User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2010, 07:56 AM   #1
yellow zebra OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
Question Rotating the controls on an F800GS

searched, but found no discussion: I am keen to 'rotate' the controls (left and right) on my 800, since the indicators are way low/almost out of sight!

Obviously I can rotate the bars slightly to give similar effect, but tried it on the controls themselves, without success!
On my Dakar, it was an easy (and necessary) adjustment, but despite loosening numerous set-srews, could not get the left and right control bodies to rotate (forward) on the bar and in so doing, bring the indicator buttons UP?

Any ideas? I did looses the set-screw hidden under the left-hand grip, but this did not help?

Thanks!
Chris
yellow zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 08:46 AM   #2
dino
Half assed adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Hi Chris,

I'm in the middle of putting some new Protaper bars on my f800 as we speak. That screw under the left grip is actually a bolt that runs through the whole grip and handlebar. You need to remove it completely, then the controls will rotate. There is a small tang on the side of the switch housing that fits in the slot made by the two halves of the clutch lever pertch. I am going to rely on trapping the grip and switch assembly between my bar end (throttlemiester) and the clutch perch untill I find the right placement for me. Then I will drill the hole in the bars. You could do the same as long as you rotate the assembly enough to put in a fresh hole beside the original.

The throttle side has a proper clamp under the switch cover. Remove the two screws on the back of the cover (front of bike) and remove cover. There is a steel band clamp. This side has the tang as well so you have to rotate the brake pertch or move it inboard enough to clear the tang.

Hope this helps,
cheers Dino
Old 03-21-2010, 10:46 PM   #3
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,715
Strange, never heard of this complaint and I couldn't imagine rotating my controls since I am used to them. Good luck though!
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 11:33 PM   #4
Waino
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Chris,

Take a look at this post:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=20

The step that says to "remove the T25 bolt", that's the bolt you want to loosen on the throttle side to loosen the switch gear. (I could have sworn it was a T20 on my '10). I've got nothing for the clutch side so I'd listen to dino.

Before you mess around too much though I'd advise riding the beast for awhile (if you haven't already). You do manage to get used to where everything is, and even with small hands you can cancel the blinkers without bliping the throttle - the most frequent complaint. Good luck.
Waino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 12:23 AM   #5
yellow zebra OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
step-by-step

Daino - thanks, before posting, I had indeed removed that torx bolt which penetrates thru, and yes, I could rotate the control (left one, anyway), but I was unsure if I needed to drill a hole to enable the slight rotation; it just seemed wrong, so I re-assemblem, and reached for my laptop...!
(on the Dakar, a couple of screws, and I rotated it to the 'correct' angle for me).
Will post a pic, but my indicator buttons feel VERY hidden, and allthough I will learn to 'find' them subconciously, their placement feels wrong. As does the horn - to push the button needs thumb gymnastics, or is it just me?!

Waino - thanks, VERY comprehensive thread/pics. Will consider how to proceed,and will ride a fiar bit before adjusting, to see how it feels. But indicators feel way too far 'under' the h/bar, and the horn button just seems plain wrong. Of course on the Dakar, I used single-sided indicating and cancelling, so will banish that memory, and start practicing.

Will also likely rotate the h/bars forward, as that will bring the indicator buttons 'up' a bit.

Again, will try and post a pic for comparitive purposes, to see if mine are 'low' - obviously that torx bolt placemet will be the same for all 80GS's, so handlebar rotation is likely key?
Chris
yellow zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 03:54 AM   #6
raider
Big red dog

Oddometer: 1,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow zebra
As does the horn - to push the button needs thumb gymnastics, or is it just me?!
Not just you, I find the horn button hard to find. Except when I'm starting the bike at 0430 for early shift, trying to be quiet so as not to wake the house and neighbours. Then I usually find it repeatedly...