Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2010, 11:15 AM   #76
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM
Except that it will prevent you from ever putting in a normal tire plug (one of the main advantages of tubeless tires), no?
Not true at all, at least not with the plug system I use.
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 11:28 AM   #77
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVMango

From my garage I can be there in ~15 minutes.

I've caught a bunch of Brown Trout there too. I love that place.

Nice fish dude! I love riding there, its a blast Next time I'm in the area, I'll send you a PM... HIJACK OFF

My racers support program just took the Tubliss system on and I get a pretty good deal on them, so I guess its time to give them a shot.
This thread has lots of great info, thanks too all!
Old 03-27-2010, 09:36 AM   #78
Sparrowhawk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallache
I've been wanting to get a set for sometime now, but the website says the 18" type only goes to a 2.15" rim width. Has anybody tried it on a 2.5" rim, or know when Nuetech will have one available?
Given how they work to press the bead against the rim I would think you might be stretching things (literally) if you go beyond the recommended width. It would change the way the hard plastic bit presses against the tire. It would press more up than out. I sent Nuetech an e-mail with the question and they confirmed that 2.15 was the maximum rim width. Here is an image from their brochure.
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 02:35 PM   #79
SKINNY
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 634
Damn!!! I guess I should have checked the front & rear rim width on the KTM 690...

both are too wide for the Tubliss stuff I just ordered...

I was looking forward to getting rid of carrying 2 spare tubes....
SKINNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 04:44 PM   #80
Sparrowhawk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,718
Or, you could be the one that answers the questions that Neutech's lawyers keep them from answering. Are they OK on the highway? Will they work on larger rims?

Some time in late July mount your TUbliss, load that bad boy 690 up with gear, make a mid-day run north on 54 out of Van Horn pegged in sixth, and let us know how it turns out.
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 05:17 PM   #81
SKINNY
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrowhawk
Or, you could be the one that answers the questions that Neutech's lawyers keep them from answering. Are they OK on the highway? Will they work on larger rims?

Some time in late July mount your TUbliss, load that bad boy 690 up with gear, make a mid-day run north on 54 out of Van Horn pegged in sixth, and let us know how it turns out.

I've been from White's City to Van Horn by way of Hwy 54 on my TE-610...
it sucked...I don't figure the KTM would be much more fun, but throwing both tires off the rim might make it interesting....
SKINNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 08:04 PM   #82
kthpick OP
super mario

Oddometer: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMonkee
I just ordered a Tubliss and Pirelli MT43 for the rear.

Gonna go out tomorrow and try to wear out my knobby.
So how are they holding up? How well do they work on the highway?

“When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.” –Thomas Jefferson

"And in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."-Abraham Lincoln
kthpick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 08:21 PM   #83
peterman
cop magnet

Oddometer: 12,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by kta
I may still be off base here but .....

The large bikes run Tubless-type tires which are heavier duty than a tube-type tire. They also run them at higher air pressures.

My uncertainty comes with running a tube-type tire at 12psi with a plug in it. 1500 miles is a long way for it to last. Correct me if I'm wrong.
I'm not the one to correct you, but I do feel you are wrong.
I have run the same tires (TKC80's) on my 12GS and my KLR, one bike is tubeless the other uses a tube. Not much difference in tire pressures other than the fact that the GS is heavier and needs a bit more for the loads it carries, but I have deflated both bikes in more offroad situations down to teens of air pressure with no bad effects. I have also plugged a hole in the GS's tubeless TKC rear that I could put the tip of my little finger into, and you won't patch that hole in a tube! I think the tubliss system is a good way to go for a lighter bike, although I don't know how they act at highway speeds.
I remember a system that sealed your spoked rim so that you could run a tubeless tire, if we combine all the possible systems,there would never be another flat!,, tubliss, bibmousse, sealed rims, and bullet proof kevlar liners, then we'd only need to come up with a tire that won't wear out.
peterman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 08:34 AM   #84
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthpick
So how are they holding up? How well do they work on the highway?
I haven't got them yet. Jeff was supposed to call me when they came in. I've been out of town and very busy with job interviews so I haven't had time to stop into his shop and check either. Which is just as good since I haven't had time to ride either and wear out the knobby.

I probably will this weekend.
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 03:49 AM   #85
wheelan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
[quote=SVMango]

From my garage I can be there in ~15 minutes.

I've caught a bunch of Brown Trout there too. I love that place.

Where did you get that ruler from, they look like the smallest inches I have ever seen! Oh well, like I say, if they fit in the pan, they're good to eat!
wheelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 03:46 PM   #86
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelan
Where did you get that ruler from, they look like the smallest inches I have ever seen! Oh well, like I say, if they fit in the pan, they're good to eat!
Metric
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 04:08 PM   #87
Roam
If you want to

Oddometer: 993
I've just installed a set on my WR250R/X and will be doing the entire TAT this summer and then riding back east on the pavement so I'll let you know how it works out.

The thing that I've noticed immediately is that the wheels are extremely out of balance with the rim locks (never used them before). Like 4oz out of balance. I'm going to try and use dynabeads in the tubliss inner tube to balance it out. If it works I should never have to worry about balancing again.

Roam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 06:38 AM   #88
felix_gt
step by step

Oddometer: 37
I installed then on my XChallenge.

4000 kms throw Marocco (1600 on desert, 2400 on pavement and highways) and no problem at all. Runing from 0'5 atm to 2 atm perfectly.

Regards.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:54 AM   #89
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughtwg
I've just installed a set on my WR250R/X and will be doing the entire TAT this summer and then riding back east on the pavement so I'll let you know how it works out.

The thing that I've noticed immediately is that the wheels are extremely out of balance with the rim locks (never used them before). Like 4oz out of balance. I'm going to try and use dynabeads in the tubliss inner tube to balance it out. If it works I should never have to worry about balancing again.
I'm just curious...aren't your rims wider than the recommended limit for the Nuetech system? If so, how did you get a good bead clamp from the inner liner? And aren't your rims 17"...or do you have a separate set of wheels?
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 07:55 AM   #90
seabee1
we build, we fight

Oddometer: 2,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by kta
I may still be off base here but .....

The large bikes run Tubless-type tires which are heavier duty than a tube-type tire. They also run them at higher air pressures.

My uncertainty comes with running a tube-type tire at 12psi with a plug in it. 1500 miles is a long way for it to last. Correct me if I'm wrong.
granted, my bike doesn't fit your description, but i plugged a screw hole in a tourance tire on the rear of my bmw gsa and ran it for 10,000 miles. both on and off road from 16 to 32 psi. never leaked.
i've got a ntm drz and it has the tubliss system in it. so far, i love it.

www.dehmotorcycle.com
Motorcycle storage with a personal touch
seabee1 is offline   Reply With Quote