User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2010, 05:14 PM   #31
Low594 OP
Adventuring Creep

Oddometer: 1,129
Here are a few pics:

I really don't like the stock mirrors, so I mounted up a pair of CRG Lanesplitters, but I don't think I'll use these either. The location is really good for vision, but I expect to take a spill or two and these won't survive. Maybe a pair of folding mirrors or I'm liking the Duke 2 and the Ducati HyperMotard mirrors. Not too worried about it til the motor runs!

I got this tailbox idea from another inmate(can't remember who) here. Its a Dewalt drill box that I Dremel'd out the seperators and painted with black plastic paint. Then my old Wolfman tank bag will sit on top, secured with paracord and maybe a bungee net.

This is my intention for a more complete dash/nav center. The orange unit is a Magellan Triton 500 (backpack/offroad GPSr), the silver/black unit is a Magellan Maestro (cheap roadway GPSr) and below the Triton is just one of many monitor units available. This particular one runs between $US25-35 and shows time, temp, batt volts (digital & LED) and has a "Black Ice Alert" LED. I'd like to find something like this that shows oil temp or pressure with a LED.
Low594 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 07:16 PM   #32
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,466
Love the older side number plate and rear fenders and that color scheme. You wont have leaky seals very often with those 50mm's keep em. Dual star makes a great tiny mirror ..

PS what piston are you using and are you going up to a 105mm?
Thanks for the 2015 support: BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, SEATCONCEPTS.COM , Galfer USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , Motolab , Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 09:13 PM   #33
Low594 OP
Adventuring Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf
Love the older side number plate and rear fenders and that color scheme.
Yes, I like it too! I'm going to see if the tank decals can be salvaged, the seat has warped them and dirt has gotten to the sticky side. Altho, I never like decals and name badges on vehicles.

Quote:
You wont have leaky seals very often with those 50mm's keep em.
That's good to hear!

Quote:
Dual star makes a great tiny mirror ..
They are a nice looking unit, but I think they are more suited to dirt use. As much as I may want it to be different, this bike will spend 80% or more of it's time on paved roads. Mostly due to my location.

Quote:
PS what piston are you using and are you going up to a 105mm?
Wossner. It should be nearer to a stock (101mm). I'm going to let the shape of the cyl. determine that. It's headed to a machine shop this week to see how deep the damage to the Nik is. Hopefully a hone will handle it. In the past, I have gotten too caught up in creating power and loosing reliablity. In this build, I will be working towards reliability and efficiency.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:40 PM   #34
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

the wossner is much nicer than oem.. am using one now and cant be happier after 6 thousand mi in the last yr..
Thanks for the 2015 support: BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, SEATCONCEPTS.COM , Galfer USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , Motolab , Loctite and Dunlop tires .
Old 04-05-2010, 03:25 AM   #35
vulture
Scavenger

Oddometer: 117
Nice looking bike. I am restoring the same year/model right now. I have most of the major tasks done, tearing into the fork and steering head bearings next.

What rear rack is that?
vulture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 08:38 PM   #36
Low594 OP
Adventuring Creep

Quote:
the wossner is much nicer than oem.. am using one now and cant be happier after 6 thousand mi in the last yr..
I discovered, thank to your rebuild thread, that the last piston in it was a Wossner, but it seems that there were alot of other contributing factors to its early demise.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:57 PM   #37
Low594 OP
Adventuring Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulture
Nice looking bike. I am restoring the same year/model right now. I have most of the major tasks done, tearing into the fork and steering head bearings next.

What rear rack is that?
It's the Pro-Moto/Fastway. It's found here, http://www.promotobillet.com/catalog...roducts_id/197 I was lucky, it came with the bike and its the best one I have seen! Scarrjaw was at my place checking it out as well and requested that I bring it to his house so we can see if it will fit on his '97 620A with the Touratech rear side tanks!

ScarrJaw and this bike is a major part of why I have gotten a KTM Adv!
Old 04-05-2010, 09:06 PM   #38
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

No the wossner is my first.. went with it for the price but was way happy when my machinist freind gave it the thumbs up!! blew my 625sxc after being WRUNG out on regular riding and raced for 40,000 mi. Problem with the sxc is it lacks 1 quart of oil (no frame res) so if you figure I ran 40,000 mi on a 60-100,000 mi motor with 1/3 less oil and no fan.. burnt up the wrist pin (like so many others) learned my lesson in 4 yrs and now have a frame with oil and fan and know whats in store for regular maintanance.. Next is to build a motor and have a 660 Adventure and my sxc as a lightly ridden back up.

ps that rear tank of your buddies is very very rare and if he doesnt want it I will put it to good use!
Old 04-05-2010, 09:36 PM   #39
katumo_jtb
bogus journeyer

Oddometer: 453
+1 on your buddy's 620A, that is one sick ride

Looks like a later engine on that bad boy though, or am I mistaken?
katumo_jtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 10:37 PM   #40
Low594 OP
Adventuring Creep

Quote:
No the wossner is my first.. went with it for the price but was way happy when my machinist freind gave it the thumbs up!! blew my 625sxc after being WRUNG out on regular riding and raced for 40,000 mi. Problem with the sxc is it lacks 1 quart of oil (no frame res) so if you figure I ran 40,000 mi on a 60-100,000 mi motor with 1/3 less oil and no fan.. burnt up the wrist pin (like so many others) learned my lesson in 4 yrs and now have a frame with oil and fan and know whats in store for regular maintanance.. Next is to build a motor and have a 660 Adventure and my sxc as a lightly ridden back up.
I was disappointed to find that my motor needs a complete rebuild, but on the other hand, I will know what has been done and where the weaknesses are likely to be.

Quote:
ps that rear tank of your buddies is very very rare and if he doesnt want it I will put it to good use!
I used a similar line on him, but i also offered to give the whole bike a nice new home. He gave me a threatening look, I backed off! He's a big guy, he looks big on a 1200GSA with boxes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katumo_jtb
+1 on your buddy's 620A, that is one sick ride
Looks like a later engine on that bad boy though, or am I mistaken?
Not sure, I'm new to these and I don't know the history on his bike.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:32 PM   #41
overlandr
Dystopist

Oddometer: 5,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low594
I tried a search here and google, I have also been working through the LC4 Index and cant find any info on a comparison of the heads. I gather that my '99 has the smallest valves, then it seems around '01 they changed the valve size, then there is the Hi Flow head. Has anyone else found or know info on this?
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=387005
overlandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:04 PM   #42
Low594 OP
Adventuring Creep

Update!

So things have been moving, but slowly. I am going to put another motor in, so that I can make it to WestFest this year, thanks Sanjoh!

Also, I got a KTM Racing airbox side cover, from another inmate.

Derek @ MotoLab got a Ignitech Sparker TCIP4 ignition module and coil, which changes the ignition from CDI to Inductive and allows the user to upload ignition curve maps into it! It also monitors the carb via a Throttle Position Sensor.

On fleabay, I won the bid on a BST40 from an '05, not that my carb was all that bad, but the new one has the TPS that I was after and turns out that the rest of the carb was in excellent shape! It'll be even better with the rebuild parts I got from MotoLab (ss screws, Ti needle, slide, etc.) and the Stenhouse mix screw.

While I have been collecting money and parts, I have been making good use of my time getting little things fixed on the rest of her.
-resoldered the IMO
-adjusted the bars, grips, control pods and levers
-rebent the Acerbis Rally guards so that I get more travel lock-to-lock before they hit the roadbook holder
-modded the SW-Motech side stand so it would stop damaging the swingarm!

Next on the list is to:
-finish the headlight rewire for direct power off the battery
-reshape the seat, yes I will be sending it to Renazco, but not til after WestFest
-finish GPSr mounts
-repair existing BMW plug
-add BMW plug to dash
-get a replacement pipe made up to delete the factory pre-muffler
-mount tailbox
Old 05-13-2010, 08:02 PM   #43
jonnyw
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 585
Save That Cylinder

I raced these crazy ass shifterkarts for years. 250 singles,125 singles and 250 twin gp motors tz-rs-rotax,ect. And since we rung the necks of these mothers for all they were worth (18k rpm&160MPH) we routinely stuck pistons. Not fun with a direct drive-better grab that clutch or you going for looped out hell of a ride!! But to my point with nikasel cylinders you can take a mild acid(meturic?) and a q-tip to dab the acid on the aluminium smeared to the walls. The aluminium will get eaten first. You will see it start to bubble. Then flush with water and repeat until its all gone. You will be suprised at how tuff nikasel lining is. I would usually run my dingleberry down the hole to freshen up the cross hatch just for good measures. I have literally done this several dozen times. Hell I remember one race at Road Atlanta I stuck the same cylinder five F-ing times in practice!! Cost me out the ass in pistons but nothing in cylinders. Give that a try before you send it off if its not too late. I just picked up a 01 640 advenure off Sanjoh 2 weeks ago I saw your new mill still in the tweaked up frame. Motor looked fine not a scratch.
jonnyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 08:26 PM   #44
Low594 OP
Adventuring Creep

Good to think about! I have decided that the original motor is going to get played with, such as overbore, hot cam, big valves and what not. So not sure it will help, but I will definitely consider that.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:27 PM   #45
jonnyw
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 585
Computer repair?

BTW Could you be more detailed on what was wrong and how did you repair your computer? Mine seems to have the same issue-resets every time you start it. Thanks
jonnyw is offline   Reply With Quote