Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2010, 02:54 PM   #61
edeslaur
San Diegan

Oddometer: 445
The road to Mike's Sky ranch, since we're back thataway.

Ripping it up on the GS. Bear in mind, it's not mine, or I'd have been flying!

The water crossing at Mike's Sky Ranch. Only several hundred more feet to go!

Ride reports:
- 10 Mar Baja
- 08 Feb Baja
- 07 Aug West coast PDX->SAN
- More!

edeslaur screwed with this post 03-23-2010 at 09:57 PM
edeslaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 10:57 PM   #62
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,667
Alrighty then... so, we've backtracked that morning, found Arno's SPOT, then headed back down the hill towards the turnoff we hoped would this time take us closer to the coast.

Now, I genuinely enjoyed this section, but took very few pictures. It had a lot of whoops, some deep sand in narrow troughs with 2 ft tall vertical sides.... all the stuff dirtbikes like, and big bikes hate

We pulled over at one point to wait for Arno, who'd gotten snagged in a trough. An old cowboy rode past slowly on horseback, looking like he had just rounded up a lost foal. Then a few minutes later we saw him load it all into a flatbed and drive away. I have NO idea where the hell that truck was parked, but I must have ridden 20 ft from it and not seen it. Anyway, wish I had more pictures through here, but when you're the busiest riding and paying attention, you don't reach for the camera enough.

There was one photo opportunity though

Bear in mind here, that this was Eric's 'ride home' day. He had to head for the barn and yet he was staying with us through some slow stuff that was eating the clock. We wondered when he'd have to bail...but he insisted he had plenty of time, as long as we were close to MX1 or MX3, he had a few hours of pavement tops.

We continued on a ways, climbing up a rocky grade...and it was getting interesting and scenic. Good stuff.
Then Eric stopped in front of me - and I realized that if he has stopped, there's a good reason. He not only rarely stops, he barely slows down

The trail in front of us went along the powerlines, but had a couple of short technical narrow steeps where good line selection was essential, along with a narrow footprint. This uphill chute probably would have put the F800GS in harm's way. Others have pictures here... and they do not show any of the steepness, per usual.
But - long story short, we turned back towards town again, and Eric found us a short cut across the wide deep sandy arroyo and in minutes we were back in Valle de Trinidad YET AGAIN for lunch.

Eric used this break to take the 950 SE for a cruise... he came back babbling more unintelligibly than usual.

I'll let the good trail pics catch up.

IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 11:22 PM   #63
drrags OP
Dorkus Malorkus

Oddometer: 1,810
Mo Pics

Not too shabby. Eric held that still for 15 seconds

My lost SPOT! Right where it said it would be.

Sometimes I felt like we had no business being here.

Heh.

As usual, it's steeper and harder-looking than in the pic

Hasta luego, Eric! It was great riding with you

drrags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 01:39 AM   #64
drrags OP
Dorkus Malorkus

Eating Turf

Not much commentary here without really embarrassing myself

Eating Baja Surf and Turf from Arno Jones on Vimeo.

Old 03-24-2010, 02:12 AM   #65
drrags OP
Dorkus Malorkus

And Still Mo Pics

Air 'em up, air 'em down.

My attempt at art:

Vistas grandes:

The wind could be ferocious at times. "Bollocks, Bollocks, BOLLOCKS!" Paratenting:

Of course we laffed and didn't attempt to assist.

I stabbed out a cigarette in the howling wind and all the hot coals perforated Blakes screen. I feel bad about that.

Sunrise at Puertocitas.

Old 03-24-2010, 05:45 AM   #66
edeslaur
San Diegan

Eric's last day placeholder - ride to/from the rocks

This road was fantastically exciting perforated with moments of "Aww, crap, it's not my biiiiiiiike!" Several of the videos, including my dropping the F800GS, are not on the memory card. Too bad, it was a good one. One of these has my high center, but all are fun. IMHO, but then I was there!

This video is a bit weak, except for the surprise drop into a sand wash in the middle. After that, just more road.

&ampampampnbsp
&ampampampnbsp

This one kinda conveys the road. And has exciting sand stuff, the foal, and a "aww, hell..." moment.

&ampampampnbsp
&ampampampnbsp

Gnarlyness!

&ampampampnbsp
&ampampampnbsp

Umm, Houston? We have a problem...

&ampampampnbsp
&ampampampnbsp

Ride reports:
- 10 Mar Baja
- 08 Feb Baja
- More!

edeslaur screwed with this post 03-24-2010 at 05:59 AM
Old 03-24-2010, 05:46 AM   #67
edeslaur
San Diegan

Eric's sad trek home placeholder (now completed).

When faced with the following, on someone else's heavy bike, stopping is the only choice. While I was willing to try, I knew that around the corner or over the next hill there would only be more sections like this and I was running out of daylight, so it was halfhearted at best when I whined that we should try it.

We turned around and beat feet to the left in the sand-road, where I started to think about coming back all that way we'd been. It was fun once, but twice, and uphill? Errr. Probably not.

I tried to convince the boys to run down the wash. Now I grew up in S. AZ, and I know washes. There was a GPS track which crossed the wash 2 miles down (N) the way and we had a good shot of getting there. It had rained not that long ago, and running down the wash would be like riding pavement. But could I convince the troops it wasn't a sand death-march? Nooooo!

While sitting there, I noticed a road under the powerline right on the other side of the... gate! With tire tracks from a pickup. A road unmolested (aka boring!) by a previous Baja race. Hmmm...

After some cajoling I got one of the guys to open the gate (the sand I was parked in was too soft for my kickstand) and I rode out.

I immediately found some silt, which I intelligently avoided. You can see it in the background of this shot. The truck's tire tracks went right through it, and churned their way as it had been wet at the time. See the power lines?

That's a bad, burly-looking bike, ain't it? I'll give BMW props for building a looker. It's my new desktop background at work.

I ran out across the wash. Just as I'd explained, pancake flat and a nice crust made for one-handed, slow-speed riding. Nice. Found the road, and it was in great shape (boring!). PLUS the wind was in our face now, bringing some much-needed cooling off!

I ran back and got the boys excited, taking the picture above.

Boy were they quiet after we crossed the sand. So much for their protestations. Some day, they'll trust me. Maybe after I quit saying it's easy and it turns into a death march!

And, boy, did they laugh when I popped Arno's bike up the berm, stalled it, and fell over.

Hey, Arno, I pushed the button, but can't find that video!

We ran back to town and had lunch. This restaurant had been recommended by everyone, but was always closed when we went there, except for today. I'm pretty sure we ate at every restaurant in that damn town, and not a bad one among them.

After lunch, I finally rode the 950SE-R. HOLY CRAP. I have got to get me one of these in my garage. Perhaps a longer ride would help cure my affliction, but DAMN, BOY. It made my past CR500 seem like a toy. Shaun's lucky I brought it back at all. I know they came looking for me at one point.

As I was packing, I traded Arno tents. I hear mine was a very popular subject, but it was tiny compared to the office he'd brought. I should have offered to take 1/2 of Shaun's crap with me too! Who brings heated gear to Baja in March?

It was with heavy heart that I headed back home. I had two big presentations to prepare for later in the week, and I needed to beat feet.

Que triste!

Since I was in a hurry and the sun was setting, I decided to hit MX3 to Ensenada, then to Tecate and home. That would skip the TJ crossing, and would also give me some more time on the bike. Me likey my Husky. Lots.

I kept the speedo hovering at about 80-85 the whole way. The only hard thing was that dirtbike helmet. Under 50-55, it was fine. After that, it became a big wing. I'm still glad I brought that one tho. Trailing an Explorer for about 50 miles at that speed sure helped with the helmet thing.

The road into Ensenada was AWESOME. The map does not lie. I was happy my knobbies were somewhat street friendly as I was enjoying those curves a lot. I could see my K1200S on those roads (unfortunately, the roads further SW are a bit rougher).

All these side roads were teasing, teasing me. But, no, onto home, hearth, and work!!! I must, I must!

Ensenada is a big, relatively modern town. It's not on my list of places to go back, except on the way to somewhere else.

After Ensenada, I was suprised to find there were vast expanses of wine country!! If I'd had more time, I would have stopped in to do some wine tasting. Maybe on a day ride from home with SWMBO.

The first military crossing was a no-brainer. The next one was a bit of a parking lot. I can't remember the town, but after lane sharing (to the right of the white line, maybe) for about 2000', I saw guys in camo's walking alongside the road and decided I'd just stick in line.

I was there a while, so I pulled out my eTrex Legend GPS from the tank bag, removed the blue painter's tape from the screen (prevent scuffing from the junk in there), and tried to see where I was while I waited.

When I pulled up, I killed the motor. The guy asked me where I was going, then seemed to wave me on. When I started my bike, another fellow speaking very good English stood in front of me and started asking me more questions, so I killed it and waited while they squeezed my bags and my front tire. The fact that I had someone else's tent never was a worry, it was Arno after all!

After I made it through, I couldn't resist a set of tracks going up a hill. It was steep and rocky, except where it was grassy and slick, and the rear tire spun some going up. Fun!!

The town I'd just come through

The tire tracks I was following

The tracks paralleled the road, so I was pretty jazzed I might not do ALL pavement back

Where the tire tracks ended...

Well, it was fun while it lasted, but I had to go all the way back to where I'd come off the highway. And, as you can see, the sun was setting.

In Tecate, it was me and 2 cars. The border guard gave my bike a side-glance and double-take. "Husqvarna? They still make those?" I was through in 5 minutes flat.

I94 is another fun road, and I caned the Husky through that section with glee. What a great, versatile bike!! I wouldn't want to ride it from, say Portland to San Diego (but my brother did, check my sig for the RR!). But it would do it!

It was great to be home. And then I realized the Border Patrol moron in the Tahoe was passing uphill on a no-passing zone and we were going to get friendlier than I wanted. And he would still be behind 6 more cars with more blind corners ahead. And no lights (shift change, he was one of like 20). Low ROI at best.

I believe he most likely understood the sign language and gestures I used. I was cussing him for a couple miles, which is rare for me. I usually am over it seconds after it's done happening. I was thinking how ironic that I have my closest call in the US and not in Mexico (not close enough to call the moron in or turn around and get his truck # and report him, but it woke me up!).

I pulled in to my house, parked the bike and left it there until the guys got home as work had piled up and needed doing. Cleanup and maintenance would have to wait!

I love hanging out with these guys, and I really appreciate more than they know that they changed plans to include me in the trip. As usual, we had a great time, got snarky, made mean comments to each other, drank good beer, had good food, laughed regularly, and just generally valued the crap out of each other's company.

Why don't I do this 2x a year? I dunno!

Ride reports:
- 10 Mar Baja
- 08 Feb Baja
- More!

edeslaur screwed with this post 03-24-2010 at 11:18 PM
Old 03-24-2010, 08:36 AM   #68
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Eric, it was great having you along and I wish you could have done the whole trip. There was some great stuff coming up.

This pavement drone to San Felipe wasn't part of it. Scenery was good, the ride was pretty windy and boring.

The big bike boyz would stop for a smoke break and I'd ramble by. We regrouped at the military checkpoint - I was sent packing right as Shaun pulled up. Minutes later we were all headed for the necessary evil of San Felipe on our way to the place we camped on our first night on the last trip - Bahia Cristina. We stopped at the Pemex 8 miles north of San Felipe, then blasted thru on our way south.
After a stop at the tienda in Puertecitos for some food and drink, then to the Pemex to top off the tanks. The Pemex in Puertecitos was under construction last time through.

btw, Arno, no worries on the little burn holes on the tent door. I put up the tent yesterday and dabbed some clear fingernail polish on them. Dried in minutes and it'll be fine. You didn't catch me on fire, and that's all I could ask for, huh?

I can't wait for the commentary on Arno's strategic tent trade
His tent was like 13lbs, and he thought it would be nice to save some tonnage for the next week of riding - so he and Eric swapped tents before Eric headed home, and Arno now had possession of a kiddie tent.
The new tent was much smaller and lighter, but shorter in every dimension than Arno is tall

This is a nice little place, just a few palapa's on the beach, and a building that last time wasn't open. This time it was, and the kitchen was open.
Sweet jeebuz, I don't have to have chocolate chip cookies for breakfast
On the last trip, I had the flu from hell that kicked my ass so bad I pretty much had no choice but to head back from here, there was no way I could ride 7 more days offroad.
Worst flu I can remember having, and the worst timing ever. When I woke up here feeling good, it was a moment to celebrate.

As usual, I'm up well before the sun.

...chain checked and lubed, packed & ready to go.

They didn't just pave the old graded dirt road south of Puertecitos...it's a full on highway with superelevations, riprap slopes, guardrails.... the real McCoy. And there's not really any way to stay on the old trail - we tried. The new pavement took us south a few miles, then there was a detour forcing us back to the old trail. Yay....back offroad!

Another military checkpoint, and Shaun was first in line. He had to go through quite a bit of his luggage....and when I was waved forward, same thing.
I undid all my straps and opened everything up as instructed, then they checked one side pocket and waved me thru. Took me 10 minutes to redo my packing.

We rode down to the Pemex at the turnoff to Alphonsina's, and went to the c-store for some hydration....and a couple of decals. According to Shaun and Arno, this place had grown quite a bit since in the last two years. We stopped for lunch, and while they were outside smoking I was watching top fuel dragracing in spanish on the TV.

I spent so much time by myself when these guys were having an after-meal smoke, I considered taking it up just so I could hang out and be part of the conversation and not sitting inside by myself.

We topped off again at the newish Pemex across the road, then continued on south towards Coco's. Arno learned not to put cans of beer in his topbox next to the pointy probes of a multitester

We stopped briefly at Coco's for a soda, he was in San Felipe so we chatted with his buddy and enjoyed the shade, as the substantial wind played a tune in the beer cans tied up everywhere. I would probably go insane if I had to listen to it 24/7

Then we hit the road to Chapala to the tee at MX1, where we aired back up for some road miles.

...and we fulfilled our main trip requirement. Get a picture of Arno and a sign.

While Arno was airing up, I added some decoration to his bike.... courtesy of the package of cookies I was munching on. He's not mentioned it yet, so maybe he hasn't noticed

Blakebird screwed with this post 03-24-2010 at 12:27 PM
Old 03-24-2010, 11:15 AM   #69
Cloud9
I was HERE?

Oddometer: 1,877
Great RR, thanks!! Awesome photos and video

Some tech questions. The KTM has a Dunlop 908 on the back of it which I have on my XR650L. My tire is nearing replacement and I noticed that the BMW runs a Cont TKC 80 which I'm considering next for my XR. The Honda and Husky look to have D606s. I'm wondering what you, as a group, think of the tires you have chosen for this ride because it seems to be a very good test of the tires over a wide range of terrain. I really like the 908, I have good traction overall and long wear, but I notice that when I come into a off road corner fast and need rear braking traction the back just seems to slide along with out to much grip. How did the TKC 80 fair overall? I've used a D606 on an XT350 I have and liked the tire but it wore faster than I liked.

I've read that the front suspension of the BMW doesn't have much adjustment and isn't up to the standards of the rest of the bike. True/not true?

Blakebird, I have upsidedown forks on my 650L. If you ever have a chance to swap... DO IT!! I have 48mm WP, ( the complete front end off a Husaberg, handle bars to wheel) the difference in handling is so much better! The bike actually goes right where I point in now instead of in the general direction... give or take 6 inches this way or that way. If you're down GJ way let me know and you can take it for a spin.

Thanks again for the ride! I can't wait to do the same!

Cloud9 screwed with this post 03-24-2010 at 04:04 PM
Cloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 12:20 PM   #70
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9
The Honda and Husky look to have D606s. I'm wondering what you, as a group, think of the tires you have chosen for this ride because it seems to be a very good test of the tires over a wide range of terrain.
hiya cloud, haven't seen you since the morning staging for Kokopelli a couple years ago.

Yes, D606 on the XR. I put a new set on before the trip. I like them fine, it's the tire I've used on this bike and the XR600 before it,for a couple years now. They wear pretty well, but I expect wear on dirtbike things and lots of maintenance...so as long as a tire doesn't chunk knobs off in two rides, I'm happy.

Quote:
Blakdebird, I have upsidedown forks on my 650L. If you ever have a chance to swap... DO IT!!
I'm going to swap....but entire bikes

I have a few trips in mind that would be better suited to something that can do more road miles and not worry about avg speed, etc.

The XR628 was just excellent offroad down here, but pavement miles....well, for now I can just say that's not it's favorite environment.

Blakebird screwed with this post 03-24-2010 at 02:02 PM
Old 03-24-2010, 12:39 PM   #71
drrags OP
Dorkus Malorkus

I've always been a fan of the D606's and the front worked well on the F800. The TKC is an ok off-road tire but not awesome. It kicks ass on the road. The downside is that it wears quickly. There are limited choices however with the 17" rear that is stock on the F800.

The forks simply suck ass on the F800Gs. I'm on the lookout for some KTM forks and get the conversion kit from Emig Racing.

Quote:

Some tech questions. The KTM has a Dunlop 908 on the back of it which I have on my XR650L. My tire is nearing replacement and I noticed that the BMW runs a Cont TKC 80 which I'm considering next for my XR. The Honda and Husky look to have D606s. I'm wondering what you, as a group, think of the tires you have chosen for this ride because it seems to be a very good test of the tires over a wide range of terrain. I really like the 908, I have good traction overall and long wear, but I notice that when I come into a off road corner fast and need rear braking traction the back just seems to slide along with out to much grip. How did the TKC 80 fair overall? I've used a D606 on an XT350 I have and liked the tire but it wore faster than I liked.

I've read that the front suspension of the BMW doesn't have much adjustment and isn't up to the standards of the rest of the bike. True/not true?

Blakdebird, I have upsidedown forks on my 650L. If you ever have a chance to swap... DO IT!! I have 48mm WP, ( the complete front end off a Husaberg, handle bars to wheel) the difference in handling is so much better! The bike actually goes right where I point in now instead of in the general direction... give or take 6 inches this way or that way. If you're down GJ way let me know and you can take it for a spin.

Thanks again for the ride! I can't wait to do the same!
Old 03-24-2010, 01:18 PM   #72
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrags
I've always been a fan of the D606's and the front worked well on the F800. The TKC is an ok off-road tire but not awesome. It kicks ass on the road. The downside is that it wears quickly. There are limited choices however with the 17" rear that is stock on the F800.

The forks simply suck ass on the F800Gs. I'm on the lookout for some KTM forks and get the conversion kit from Emig Racing.
Hey Arno
After all that pounding on ruts and ledges and rocks (as seen on the videos), are your wheels still round?
Lion
Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 01:29 PM   #73
Sheep Shagger
Show me your fleece

Oddometer: 2,081
Quote:

Some tech questions. The KTM has a Dunlop 908 on the back of it which I have on my XR650L. My tire is nearing replacement and I noticed that the BMW runs a Cont TKC 80 which I'm considering next for my XR. The Honda and Husky look to have D606s. I'm wondering what you, as a group, think of the tires you have chosen for this ride because it seems to be a very good test of the tires over a wide range of terrain.
KTM had 908 rear and 606 front as I'm not a fan of the 908 front. The 908 rear did very well considering, and lasts like iron, but was lacking on traction a bit. I'm going to try cutting one for the next trip. But, I've run 908's on other bikes, and never had traction problems.
Personally I dislike the TKC rear and would never even consider running one, I run the fronts before and they are ok. But I know Arno likes the TKC, but given the option (can't run 908 on the BMW 17" rear) I know he would have picked a 908 before the trip, but not sure if he still feels the same after the trip.
Sheep Shagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 02:26 PM   #74
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR
Hey Arno
After all that pounding on ruts and ledges and rocks (as seen on the videos), are your wheels still round?
Lion
Visions of the Alvord, eh?

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 02:41 PM   #75
azcagiva
new orange flavor

Oddometer: 1,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrags

I run the michelin desert (17") on my Elefant, I have a mitas e09 dakar that I will be putting on pretty soon. The desert is ok on the road and better in the dirt, better than the tkc. The desert is usually done after one trip to baja ( 1000 miles or so) I hope the mitas will be a little better. (I guess it has alot to do with the throttle usage).

-John

www.Raceforthewounded.com
azcagiva is offline   Reply With Quote