Oddometer: 774
What is the name of that bag?

Great set up...btw
jgrady1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:06 AM   #662
ktrout01
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 687
While not actually for fending off zombie attacks, I do have a bag in the car for emergencies. It has a good mix of stuff that will keep me alive in the event of an emergency. It's also helped out when I've had to spend an overnight at work due to weather or a plant casualty. Having spent more than a few years in uniform I've learned that situational awareness is key and a little preparation on the front end pays off huge on the back end. I keep all my gear in the car in a medium ALICE pack. I know it's not the most tacticool thing going but the ALICE design is time-proven, damn near bomb proof and oh yeah, I already had it in my pile of web gear from active duty. On the bike I have a scaled down version in a dry bag in one of the panniers. Not perfect and not as much as any mall ninja will tell you that you MUST HAVE but I live in the pretty low-threat suburbs.

2003 BMW F650GS
ktrout01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:07 PM   #663
jeepinbanditrider
Dunkin Donuts Crasher

Oddometer: 1,128
I did wind up switching to the Kelty for my day bag after selling the Maxpedition product. The bag itself is much lighter not being made out of 1000D nylon.

It's a Kelty Shrike about 1900 cubes and comftrable. I actually started moving the stuff I use everyday to "non tactical" models. Even my big 3 day bug out bag is a Kelty model in the same color.

I'm on a detachment right now away from home so my bag and what's in changed just a little bit but for the most part everything is still the same.
jeepinbanditrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:08 PM   #664
mutineer OP
Raoul Duke Lives

Oddometer: 18,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaceCoyote View Post
GHB, no. BOB, Yes. I also moto-camp out of this bag.

Whatcha riding now hippie

"Enjoy every sandwich" - Warren Zevon
mutineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:41 AM   #665
ktrout01
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinbanditrider View Post
I did wind up switching to the Kelty for my day bag after selling the Maxpedition product. The bag itself is much lighter not being made out of 1000D nylon.

It's a Kelty Shrike about 1900 cubes and comftrable. I actually started moving the stuff I use everyday to "non tactical" models. Even my big 3 day bug out bag is a Kelty model in the same color.

I'm on a detachment right now away from home so my bag and what's in changed just a little bit but for the most part everything is still the same.
I was issued a Kelty MAP3500 and while it's a great pack, it's a little too big for wearing on the bike.

2003 BMW F650GS
ktrout01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:55 AM   #666
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,300
Though not in a bag, my daily carry is two high grade folding pocket knives, a gun (1911 of course) with two mags, a tac flashlight (LED) with new batts every week, and 50ft of para cord. I also have a Kubaton, and a quality lighter and signal mirror within reach in my car. I even usually have a rifle in the trunk, usually my .22 Marlin or a Remmy 700 tactical in 30-06.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:08 PM   #667
KaceCoyote
Pass the queer more beer

Oddometer: 5,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrady1982 View Post
What is the name of that bag?

Great set up...btw
Eberlestock halftrack.

Eberlestocks are heavy, but there is no tougher bag made period.
Everybody talk to them end up in some danger
-MF Doom, Strange ways
KaceCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:09 PM   #668
KaceCoyote
Pass the queer more beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutineer View Post
Whatcha riding now hippie
DR650SE still. I sort've grew fond of it. Wont sell it, but will augment it. Probably with a bonneville, nobody else makes anything I want that doesnt completely overlap the DR in terms of ability.
-MF Doom, Strange ways
Old 10-11-2012, 07:59 PM   #669
Tripl Nikl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaceCoyote View Post
DR650SE still. I sort've grew fond of it. Wont sell it, but will augment it. Probably with a bonneville, nobody else makes anything I want that doesnt completely overlap the DR in terms of ability.
I've got a DR and think the exact same thing!

As for go bags... It's like chicken soup, it can't hurt! Use a bag you've got laying around, put in some stuff that you wouldn't mind eating, some clothing, big ol' trash bags (yard sized), socks and old shoes. For next to nothing you could have something that could make a long walk home or a day or two in the woods a much nicer experience for next to nothing.

Or, go whole hog and stock it with 10-essentials plus pointy and things that go *BANG!* if you know how to use them (and they're legal, blah, blah, blah. If it's stuff you'll use anyway, why not? If you've got the money and it'll sit there unused, why not? If you can little afford it... Then play the odds and go with the cheap option above.

BTW, I would recommend against items covered in MOLLE or with a known "tactical" brand label. Yeah, Maxpedition, 5.11, et al, are known to more than just good guys. I see guys in 5.11 and such and if they're wearing anything that could possibly be a cover garment I assume that they're armed. My knowing/assuming that doesn't matter. However, to a predator, why tip your hand? Go with work wear (Carhart, etc.) and other tough specically non-tactical brands. Or, be an ad for being a walking resupply depot.

Tripl Nikl screwed with this post 10-11-2012 at 08:07 PM
Tripl Nikl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:04 PM   #670
Squidward
At home in my jammies

Oddometer: 1,826
I just ordered a Maxpedition Proteus, which will replace the 3 year old 5.11 PUSH pack. Nothing wrong with the 5.11 other than it is a little big for the amount of stuff I now carry. The Proteus may also be a little more versatile in the manner in which it can be carried as the 5.11 is only a sling bag. I'm feeling a little giddy.

A link if your curious;

http://youtu.be/6UxdQwLcscM

Squidward screwed with this post 10-11-2012 at 08:32 PM
Squidward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:14 AM   #671
tony the tiger
yeah - what he said...

Oddometer: 9,653
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripl Nikl View Post
I've got a DR and think the exact same thing!

As for go bags... It's like chicken soup, it can't hurt! Use a bag you've got laying around, put in some stuff that you wouldn't mind eating, some clothing, big ol' trash bags (yard sized), socks and old shoes. For next to nothing you could have something that could make a long walk home or a day or two in the woods a much nicer experience for next to nothing.

Or, go whole hog and stock it with 10-essentials plus pointy and things that go *BANG!* if you know how to use them (and they're legal, blah, blah, blah. If it's stuff you'll use anyway, why not? If you've got the money and it'll sit there unused, why not? If you can little afford it... Then play the odds and go with the cheap option above.

BTW, I would recommend against items covered in MOLLE or with a known "tactical" brand label. Yeah, Maxpedition, 5.11, et al, are known to more than just good guys. I see guys in 5.11 and such and if they're wearing anything that could possibly be a cover garment I assume that they're armed. My knowing/assuming that doesn't matter. However, to a predator, why tip your hand? Go with work wear (Carhart, etc.) and other tough specically non-tactical brands. Or, be an ad for being a walking resupply depot.
Not bad 29 posts & 26 looks bacon sammich.... chop-chop
tony the tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:55 AM   #672
soyanarchisto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidward View Post
I just ordered a Maxpedition Proteus, which will replace the 3 year old 5.11 PUSH pack. Nothing wrong with the 5.11 other than it is a little big for the amount of stuff I now carry. The Proteus may also be a little more versatile in the manner in which it can be carried as the 5.11 is only a sling bag. I'm feeling a little giddy.

A link if your curious;

http://youtu.be/6UxdQwLcscM
A 7-minute video review of a fanny pack. Wow.
soyanarchisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:32 PM   #673
Squidward
At home in my jammies

Oddometer: 1,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by soyanarchisto View Post
A 7-minute video review of a fanny pack. Wow.
Yep, she went a little overboard. Sorry, I can't give you that 7 minutes back..
Old 10-12-2012, 05:58 PM   #674
KaceCoyote
Pass the queer more beer

Its as close to open carry as I can get. I dont believe in the grey man.
-MF Doom, Strange ways
Old 10-12-2012, 08:04 PM   #675
jeepinbanditrider
Dunkin Donuts Crasher

Oddometer: 1,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktrout01 View Post
I was issued a Kelty MAP3500 and while it's a great pack, it's a little too big for wearing on the bike.

The MAP3500 is a bit bigger than the Shrike and made out of heavier Material IIRC. The shrike is about as ig as I'd like to get for an EDC or "Get home" bag that's for sure. And a lot of times when I'm on the bike I just throw on the top case and move my EDC stuff into it. I'm riding my bike home one way or another anyway short of an EMP. I'll split if I Have to.
jeepinbanditrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: