Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2010, 06:49 AM   #76
Low594 OP
Adventuring Creep

Oddometer: 1,129
Well, the new Ignatech computer is mounted and wired along with the new coil. I rode her down to MotoLab so that Derek could perform his magic. The goals right now is to get the carb dialed in so that the motor does well on the trip, so its not wasting alot of fuel and hopefully adjust the timing so that I can stop having to carry octane booster!
Thanks for all the help Derek!

Also I got a set of DirtBags frames to keep the saddlebags tied down to and off of the exaust! Thank you GetYourOwn!

And yesterday I got a Wolfman Explorer Lite from blksilverado, which he says is used and gave me a good price on, but it looks brand new! Its just missing the clear map pocket, which I don't normally make use of anyway!

Low594 screwed with this post 07-02-2010 at 06:54 AM
Low594 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 11:52 AM   #77
Low594 OP
Adventuring Creep

I just posted this in a new thread, hopefully it can help others!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low594
I have been working on bringing a '99 640Adv back to life, check my sig for the link to the whole bike project. It's now got a motor from a 2001 640/625 Enduro, thanks to Sanjoh! It was reported to have roughly 1300 miles, and I can see no indication that this is false! The exhaust valves were still clean and all the covers I have removed still had the grey sealant! The only difference I have seen in the motors, besides color, is that the '01 doesnt have the EPC switches in the case near the neutral switch.

Enough about that. I was having trouble getting the mixture just right, so I called Derek over at Moto-Lab. He put it on the Dyno and called me to tell me there was something not quite right. It was running rich at low RPM and lean at high RPM, he went on to say that he had seen another ('00 640A) with that issue, but a rebuilt motor with the cam retarded 1 tooth. He gave me specs (both prior and corrected) and we degreed the cam and found the same numbers.

In a couple of hours, I will be taking it back to him to proceed with the tuning.
Then we will have some sort of confirmation.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:07 AM   #78
tdreyer
KTiM

Oddometer: 503

"04625 SXC
'04 625 SMC 76,xxx mi.
'97 CR500 Sold
tdreyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 08:24 PM   #79
nastT
n00b

Oddometer: 1
How is that TCIP4 working out for you? I thought it worked with stock coils. I have one on order for my TDM850 because a spare cdi cannot be found for it on this earth and a new one is $750+.
Thankfully, I was able to crack my stock cdi open and repair it. I would have been a bit pissed if that programmable unit didn't work with my coil when it showed up.
nastT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 06:54 AM   #80
Low594 OP
Adventuring Creep

It has worked good, but for athis upcoming trip, I'm back to stock. Not enough time and money to do proper dyno work to get the timing curve setup. Haven't been able to figure out tach setup, tho. KTMs tach wont run off the TCIP tach lead or off the coil ground, but havent had the time to really look into it. As for the coil, I needed one cause my stock coil was a different ohm reading and would have burned up the new comp.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:51 PM   #81
Stomp
Imprisoned Wanderlust

Oddometer: 694
Quote:

I finally got to the wiring in the dash. I added a fuse block and going to add this

for power to my accessories on the dash, GPSr, phone or whatever. As most handheld items these days charge on 5v and .5(500mA)Amps of power and most also have USB charging available this is an ideal way to go via the old method of having individual cig power adapters for each device.
I really like this idea of having USB connections on the dash, but I'm not so keen on the PCB connections on a vibrating monster like a single. I found a more waterproof DC-DC step down converter. It doesn't come with the USB connections, but that should be easy enough to pick up at Radio Shack. Wire in a fuse on the input side, mount this thing anywhere you have space and run wires to a female USB connector. I think I might go this route.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:11 PM   #82
Low594 OP
Adventuring Creep

Time for an update! Just got back from a 2 week run from San Jose, CA to Darby, Montana for WestFest2010!!! 16 days, 5 states, 3500 miles, 300 mile average days!

The bike did great! 1 minor conplication, I had checked the coolant level in Redding, CA (105*), appearantly i didnt get the cap on correctly as it seems to have disappeared with in 5 miles! Of course we didnt know what seemed to fall off the bike till a 100 miles later near Dunsmuir, CA. But the cooling system worked real well despite the high temps and lack of pressure! My dad got a cap and rode his '79 Honda CM400T from Sunnyvale, CA to Redding area (200 miles) and I rode my buddys BMW F650GS to get the cap (400 mile day!). That put us 1.5 days behind. But the cooling sys worked better with the updated cap (26psi vs 20psi cap)! It was a wonderful ride, I'm hooked and this bike sure did perform!

base of Mt Shasta, CA

Sawtooth Mountains, Idaho

Old Sawmill Station, Idaho

Battle mountain, Oregon

Checkin out the shoe tree on Hwy 26 in Oregon. Rhubarbinator on left, myself on the right!

Oregon coastline
Old 08-05-2010, 06:16 PM   #83
Low594 OP
Adventuring Creep

I do have a list of changes to the bike to perform, such as better shift lever, clutch cover protection, gas tank protection, better high beam bulb, BETTER SEAT!, etc.

Also a good list of gear changes, such as a coat with removable sleeves for hot weather, a smaller sleepbag and a better mattress pad!

And a idea of how to better pack, I had almost everything I needed, except rain gear, thank goodness I only thought I needed it. But I have a better idea of how many changes of clothes to pack!

Overall, I did well for my first run of more than 3 days!
Old 08-05-2010, 06:33 PM   #84
tileman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 852
Quote:
such as a coat with removable sleeves for hot weather, a smaller sleepbag and a better mattress pad!
Maybe have a look at the Teknic Sprint Jacket, hasn't got removable sleeves but the idea behind it is great. :1 for the exped mats but when its warm they continue that them (great for colder weather).
Old 08-05-2010, 07:40 PM   #85
Gerst
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Hi Low,
I kind of met you at WF, I was on the 07 640a. I was pretty haggarged when you came by, glad to hear the bike performed well for you. I had a chace to look over your bike when you were off eating or something, I'm going to have to look into a windscreen like yours, can't believe they shortened it in later years! Next year we'll have to get a ride in.

I'm getting older and have scraficied some weight for comfort. Last year I upgraded my sleeping pad, looked at the exped and big agnes 2.5" went with the big agnes because it lacks down. The exped must be inflated with a pillow/sack thing that keeps the moisture from your breath out of the down (down looses its insulation when wet). May or may not be a factor for you. The 2.5" pads are super plush!

I've been running the dirt bagz scout I think (the smaller). Will be looking at larger and waterprof bags in the near future. I got plenty of rain and while nothing packed in the bags needed to stay dry it would have been nice to have dry gear, plus I want to move some stuff off the pillon and into the bags. With my short inseam I would get hit in the rear by my gear on larger hits.

The crash bars you saw, work. They add weight, like 15 or 20 pounds but they work. I high sidded outside of Salida, CO on my way to RMAR and the bars saved the tank, I'm certain. A torch and prybar and they're as good as new, ok not new but still will function and look ok with some paint. Don't know if the carbon fiber gards would have provided the same level of protection.

Looking forward to WF 2011
Gerst
Gerst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 06:53 AM   #86
Low594 OP
Adventuring Creep

Gerst,
Ahh yes, it did seem that you were worn out. I too am disappointed that they changed the windscreen! On mine it is even separate from the fairing!

I have been comparing the Exped line and Big Agnes line. I am leaning towards the Big Agnes, for a couple of reasons, such as the Exped airbag, lower prices and I am quite impressed with their forward thinking like the sleepbag that is thinner on the bottom and has a slot for the air mattress to slid in!

For luggage, my streetbike panniers worked just not well. I prefer soft luggage, so i am leaning towards the Wolfman stuff, but for work/daily use I am getting hard boxes, they will fit my tools and lunchbox. Im a commercial electrician.

Who made your crash bars?

I was happy to see a few other 640A's attending WestFest, maybe next year we can get a ride going on! If you are ever near San Jose, CA, let me know and you've got a place to stay and ride!
Old 08-06-2010, 11:07 AM   #87
ChrisC
Amal sex?

Oddometer: 6,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerst
I'm going to have to look into a windscreen like yours, can't believe they shortened it in later years!
Laminar Lip

ChrisC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 11:50 AM   #88
katumo_jtb
bogus journeyer

Oddometer: 453
Congrats on the build! I saw this bike when it was for sale but didn't need another project at the time. I'm glad it went to someone who put it to good use.
katumo_jtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 02:08 PM   #89
Low594 OP
Adventuring Creep

I forgot that there was a Laminar Lip for them, I wonder if it also fits the earlier style screen with the rolled edge

Katumo- Thank you! Yes a few times i have been frustrated at myself, but it has paid off in the end. Love this bike!
Old 08-08-2010, 10:47 AM   #90
Gerst
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
The crash bars are from Holan http://holanusa.com/holan-crashbar-p...lc4-p-299.html

Thanks ChrisC, I'll be looking into the Lip.

Gerst
Attached Images

Gerst is offline   Reply With Quote