Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2010, 11:17 AM   #256
XR Valdeez
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Nice Bike!

Neil!

Bike looks good! I wish you the best of luck on your venture! Next time i'm down your way, you gotta take me for a ride! Sucks we didn't have more time to screw around down there! I'll be keeping up on your progress!

Steve

CURRENT POSITION
XR Valdeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 03:20 PM   #257
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastplace
This thread is a bit quiet, so I thought I'd post a photo of Neil's bike after a shake-down ride near our shop. Not done, but mostly:

fun fun
Charlie
Looking really good there Charlie - I do like that rear tank and revised air-box set up...

Out of interest, are you using a fuel pump on the front tanks (is that one I can see below the left hand front tank?) - which kind is it - I have the Mikuni one you'd fit on a KTM (sort of flat and squarish), but can't mount it there because that is where my fuel tap is...

I need to get out in the shed next week and get the bike back together, so will fiddle around - but wondered if you had any pointers?

Jenny xx

ps. really liking the white paintwork... that's given me an idea... oh, I already had it - mines in the shop at the moment!
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 01:58 PM   #258
lastplace
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet)
Out of interest, are you using a fuel pump on the front tanks (is that one I can see below the left hand front tank?) - which kind is it - I have the Mikuni one you'd fit on a KTM (sort of flat and squarish), but can't mount it there because that is where my fuel tap is...
Jenny,
All 3 tanks run through the fuel pump. I suggest that you move your fuel tap and put the pump where Neil's is. The pump should be as low as possible and out of the way. Move the fuel tap to somewhere where you can reach it while sitting on the bike. Use fuel line sturdy enough not to collapse at all with the vacuum.
fun fun
Charlie
lastplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 05:38 PM   #259
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastplace
Jenny,
All 3 tanks run through the fuel pump. I suggest that you move your fuel tap and put the pump where Neil's is. The pump should be as low as possible and out of the way. Move the fuel tap to somewhere where you can reach it while sitting on the bike. Use fuel line sturdy enough not to collapse at all with the vacuum.
fun fun
Charlie
Funny you should suggest that - I bought a load more fuel hose the other day, with just that in mind... x
Old 06-22-2010, 03:19 PM   #260
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 4,852
Nice work Charlie, it definitely looks a bit different than the last time I saw it.
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 02:15 PM   #261
Bluebull2007 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR Valdeez
Neil!

Bike looks good! I wish you the best of luck on your venture! Next time i'm down your way, you gotta take me for a ride! Sucks we didn't have more time to screw around down there! I'll be keeping up on your progress!

Steve

Thanks Steve! Yeah, next time you come down give me a heads up, you can stay with us, and we will definitely do some riding.
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 02:26 PM   #262
Bluebull2007 OP
Adventurer

Sorry its taken me so long to update, its been very busy here.

We are basically running two parallel threads here now, because Im part of the Team Rally Wild West. Check out Dave's thread here.

Right now the team consists of Dave (GSNorCal), Phil (BicyclePhil) and myself. The other guys have basically all dropped out or joined other teams.

Right now we are in the throes of finalizing paperwork, organising support vehicles and mechanics etc. I've had a hell of a day trying to get a suitable van for the the support crew, and it seems very, very difficult indeed to find the right vehicle.

I just got our quote for shipping the bikes. We are flying them into Brasilia and shipping out of Fortaleza on the coast. While I recover from the shock of the cost and negotiate the van hire for the trip, I thought I would post a couple more pics and discuss some of the farkles and the JVO rally kit.

Charlie Rausseo (Lastplace) from Rally Panam has done a sterling job, this is their first Yamaha WR 450 rally build.

The seat was done by Renazco, another outstanding outfit in California. It had to be remoulded anyway because the stock seat does not fit the rear tank setup and the air intake in the front. It is very, very plush to sit on compared to the stock 450 KTM seat. I cannot comment on the Yammie seat, because I never got to use it!

The rear tank is nice, some storage space on top. The front subframe bracket has been welded to the bike because it broke when I was running it in. Its still detachable above the bracket on the stronger adjusting bolts, though.

In this pic you can also see the bash plate lying in front of the bike with the water tank/bladder fitted (a requirement only for the Dakar).

Here is a pic of the fuel pump (bottom left) for sucking the last couple of litres out of the front tanks, the new fuel filter, bigger radiator and radiatar fan.

Rear tank with heat cladding over the exhaust. In the front you can see the air filter. The airbox is a lot bigger and this will improve the engine performance as well. With the airbox up top, I will stress a lot less about getting water in the engine too.

The rear subframe with tank, spare air filter lying on top. I'll be fitting some of my spares and tools in there.

Additional rear lights fitted, they will be one permanently and bright when braking; this is an FIM requirement for most competitions.

Looking towards the front you can see how the air-intake has been re-routed as well as the petcock for the front and rear tanks.

Other photos of the JVO air box. Its really tight, we had to grind the end off the shock bolt to get it in.

And finally, the bigger front disc (I think this is the same size as the front disc on the Tenere - can anyone advize me?). Also we have started protecting key leads, in this case the ICO lead.

Old 06-25-2010, 04:12 AM   #263
skibum69
slave to gravity

Looks grear Neil, JB and I were talking about you last night and wondering when we can take you up on your invite for riding dunes
Old 06-25-2010, 02:46 PM   #264
Bluebull2007 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum69
Looks grear Neil, JB and I were talking about you last night and wondering when we can take you up on your invite for riding dunes

Howzit Mike. It's very possible, but perhaps a little bit early to confirm things. Can we talk about this maybe a month after our rallies? I need to do some damage control at home after the rallye if you get my drift, and I think the idea of more racing so close to the Sertoes is going to go down like a lead balloon!

I also have to find some suitable bikes for you, looks like you may end up on Honda 650s at the moment!

Anyway the idea is good and it would be great to have you guys out here and ride with you again. Perhaps at the end of the year. I'd love to do a roadbook, but am not sure how practical it will be seeing there aren't many bikes with roadbook around here! Another final question mark is about my work, the mine Im on is being sold as we speak and I need to negotiate a solid package with the new owners so I can afford to race Dakar in 2012

That could be a problem...I hope not, but it may thrwo a spanner in the works.

Lets chat in Sept/Oct about this.

Neil
Old 06-25-2010, 07:52 PM   #265
skibum69
slave to gravity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007
Howzit Mike. It's very possible, but perhaps a little bit early to confirm things. Can we talk about this maybe a month after our rallies? I need to do some damage control at home after the rallye if you get my drift, and I think the idea of more racing so close to the Sertoes is going to go down like a lead balloon!

I also have to find some suitable bikes for you, looks like you may end up on Honda 650s at the moment!

Anyway the idea is good and it would be great to have you guys out here and ride with you again. Perhaps at the end of the year. I'd love to do a roadbook, but am not sure how practical it will be seeing there aren't many bikes with roadbook around here! Another final question mark is about my work, the mine Im on is being sold as we speak and I need to negotiate a solid package with the new owners so I can afford to race Dakar in 2012

That could be a problem...I hope not, but it may thrwo a spanner in the works.

Lets chat in Sept/Oct about this.

Neil
yeah, I've got big trouble at home and may be single by August. I think for all of us in the New year MIGHT be the only option. Doesn't matter as long as we're having fun! Giv 'er I says, giv 'er!!!
Old 06-26-2010, 01:27 PM   #266
wrk2surf
BITD/Rallye

Oddometer: 5,964
aaahhhhhhhhh you guys are finding out what wives REALLY think about our racing hobby and the costs and dangers ... I learned not to say too much...
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 01:35 PM   #267
skibum69
slave to gravity

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf
aaahhhhhhhhh you guys are finding out what wives REALLY think about our racing hobby and the costs and dangers ... I learned not to say too much...
oh I wasn't, we were out for dinner and David asking me in earshot of the girl. We'll see when it bubbles up again.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:46 PM   #268
Bluebull2007 OP
Adventurer

With the new tanks, the seat is a bit higher, but not much. The biggest change is the front tanks and I rode the bike with only those on in April, this is what it looked like back then :

I find the seat height comfortable and I could put my feet flat on the ground so even if its a little higher now, I think I will be fine.

We are busy with painting the Springbok on the bike, Im hoping it will be done tomorrow. We will be shipping the bike by air I think in the 2nd week of July. This will give the import agents time to make sure they can clear customs. We still have to finalize the bike carnets as well.

Charlie had the jetting changed and the carb tuned very rich for the 25% ethanol content in the Brazilian fuel. I'm told running it rich is the best way to start it that side. Any comments/pointers/advice on how to fiddle the carb to run on this stuff would be most welcome. I believe the carb is exactly the same as the KTM 450 so I guess I'll need to play around with mine in Lima for a bit. Does anyone have a good link for a noob to learn a bit more about this?

Rally Support & Logistics

Originally our team it was going to be 5 riders, but one american dropped out and our Argentinian friend joined another team that will aslo be doing the Dakar in January.

His mechanic & assistant were also in on the deal so on less than two weeks ago we suddenly had no mechanic. It was early enough for us to do something about it and between Des McDonald (Rally Panam, and now our team manager) and Antonio, we have a new mechanic. We will also be sharing the bivouac with their team who bring a lot of experience to our relatively inexperienced team.

So Team Rally Wild West now consist fo three riders, and four support crew, riding in a VW Kombi. Not ideal, but all we could find (Merc Sprinters are not availible it seems).

So the team currently stands at seven(3 riders, 4 support) . Thats 2 x7 single flights, 7 entrant fees, 7 mouths to feed and 7 people to add to the ±2,000 other competitors, support teams, organisation, medical staff, journalists and rally enthusiasts who will be charging from south to north across Brazil in 47 days time...

Whats still to arrange? PLENTY.

If you want to visit the website for the 2010 DOS SERTÕES Rally, here it is: http://www.sertoes.com/Ing_index.html

To wet your appetites, here is a video on last years 2009 Dos Sertões, there is some pretty hectic riding footage:

[IMG][/IMG]

Cheers for now.

Neil

Bluebull2007 screwed with this post 06-29-2010 at 07:51 PM
Old 06-30-2010, 12:44 AM   #269
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Hee hee - you watched that video and still want to subject your beautiful brand new bike to all that?!

Rock on!

J xx
Old 06-30-2010, 05:53 AM   #270
skibum69
slave to gravity

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet)
Hee hee - you watched that video and still want to subject your beautiful brand new bike to all that?!

Rock on!

J xx
I can't watch the video yet but he's already tossed it down the trail at speed so he's over that already