User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2010, 08:14 AM   #1
Narrdo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
SW Motech Bolts

I am Noob owner of a 2010 800gs (love it by the way), the dealer had installed the SW Motech crash bars on the bike and I bought it with those on it.
No real problems with those except that I have the low seat and my knees somtimes hit the top bolt on the crash bars where it attaches to the frame and the engine on the back side. While riding, the damn things get seriously hot and I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas on what I could cover it up with to keep from burning my knee.

I am considering changing to the standard seat, to change my riding position, and a couple people have sugessted changing them to grade 8 bolts to dissipate the heat a little better.

Narrdo screwed with this post 03-20-2010 at 12:33 PM
Narrdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 11:16 AM   #2
Aether
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narrdo
I am Noob owner of a 2010 800gs (love it by the way), the dealer had installed the SW Motech crash bars on the bike and I bought it with those on it.
No real problems with those except that I have the low seat and my knees somtimes hit the top bolt on the crash bars where it attaches to the frame and the engine on the back side. While riding, the damn things get seriously hot and I wondering if anyone has any ideas on what I could cover it up with to keep from burning my knee.
Let's flip that question around and ask what are you wearing over your knees to prevent them from getting burnt?

Aether screwed with this post 03-20-2010 at 11:21 AM
Aether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 12:32 PM   #3
Narrdo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Nicely put. Its a variety of things. Today if was jeans, Monday on the way to work it will be Dockers. Eventully, it may be actual riding pants and such on a long trip.
Old 03-20-2010, 06:13 PM   #4
tedder
irregular

Oddometer: 8,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narrdo
Nicely put. Its a variety of things. Today if was jeans, Monday on the way to work it will be Dockers. Eventully, it may be actual riding pants and such on a long trip.
Eventually? You mean, after paying the medical bills?
tedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 08:57 PM   #5
Narrdo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thread Offically...

Old 03-21-2010, 12:13 AM   #6
Glenngineer
Scooty Puff Sr.

Oddometer: 757
Derail or not, 13K on a bike + farkles means you can spend $100 on some Olympia pants. Just do it.
Glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 03:31 AM   #7
raider
Big red dog

Oddometer: 1,582
Aside from the pants thing,

I have very long legs, and found my knees banged upon, or were in what I considered to be unsafe proximity to, most brands of crash bars. The Hepco & Becker were the best - snuggest fit, very similar to the SWM in style and protection.

I've also had to learn to sit further back - the F800 actually seems to prefer the rider to sit farther back than feels "normal" if you've come off a bike with a sculpted seat, IMO.
Old 03-22-2010, 03:48 AM   #8
mike1952
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,112
I have three pairs of olys and like them all. Rangers wth the kiner are great in the cold weather.
mike1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 08:35 AM   #9
Narrdo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Im pricing out those pants, Thanks. In the mean time, I have bought for .98 cents, plastic chair leg sliders from Lowes and cut them to fit on the end of the bolt head and attached them with some silocone. Covers up the chrome of the bolts on the black engine and hopefully will stop it from singeing my chicken legs.