennis balls work going down the highway? Do you need extra beadlocks?

“When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.” –Thomas Jefferson

"And in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."-Abraham Lincoln
kthpick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 06:21 AM   #48
Tusker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthpick
How well would tennis balls work going down the highway? Do you need extra beadlocks?

Can't exactly comment on this, cause I've never tried it, so take this for what it's worth.

I'd imagine you wouldn't need rimlocks on a front with tennis balls because you're not going to be worried about ripping the stem out of your tube since you don't have one in there. Of course, if the tube is too loose on the rim, you may run the risk of ruining the front tire from wear on the rim. I guess it all depends on how tight the balls hold the tire to the rim. I'd actually like to hear what Crankshaft has to say about this one.

Ethiopia Trip 2010
Tusker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 08:35 AM   #49
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamotovita
What size bicycle tube for an 18" rim? My local bicycle shop doesn't stock 18" tubes.
And by the way Trials riders routinely plug their tubeless rear tires and ride them in the rocks at 4PSI without problems.

Why bother the Tubliss replacement tubes are like $9, just order them direct.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 09:51 AM   #50
kthpick OP
super mario

There seems to be alot more pros than cons to running the TUbliss setup on a Dualsport/Adventure bike. Is there anyone who has had them on their bike that has had a bad experience? I think my mind is already made up though!

“When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.” –Thomas Jefferson

"And in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."-Abraham Lincoln
Old 03-22-2010, 10:18 AM   #51
Some Dude
what attitude problem???

Oddometer: 4,691
I've had a buddy slice the sidewall of his front tire with the Tubliss installed, but he shouldn't have been running 8psi (or less) running through rock gardens like DKnight either. Was still able to ride out without any further damage, but had to behave the rest of the way with no air protecting the rim.

Other then that it's all positive in my book. He shouldn't have been running that low of a PSI in that type of terrain and the Tubliss would have been just fine.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:19 AM   #52
oregoncoast
Racing Like a Noob

Oddometer: 4,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Atlanta
I've had a buddy slice the sidewall of his front tire with the Tubliss installed, but he shouldn't have been running 8psi (or less) running through rock gardens like DKnight either. Was still able to ride out without any further damage, but had to behave the rest of the way with no air protecting the rim.

Other then that it's all positive in my book. He shouldn't have been running that low of a PSI in that type of terrain and the Tubliss would have been just fine.
If he had a tube, would he still have been able to ride it out?
oregoncoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:36 AM   #53
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusker
Can't exactly comment on this, cause I've never tried it, so take this for what it's worth.

I'd imagine you wouldn't need rimlocks on a front with tennis balls because you're not going to be worried about ripping the stem out of your tube since you don't have one in there. Of course, if the tube is too loose on the rim, you may run the risk of ruining the front tire from wear on the rim. I guess it all depends on how tight the balls hold the tire to the rim. I'd actually like to hear what Crankshaft has to say about this one.
I still use rim locks to keep the tire planted on the rim. The only thing you need to be concerned with is higher heat just like the tire balls, but I think talc should help that problem. I've ridden the road with the tennis balls but I was touring, just trail hopping. Do also keep in mind that I was riding a 450 lb Super Enduro on knarly water bar infested tight double track and the balls worked great. The fit is very tight and you'll need to figure out how to mount them, because I'm not letting the ct out of the bag.

I figure if you're that determined to figure it out, then you understand that you're on your own when running them. Probably wouldn't be a good idea for touring but great for trail banging.
Old 03-22-2010, 02:55 PM   #54
tstick14
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
why the balls?

I'm having a blonde moment... why are people using the tennis balls?
tstick14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 03:29 PM   #55
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstick14
I'm having a blonde moment... why are people using the tennis balls?
The lord came to me in a dream one night and I had a tennis ball under my pillow.... I suppose the dog could have left it but its not a very dramatic story.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:57 PM   #56
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,304
I just ordered a Tubliss and Pirelli MT43 for the rear.

Gonna go out tomorrow and try to wear out my knobby.
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 10:08 PM   #57
kthpick OP
super mario

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMonkee
I just ordered a Tubliss and Pirelli MT43 for the rear.

Gonna go out tomorrow and try to wear out my knobby.
Sweet, give us a report once you get it all mounted up and tested!

Old 03-24-2010, 06:53 AM   #58
Some Dude
what attitude problem???

Oddometer: 4,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft
The lord came to me in a dream one night and I had a tennis ball under my pillow.... I suppose the dog could have left it but its not a very dramatic story.

I have visions of your cousin chucking tennis balls at you in your tent in the middle of the night being the real story
Old 03-24-2010, 07:04 AM   #59
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthpick
Sweet, give us a report once you get it all mounted up and tested!
I'll let Jeff do the mounting. I'll do the testing.

The MT43 is not as good as the Dunlop 803, but the latter just won't work on pavement. Maybe someday I will find a job, get a truck, and put a real trials tire on the bike, but until then I will make do with the DOT trials tire.
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 01:42 PM   #60
The Jester
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMonkee
I'll let Jeff do the mounting. I'll do the testing.

The MT43 is not as good as the Dunlop 803, but the latter just won't work on pavement. Maybe someday I will find a job, get a truck, and put a real trials tire on the bike, but until then I will make do with the DOT trials tire.
Not much wrong with the MT43. Practically everybody uses them in my part of the world. I even rode through France to Spain then over a whole heap of mountains with one. The really soft trials tyres don't take too kindly to the weight of an enduro / dual sport bike and, as you say, don't work on road.

The Jester is online now   Reply With Quote