ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-22-2010, 01:16 PM   #16
Dune OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Ontario Canada
Oddometer: 430
Im sure this is just opening up a can of worms, but whats wrong with doing something like this?
I mean dont get me wrong I have an appreciatiation for the 'vintage' of the bike and a large part of me wants to leave it 100% original...

minus the likely uncomfortable seat for long touring condtions whats wrong with this picture?

I have never seen a seat like the one that came with my new vintage bike and I doubt I have the heart to change it... and will more than likely keep the entire bike original - especially due to the condition of most of it.... 'just sayin' (J.L.)

Dune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 01:21 PM   #17
Dune OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Ontario Canada
Oddometer: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhach
You could trash a bike in 2000 miles. Look at any newer sportbike owned by a teenager. But man, I really doubt that would be the case here. I guess first and foremost, I'd ask why did someone spend a boatload of money decking this out as a tourer and then put only 2000 miles on it? Did you buy it from the original owner? Second, the Honda four is a pretty bulletroof engine. I wouldn't disassemble it. The head gasket probably doesen't leak and probably won't for a good long time. Why tempt fate with replacing it with one that may leak (ask me how I know)? At worst, rubber connections will be the issue here. Carbs to head, Fork dust seals. Anythng that ozone and light can degrade. Maybe pull the forks and wheel bearings and give them a good greasing. I know today, OEM's can be notriously stingy with grease. At leasy check. Shine a light in to the cylinders, look for scoring. Adjust the valves. Spray a little oil in the cylinders, run the starter and do a compression check. It won't be 100% accurate with a cold engine, but it will at least tell you if all of the cylinders are similar.
My thoughts are the same! it didnt look lik ethere was any reason to think there was anything wrong with the engine as is or any foul play i.e. oil leaks etc... the carbs were in bad need of a rebuild and will be doin that... however the engine I have cleaned up and will be coating and the frame painted to be original black...

as far as the bike goes, one owner, I purchased it from a guy who had basically been given the bike form the original owner well past his riding years and he had the intention of turning into something of a chopped up sportster but luckily never got around to it...
Dune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 02:23 PM   #18
kz1
Studly Adventurer
 
kz1's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Ohio North Coast
Oddometer: 780
Back to original

Why not only change things that can be put back to original if you or the next owner has that desire. If you like the look of the shorter fenders, pick up a set on Ebay and cut away. Keep the originals someplace dry and you can always change them back. Lower handle bars, and a pair of bar end mirrors will change the look improve the riding position. Etc...
kz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 04:00 PM   #19
XS500RUS
Gnarly Adventurer
 
XS500RUS's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Oddometer: 376
I'm glad to see the OEM-appreciative folks crawling out of the woodwork when it comes to taking apart a classic Honda with only 2k on the clock. Like others have said, it's too late now, but you should have kept disassembly to a minimum until you got the bike running. Cafe-ready rats are readily available, supply of all-original 70s Hondas are beginning to dry up.
__________________
1977 Yamaha XS500C cross country veteran
XS500RUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 04:20 PM   #20
Dune OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Ontario Canada
Oddometer: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by XS500RUS
I'm glad to see the OEM-appreciative folks crawling out of the woodwork when it comes to taking apart a classic Honda with only 2k on the clock. Like others have said, it's too late now, but you should have kept disassembly to a minimum until you got the bike running. Cafe-ready rats are readily available, supply of all-original 70s Hondas are beginning to dry up.
you guys sure do know how to crash a party....
in retrospect maybe I should have attempted to get it going as is... however most of it would have had to be striped anyway electrical needs to be sorted out... 30 years of dust and mice nests... stored indoors but needed some attention... basically needed to be striped down to the frame and engine anyway and I hate having something done half fast...

So despite everyones relatively negative outlook on things I am still extremely excited to put this back together and have it in mint shape!

and by no means do I intend to chop it up and make it into something thats a disgrace to bikes.

I cant wait to ride the bike and was really looking for advice not criticism.

thx for the support...
Dune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 04:45 PM   #21
Jo-Nathan
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Pleasant Grove, UT
Oddometer: 159
I didn't mean for my posts to sound criticizing, and I actually really dig modified bikes. It just seems like you're doing alot of unnecessary work and spending alot of money you really don't have to spend. You have a really nice, clean, (mostly original) classic Honda. I think the wisest thing to do is put it back to original or at least don't change anything that can't be changed back. On the other hand, if we were all really into doing the wisest thing, we'd be riding bicycles and driving hybrids instead of screwing around with outdated motorcycles.

P.S. Please please please, do get rid of that god-awful seat thing on it (unless you plan to keep the fairing which actually compliments the seat quite nicely in a hideous sort of fun way) and if you do cafe it, please don't write "Honda" in Norton script or the word cafe on it, we all know what it is.

P.S.S. Sorry if I just offended anyone with the last comment. Feel free to criticize my bikes or opinions if you'd like.

P.S.S.S. It's your bike, do what you want. Don't let anybody's 'advice' (including my own) get in the way of your fun
Jo-Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 04:48 PM   #22
dlrides
1:1.618
 
dlrides's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Newton NC
Oddometer: 5,327
Well................I'll bring it !

The reality is.......CB550's are not rare ! A relatively rare bike would be a different story.

Build what you want with the bike. I would cut it to bare bones and ride the hell out of it. If that is what you want, do it.

Besides..................I NEVER see any of these "That's a bad idea" crowd posting any of their builds ! Armchair quarterbacks trying to live out their moto-dreams through everyone else.

Build the bike you want, ride it like you stole it, and be proud of it !


__________________
"The BSC was strong in that one, had to get out !"
dlrides is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 06:04 PM   #23
Marvin_ADV
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Marvin_ADV's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Oddometer: 434
How was the original exhaust? Was it rotten? Hope not, 4 into 4 is cool!

I have always liked that color combo, even with the sun fade on the top of the tank.

Anywho, nice find. Curious to see what comes of it.
__________________
"The 500....F*ck! Tis from another world"....Valentino Rossi
Marvin_ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 06:09 PM   #24
RobbieO
Banned
 
RobbieO's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Dumpmere - Muskoka
Oddometer: 8,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by XS500RUS
I'm glad to see the OEM-appreciative folks crawling out of the woodwork when it comes to taking apart a classic Honda with only 2k on the clock. Supply of all-original 70s Hondas are beginning to dry up.
I've got one.....wanna buy it??
RobbieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 06:10 PM   #25
welder
Beastly Adventurer
 
welder's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: paradise
Oddometer: 1,521
A few years ago I picked up virtually the same thing only a 78 model. I just cleaned the carbs, replaced brake pads and fluid ,new fork seals, changed oil and filter, new battery and tires and away I went. I think your making a huge mistake tearing it down. Nice bike though . The 550's are the best of the sohc hondas imho.
__________________
"If you come to a fork in the road, take it." Yogi Berra.
welder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 07:09 PM   #26
Dune OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Ontario Canada
Oddometer: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by welder
A few years ago I picked up virtually the same thing only a 78 model. I just cleaned the carbs, replaced brake pads and fluid ,new fork seals, changed oil and filter, new battery and tires and away I went. I think your making a huge mistake tearing it down. Nice bike though . The 550's are the best of the sohc hondas imho.
you know I dont mind the criticism - if you could point out a good direction on balancing carbs - certain components that I would NEED to replace... that would be helpfull... fyi
Dune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 07:13 PM   #27
Dune OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Ontario Canada
Oddometer: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo-Nathan
I didn't mean for my posts to sound criticizing, and I actually really dig modified bikes. It just seems like you're doing alot of unnecessary work and spending alot of money you really don't have to spend. You have a really nice, clean, (mostly original) classic Honda. I think the wisest thing to do is put it back to original or at least don't change anything that can't be changed back. On the other hand, if we were all really into doing the wisest thing, we'd be riding bicycles and driving hybrids instead of screwing around with outdated motorcycles.

P.S. Please please please, do get rid of that god-awful seat thing on it (unless you plan to keep the fairing which actually compliments the seat quite nicely in a hideous sort of fun way) and if you do cafe it, please don't write "Honda" in Norton script or the word cafe on it, we all know what it is.

P.S.S. Sorry if I just offended anyone with the last comment. Feel free to criticize my bikes or opinions if you'd like.

P.S.S.S. It's your bike, do what you want. Don't let anybody's 'advice' (including my own) get in the way of your fun
no worries - Im really just looking to learn something here Ive done a few restorations on VW's and work on a whole bunch of engines Diesel etc... built a few Adventure bikes... but really dont know anything about the vintage models and have been looking at restoring something for years now... a vintage builder I talked to tho he had some opinions about Japanese bikes... was 'find the best condition bike you can' because your still buying a 30 - 40 year old bike!

and thats what I did...

as for the Norton matching inscribed lettering on the tank - I thought that was a little tacky also.. but can always appreciate any bike!
Dune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 07:15 PM   #28
Dune OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Ontario Canada
Oddometer: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlrides
Well................I'll bring it !

The reality is.......CB550's are not rare ! A relatively rare bike would be a different story.

Build what you want with the bike. I would cut it to bare bones and ride the hell out of it. If that is what you want, do it.

Besides..................I NEVER see any of these "That's a bad idea" crowd posting any of their builds ! Armchair quarterbacks trying to live out their moto-dreams through everyone else.

Build the bike you want, ride it like you stole it, and be proud of it !


thx!!
will be picking up the newly coated frame this week and the polished and cleaned and coated engine as well!

cant wait to atleast have some of it back together by the weekend!

so far the fairing and luggage have payed for the bike and Ive almos broken even on costs!!
Dune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 07:26 PM   #29
Dune OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Ontario Canada
Oddometer: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin_ADV
How was the original exhaust? Was it rotten? Hope not, 4 into 4 is cool!

I have always liked that color combo, even with the sun fade on the top of the tank.

Anywho, nice find. Curious to see what comes of it.
exhaust is pretty mint actually!! theres a bunch of stuff rattling inside that I am hoping will come out without too much difficulty.... any thoughts?
compressed air?

they need some polishing but aside form that very decent 4 into 4 exhaust!
Dune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 09:05 PM   #30
squish
Out of the office.
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Where the Ghetto meets the sea.
Oddometer: 6,087
Dune
Good find!

Don't sweat tearing into it and making it yours.
That's the fun part about owning a common not so special motorcycle
You don't have to worry about it.

Here some of my suggestions
Don't tear into the engine unless you know for a fact something is bad inside.

PLAN then execute not the other way around.
You don't want this to end up not getting finished.

When starting a project like this I'd gather all the inspirational information I can and kind of sketch out what I want the end bike to look like.
The closer you get at this stage the cheaper it will be to finish it.

My order of working on old bikes
Get the engine to run,
Get the bike to stop
Get the lights to work
Get the suspension to work.
Get the cosmetics wrapped up

Then as Kbasa recommended
Do something on the bike (or for the bike)
everyday, doesn't matter how small, just do something.
This keeps momentum and with projects like theses it's easy to lose that.

That said this isn't my build. It's yours
And don't listen to the peanut gallery, build your bike the way you want it
Enjoy it (and take lots of photos so we can all live vicariously)
__________________
On vacation for a spell
squish is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014