Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2010, 05:31 PM   #61
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Atlanta
I have visions of your cousin chucking tennis balls at you in your tent in the middle of the night being the real story
Well, truth be told..... Cousin Jesus loves BBQ

Old 03-24-2010, 07:57 PM   #62
Machster50
Gettin' there

Oddometer: 163
think ATV

Quote:
Originally Posted by kta
I may still be off base here but .....

The large bikes run Tubless-type tires which are heavier duty than a tube-type tire. They also run them at higher air pressures.

My uncertainty comes with running a tube-type tire at 12psi with a plug in it. 1500 miles is a long way for it to last. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Atv's will run often with less than 6 psi with no plug issues... and multiple plugs in the same hole, etc... lifesavers in the bush.

2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
2003 Skidoo Legend 144" track
2010 Ski-Doo Expedition (maybe next season)
Machster50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 10:36 PM   #63
B.Curvin
Feral Chia tamer

Oddometer: 2,720
I was given the rear rim off my buddies Husky SM610 to lace to the rear of my

spare DR350 rims (I got a front rim off flea bay). He ran tubeless for the last 2

years with not a single PSI lost. His tubeless set up cost ~4.00

One tube of clear silicone and a roll of duct tape. A bunch of the SM guys up this

way did it with no issues. We do lots of offroad too.

I would have done it but I ran CBR rims. I plugged a hole in this 17" slick on the rear

of the XR and ran it that way till it looked like this.

That included lots of riding in places like this.

I'll be doing the silicone trick to both sets of rims for the DR.

Porsche Audi VW
B.Curvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 05:54 AM   #64
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVMango
I was given the rear rim off my buddies Husky SM610 to lace to the rear of my

spare DR350 rims (I got a front rim off flea bay). He ran tubeless for the last 2

years with not a single PSI lost. His tubeless set up cost ~4.00

One tube of clear silicone and a roll of duct tape. A bunch of the SM guys up this

way did it with no issues. We do lots of offroad too.

I would have done it but I ran CBR rims. I plugged a hole in this 17" slick on the rear

of the XR and ran it that way till it looked like this.

Very cool! Hey is that bottom picture Hurricane creek?
Old 03-25-2010, 06:22 AM   #65
SilverBullet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVMango
I was given the rear rim off my buddies Husky SM610 to lace to the rear of myspare DR350 rims (I got a front rim off flea bay). He ran tubeless for the last 2years with not a single PSI lost. His tubeless set up cost ~4.00
One tube of clear silicone and a roll of duct tape. A bunch of the SM guys up thisway did it with no issues. We do lots of offroad too.
I would have done it but I ran CBR rims. I plugged a hole in this 17" slick on the rearof the XR and ran it that way till it looked like this.
Using the "silicone" tubeless method you can't use rim locks though. So downside is tire pressure cannot be run low enough for rough off road stuff. And if you did get a flat without rim locks and ride on it, chance you might break the bead. After plugging hole doubtful you could reseat the bead with trailside air pumps or CO2 cartridges.

_
1974 Suzuki TM400
SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 07:04 AM   #66
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullet
Using the "silicone" tubeless method you can't use rim locks though. So downside is tire pressure cannot be run low enough for rough off road stuff. And if you did get a flat without rim locks and ride on it, chance you might break the bead. After plugging hole doubtful you could reseat the bead with trailside air pumps or CO2 cartridges.

_
Yeah, this is definitely the cool thing about the Nuetech setup. I applaud anyone who steps out and does a roll-yer-own setup like the silicone method or any others for that matter, but the bead clinching element is a critical one IMO. This is very much like the tubeless revolution in MTB tires and wheels that started a few years ago. All kinds of experiements and elements have come and gone, but even on simple MTB tires the lack of a really strong bead clinching system can often make trying to air back up an MTB tubeless setup a real challenge without high volume/high pressure compressed air. I realize that there are some big differences between MTB and motorcycle tire/wheel applications, but the bead clinching integrity of the Nuetech system is a real plus.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 07:16 AM   #67
B.Curvin
Feral Chia tamer

Oddometer: 2,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft
Very cool! Hey is that bottom picture Hurricane creek?

From my garage I can be there in ~15 minutes.

I've caught a bunch of Brown Trout there too. I love that place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullet

_

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh. My buddy with the SM610 also has a YZ/WR450 hybrid. I never asked why

he didn't do it on that bike, maybe that's why.

Porsche Audi VW
B.Curvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 07:45 AM   #68
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,632
Does anyone know if it helps to pour in some slime or Stan's into the tubliss tube to slow down leakage? I ride daily and have notice that I have to add about 10 psi to the tube on a weekly basis. Not a big deal, but would be nice if the tubes held pressure longer than that.
Kiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 07:53 AM   #69
TNC
Candyass Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiko
Does anyone know if it helps to pour in some slime or Stan's into the tubliss tube to slow down leakage? I ride daily and have notice that I have to add about 10 psi to the tube on a weekly basis. Not a big deal, but would be nice if the tubes held pressure longer than that.
I would say that Slime won't help much in the inner liner tube because it's such a high pressure. I work part time at a bicycle shop, and high pressure tires seem to overcome any sealant when a tube is present. High pressure road bike tires are starting to come out in a tubeless design, and this appears to be working...but it's not a tube. Kiko, have you checked your valve core in the inner liner? I'd say if you had a leak in the high pressure inner liner, it would go down relatively quickly and go down to completely flat or at least nearly so. Your deal sounds very much like a valve core leakage. It's a standard schrader valve core, so I'd just try a new one in there.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:57 AM   #70
Some Dude
what attitude problem???

Oddometer: 4,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiko
Not only will slime help, I'd highly recommend it in the main chamber (not the Tubliss inner "core/tube") Not only will it allow you to keep on trucking down the trail in the event of a thorn or nail hole, it will also aid in sealing the bead between the inner part of the tire and the Tubliss core. Makes things a little messy, I actually use Ride-On tire sealant designed for tubeless tires. It's water based and clean up isn't too difficult during tire changes, it helps to do tires changes outside near a water hose though with a Mike's tire changing stand.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:01 AM   #71
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Atlanta
Not only will slime help, I'd highly recommend it in the main chamber (not the Tubliss inner "core/tube") Not only will it allow you to keep on trucking down the trail in the event of a thorn or nail hole, it will also aid in sealing the bead between the inner part of the tire and the Tubliss core. Makes things a little messy, I actually use Ride-On tire sealant designed for tubeless tires. It's water based and clean up isn't too difficult during tire changes, it helps to do tires changes outside near a water hose though with a Mike's tire changing stand.
Except that it will prevent you from ever putting in a normal tire plug (one of the main advantages of tubeless tires), no?

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 08:10 AM   #72
TNC
Candyass Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM
Except that it will prevent you from ever putting in a normal tire plug (one of the main advantages of tubeless tires), no?
I've seen this mentioned before, but I know on many ATV tire applications where Slime or other sealants are used, plugs are often used in great numbers with no issue. Wouldn't this work equally well on the dirt bike tire application? Are we talking about different types of plugs or something?
Old 03-25-2010, 08:13 AM   #73
Some Dude
what attitude problem???

Oddometer: 4,700
A tire plug will have a harder time vulcanizing to the tire, but the plug if installed correctly will allow the tire to hold air. However with slime or ride-on, short of taking in a huge bolt or nail, chances are small nails, staples, thorns, splinters, etc won't even need a plug to hold air as that's what the sealant is for.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:01 AM   #74
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,632
Some of my quad friends have slime in their tires and they are usually able to plug their tires but not always. I looked at the Stan's website and they mention that it is water soluble and can be used in tubes. Would Ride On be a better choice for use in the tubliss tube than Stan's? I have no experience with tire sealants and do not know the difference between the two products.

The only downside I have experienced with Tubliss thus far is that I am riding more aggressively and getting myself into more trouble. It's like learning to ride all over again after suffering with 20lb tire pressure for the last 4 years when riding off road. The last 1000 miles have been on 12 psi.

Here's a few photos of some terrain that I rode through yesterday. Over 3000 miles on tubliss with zero flats.

I was riding solo in a wilderness area near the border between Jalisco and Michoacan. Most of the rocky rutted areas had steep inclines and would have been difficult for me with my old tire setup, but with 12 psi it was no problem tractoring my way up.
Kiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 09:26 AM   #75
TNC
Candyass Camper

Kiko, there are two Slimes...tubeless and tube type. The tube type has small fibers, and the tubeless has little pieces of rubber...at least that's the main visual difference. I've often heard good things about Ride-On, just haven't tried it myself. I think Slime often gets a bad rap because of tube type Slime. It seems to work OK on bicycle tube tires but not so much on motorcycle tires. Tubeless Slime in tubeless setup tires, however, seems to work quite well from my experience. There are quite a few different sealants out there...some just marketed/manufactured in regional areas that also seem to work very well in tubeless situations. I'm running tubeless Slime in my Nuetech setup with a DOT Pirelli MT21 in front and a DOT Kenda Trakmaster in rear. We have tons of cactus and mesquite in my area, and I don't think you get far without some sealant in a tubeless setup. I haven't had any issues for months now.