User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2010, 06:01 AM   #31
drrags OP
Dorkus Malorkus

Oddometer: 1,810
Breaking out of the Forest and into the Desert

Blake pondering life, I'm pondering (pounding?) sand.

Chow time:

When we were done with lunch a caballero rode past. When I whipped out the camera he started showing off. He was real proud of his horse, and rightly so.

Gas station:

A pic for the girls

drrags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 06:08 AM   #32
drrags OP
Dorkus Malorkus

Sand and Heavy Bikes

Sand - my nemesis. The white sand sure was deep and squishy.

The Mighty KTM SE tries to power through the thick and deep sand:

And gets beaten back. I would have taken more shots, but Shaun was trapped and needed excavating.

But the sand gods were not yet happy:

On one hand it sucks to be caught, on the other, it sure is nice to have help heaving the pig back on its feet

One disabled bike being towed. These guys were haulin'!
Old 03-22-2010, 06:51 AM   #33
edeslaur
San Diegan

Oddometer: 445
On Day 2, Shaun had lost his water bottle. It had decided to run and hide from its mean owner who insisted on constantly thrashing it, keeping it tied down, and then sucking its blood from time to time. Ewww!

Fortunately, on the way back, Shaun's keen eye detected it trying to pretend it was a rock. This was not the first time a belonging tried to escape its owner (to whit, my socks), but also not the last.

This one hid the best of them all, though. No way we could see it going the other direction!

It was a great morning ride, really, as we got to repeat all the stuff we did the day before. It was a mere 8 miles one way. Which surprised everyone. The first time you ride a section, it always seems to take longer than any subsequent time. We blasted through it this time.

Sand no one was afraid of:

La Parque Nacional Constitucion

And then, there was the lake.

Wait, that's just one of the many puddles. It was a hoot having such wet areas to ride through. And it was awesome that we didn't have to tent in the area as it was both cold and wet. Not always a pleasant combo.

Why it surprised those of us burdened with GPS', I don't know. This would not be the first time the Stooges would be surprised, even though they carried GPS'...

We sadly, eventually, hit a town. What a great trek. The road was easy, but every one of us did at least one emergency-braking test as we tried to dodge getting splashed by a puddle that snuck up on us. Sad to say, I didn't make all my stops!

I was following Shaun too closely at one point and he hit a small puddle maybe foot in diameter, hosing me down with mud. The funniest part? He had no clue and therefore couldn't enjoy it until later!

The thing about food in Baja is that it all tastes like home-made... because it pretty much is. If we were in the US, lunch would have been a Wendy's, Carl's Jr, McDonald's, Denny's, Coco's, or somesuch.

Instead, we had a great meal. And the sugar-based sodas drink like nectar.

Would you eat here? We did!

I laugh whenever I'm reading someone's trip report and they bring a gazillion gallons of gas to they can make the next Pemex which *might* be open. While I've run out in the darndest places in the US, and had good people help me out at all hours of the day, in Baja, gas is almost always available. You just have to ask around.

Baja gas station

Baja fuel truck

Ride reports:
- 10 Mar Baja
- 08 Feb Baja
- 07 Aug West coast PDX->SAN
- More!
edeslaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 07:02 AM   #34
edeslaur
San Diegan

After lunch, we headed out and down again. As many of you know, Arno is godlike on pavement, but a wee bit nervous when the bike starts moving around on him in sand.

My advice was that he needed to go faster (Ok, I pretty much say everything can be conquered with more speed, hence the joke earlier in this thread about going slower with the thread posting). So he did, with spectacular results. On the straights.

Then the road decided to up and turn on him.

We have video of this one. Look at how far that front wheel dug in. It looks like he overbraked, right? Believe me when I tell you he didn't. You'll see why I should be trusted soon...

Blake and I ran ahead and waited. And waited. And waited. It was a fantastic section. When I go running at work, one of my friends will run ahead, run back, run ahead, run back - because I suck at running. Well, I normally do the same on these trips. But Blake and I were so far ahead I didn't want to leave him out there.

This got Arno and Shaun wondering since they know I like to do that. Apparently they were thinking that if I wasn't doing that, it must be a particularly gnarly section. It was awesome, with 3' ledges down into washes, etc. In retrospect, I wish I'd done it again.

These guys came by, confusing me and Blake for a second as we thought they were Arno and Shaun at a distance.

Remember how distances throw you out here? They thought the boyz were 5 miles back. Errrr, Ok.

Shaun and Arno eventually showed up and we motored on.

This road got even better. Well, maybe not on a big bike.

Ride reports:
- 10 Mar Baja
- 08 Feb Baja
- More!
Old 03-22-2010, 07:17 AM   #35
edeslaur
San Diegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrags
But the sand gods were not yet happy:

On one hand it sucks to be caught, on the other, it sure is nice to have help heaving the pig back on its feet

Doing my run-up, run-back, I caught up with Arno just after he biffed it. Kinda like I did, he got stalled on the top of a berm and had nowhere to put his foot down.

It was as heavy as it looks.

Arno had been thrown into the bank and bruised his hand, so I handed him my Husky and hopped on the GS to get it through the next section.

The bike remained, remarkably, undamaged. Those "wild at heart" (I kid you not) crash bars are fantastic.

We got out of the way of the fellow being towed. Man, those guys were good, getting towed through that sand must have been a PITA, even on 450s.

Once underway, the first thing I learned was "Holy crap is this thing a pig in the deep sand!" Arno and Shaun were laughing themselves silly as I tried to master the beast - and failed. I made it about 50', then the front dug in and I had a repeat of my first ride as I gently put the bike down. Man it's top-heavy. Arno pulled up next to me to help, but I'd already hucked it back onto its tires.

It's one of the few bikes I've ridden which would not just definitely benefit from a steering dampener, but needed to come stock with one and didn't (only in sand).

My mantra "go faster" will be proven...or not... later in this saga. But in this section, we had a roadway about 8-10' wide, full of very deep, soft sand and then these 2-3' high banks. The bike liked to swing one direction or the other about 3-4' at a time. Pinballing between the banks on my buddy's bike was not my idea of fun, nor was ripping all those expensive gadgets from his bike high on my list of things to do. So I duck-paddled and tried, vainly, to keep it straight. I'm certain it was amusing to watch, as it was amusing to imagine.

When I started this trip, I had been lusting after a bigger DS. After the past couple of days wathcing these guys work at the bikes, that ardor had cooled considerably. At this very moment, I was pretty sure one of these would never find its way into my garage. And I had no clue how people ran truly big bikes, like the BMW R-GS or GSA through sand. Holy carp!

This was my first real ride on the bike and there's a learning curve in the sand, I'll tell you what.
When we hit hardpack again, it was a bit of a relief. But I'd started to understand the bike's habits in sand and was no longer so concerned. Don't confuse this with not tightening up every time sand became visible on the trek. Stress was causing arm pump, not the bike.

Ride reports:
- 10 Mar Baja
- 08 Feb Baja
- More!
Old 03-22-2010, 07:37 AM   #36
edeslaur
San Diegan

We made it through the rest of the section and hit pavement. Man, that 800 is awesome on pavement. I started to kinda want one again.
And then this view popped up, mandating a picture.

I was last in line and I'm sure I made people nervous when I failed to show up on the other side of this curve.

The camera completely failed to do this scene justice.

Ride reports:
- 10 Mar Baja
- 08 Feb Baja
- More!
Old 03-22-2010, 08:13 AM   #37
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,224
The morning's ride as we came down out of the park was nice. Long distance views of where we were headed, and there was very little dust.

I took pictures of the little restaurant, but they look just like the ones already posted. Along with lunch and a Fanta....I bought a bottle of water to top off my Camelbak, then we asked about gasolina and were directed to the llantera across the street.

We followed Shaun out of town down a nondescript dirt road that would take us to a portion of SCORE race course from a previous year - then we followed it southeast as it roughly paralleled MX3 headed for Valle de Trinidad, which shows up on my GPS as Lazaro Cardenas. My GPS is powered thru a fuseblock, but here I was sitting with everything off and it's on battery. It was great at finding Pemex

That next section after lunch was a lot of fun....on an XR628. It wouldn't have been so great on an F800. Eric and I kept getting ahead until we finally stopped and waited. We saw a few groups of bikes ramble thru, headed for Mike's. They had some ground to cover, so towing a Kawasaki with a lunched crank didn't do their schedule any favors.

The course split here, and Eric went off to the left to see how it was while I hung out waiting. We all went this way, and it turned out to be some of the deepest, shittiest sand we'd hit yet....so we turned around and took the other direction.

This year's flooding was very apparent in places. The water had gotten quite high.

Eventually we got back into the type of stuff where deep sand made the big bikes a handful, and Eric and I ended up quite a bit out front. We stopped for a half hour, thinking how nice it would be to have just one shade tree....just one.

Great.... a sign that says WRONG WAY, just what you want to see out here.

At one point, with shadows getting long again....we came to a junction in the course where we could keep going, or take what appeared to be a shorter section to pavement, and take a few miles of pavement into the next village to get a meal, some water, and relax a bit with an eye on where we'd be finding a camping spot.
That was a hella fun section, but it was a sand workout from hell on the big bikes, so those guys were probably dreaming of ice cold cerveza.
We ended up with about 8-10 miles of MX3 before we got to Valle de Trinidad, which would become our Groundhog Day town of the trip.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present

Blakebird screwed with this post 03-22-2010 at 12:59 PM
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:20 AM   #38
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,783
Thanks for all the sand-sux commentary, it makes me feel less like a wuss for avoiding it every chance I get.

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:36 AM   #39
edeslaur
San Diegan

Arno explained you're a pal from Oregon, so I feel this is acceptable: Sand is easy.

Ok, maybe not on a big bike! LOL

Ride reports:
- 10 Mar Baja
- 08 Feb Baja
- More!
Old 03-22-2010, 10:53 AM   #40
Sheep Shagger
Show me your fleece

Oddometer: 2,069
So, the day 2 started with me trying to make some coffee and realising I had no water bottle. After a quick flick through camera's to determine the last time the bottle was on the bike, and therefor it's general location, Eric and I set off for a ride back to find it before breakfast. Neither or us minded the backtracking as the road was a lot of fun, and after finding it we blasted back to the Hotel.
After breakfast and packing, we headed out, as others have noted the lake we came across was a great, although we were told later that it's usually a dry lake.

Carrying on south, heading out of the park the road was very straight & fast, and not as interesting, but still fun.

After the park, we hit MX3 for a few miles, lunch & gas. From here we headed for a section of the 2007 & 2009 Baja 1k race course, around Agua Blanca. After a few wrong turns from me, we got on the right tracks and started to have some fun.

The sand started to get deeper and deeper and more challenging on the big bikes. Here is Eric and Arno crossing one section.

At this point we stopped here for a brake. Up till now, all the soft sand had been wide open areas as you can see from the above.

After the brake Eric and Blake headed off shortly followed by Arno, I was still fartarsing around with my jacket liner or something-or-other, and left a few mins later. Few miles up the road I came up to Arno and he has just come to a stop in a controlled crash manor, which made me stop dead in my tracks. He pulls out his camera and takes a pic of me. (Arno posted above)

So, away I go and try to get the beast running up on plane. My problem (apart from being mentally challenged) is in this very soft sand with banked sides, I find it a real bugger. On my light bikes I can get up to plane at low speeds ~25mph and you can let the bike will do it's own thing, with the 950SE (probably very bad setup suspension wise), you need to be running 45+ to get it up on plane and it will not come back on it's own once it's out of shape, you have to force it back. and with all the ruts in the sand it was constantly out of shape. Being an SAFB (skinny arm fagot bastard) I find man handling the SE back into shape very tiring. So, as Arno is busy taking pictures, I'm trying to get the bike going in the sand heading in every direction but the one I want, I hit the bank with my boot, bounce off and down I go.

In this particular off, my foot it trapped under the bags and bent backwards, gas leaking out of the bike onto the engine. I shout to Arno and lucky enough he instantly drops the camera and come running over to my aid. Cheers Arno, that one had me worried, can't say I have ever been trapped and not able to get myself out from under a bike before.

After a nice long break, Arno and I are back on our way, probably 1/2 hour behind Blake and Eric at this point, who are waiting for us a mile or so up the road, although we didn't know that at this point. Arno and I take it really easy from now on, both quite exhausted, and running up on the banks when possible cheating our way through rather than taking the sand.

After catching up with Blake and Eric, we all set off and the sand seems to be getting worse and the banks higher, this is making me more and more nervous and my riding is becoming very passive, I'm exhausted, and making stupid mistakes, I can feel I'm going to be off again soon and this makes me even worse, just spiraling myself mentally into bad and sloppy riding.

We all come to a stop, and there is no Arno, so Eric heads of back to find him, I wait a min or so, and reluctantly head back. Not wanting to run back through the last section, but the needs of a friend are greater than my pussification at this point. Not far back I come across Arno and Eric standing over Arno bike that has fallen down on a bank and is closer to upside down than on it's side (if that makes sense). We all heave the bike back up, and Eric rides the GS800 out to where Blake is still waiting while Arno hops in Eric's 610.

After a quick regroup Eric decides to run the GS800 out and Arno takes the 610, Eric very confident in his abilities heads off and hits the soft sand at the same speed he has been on the 610 and quickly runs the bike from one bank to the other bank, manages to correct the bikes path but at this point has lost so much speed that the front simply tucks and he drops the bike. I couldn't help but laugh at this.

We ran like this for the next few miles at which point we came to a stop at an intersection. Decision time, we are running parallel to MX3 at this point and have done ~30 miles of a ~60 mile trail. Cary on for the next 20~30 miles of this trail (a known) back to MX3 or take a right that hit's MX3 in 5~10 miles on an unknown trail. Eric on the GS800 wants to go ahead, Arno wants to take the right, Blake and I are indecisive. We decide to take the right and head back to MX3, this turns out to be a great decision. The road is fast, fun and no really bad sandy sections. I think we all had a blast down this section.

About 1/2 way back on this trail I come into an open plane with a cow standing in the middle of the road and a fence line running parallel to the road, I slow down expecting the cow to move out the way as they normally do, but this bugger is not moving. About 50 yards or so from the cow I notice it's a cow with horns.....OH PHUCK..., and this bugger is NOT moving just staring me down. I come to a complete stop, and this bull looks extremely pissed off, staring me down and takes quite an aggressive step forward, towards me. Everything is running through my mind at this point, most of which is just about to come out of my posterior. At this point Eric pulls up and quickly evaluates the situation, parks the GS next to me but between me and the fence line kind-a making us look bigger, and blocking any path the bull may want to take in our direction. The bull is looking extremely pissed off, but is starting to back down, just then, Arno and Blake arrive on the scene, this is too much for the Bull. (Well the sight of Arno is too much for most living things), and he pisses off. The ass end of this particular bull is a welcome sight, and thanks Eric for his quick thinking.
From here we head off to MX3 and go find a place to stay for the night.
Sheep Shagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:08 AM   #41
edeslaur
San Diegan

The road here had several drop offs, some deep sand, and some really messed up/washed out sections with bypasses into the desert. We have video, but no pics. It was awesome.

By now I was getting the hang of the F800GS, even in the deeper sand. Believe me, I still wasn't comfortable tho.

We hit a clear section and were able to get some speed on, where I found the other problem with the FGS - the suspension was incredibly soft. This was redone by someone at some point (before Arno bought it) and it rode like a Cadillac. And bottomed like one too.

I've since talked to my dealer and they feel it's pretty decent as delivered by the factory (one of the shop guys raced his in a hare 'n hound, so I'm a believer) , so it may be how it was redone. At slow speeds, it was way plush and super nice. I can see some people thinking that was great. Not me (or Arno!), but some people. Heck, Arno was bottoming my Husky and I have about 100# on him!

But try to loft the front over a rut, and the rear would bottom on whatever you were crossing. Bummer because I could see this bike being some real fun. Not my bike, and we were a long way from anywhere, etc., so I kept the pace mellow.

That cow was funny. It was definitely getting fired up when I showed up, and was moving TOWARDs the bikes with its head down a bit (not perked up in a "hey, feed me!" way!!). This was not in Shaun's mind!

Thinking it was either A) trying to go between the guys and the fence OR B) through them, I ran up between them and the fence, prepared to jump off the bike and over said fence if choice B started to be put in play. Yes, I run towards floods, fires, and volcanos too!

My arrival seemed to put it off and it chose C) depart away from these morons!

Little did we know we would be back soon.

GoDaddy has barfed on allowing me access to my pic's URLs, so none to post for a bit. That's twice in 2 days, wonder what's up...

Ride reports:
- 10 Mar Baja
- 08 Feb Baja
- More!
Old 03-22-2010, 11:49 AM   #42
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by edeslaur
... Sand is easy.
That's what Road Rash told me just before I biffed.

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:50 AM   #43
drrags OP
Dorkus Malorkus

End of Day 1

Chinese Restaurant:

Solving the world's problems...

I don't really think I need to write a description here, do you?

The hostess took our picture:

Old 03-22-2010, 12:04 PM   #44
drrags OP
Dorkus Malorkus

Day 2, Leaving Town

I need to get my rear rack straightened and strengthened (not from constant crashing, but the constant beating ). There was no better place than the welder/fabricator across the street. My rear rack is now bomb-proof.

When in doubt, gas it, when it doesn't fit, beat it.

These guys can make anything work.

Out of the town and back on the trail. Water crossings are fun.

Old 03-22-2010, 12:15 PM   #45
drrags OP
Dorkus Malorkus

Onwards to Mike's Sky Ranch

Since none of us have ever been to Mike's Sky Ranch, we figured we'd check it out. It's somewhere over yonder. Here we go!

The water crossing just below the rancho is rather deep and kind of fast.

Ahh... we survived it

Eric and Shaun went for a romantic walk to the river.

Mike's Ranch looked nice, with a big pool and comfortable seating, but after an hour or so of trying to find someone, we gave up and hit the trail again.