User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2010, 10:30 PM   #106
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,090
finis

The next morning Eric was off to work early, a couple of presentations to give.... and I threw my crap in the Jeep and loaded the XR, and headed for Denver.

I still had a week's vacation, and while I really wanted to hop on the FJR and go ride...it was snowing on the front range and that wasn't likely to happen.

Just as well, I have an XR to tear apart

The first thing I did when I rolled it in the garage, was pull the tank and took out the plug. Ack ...coated in melted aluminum.

The first couple of days back, I still felt like hammered shit from the stomach thing, and got very little done on the bike. The first day I had some strength I spent the day in the garage.

It got progressively uglier

It'll be back, but the next time it's going to be bone stock, down to it's 97mm 9:1 Honda piston.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 11:28 PM   #107
drrags OP
Dorkus Malorkus

Oddometer: 1,810
At the Surf

Home of the gut-busting fish tacos. I should have know when I discovered that the bathroom was an outhouse and there was no means for hand washing or sanitation.

The view as you enter Santa Rosalita. It reminded me of a Nordic fishing village.

What is he eating?

Same as me

First there's a sunrise in the east, and now, a sunset in the west. Nice.

Talk about a rock garden!

Still northward bound:

A washed out bridge. Apparently there were plenty of foolish people who perished both during, and after the bridge washed out.

A new restaurant run by people from Oregon. Great hospitality

You gotta love their "billboard".

drrags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 04:59 AM   #108
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Those hills where you were "still northward bound" was where I pulled over and added oil. Neat area, and a bottleneck for large truck traffic.

I'm glad someone got a picture of the washed out bridge just south of El Rosario - that was an impressive feat of nature to take that sucker out. That would have been something to see. The flood damage we saw during the whole trip was pretty amazing, that section of bridge was jaw dropping.

Didn't we hear a local somewhere telling us about how someone had driven off the end of a washed out bridge and was killed? Once I hit that spot, I remembered that story, and thought "this has to be the place".

Arno, that camera is great. I couldn't take my Olympus, it's too big and the trip would've killed it - but that is an impressive little camera. My old Sony is good and tough, but it's six years old.
Old 03-26-2010, 05:11 AM   #109
drrags OP
Dorkus Malorkus

Oddometer: 1,810
Right. The "house sitter" at Coco's corner warned us about the bridge. He said that one gringo on a bike was riding at night and didn't notice the bridge was out and plummeted to his death. He said a Mexican did the same thing. The restaurant guy related the story of a Mexican family that stopped at the foot of the bridge, while it was still intact but had water flowing over it, and decided he could make it. He and his family were swept over the side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird
Didn't we hear a local somewhere telling us about how someone had driven off the end of a washed out bridge and was killed? Once I hit that spot, I remembered that story, and thought "this has to be the place".
drrags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 06:55 AM   #110
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,740
You know Blakebird, if my math is right, you got the CHEAPEST rescue back to the US ever. Someone up above was smiling down on you!
Old 03-26-2010, 07:09 AM   #111
edeslaur
San Diegan

Oddometer: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrags
Right. The "house sitter" at Coco's corner warned us about the bridge. He said that one gringo on a bike was riding at night and didn't notice the bridge was out and plummeted to his death. He said a Mexican did the same thing. The restaurant guy related the story of a Mexican family that stopped at the foot of the bridge, while it was still intact but had water flowing over it, and decided he could make it. He and his family were swept over the side.
Safety message for the day.

Welcome to floods in the Southwest. Oh, wait - "Don't drive at night in Mexico!"

In Tucson, the I19 bridge over the Santa Cruz, near the San Xavier Del Bac Mission (yes, that exit), was wiped out in '83. The smaller bridge from the slab to the Mission was underwater when a family friend crossed. His wife walked in front of the car to make sure the bridge was still there.

In the morning, no bridge. At all.

Today:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=san+xavier+mission&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=35.631106,82.265625&ie=UTF8&hq=san+xavier+mission&hnear=&ll=32.104611,-110.993521&spn=0.002327,0.005021&t=h&z=18

After the flood in '83, even the highway slab was gone.
http://books.google.com/books?id=1DcrAAAAYAAJ&lpg=PA36&ots=50yEhebneg&dq=1983%20tucson%20flood%20san%20xavier%20bridge&pg=PA36#v=onepage&q=1983%20tucson%20flood%20san%20xavier%20bridge&f=false

I feel privileged to have been present to see the havoc wrought by nature back then. Floods are an awesome force to watch.

In Puerta Vallarta about 6 years ago, we ran around in a rental Jeep. The roads there had missing sections up to 20' deep.

Our Baja routes in earlier posts with bypasses were puny in comparison.

Sometimes the warning was simply a strip of orange plastic tape laid across the road - if there was any warning at all. It'll send a shiver up your spine when you think about driving those roads at night.
I tell you, never think you have the old girl whipped...

Ride reports:
- 10 Mar Baja
- 08 Feb Baja
- 07 Aug West coast PDX->SAN
- More!
edeslaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 07:26 AM   #112
edeslaur
San Diegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayjars
You know Blakebird, if my math is right, you got the CHEAPEST rescue back to the US ever. Someone up above was smiling down on you!
The first time he called, I misunderstood that he bike was still in Mexico and we'd have to go back to get it. Probably because I wasn't expecting him to get a ride that far WITH the bike!!

Ride reports:
- 10 Mar Baja
- 08 Feb Baja
- More!
Old 03-26-2010, 07:42 AM   #113
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayjars
No doubt! I was prepared to leave the XR if I could only get a ride in someone's car, and figured I'd be doing good to get to Ensenada....then take a bus to San Diego or something and eventually get to my Jeep - THEN drive all the way back down to pick up the XR.

Getting a ride with someone who dropped me off 20 minutes from E's place in Ramona was about as good as it gets. Hope Julio feels it worked out for him as well.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:36 AM   #114
edeslaur
San Diegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird
No doubt! I was prepared to leave the XR if I could only get a ride in someone's car, and figured I'd be doing good to get to Ensenada....then take a bus to San Diego or something and eventually get to my Jeep - THEN drive all the way back down to pick up the XR.
I was ready to ride down there with you and do an all-nighter to fetch it (assuming we were only staying on paved roads). I also only got (remembered? I don't know, I can't remember! ) Guerrero and thought it was down at Guerrero Negro!

That was amazing luck! Play the Lotto yet?

Ride reports:
- 10 Mar Baja
- 08 Feb Baja
- More!
Old 03-26-2010, 11:23 AM   #115
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Quote:
Originally Posted by edeslaur
Play the Lotto yet?
I'm not buying a ticket until I know if the XR needs a new head or not

The center cam journal got scuffed pretty good....I might be doing some ebay searching for a while.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:01 PM   #116
Hair
Outside the boxer

Oddometer: 13,354
Great ride report.

Blake it's good to see you out and about. To bad about the bike. You always have the cleanest 650s. I would agree about stock. There are soo many choices these days. I would choose another bike before I juiced up one.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:14 PM   #117
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hair
Great ride report.

Blake it's good to see you out and about. To bad about the bike. You always have the cleanest 650s. I would agree about stock. There are soo many choices these days. I would choose another bike before I juiced up one.
Thanks, Tim. It was a great ride.
I'm always out and about, but I don't get to get away for more than a week very often.

Sure would've liked to take the 950SE off your hands. That was a deal.