Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2010, 08:41 AM   #1
LookOutLinn OP
Strom Trooper

Oddometer: 257
Question Baja Motorsports 70cc Dirt Bike?

(Not sure if this is the right place to start this thread)

I've got a 10 year old daughter that rides a friends Honda 50cc dirt bike like a dream (but it's small for her size).... I want to to get her cheap 70 cc size dirt bike: Something that she can learn on, have fun, and then grow out of. My budget is $550.00. I've looked and looked for a used Honda 70cc (and simular sized bikes) with no success. The normal asking price is around $800-$1200. My local Tractor Supply Store is having a sale this coming weekend and I can get a new Baja Motorsports 70cc Dirt Bike for $540.00. My plan is for her to ride around the house and up/down fire roads with her dad. I figure that if the bike lasts her 2-3 years, I'll have gotten more than my money worth out of it. Does anyone have experience/opinions? Let me know.
LookOutLinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:58 AM   #2
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,737
Those things are terrible. Buy something better off of ebay and have it shipped to you. The SSR brand is higher quality.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:03 PM   #3
cdnabn49
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
I wouldn't say they're terrible - we have had one for 2 years - not bad at all
is a better description - it's not a honda/yamaha etc so don't expect that quality... if you're looking for a cheap learner bike they work...

I had mine left crated and I assembled it myself - it was truely easy... make sure you immediately change the oil and check the bolts and chain tension - some PDI people should be scraping gum off the floor not assembling motorcycles.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:47 PM   #4
r00t4rd3d
ADV Rider

Oddometer: 895
Dont Do It !

This is 8 miles from you.

Honda XR 80 2003 - $600

http://modesto.craigslist.org/mcy/1611714418.html

89 Miles from you.

Honda 03 XR 70 - $750

http://fresno.craigslist.org/mcy/1609643581.html

Use craiglook and you can find something in your area and your price range.

http://craiglook.com/

03 Honda XR250R

r00t4rd3d screwed with this post 03-22-2010 at 01:02 PM
r00t4rd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 01:54 PM   #5
LookOutLinn OP
Strom Trooper

Thumb Ssr

Thanks for the info. I went to this website:

http://www.powersportsmax.com/index.php

And I'm looking at this bike:

http://www.powersportsmax.com/produc...ducts_id/13954

Per the telephone rep, It's made by SSR. Looks fun, but I'm worried that it might be to much motor for her. The seat height looks fine (She couldn't go much higher). Note: This one is Red Stickered.

They have a 70cc too:

http://www.powersportsmax.com/produc...roducts_id/510

But it's seat is a little short (25 inches) and the tires are smaller. Afraid she'll grow out of it fast. On the plus, It's Green Stickered.

Root4rd3d: Thanks!!! I've called the Groveland area bike seller. Your right, it's only 8 miles from me (that takes 45 minute to drive if you take the fast way via Old Wards Ferry Road!!! ) It's funny, I've been looking on Craig's List in the Modesto & Gold Country area for weeks...

Thanks for all the info... If you got more, let me know.

Old 03-22-2010, 02:17 PM   #6
byron555
Lame Duck Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,054
Go With a Used Honda etc

Go with a used name brand bike Honda, Yamaha etc. I looked at the Chinese brands, and they are a good deal new, but when it comes time to sell them used, no one wants to buy them.

If you find an xr70 for around $650, you will probably get $550 for it 6 years down the road (maybe even more), so long as it is not beat to crap. 6 year old china bike bike? Who knows, but you will not get $500 that is certain
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=997633
byron555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 02:52 PM   #7
Bonebag
ADDvrider

Oddometer: 5,345
Alot of guys around here wont even work on chinese bikes..not for any money..no way..they are pure junk in every way..and that means not safe..

+1 on the Honda
Bonebag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 02:55 PM   #8
71olds
Motorholic

Oddometer: 1,089
The motors on the Chinese bikes are not bad but all that hardware is super cheesy. & you cant get parts for your life.

I picked my daugher up a 2003 yamaha ttr90 last year for 500.oo no issues & runs perfect
00 Suzuki DRZ400S
71olds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 03:03 PM   #9
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Oddometer: 7,919
We got a pair of the 90cc models, they are what they are. CHEAP.
One is being used as a parts bike, my brother bought them new. Then because he is not a bike person, let them set outside for over year and I adopted them. The one for parts runs, but has an oil leak from the crank case split gasket. The other one was running great so I decided to use the second for parts.

After laying in the field for a year, I clean the carbs and two kicks later was running. My boy (age 8) has ridden the soup outta the thing. It never fails to start, if the gas is clean. It has help up well to field riding. Just what it is designed for.

A good learner bike. Nothing more nothing less.
That being said, I got a CRF50 honda in the shop that has fire, compression, etc, but I can't make it run for anything. I've given up on it and just let it collect dust.

The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
https://sites.google.com/site/ozarkadventuretours/

Zecatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 05:45 PM   #10
ACDNate
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonebag
Alot of guys around here wont even work on chinese bikes..not for any money..no way..they are pure junk in every way..and that means not safe..

+1 on the Honda
Yep total junk, particularly my $600 OTD Chinese bike

2007 Honda CRF150R
2005 Honda CRF100F
ACDNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 05:52 PM   #11
LookOutLinn OP
Strom Trooper

Question

Was that a joke?
Old 03-22-2010, 06:32 PM   #12
r00t4rd3d
ADV Rider

Oddometer: 895
The dirt bikes are alittle different. They are basically Honda clones and alot easier to fab up a broken part for.

Originally you were looking at them adult sized mini bikes right ?

03 Honda XR250R

r00t4rd3d screwed with this post 03-22-2010 at 06:38 PM
r00t4rd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 06:50 PM   #13
ACDNate
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookOutLinn
Was that a joke?
Yeah sarcasm that apparently didn't land

The bike is a Galaxy Motorcycles and rebadged as a SMC. Essentially a knock off KTM 85sx Frame and swing arm with a knockoff Honda 150 air cooled engine. Suspension a bit light for my 230lb frame, but sorted out nicely with the addition of a WP shock and spring.
2007 Honda CRF150R
2005 Honda CRF100F
ACDNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 07:03 PM   #14
kdxkawboy
Mr. NVKLRGirl

Oddometer: 2,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookOutLinn
Your right, it's only 8 miles from me (that takes 45 minute to drive if you take the fast way via Old Wards Ferry Road!!! )
I may be one of the few people that truly understand the humor of Wards Ferry Road being the fast way, like taking Cottonwood Road as the shortcut to Yosemite. And you are right, Sonora Pass is one of the best motorcycle roads and how lucky to have it in your own back yard (though Cottonwood, Big Hill, Beardsley Lake, Old Strawberry and Parrot's Ferry Roads aren't too shabby either).

And I'd stick with the Honda XRs, or perhaps a Kawasaki KLX110. Get them cheap and after a few years you sell it to anther Dad looking for a a good deal.

kdxkawboy screwed with this post 03-22-2010 at 07:09 PM
kdxkawboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 05:49 AM   #15
scottro
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 438
I've got a Baja Motorsports Dirt Runner 70

I got it from PepBoys on a Black Friday $399 deal-io. IMO For the money, and if you're willing to do a little maintenance they're not a bad deal. However, if you're not mechanically inclined w/ a hint of McGuiverism, they're probably not the best purchase. If you do your own work, these bikes can be a pretty good deal.

I had to do a little carb tuning to get it to start and idle properly after I got it home, but I didn't expect otherwise by something assembled by the delinquents at Pep Boyz. I also had to adjust the rear brake and tighten various nuts and bolts. This was as I expected.

The bike runs and shifts fine. The motor is a Honda clone and seems pretty nicely built and finished. I changed the oil immediately before running the bike. I've heard horror stories about the fish oil included from China.

Contrary to popular advice, I have found that Chinese pit bike parts are very easy to find and cheap on Ebay, and the internet in general. I see no big deal w/ this since I buy most of the parts for my BMW and Japanese bikes on the internet too. There are many pit bike sellers and sites on the web. These bikes are not going away soon.

Most shops around here probably won't work on them, but if I can buy a brand-new upgrade motor for $200--$300, or new bike for $400-$500 I"m not paying a local shop $60/hr to do much work.

The plastics are cheap and break easily. You'll have to fix and replace them now and then. About $25 gets you a new set on Ebay, or you can upgrade w/ better stuff from Japanese bikes.

The controls are kinda cheap too. You'll probably end-up fixing the throttle a few times before replacing it too.

I don't really care about resale. It's a $500 bike. Three years from now, I don't care if it's only worth $150--$200. The $500 laptop I'm typing this on will be worth far less.

Everything else on the bike is solid, but not refined. It has a peppy Honda clone engine and is a hoot to ride. Your kid will love it. I've got 3 Chinese pit bikes and for the intended purpose they're fine.

I'm not saying don't get a used XR75 or whatever. Just saying the Baja Motorsports bike isn't all bad.
scottro is offline   Reply With Quote