Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2010, 05:30 AM   #166
SafariBerg
Oz Safari Addict

Oddometer: 2,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durwood
Sor

That said, I am looking at the Australian Safari as an option !!
Good choice

if you need/want any help, info etc just ask me or Jaybo etc glad to help where we can if you are keen to come out for it
Old 05-04-2010, 10:27 AM   #167
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007

No stress...But there´s no turning back - I paid my registration fees today. Im going.
yer first rally!! do you think you are ready? How can we track your progress? There has to be a site where we can watch the race, right?

Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 04:06 PM   #168
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,572
Quote:
The route snaked its way out across the same plain we rode earlier in the day but continued further into and over a range of hills before dropping into a wide plain with nasty wash running in the middle of it. The road book said "Follow the wash for 4 miles". So I rode into the wash and thrashed along it ignoring the other tracks leading out if it onto easier ground. Riding in a narrow riverbed is exhausting, theres lots of holes, driftwood, rocks and sand all mixed up. It was exhausting and very very hot and no cooling wind. The bike started getting hot again, but I made it through without incident. Later everyone had a good laugh when I told Scott that there were no fresh tracks following the route as indicated, apparently I should have followed the wash, not ridden the wash! Ah well. Thats why I´m a n00b.
Here's that roadbook entry. It's a thin line . . . between love and hate!

HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 04:20 PM   #169
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild

you couldnt read the tiny roadbook words "ride along the wash" at 120 kh??

Quote:
Old 05-04-2010, 07:55 PM   #170
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 5,316
Actually Scott, I was loving those washes by the end of the weekend, then again I wasn't riding as fast as Neil either.
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk

skibum69 screwed with this post 05-04-2010 at 08:07 PM
skibum69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:55 PM   #171
Bluebull2007 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild

Yeah, I see now that if I just looked and read the tulip correctly I would have followed just next to the wash. Im curious now, was it really four miles to the next tulip? It felt like 10 miles! Im thinking now in the cold light of reflection that it was probably less than 3 miles...
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 09:13 PM   #172
Bluebull2007 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta
yer first rally!! do you think you are ready? How can we track your progress? There has to be a site where we can watch the race, right?

Yep Im definitely going to the RALLY DOS SERTÕES.

Am I ready you ask? Going on the way I feel today, far from it. I think Im a bit depressed really, not sure why. I know it will pass in time. I went on a training ride again for the first time scince the rally school and it was awful. My hands cramped onto the bars, I fell down twice, nothing serious, but enough to gash open my burn wounds on the 2nd fall in a rocky section. I was exhausted and pissed off with myself. It was just not my day. I after my second flop, I cut the trip short only 40km out even though I had just previously had a serious talk with myself not to be a pissie, and to just man up and ride. Quite embarressing now that I think about it. "Oh, how far he hath fallen." Its worth mentioning that I´m not this super-tough camel-man some you think I might be, and not all my posts are going to be bright and cheery. This is for myself as well, and I have a need to post what I am experiencing be it good or bad.

At least on the way back I diverted and did a technical section along the side of a mountain quite well, but probably because my mind was not on it. Oh, And I successfully crossed a deepish river twice, albeit a relatively smooth & easy crossing.

I spent the rest of the day moping about unable to work properly, unable to do anything really apart from sending my proof of deposit through to the organisation. I guess its good to have bad days because that´s what makes a good day great. Also I read that its never good to trust in how you feel when youre trying to grow in character. Feelings should not get in the way of your vision. So I´m just going to put my shoulder to the wheel and work through this.

Sitting here and thinking about it, part of my misery stems from the fact that my hands were both very sore, the burns have not healed yet, and my left middle finger swelled up nicely from feathering the clutch. I must have broken a bone there in March, even thought the x-ray never showed anything up. Ive been living and riding with this for some time now, and I guess its catching up on me. So I´ve resolved to R & R for another two weeks. Not riding will give it a chance to heal properly. I will nevertheless continue with my gym sessions, but focus on torso and legs only during this time. I´ll also use the time to get a lot of the paperwork out of the way, get my FIM licence, do the medical checks, get the medical insurance, sort out logistics and read up on nutrition and other stuff like that.

How will you be able to track my progress on the rally? We have to have tracking devices on the bikes for the Sertoes, so Im hoping there will be a tracking website like they are having for the NPO races in Africa. I plan to phone in to rally radio, I hope Packmule will show me how to do it and post my calls here and on the sertoes thread as well. Then there is the organization website http://www.sertoes.com as well. You have an option on the top right to switch to english.

Time to motivate myself with a couple of photos from last years Dos Sertoes:

Yes there´s dunes in Brazil too!

River crossings is another big challenge on Sertoes. There are over 100 rivers to cross.

Only 13 weeks to go 98 days....... I´m more positive already!

Cheers

Neil

Click here to jump to the next post.

Bluebull2007 screwed with this post 05-31-2010 at 01:48 AM
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 10:04 PM   #173
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,572
Quote:
Im curious now, was it really four miles to the next tulip? It felt like 10 miles! Im thinking now in the cold light of reflection that it was probably less than 3 miles...
It was 1.58 miles. Apparently this was the wash from hell for you!
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:15 PM   #174
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Quote:

Sitting here and thinking about it, part of my misery stems from the fact that my hands were both very sore, the burns have not healed yet, and my left middle finger swelled up nicely from feathering the clutch. I must have broken a bone there in March, even thought the x-ray never showed anything up. Ive been living and riding with this for some time now, and I guess its catching up on me. So I´ve resolved to R & R for another two weeks. Not riding will give it a chance to heal properly. I will nevertheless continue with my gym sessions, but focus on torso and legs
Cheers
dood - take a few weeks, eat LOTS Of protein, play video games, get your mind out of there, take some pictures, go bird watching, take a basket weaving class, heal up nice and strong.... once your healed and bored of all the rest of that crap....

GO KICK ASS AT YOUR FIRST RALLY!!!!

we're all here knowing you're going to kick ass!! So go heal up, get back to being strong again and KICK SOME ASS!!!

Quote:
Old 05-04-2010, 11:22 PM   #175
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,280
Quote:
you couldnt read the tiny roadbook words "ride along the wash" at 120 kh??

Correct, but then again this was the training road book which had extra detail added. A real rally routebook would not have that extra little bit of text. And its good to note that its easy to sit at your computer and look at the tulip diagram and see all the detail. Its quite another thing to be on the bike going 30 to 70 mph over rough terrain and catch all the detail with a couple of micro glances. It takes a while to get used to extrapolating all the information thats in that note. Aside from the mileage, the tulip shows how the road hardly changes direction, comes into parallel with a wash which will approach on the riders right, and at this point the road will remain above the wash.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:41 AM   #176
Bicycle Phil
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 685
Quote:
dood - take a few weeks, eat LOTS Of protein, play video games, get your mind out of there, take some pictures, go bird watching, take a basket weaving class, heal up nice and strong.... once your healed and bored of all the rest of that crap....

GO KICK ASS AT YOUR FIRST RALLY!!!!

we're all here knowing you're going to kick ass!! So go heal up, get back to being strong again and KICK SOME ASS!!!

+1

When I rode with you Neil I was impressed with your bike handling and ability to adapt quickly to desert terrain.
Any little problems you experienced at the rally school/training are part of the learning process...a good thing!

so.....as eatpasta might say:

GO OUT KICK SOME ASS AND TAKE NAMES LATER

Thank you: MX1West, Renazco Racing, KTM Twins, Rally Management Services
Bicycle Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:49 AM   #177
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 5,316
That's what I liked about you Phil, always a nice compliment to make you feel better while flailing away out there
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 10:00 AM   #178
JayBo1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durwood
That said, I am looking at the Australian Safari as an option .
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafariBerg
Good choice

if you need/want any help, info etc just ask me or Jaybo etc glad to help where we can if you are keen to come out for it
Absolutely glad to help . I've previously assisted with getting some Kiwis over and SB is right into the helping guys (and gals actually) in getting here for the Safari so just yell out if you need anything .
#101 Dakar 2015, Kiwi Safari Team, Perth, WA
KTM 450 Rally ... Dakar ready
KTM 530 EXC-R
Cagiva 750 Elefant - Lucky Explorer '88
JayBo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 12:30 PM   #179
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S
And its good to note that its easy to sit at your computer and look at the tulip diagram and see all the detail. Its quite another thing to be on the bike going 30 to 70 mph over rough terrain and catch all the detail with a couple of micro glances.
no, please dont get me wrong - I was being VERY sarcastic. Personally, I can hardly ride through the desert without crashing and that's DEVOID of having to read Crime and Punishment during the stage and having a test on it at the end of the day.

Quote:
Old 05-05-2010, 02:12 PM   #180
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,280
Quote:
no, please dont get me wrong - I was being VERY sarcastic. Personally, I can hardly ride through the desert without crashing and that's DEVOID of having to read Crime and Punishment during the stage and having a test on it at the end of the day.

i figured you were being sarcastic....but it was more of my own observation. I have looked over these notes many a time in a relaxed atmosphere and thought nothing about it. Then I go out and ride (a bit slower then some) and my brain liquefies and runs out my ears and left and right become confusing.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote