Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2010, 09:29 AM   #91
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughtwg
I've just installed a set on my WR250R/X and will be doing the entire TAT this summer and then riding back east on the pavement so I'll let you know how it works out.

The thing that I've noticed immediately is that the wheels are extremely out of balance with the rim locks (never used them before). Like 4oz out of balance. I'm going to try and use dynabeads in the tubliss inner tube to balance it out. If it works I should never have to worry about balancing again.
I have thought about that - I have rim locks too and on the highway the bike has oscillations. I would think you would not use the dynabeads in the tube but in the tire itself. For one thing the inner tube for the Tubliss is just a bicycle tube so not as heavy duty as a regular motorcycle tube, and for another the beads would work better in the tire because they have more room to move and are further away from the center.

I am still waiting on my Tubliss - should come in pretty soon I hope. The rear knobby seems to be getting slippery.
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 03:56 PM   #92
Roam
If you want to

Oddometer: 1,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC
I'm just curious...aren't your rims wider than the recommended limit for the Nuetech system? If so, how did you get a good bead clamp from the inner liner? And aren't your rims 17"...or do you have a separate set of wheels?
I bought a separate set of wheels.

Roam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 04:00 PM   #93
Roam
If you want to

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMonkee
I have thought about that - I have rim locks too and on the highway the bike has oscillations. I would think you would not use the dynabeads in the tube but in the tire itself. For one thing the inner tube for the Tubliss is just a bicycle tube so not as heavy duty as a regular motorcycle tube, and for another the beads would work better in the tire because they have more room to move and are further away from the center.

I am still waiting on my Tubliss - should come in pretty soon I hope. The rear knobby seems to be getting slippery.
That's a good point about the location of the beads in the bicycle tube. I'm willing to use a few more ounces though if it'll work and if I don't have to worry about out of balance tires.

Currently the oscillations are very bad at 50 mph plus. Definitely wouldn't want to try and cross the country the way things are now.

Old 04-19-2010, 07:26 PM   #94
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,617
Quote:
That's a good point about the location of the beads in the bicycle tube. I'm willing to use a few more ounces though if it'll work and if I don't have to worry about out of balance tires.

Currently the oscillations are very bad at 50 mph plus. Definitely wouldn't want to try and cross the country the way things are now.
I balanced the Nuetech equipped wheels on my KLX250 just like you generally have to do with a single rim lock equipped wheel. I just used clamp-on lead wheel weights to achieve balance. Because of my gearing, I tap out at about 75mph or so, but I never get the funky dance or vibration out of it.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 09:23 PM   #95
c_m_shooter
Ninja Warrior

Oddometer: 265
The tires on my KLX were extremely out of balance with heavy duty tubes and rim locks. It was exhausting to ride it 40 miles to work. I just got the first weekend of riding on the Tubeliss system with Air Soft BB's in the tire instead of Dynabeads. It isn't perfectly balanced, but way better than before.
c_m_shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 07:27 PM   #96
Roam
If you want to

I've got 6oz of Dynabeads in the front wheel and 5 in the rear and the bike is still oscilating madly at speeds above 50mph. This might not have been such a good idea.

Old 04-21-2010, 07:09 AM   #97
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,429
Quote:
I've got 6oz of Dynabeads in the front wheel and 5 in the rear and the bike is still oscilating madly at speeds above 50mph. This might not have been such a good idea.
I use DynaBeads in the FJR but not the KLR. They work in some wheels and absolutely won't in others and it beats me why. The simple cure is to take them out and just static balance the thing.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:37 AM   #98
drc42
Rally Dreamer

Oddometer: 1,823
Quote:
Sounds like you are trying to ask too much of the dynabeads. I suggest using a weight to get the balance close then adding 2oz of beads to the rear and 1oz to the front to smooth out the last little bit.

Just my 2c worth, I am by no means an expert.
Old 04-21-2010, 01:33 PM   #99
Roam
If you want to

Yeah, I'll try to get the majority of the beads out of the tubes than do a static balance with just the tubeliss system on the wheels.

Old 04-21-2010, 02:09 PM   #100
R_W
wannabe

Oddometer: 4,126
Quote:
Yeah, I'll try to get the majority of the beads out of the tubes than do a static balance with just the tubeliss system on the wheels.
That is a good plan.

I would NOT put dynabeads in the tubliss tube. They rely on some flex from the contact patch hitting the ground to actually work. Not to mention the restriction where it goes around the clamp could cause the beads to bunch up (right under the clamp where it is already heaviest).

+1 on dynabeads being tire specific. I think that big lugged dirt/DS tires flex more than dynabeads can handle, it sends them bouncing the wrong way (if that makes any sense).

I want a tubliss rear on my KLR, but not desparate enough to convert to an 18" One more flat in BFE will probably change my mind, though.
Old 04-24-2010, 09:05 AM   #101
TTKlaus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
I think you guys have wasted about $300 in electricity on the discussion of a $100 tube
Not to mention the time spent on the keyboard, could have installed the tubliss a dozen times over!

I think it's a great invention and plan on using it on my DS as well as on my DB.

Klaus
Old 04-24-2010, 09:22 AM   #102
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 SPOT
you talkin about that tube for holding the tire on the bead? there is no way in hell thats a bicycle tube,,, it gets pumped up to 100 psi. i wont call you out on the crack pipe but,,,,
Hardly the ultimate expert here, but I do work part time in a bicycle shop here at home for my retirement career. I have the Nuetech system and have been running it for months troublefree. I inspected the design of this inner tube closely due to my fascination with bicycle technology. We've been running tubeless mountainbike setups for years now. My take on the pneumatic tube under the hard plastic shell is that it is a heavy duty tube design. I say "design", because I don't think it's an already manufactured bike tube that was taken off the shelf. The creator is probably getting a tube manufacturer to produce these tubes to his specs. A heavy duty bicycle tube is pretty tough, and that's what this inner tube looks like in design.

As to the question about high pressure bike tubes, many thin, wimpy bicycle tubes and tires go up 125psi and higher, so that's not a big stretch.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 09:28 AM   #103
2 SPOT
wannabe

Oddometer: 2,936
LOL TNC i pulled my reply after i realized my mistake in trying to make a funny wasnt really working.
i know about bicycle tubes going well over 100psi with a tire backing them, what i didnt realize at first was the inner tube and liner are two parts, i thought it was a one piece red rubber tube of some magical sort.
i wont admit to smoking the pipe,,, i blame genetics.
2 SPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 10:08 PM   #104
Drake Stone
Nobody

Oddometer: 60
Thumb TuBliss XR650L

Just put a set on my '06 XR650L. Front and rear, with Dunlop D606's. Took me about 4 hours with rim prep, and beer. Normaly im not to rigid on instructions, but since this time i was drilling holes in my rim, and the warnings in BOLD about Honda rims. I went set by step, and had my laptop out in the drive with me, reviewing each step in the demo video. Afters doing the complete rear rim first, the front was a snap. If anything goes horribly wrong, i'll let you guys know. but as of now, it looks good.

I really want to love this product! I hope it doesnt let me down!
Attached Images

Old 05-01-2010, 06:25 PM   #105
Drake Stone
Nobody

Oddometer: 60
TuBliss

Been running the Tubliss system, front and rear w/ Dunlop D606's, for a week now. I havent had any problems. I do feel a little more vibration at higher speeds, more noticable above 65mph. Ive had it up to 70mph. I dont have any balancing weights on the rims, just the straight set up.

Maybe its just the new skins, but, the handling feels...quicker? Yes i did swap back to the Dunlop D606's from my first time on a set of Kenda k761's. I am happy to get back on the Dunlops. Yeah they're way louder, more expensive, and wear out alot faster, But Damn! They kick ass in the dirt, gravel, and rock!

With the Tubliss i was able to drop my psi down to 12psi while off road, then re-inflate back up to 26-28 psi back on the road. That 12 psi was great off road, felt like i had claws! I carry a mini 12v air pump from slime that pressures up to 300psi, as well as a back up of air cartridges. pnuematic beedlockers - need air.

So far, for my purposes, i am really enjoying TuBliss
Attached Images